What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (2 Viewers)

Finally got some sleep and decompressing.....what a roller coaster 24 hrs!  

going into FA I wanted OL help, pas rush help and playmakers - stud difference makers that OC/DCs had to scheme for....Where they stand right now =- 

additions - 

Osemele - G - added a top guard on a reasonable 2 yr dea around $10M perl.....best OL on the team

Crowder - WR - great slot guy with upside - if not injured last yr would have commanded a much bigger deal than $8M for 3 - upgrades the offense and definitely a potential breakout playmaker

Bellamy - cheap signing - stud ST and depth WR

Anderson - was best pass rusher last yr - very good in 3-4 which will still be base or rotated - 3 yrs $8M per very fair

Mosely - best ILB in league IMO- definite overpay at $17M but as we saw with Barr they had to do it - absolute pro bowl playmaker for D and leader

Bell - top 5 RB in league - great blocker and receiver - instantly upgrades offense and helps Sam....absolute pro bowl playmaker for the O

I have them still around $35M depending on the contracts - they nailed the playmakers and added some other solid pieces - need to grab a center (Sullivan?) and a CB then go depth....unless they get Houston , Anash or a pass rusher they should stay put and grab Bosa/Allen....Im not to up for a trade back at this point....

draft best pass rusher that falls to 3 and then OL/WR in the 3rd rd....next yr 1st rd pick should be OL/WR again.....either way the window is here....the defense is playoff ready and if Sam develops this should be a playoff O.....man am I happy!!!

Excellent playmakers added on both sides of the ball. Definitely something Jets fans can celebrate. I can only hope that Loggains/Gase are as bad as advertised. ;)

The Jets are letting Myers go.  If two things about Mac are certain, he won't pay for kickers and draft linemen early. I hope he breaks the latter at some point.

The Jets are letting Myers go.  If two things about Mac are certain, he won't pay for kickers and draft linemen early. I hope he breaks the latter at some point.
I like Myers but I have to give the benefit to Mac on this.....he has usually found good kickers and let them go when they want $....usually they are up and down with 90% being cheap.....I'll see how it pans out but can't rip him on it.....now about that C position......

Jason Myers‏Verified account @JayMy_31 28m28 minutes ago

Thank you jets fans! I had a hell of a year in New York. I’ll truly cherish my time there and It’ll always hold a special place in my heart. You welcomed me and my family with support and love, and I’ll forever be thankful!
I'm not sure what he was looking for but a good kicker could mean the difference in 1-3 wins which could be the difference to making or not making the playoffs - just ask Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure what he was looking for but a good kicker could mean the difference in 1-3 wins which could be the difference to making or not making the playoffs - just ask Pittsburgh.
True, but that might be a bad example. They paid their kicker ($4m?) and he had an awful year. They wouldn't cut him because they were on the hook for so much money.

Myers had a great year, but wasn't good before this. Hard to commit big bucks and term.

Or Cleveland. But we don't know what he was asking, for how long, etc. I'm willing to give the GM the benefit of the doubt on this one. 

Looks like Ingram's deal was three years for fifteen million dollars. Not feeling so great about the Bell signing right now.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Or Cleveland. But we don't know what he was asking, for how long, etc. I'm willing to give the GM the benefit of the doubt on this one. 

Looks like Ingram's deal was three years for fifteen million dollars. Not feeling so great about the Bell signing right now.  
saw this floating around, don't feel to bad...  this was a good signing

Most yards from scrimmage per game in NFL history, minimum 50 games played: 1. Le’Veon Bell: 129.0 2. Jim Brown: 125.5 3. Billy Sims: 119.6 4. Barry Sanders: 118.9 5. Terrell Davis: 113.9 

Myers signed with Seattle - curious to see how much. I don't believe its good to overpay for a kicker necessarily especially one who has only "proven it" for one season, but I doubt he's braking the bank.​

Manish Mehta‏Verified account @MMehtaNYDN 3m3 minutes ago

Jets are not expected to bring back Pro Bowler returner Andre Roberts, per sources. So NYJ is letting both special teams Pro Bowlers walk. Kicker Jason Myers will sign with the Seahawks, per sources.
So they're letting 2 of their 3 Pro-Bowl players walk away.

Honestly Roberts was pretty amazing last season but how many times does that happen in consecutive seasons anyway?

So they're letting 2 of their 3 Pro-Bowl players walk away.

Honestly Roberts was pretty amazing last season but how many times does that happen in consecutive seasons anyway?
We haven't had a good returner in forever. I can live without Myers, but I hate this move especially when we had so much cap room.

