What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

Great deal?  You are insane.  They are just going to pick the 3rd best guy not even who they want.  
Buffalo wanted to move up ahead of the Jets, so potentially leaving the 4th guy or maybe not even if everyone else went QB. I still think they paid one second rounder too much for it, but it won't matter in the end if the guy works out (I can even discount it with our history of second rounders and considering we got a second rounder in the Richardson trade).

I think this guarantees either Rosen or Mayfield.

Oof.  Damn that was a lot to give up.  Backbone of this trade is making sure they pick in front of Buffalo.  The Bills still have plenty of fire power to get to #1 or #2 if they wanted to though.

They gave up a little too much but there's franchise QBs available. They have to get one. Still cap space for this season and I think they'll have a high cap space going into next season as well. They'll buy their starters, can't worry about the lost picks, especially with their history of 2nd round picks. 

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
Oof.  Damn that was a lot to give up.  Backbone of this trade is making sure they pick in front of Buffalo.  The Bills still have plenty of fire power to get to #1 or #2 if they wanted to though.
If they get to 1 that changes nothing since the Browns would take a QB there anyway.

i don’t love this trade either but not for that reason.

Unless the Giants trade out with Buffalo, I think the Jets get the second QB in the draft.

I don’t get making the move now because they left themselves exposed to taking the third QB at this point - but I guess I should be happy that they will likely get one of the top 3 - as someone that loves Mayfield and Rosen I can live with that.

I mean these QBs could still get hurt during a pro day between now and April. Having the 3rd pick then would kind of suck. 

The Giants kind of have their stadium partners by the short hairs. They could choose to trade their #2 to the Bills.  

I’d be ok with Mayfield. For me I’d be pissed if it was Allen.

i do think it’s too early to have made this move though.
The theory making the rounds is that Buffalo wanted to move up to 3, but the Colts preferred dropping to 6 so that they still could get Chubb or Barkley.  It sounds like the Jets wanted to move higher, but the Browns and Giants didn't want to move down.  That's all speculation though. We'll see if Buffalo tempts the Giants more than the Jets did.

I don't like the price, but it does insure that they get a top 3 guy . In the past, teams paid crazy prices to move up for a QB that involved multiple first round picks. We didn't give up any future firsts.

Just my opinion , but I think that the Jets and Bills both like Josh Allen the best. Jets better hope Buffalo doesn’t jump them. 

Would the Giants pass on that package and not draft a qb?
I would have to think the Jets believe the Giants are not taking a QB which is why they’d make that deal now. Obviously they don’t really know for sure. The Giants could stand pat because they really want Barkley and know he wouldn’t be there at 6. 

I don’t love the trade but people said the same thing when the Rams, Eagles, etc. traded up to get a QB. Goff, Wentz, Mariotta, Winston all had their warts/risks as well and people killed those teams for what they paid to move up.

if you get a franchise type QB is worth it. If the guy busts then that sucks. 

It sucks so hard this team won 5 games last year and put themselves in a terrible position by being shortsighted but it is what it is.

Unless the Giants trade out with Buffalo, I think the Jets get the second QB in the draft.

I don’t get making the move now because they left themselves exposed to taking the third QB at this point - but I guess I should be happy that they will likely get one of the top 3 - as someone that loves Mayfield and Rosen I can live with that.
That's the cheapest move up to the top 3 ever. It was a great deal for them to move ahead of a pick that is likely getting shopped for a qb.

The Giants now have the most valuable pick at 1.2, but they can only trade it if they're willing to drop out of the top 10. They might not want to do that, or if they do they will make a team pay up. 

The browns at 1.4 have a valuable pick but can't trade it until the giants trade or pick, and the giants won't help them out by declaring their intention because they want to maximize their trade value leading up to draft day. Nobody will pay more than qb4 price for it, but it might be qb3, which is way more valuable. I'd expect that to be the big talk of the draft this year - will someone trade up to 4. 

Denver might end up staying with keenum, if the top qbs are gone ahead of them.  And they seem to believe they can coach a qb up. But they might be the best team to take Allen as a developmental guy. And if the giants and browns actually pick non qbs, then it could be a top 3 qb sitting there.  

Buffalo needs to decide if it's worth paying up to tease up to 2. Would probably cost them 12, 21 and a future first.  That's a huge price to pay.  Moving up to 4 doesn't help them much if the top 3 teams are gone.  Would be a disaster to trade a mobile qb then trade multiple firsts for another mobile qb so they need to make some decisions. 

Cardinals look like they're frozen out of the very top guys but might be able to get last choice of the top 5 guys. 

Still very possible that this class ends up with 5 guys in the top half of the first. 

They made the move now beacusr it was very cheap....

Just my opinion , but I think that the Jets and Bills both like Josh Allen the best. Jets better hope Buffalo doesn’t jump them. 
I think most Jets fans will be rooting for Buffalo to make the trade up to #2 if that's the case.

I'm not sure how these QBs will turn out, but this Jets trade definitely makes the next month more intriguing.

I think most Jets fans will be rooting for Buffalo to make the trade up to #2 if that's the case.

I'm not sure how these QBs will turn out, but this Jets trade definitely makes the next month more intriguing.
If the Bills are taking Allen, I agree, let them trade up to 2.

Maybe this is wishful thinking but I think the Giants really want Barkley. I think the Jets think so too.

They better start signing some o-linemen after giving up those seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Bills are taking Allen, I agree, let them trade up to 2.

Maybe this is wishful thinking but I think the Giants really want Barkley. I think the Jets think so too.

They better start signing some o-linemen after giving up those seconds.
:no:

Eric Galko‏Verified account @OptimumScouting 3h3 hours ago

This #Jets/#Colts trade tells us a few things:

1. They traded to trade to #3 because they couldn't trade to #2

2. They feel very confident in who is going 1-2, expectedly both QBs

3. #Colts value someone at #6 in particular. Likely Chubb, who likely wouldn't go 4 (CLE) or 5 (DEN)

3. #Colts value someone at #6 in particular. Likely Chubb, who likely wouldn't go 4 (CLE) or 5 (DEN)
Oh, Eric Galko said it?

who the hell is he? 

If so, that’s fine. I love Rosen and Mayfield.

im sticking with the Giants taking Barkley though. It’s just a gut and based on what I hear locally - but I don’t know. Neither does Eric Galko of course.

Oh, Eric Galko said it?

who the hell is he?
I think he is able to piece together an opinion that holds some value.

--------------------------------------

Eric GalkoVerified account

@OptimumScouting

Owner, Optimum Scouting.

NFL/CFB Writer, @SportingNews.

Also: @TheDreamBowl, @HBCUSpiritBowl.

"Scanning the Field" Podcast at the link. EricG@OptimumScouting.com

@OptimumScouting

Owner, Optimum Scouting.

He’s just guessing. 

@OptimumScouting

Owner, Optimum Scouting.

why wouldnt the browns draft Chubb?

I would have to think the Jets believe the Giants are not taking a QB which is why they’d make that deal now. Obviously they don’t really know for sure. The Giants could stand pat because they really want Barkley and know he wouldn’t be there at 6. 
Certainly the Jets offered the same thing to Cleveland and the Giants.  They're staying right where they are because they want a QB.

qb at 1 and 2 is almost a lock. The Jets had to feel they could miss out on the top 4 at pick #6. Or they like 3 out of the top 4, and this guarantees them one. 

Indy's pick at 3 was in play, a qb needy team could swap w/ Cle at 4, who knows what happens at 5... I like where they are a lot better now than I did yesterday. We're getting a qb.

Giants cannot not possibly be thinking QB at #2..they have so many other needs that they can't just waste it on a QB, a player who will sit for 2-3 more years behind Eli..

they're not going anywhere, they're not a playoff team, they will be drafting in the top 10 again next season.they're lacking for talent.

Christ Mortensen has gone on record saying there's no way Browns skip on taking  a QB at #1.

the Giants are taking Barkley, or they're trading down,acquiring more picks in the process..

maybe trade with Broncos at 5, now that they're in fear of NYJ taking their QB at #3..so maybe Giants get the #5,and Broncos 2nd, and 4th or something.you know what I'm saying get a lot for that #2 pick..slide back just 3 slots. 

losing Richberg and Pugh , they're moving Flowers to RT and he's a disaster where ever he plays..might've forced NYG's hand into making a move for Q. Nelson..they need to move down to get that to happen, Nelson isn't going in the top half of the first round..did Indy snooker NYJ in giving up the farm for the #3 pick,just so indy can give all of that bait, plus the #6,  to NYG to move up to #2? that would be loco, I know..

Giants cannot not possibly be thinking QB at #2..they have so many other needs that they can't just waste it on a QB, a player who will sit for 2-3 more years behind Eli..
Why not? We have no idea if Eli will be playing another 2-3 years.

You don't pick at #2 very often. And when you do, and you have a 37 y/o qb on the decline, you use that opportunity to take your next guy.  

1. The price for number two was probably higher than the price for number 3.  That's not surprising. Maybe the colts approached the jets, maybe the jets never approached the giants, maybe the giants wanted more.  Don't know, doesn't matter, except in the sense that the giants might be planning to stay put and take a quarterback. 

2. I am not convinced that they know which players will go ahead of them. I'm not convinced they know whether the giants are going to stay at 1.2, or if the giants know, either. 

I am convinced that they want to lock up a top 3 qb.  And they might have felt like it was more valuable because they could also up the price for buffalo to get a quarterback of their own. And they knew buffalo probably felt the same way and would try to block the jets from getting a qb. No matter who the jets take, though, I guarantee they will say that that was their first choice. 

3. The Colts might just like a couple guys a lot. Honestly, you can't go wrong with Chubb, Barkley or Nelson, and 3 qbs are going to be off the board.  Not only do they get a player they likely were considering at 1.3 plus 3 second round picks, they also get to pay the contract a 1.6 pick gets instead of a 1.3. That's worth taking your second or third choice in a group of seemingly can't miss prospects when they have a need at all 3 positions.

And if they miscalculated, and the quarterbacks don't all go in the top 3 or 4 picks?  Cool.  They can trade down again with buffalo or Arizona.  

Man, a lot of Jets fans calling in not happy with the trade. Three 2nd’s seems like a steep price,  but their track record in the second round hasn’t been great. I thought they did well moving up without trading a future 1st :shrug:

jwb said:

You don't pick at #2 very often. And when you do, and you have a 37 y/o qb on the decline, you use that opportunity to take your next guy.  
They may really like Davis Webb also. I think we have to think they will, but I'm not sure. 

Man, a lot of Jets fans calling in not happy with the trade. Three 2nd’s seems like a steep price,  but their track record in the second round hasn’t been great. I thought they did well moving up without trading a future 1st :shrug:
Well, you may not love their history of trading into the top 5 of the draft either:

This is the 4th time the Jets have traded up into the Top 5 picks of the NFL Draft.

The players chosen by the Jets the previous 3 times (QB Mark Sanchez, DT Dewayne Robertson, and WR Johnny "Lam" Jones") combined for 0 Pro Bowls.
https://t.co/EOTCFhWqfE

I dont agree that this is an overpay at all.....at #6 they easily could have been jumped by Buffalo and had zero QBs at #6......they had no choice but to overpay a bit as Buffalo was probably dangling 2 1st rd picks and then some.....they now have their choice of the top 2 or 3 QBs in a much agreed 4 blue chip QB draft....and they gave up 2d rd picks and not a 1st for the jump up!  The Jets have hit on a 2d rd pick about every 15 yrs...no joke.....I view it as a small price to pay to take a franchise QB they have to have,,,,Im a big fan of the deal and give Mac kudos for trading up....I think its a great deal.  

Who we have picked in the second round in the past or after we traded into the top five is not relevant today.  The only potential correlation is who McCags has drafted. His track record with draft QBs is not stellar. It's pretty good with pro-QBs. That said, the quality of QB in the top 3 is much higher than the crap he drafted later in the draft like Hack.

Who we have picked in the second round in the past or after we traded into the top five is not relevant today.  The only potential correlation is who McCags has drafted. His track record with draft QBs is not stellar. It's pretty good with pro-QBs. That said, the quality of QB in the top 3 is much higher than the crap he drafted later in the draft like Hack.
of course but as a Jet fan Im used to blowing 2d rd picks so im fine with dealing a few to possibly get a franchise QB vs a 1st.....and totally agree - no faith in Mac drafting a QB late but this seems to be a consensus 4 blue chip QB draft so Im much more confident....

jwb said:

I agree with this.  The Giants are such a good franchise and almost never pick at number 2, so to be in that spot and with these QBs that are there, you take one.  If they pass on one to stick with 37-year old Eli, they will regret it.  

I am not sure what other Jets fans think, but I am very curious about the faith put in to McCaggnan picking a QB.  Each GM has their sweet spot, like Gettlman knows lineman.  McCaggnan seems to know DBs, but honestly, he picked Hackenberg, an all-time bust considering he has never thrown a pass in the regular season...a record for a 2nd rounder.  And now he trades up to pick a QB?? Stay in your lane man!!  We are missing the simplest thing.  He has no track record for evaluating young QBs, yet here we are.  And we do not know whether he will get his first choice.  If he does not have one, that shows he is just guessing.  Too step a price to just guess, IMO.

of course but as a Jet fan Im used to blowing 2d rd picks so im fine with dealing a few to possibly get a franchise QB vs a 1st.....and totally agree - no faith in Mac drafting a QB late but this seems to be a consensus 4 blue chip QB draft so Im much more confident....
Ha, I wrote that before your post. As a long time Jets fan, I understand exactly where you're coming from.....but at some point we have to move on. We got a decent pick in the second round last year. That said, Hack and Devin Smith were complete garbage (Smith couldn't stay healthy), so ha, it's hard to let go of our history.

Users who are viewing this thread