Id rather have Roberts back than Myers...but I like the ST coach and think he may have had a strong hand in both....not gonna lost it on these...but will if they dont sign a solid center!  

We haven't had a good returner in forever. I can live without Myers, but I hate this move especially when we had so much cap room.
Yeah but Roberts never had a season like that before last season and the odds are he'll never have one like that again. Would I prefer him back to test that theory out? Sure I would but I can't be terribly upset by it, especially since we retained our special teams coach who probably identified some guys that could fill the role. As bad as Trenton Cannon was as a RB if they can get him to hold onto kicks, I think he could be a decent kick returner.

Myers gets a 4 yr deal worth $14-15M - wow - happy for him but MAc was absolutely right to pass....thats crazy $ for a kicker with one good yr....

Yeah but Roberts never had a season like that before last season and the odds are he'll never have one like that again. Would I prefer him back to test that theory out? Sure I would but I can't be terribly upset by it, especially since we retained our special teams coach who probably identified some guys that could fill the role. As bad as Trenton Cannon was as a RB if they can get him to hold onto kicks, I think he could be a decent kick returner.
Our special teams were 30th and 20th prior to last year under Boyer. Maybe he's a really good coach and maybe we just got better ST players last year, but Roberts was a dynamic returner that made a ton of great returns.  I don't get why mess with something that is finally working (and best in the league) when we have the cap room. Over what, maybe a million dollars?  That's just me.

Our special teams were 30th and 20th prior to last year under Boyer. Maybe he's a really good coach and maybe we just got better ST players last year, but Roberts was a dynamic returner that made a ton of great returns.  I don't get why mess with something that is finally working (and best in the league) when we have the cap room. Over what, maybe a million dollars?  That's just me.
I'd sign him - I just can't get too upset over him leaving. I'm not even sure it's a given that he doesn't come back - maybe they're just letting him test the waters?

I'd sign him - I just can't get too upset over him leaving. I'm not even sure it's a given that he doesn't come back - maybe they're just letting him test the waters?
He kind of insulted the organization, so I doubt it. When a fan asked for his thoughts on Mehta's tweet, Roberts said "it tells you about the organization".

Sigh

To start over Winters?

Darryl Roberts got $18m over 3 years. I guess he's our second CB now?
Roberts played well last year.

Not sure is Sitton would start or be depth. Winters played fairly well, but Sitton former Pro Bowler. Unfortunately I don’t thing either (or Osemele) can move to center.

Houston, O-Line Help, and of course a center is next on my wish list...

3rd pick is coming into focus, looks like it should have some very good value if Murray can stick to being a top 3... someone may also want Haskins....

3rd pick is coming into focus, looks like it should have some very good value if Murray can stick to being a top 3... someone may also want Haskins....
I would love Justin Houston. I don't know what the hell they will do at center.  They need a slot CB (Poole I guess). Surprised that we haven't heard anything about Callahan.

I would love Justin Houston. I don't know what the hell they will do at center.  They need a slot CB (Poole I guess). Surprised that we haven't heard anything about Callahan.
They resigned Jonathan Harrison who was decent after he replaced Long last season - obviously I'd prefer for that to have just been a depth signing but anyone they sign on the market is likely not going to make much of a difference at this point. Mac may need to get his scouts looking at the draft, but that's a tough position for a rookie to come into - especially with what will be at best a third round rookie.

They still need to find a backup QB as well, if McCown is really considering retirement. I think Davis Webb is a free agent. My preference would be a veteran but not one that will cost any significant money like Tannehill.

MAc's tenure has been filled with a little luck at the top of the draft where top players fall....I can easily see a scenario where Murray/Hoskins go #1/2 and Bosa falls to Jets....I was all in on a trade down earlier but its not going to happen if the QBs go #1/2.....if SF still goes with Bosa then I would entertain a trade down with the Giants but only for both #1s plus a 3rd.  That would put them in play for a top pass rusher at #6 (figure it would go Murray, Bosa, Haskins in that scenario so you would have 2 of Q, Allen, Sweat and Gary to choose from - then use the #17 on a LT or WR....plus have 3 3rd rders...that would be great....just need another team to scare the Giants into a trade up.....and remind their GM that they have a ridiculously old QB on the decline.....

They resigned Jonathan Harrison who was decent after he replaced Long last season - obviously I'd prefer for that to have just been a depth signing but anyone they sign on the market is likely not going to make much of a difference at this point. Mac may need to get his scouts looking at the draft, but that's a tough position for a rookie to come into - especially with what will be at best a third round rookie.
Yeah I know, but it hardly inspires confidence. None of the retreads left do anything for me either. Agreed about the draft centers. I'm sure Mccags preferred a veteran center because you know it gives him acid reflux to draft young lineman earlier than the 4th.

yep - looks like this is the plan so far - not a fan....Mac just doesnt get how important the Oline is - I wish someone would send him film of the year Luck got crushed and almost lost his career....I'd even be ok with a graybeard like Sullivan bridging for a yr....Harrison should be a depth guy

MAc's tenure has been filled with a little luck at the top of the draft where top players fall....I can easily see a scenario where Murray/Hoskins go #1/2 and Bosa falls to Jets....I was all in on a trade down earlier but its not going to happen if the QBs go #1/2.....if SF still goes with Bosa then I would entertain a trade down with the Giants but only for both #1s plus a 3rd.  That would put them in play for a top pass rusher at #6 (figure it would go Murray, Bosa, Haskins in that scenario so you would have 2 of Q, Allen, Sweat and Gary to choose from - then use the #17 on a LT or WR....plus have 3 3rd rders...that would be great....just need another team to scare the Giants into a trade up.....and remind their GM that they have a ridiculously old QB on the decline.....
Except their GM is a buffoon. I don't think the criticism of not having a QB worries him either. Watch these fools pass on a QB again.

They still need to find a backup QB as well, if McCown is really considering retirement. I think Davis Webb is a free agent. My preference would be a veteran but not one that will cost any significant money like Tannehill.
I smell Tannenhill on the cheap - $3M

Manish Mehta‏Verified account @MMehtaNYDN 26m26 minutes ago

My quick math on Le’Veon Bell’s salary cap number for the Jets: 2019: $8.5M 2020: $13.5M 2021: $15.5M 2022: $17M There’s no way to sugarcoat it: The Jets dominated this deal.

Manish Mehta‏Verified account @MMehtaNYDN 3m3 minutes ago

Bottom line: Jets made a smart, savvy deal for Le’Veon Bell. Basically a 2-year, $26 million deal Again, Bell is getting a lot of $. But it is undeniable that he would have been better off taking the Steelers deal earlier... or even playing on the $14.5M franchise tag last year

Bell quoted as saying Jamal Adams recruited him non-stop once season ended....this is the kind of leadership the Jets havent had for a long time...I sense a turning of the tide!   

NYRAGE said:
We signed Poole from Atlanta to be our slot CB. 1 year $3.5m
I don't know much about him but from what I've read he's decent not great - but that's pretty cheap contract and doesn't preclude them from adding more secondary help.

I wonder if they'll consider bringing Mo Clairborne back if his market is cold - he was decent enough.

The Cat is back, kickers are swappable unless they miss an all time kick.. wonder what the contract looks like...

Mac does do a good job it seem managing the cap, so there's that...

I don't know much about him but from what I've read he's decent not great - but that's pretty cheap contract and doesn't preclude them from adding more secondary help.

I wonder if they'll consider bringing Mo Clairborne back if his market is cold - he was decent enough.
Similar to Skrine in coverage including the penalties. However,he hits like a train and is a very good blitzer. More INTs than Skrine, too.  Flawed, but an upgrade in that he does other things well and Williams will like his versatility.

He was good enough the last time he was here.
Not that big of a leg, though. That's not so great in Nov. and Dec. in the Northeast. I remember him kicking in AZ, and he had a bit of the yips those weeks I saw with him (He was my fantasy kicker for like four weeks or so). Myers had himself a great year on a bad team last year. I hope Catanzaro only costs about 1-1.5 M per year.

eta* Per Roto, I might be wrong about range...

Catanzaro spent his first three seasons in Arizona but has bounced around with the Jets, Bucs, and Panthers the last two seasons. He's going back to New York to replace Jason Myers. Catanzaro has nailed all five of his 50-plus-yard kicks the last two years but has struggled from close range and on extra points. 

eta2* 30 of 35 last year on extra points, 12-17 from 40+. Oof.  

Last edited by a moderator:
MAC is pretty sketchy when it comes to drafting and personnel, but he's pretty good at structuring contracts. All those deals have a relatively easy exit plan, usually with the guaranteed money in the first 2 years. 

Looking at those deals, I would guess that we still have a little more than $30m in cap space.

It doesn't look like we were in on any CBs outside of Poole. Maybe we're chasing Houston. It's been quiet on his front. Add him and a veteran center for insurance. The rest on cheap depth and let's go to the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread