What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

Im not going to flame you - its not a crazy take at all......jets reset a decade of solid teams with the 4 1st rd draft pick yr.  A bounty of picks is enticing.....key for me anyway is to have sam show big improvement down the stretch when he has some of his weapons back.....then agree to a reasonable extension in the offseason.  If those both happen then I wouldnt completely lose my mind if they passed on Lawrence.  
Thx for not flaming and yes tho most in here and in Jet Nation would take Lawrence, it's not a crazy idea to say screw that we have so many holes to plug, let's just get a haul above all hauls. 

Just to make it even more difficult to evaluate our "franchise" QB - lets hold him out multiple weeks.
Your not insinuating that being a bit cautious with Sam isn't the prudent move are you?

I mean it's not like we are fighting for a playoff spot and a 6th game of the season is a crucial one.

Sure I'd love to see Sam play instead of the corpse of Joe Flacco but if Sam needs another week to heal up so be it...I'm fine with it! 

That said and speaking of corpses instead of Gore who don't get me wrong I respect enormously and is a lock HOF, I would like to see Perine play some and get the damn ball 10+ times to see what he could do.

I can get behind this. I'm in the "Sam hasn't had a fair chance at all" camp. 
That's what I'm talking about. Join me on "Let's not give up on Sam Island"...there are still plenty of girls to choose from...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Laughing
Reactions: jwb
No, it's more frustration over the situation. It just makes the decision on whether to pick up his 5th year option even more difficult.
I get it and hear you and yet only thing that we can do is hope for and cross our fingers about is that when Sam comes back Game 7, he'll also be joined by Mims and Perriman so he could have 3 NFL caliber receivers to throw the rock to.

And imagine this and hope your sitting for this, maybe just maybe Becton comes back and the O-line starts to play a bit better and Sam actually has more than 2 seconds to throw the ball. We might even have 9-10 games to truly evaluate him and the decision to keep him and build around him is made. 

OK my alarm clock went off....was I just dreaming? lol🤪

I was just listening to Tony Pauline's podcast and he believes that the reason that the Jets haven't canned Gase yet is because Chris Johnson wants to save face. Hmm, that's what I was speculating above somewhere.  Typical for the Johnsons.

Pauline says that he's talked to players and that Gase has lost the locker room and still expects Gase to be fired during the season. When he asked a player about Gase still being there, the player said that it's because management likes him. Sounds like a good reason. Grr

Both NY teams primary problem is incompetent ownership.  In this case, I really don't get Johnson's logic in trying to save face because he's doing the opposite everyday he keeps Gase.  I was hoping for Jets fans' sake that the controversy around Woody Johnson's racist comments from a couple/few months ago would force the Johnson's to sell the team like what happened with the Clippers owner, but that's obviously not going to happen.  Jets fans are stuck with this.  I honestly wouldn't spend any money on either NY team until they make major changes starting with either selling the team (no real chance of that) or ownership completely changing their approach and just getting out of the way.  Either way, I don't want to give those trust fund morons my money.

I was just listening to Tony Pauline's podcast and he believes that the reason that the Jets haven't canned Gase yet is because Chris Johnson wants to save face. Hmm, that's what I was speculating above somewhere.  Typical for the Johnsons.

Pauline says that he's talked to players and that Gase has lost the locker room and still expects Gase to be fired during the season. When he asked a player about Gase still being there, the player said that it's because management likes him. Sounds like a good reason. Grr
Honestly I'm at the point where I hope they don't fire him until the end of the season so that he can't get off the sinking ship he played a huge part in creating. The only downside of not firing him now is the slim chance they bring him back in 2021.

Honestly I'm at the point where I hope they don't fire him until the end of the season so that he can't get off the sinking ship he played a huge part in creating. The only downside of not firing him now is the slim chance they bring him back in 2021.

Could you imagine that...the Jets bringing Gase back after what looks like an epically horrific year? I mean I guess it's possible as the ineptitude of this franchise knows no bounds.

Just the fact that you bring this up and and this is even a possibility has given me agida and it's only 10:00 in the morning...argggg!

Logic would dictate that it's only a slim chance, BUT this is the Jets team that we're talking about. They have a history of keeping coaches/gms longer than they should and of making bad personnel decisions. We should all be scared.

Just look at how good Carolina looks under Rhule. So much for not letting him hire his own coaching staff.

Could you imagine that...the Jets bringing Gase back after what looks like an epically horrific year? I mean I guess it's possible as the ineptitude of this franchise knows no bounds.

Just the fact that you bring this up and and this is even a possibility has given me agida and it's only 10:00 in the morning...argggg!
With the Johnsons, it's not unlikely as it seems.

Both NY teams primary problem is incompetent ownership.  In this case, I really don't get Johnson's logic in trying to save face because he's doing the opposite everyday he keeps Gase.  I was hoping for Jets fans' sake that the controversy around Woody Johnson's racist comments from a couple/few months ago would force the Johnson's to sell the team like what happened with the Clippers owner, but that's obviously not going to happen.  Jets fans are stuck with this.  I honestly wouldn't spend any money on either NY team until they make major changes starting with either selling the team (no real chance of that) or ownership completely changing their approach and just getting out of the way.  Either way, I don't want to give those trust fund morons my money.
Think about this for a moment. As an almost 50 year fan of the Mets, Jets, Knicks and Rangers look at what myself and my other compadres who also root for these teams have had to deal with over the years. I'm just going to look at the last 20 years of each franchise for ####s and giggles:

The Jets have had Leon Hess and since than the Johnsons. It actually wasn't terrible under Hess but certainly not good. Under the Johnson's however, it's been a dumpster fire for the most part tho there was a semblance of success from 2000 thru 2010 in spite of themselves.

The Mets have had pretty much since the 1980's, the Wilpons. Once again, there have been a few good years since 2000 but overall under the Wilpons, its also been a dumpster fire with consistant ineptitude symbolizing the franchise. Finally tho there is hope for us in Metland as the Wilpons are gone and now Steve Cohen is in which should be mean he'll spend money to bring in solid players and hire competent people to run the baseball operations. We'll see but I'm hopeful for first time in a longtime.

The Knicks have been a dumpster fire as well for the past 20 years with I believe just one or two playoff playoff appearances in the past two decades. James Dolan might be the worst owner in all of sports despite his desire to hire the best people to run the team. He has failed miserably in that regard and the Knicks remain a joke and embarrassment.

The Rangers are an anomaly. You still have the worst owner in all of sports Dolan owning them yet somehow, someway, he has hired the right people to run the franchise and he stays out of the way unlike what he does with the Knicks and over the past 20 years, the Rangers have been one of the most successful teams in the NHL. Now they are on the cusp after a very quick rebuild of being one of the top teams in the league and should compete for Stanley Cups for the rest of the decade beginning next year.

Anyways, it's bizarro world that somehow Dolan hasn't f'd up the Rangers but I'll take it as at least I have one team that is competently run and that has hope for a parade I can attend again before I kick the bucket.

Bottom line: Ownership matters and as one can readily see, fans like moi of the teams I mentioned have been totally f'd for decades due to the incompetency of these owners. For us Jet fans, I don't see things changing unless and this is a big if but, if Douglass can get enough autonomy to implement all the changes he wants to do including hiring a new coach, I do think there is a modicum of some hope as I'm a firm believer that Douglass absolutely knows WTF he's doing. He just needs to be able to do it. 

Think about this for a moment. As an almost 50 year fan of the Mets, Jets, Knicks and Rangers look at what myself and my other compadres who also root for these teams have had to deal with over the years. I'm just going to look at the last 20 years of each franchise for ####s and giggles:

The Jets have had Leon Hess and since than the Johnsons. It actually wasn't terrible under Hess but certainly not good. Under the Johnson's however, it's been a dumpster fire for the most part tho there was a semblance of success from 2000 thru 2010 in spite of themselves. Since 2011 tho, the Jets have turned into a clown show...total embarrassment and one of the worst teams in the league by far.

The Mets have had pretty much since the 1980's, the Wilpons. Once again, there have been a few good years since 2000 but overall under the Wilpons, its also been a dumpster fire with consistant ineptitude symbolizing the franchise. Finally tho there is hope for us in Metland as the Wilpons are gone and now Steve Cohen is in which should be mean he'll spend money to bring in solid players and hire competent people to run the baseball operations. We'll see but I'm hopeful for first time in a longtime.

The Knicks have been a dumpster fire as well for the past 20 years with I believe just one or two playoff playoff appearances in the past two decades. James Dolan might be the worst owner in all of sports despite his desire to hire the best people to run the team. He has failed miserably in that regard and the Knicks remain a joke and embarrassment.

The Rangers are an anomaly. You still have the worst owner in all of sports Dolan owning them yet somehow, someway, he has hired the right people to run the franchise and he stays out of the way unlike what he does with the Knicks and over the past 20 years, the Rangers have been one of the most successful teams in the NHL. Now they are on the cusp after a very quick rebuild of being one of the top teams in the league and should compete for Stanley Cups for the rest of the decade beginning next year.

Anyways, it's bizarro world that somehow Dolan hasn't f'd up the Rangers but I'll take it as at least I have one team that is competently run and that has hope for a parade I can attend again before I kick the bucket.

Bottom line: Ownership matters and as one can readily see, fans like moi of the teams I mentioned have been totally f'd for decades due to the incompetency of these owners. For us Jet fans, I don't see things changing unless and this is a big if but, if Douglass can get enough autonomy to implement all the changes he wants to do including hiring a new coach, I do think there is a modicum of some hope as I'm a firm believer that Douglass absolutely knows WTF he's doing. He just needs to be able to do it. 

The rangers have been one of the best teams in hockey? Okay. They haven't been a contender in the last 20 years. I mean if you're comparing them to the knicks they've been good but that's a low bar.

The rangers have been one of the best teams in hockey? Okay. They haven't been a contender in the last 20 years 
What are you talking about? Do you follow hockey?

From 2005 after the lockout, the Rangers made the playoffs 11 of 12 years...3 times reaching the Eastern Conference Finals and once making the Stanley Cup finals. I do'nt have time to do it now but the Ranger won/loss record the last 10 years is likely in the top 10 if not higher of all the teams in the NHL the past 15-20 years.

After we lost to the Senators in the Eastern Conference semi final in 2017 in the middle of 2018, a "letter" was sent out by Ranger GM Jeff Gorton that the team was going to rebuild from scratch pretty much. Well that rebuild has gone phenomenally well to the point the Rangers are about a year/year and a half ahead of schedule and we should be ready to compete for a Cup beginning 2022 and going forward for the rest of the decade. 

So yeah, the Rangers have been one of the most successful teams in the league, have been contenders despite not having won a Cup the past 20 years. And it's going to be even better for the next 10 and this is despite having James Dolan as our owner which is the point anyways.

I wouldnt put it past these owners to bring this guy back - with no fans in the stadium this yr they have been given a free pass to the crap show that would have been every home game....Chris Johnson's last comments about Gase being a "brilliant offensive mind" has completely nuked any little remaining faith I have that he will do the right thing.....I mean Cleveland brought back Hugh Jackson after a 1 win season......we can't chance that Gase falls into a few wins down the stretch and gives Johnson any shred of anything to bring this clown back.....in fact if he's not fired within 48 hrs after the end of the season I have a my group of season ticket holders for 50 yrs seriously considering canceling.  

Pretty much everyone agrees that the Johnsons are the primary source of this franchise's problems, but after the way Bell was handled I think it's fair to start questioning Douglas.  Either he has no real power and influence so he couldn't fire Gase and/or can't convince Johnson to let him despite the HUGE amount of evidence saying Gase needs to go, or he's as delusional as the Johnsons and doesn't think it's a necessary move to help the team.  Reports that Gase has lost the locker room don't even need to be verified IMO considering it's really obvious. 

Bell, on the other hand, even though he's temperamental wasn't the problem.  Plus, they're paying Bell either way so it's not like they saved money by cutting him.  Keeping Gase and getting rid of Bell will only make the players hate Gase even more, not that it's needed since based on the way they play they already don't respect him.  Gase has done way, way more than enough to prove he doesn't deserve this job.  WTF is Douglas waiting for?  If he wanted to fire Gase, which would be the only reasonable move at this point, then he obviously he no real influence over the Johnsons.  If he actually thought that Bell was the problem and Gase deserves more time to turn things around, then Douglas is part of the problem too.  Either way, Douglas doesn't walk away from this looking good at all IMO.

I'm pretty confident Gase's last game will be week 9 against New England.  They're gonna lose 2 more division games, get humiliated by Kansas City week 8 (watch Bell go for like 150 total yards and 2 TD's) and then New England will destroy them on Monday night. And with the bye after that, that will be it.

I think....I guess.....I hope?

I'm pretty confident Gase's last game will be week 9 against New England.  They're gonna lose 2 more division games, get humiliated by Kansas City week 8 (watch Bell go for like 150 total yards and 2 TD's) and then New England will destroy them on Monday night. And with the bye after that, that will be it.

I hate to disagree with you but I've said it a bunch of times before and I'll say it again...Gase is here for the rest of the season no matter the record. I'd say there's a 95% chance I'll be right and it's not because Douglass can't fire him...he won't is the reason!. 

Once again and it needs to be repeated, Gase is the reason why Douglass has the 6 year gig and all the money he could have ever dreamed of. It was Gase's recommendation to the Johnson's as to the reason Douglass got the job due to their friendship from their time in Chicago together. That cannot be over emphasized enough.

Douglass is going to be loyal to him at least till the end of the season.  He won't want to embarrass Gase and fire him in season as that's as humiliating as it gets for a coach and Douglass is just not going to humiliate Gase and fire him during the season....just aint happening despite how much you, me and the rest of Jet Nation wants him gone.

After the season is a different story and tho incredibly there might be a chance Gase is back, it would be very doubtful as Douglass can at least fire Gase gently and will feel he did his part of the bargain and showed Gase loyalty by not canning him during the season.  

We'll see how this plays out and trust me I hope I'm wrong I really really do, but I'm 95% confident unfortunately I won't be as Gase is very likely here to stay IMO till the offseason.

"Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane". - Ellis Boyd Redding

Pretty much everyone agrees that the Johnsons are the primary source of this franchise's problems, but after the way Bell was handled I think it's fair to start questioning Douglas.  Either he has no real power and influence so he couldn't fire Gase and/or can't convince Johnson to let him despite the HUGE amount of evidence saying Gase needs to go, or he's as delusional as the Johnsons and doesn't think it's a necessary move to help the team.  Reports that Gase has lost the locker room don't even need to be verified IMO considering it's really obvious. 

Bell, on the other hand, even though he's temperamental wasn't the problem.  Plus, they're paying Bell either way so it's not like they saved money by cutting him.  Keeping Gase and getting rid of Bell will only make the players hate Gase even more, not that it's needed since based on the way they play they already don't respect him.  Gase has done way, way more than enough to prove he doesn't deserve this job.  WTF is Douglas waiting for?  If he wanted to fire Gase, which would be the only reasonable move at this point, then he obviously he no real influence over the Johnsons.  If he actually thought that Bell was the problem and Gase deserves more time to turn things around, then Douglas is part of the problem too.  Either way, Douglas doesn't walk away from this looking good at all IMO.
From the way Douglass handled the Jamal situation, it's not surprising in the least that he sent Bell packing. Douglass seems to be a guy who doesn't want malcontents in the locker room even in an 0-5 locker room. Douglass from what it sounds like, thought Bell was going to be problem going forward and didn't want a guy like him publicly disrespecting the team. 

Frankly I don't like players on my team mouthing off either as they can become a cancer and that #### can spread quickly. Jets have enough issues, they don't need overrated malcontent RB's mouthing off even tho he might be justified in some respects.

To be honest, I'm not too upset about this as Bell seemed like he wanted out as well. I don't blame Douglass one bit for wanting Bell gone after the crap he pulled again.

Now when Bell torches us for 300 yards and 4 TD's in Arrowhead vs us in a few weeks, it's going to sting..no lie....lol. But for now, I'm just focused and interested in seeing what Perine can do. 

Douglas does not have the authority to fire Gase. We all know that.

So Doughboy Loggains got some press time yesterday. When asked about the play-calling, he said basically: the problem isn't the play-calling. The problem is the execution.

Hmm, parroting Gase from earlier in the season. These guys lack any self-awareness. I think most successful coaches will take the hit, but not these guys. I can't wait to see them go even if it doesn't happen until after the season.

What crap did Bell pull? Liking posts on social media? This just shows once again what a weirdo Gase is.

Douglas did Bell a favor by releasing him.
Adams was a million times worse. I remember when people defended Adams with hey, it was just business.

This felt more like Gase couldn't have anyone in his locker room that wasn't willing to go along with his idiocy.

Adams was a million times worse. I remember when people defended Adams with hey, it was just business.

This felt more like Gase couldn't have anyone in his locker room that wasn't willing to go along with his idiocy.
His press conference when asked why he did not use Bell properly is just a microcosm of his time here. I can't imagine how this guy could have been impressive in an interview. 

His press conference when asked why he did not use Bell properly is just a microcosm of his time here. I can't imagine how this guy could have been impressive in an interview. 
The answer is Johnson. The same way that Idzik, Bowles, and Maccagnan were somehow impressive.

The answer is Johnson. The same way that Idzik, Bowles, and Maccagnan were somehow impressive.
Well to be fair, Mac talked a good game and I was a believer at first, but good point. I can't believe they didn't fall asleep during the Bowles interview.

NFL trade deadline offers: 13 proposals for players who could get dealt in 2020, including Sam Darnold, Dwayne Haskins, Zach Ertz

Jets trade Sam Darnold to Colts

Indianapolis Colts get: QB Sam Darnold
New York Jets get: 2021 second-round pick, 2022 third-round pick (conditional)
Go to the LINK for the full read.

Pretty good article, reasonable suggested trades.  I saw Rivers Sunday, the Colts need a QB so it makes sense from their side.  Haven't really followed Sam.  How do the Jet fans feel about the 'proposed' trade?

NFL trade deadline offers: 13 proposals for players who could get dealt in 2020, including Sam Darnold, Dwayne Haskins, Zach Ertz

Go to the LINK for the full read.

Pretty good article, reasonable suggested trades.  I saw Rivers Sunday, the Colts need a QB so it makes sense from their side.  Haven't really followed Sam.  How do the Jet fans feel about the 'proposed' trade?
That wouldn't happen unless the Jets secured the top pick. I'll let you know in January.

Sam Darnold trade rumors are in full swing now...

-Colts latest team. You can't get this close to Trevor Lawrence and not go all the way. 

-I am not cheering for the Jets to lose, in fact a Trevor Jets AFC East scenario is about the worst thing for Phins fans in all honesty. We play the Jets twice and to be perfectly frank, I almost hope the Phins split or lose 'em so the Jets drift from maybe 1st to say 4th in the 2020 Draft but that is quickly fading as each week goes by and they continue to part with decent players. 

-And the Jets would be wise to keep Gase coaching on the sidelines, the last thing you want is the team rallying behind the interim head coach, Gase is doing a fine job showing why he should never be a head coach again and why the Jets were dumb to hire him in the 1st place. 

I know this is crazy but in lieu of the horrific injury to Dak and the leadership to take you to the promised land for Trevor Lawrence, why not trade Darnold to Dallas, not sure exactly what you could get but my thinking is that Dallas is good enough to where they won't be able to Draft a young QB and then develop them, that offense is built to win now and Dak is going to be gone a long time. Maybe Darnold couldn't help them as much this year but they have a cheap QB to teach him the playbook, he has a lot of game experience and then you can stock pile losses with Joe Flacco and get Trevor plus stock pile draft picks...follow my logic here?

McCarthy is going to want to keep himself working and there's no way he can sit back with Dak gone for 18+ months and Dalton as his main QB and just shrug his shoulders. He needs a reality check of where he is at, they need another arm to keep developing. That's just my overreaction today and would be interested in your thoughts, cheers Jets Fans. 

Done.

I don’t think they’ll trade Sam in-season nor would Dallas want to trade for him in-season - but I like the thoughts and it surely makes sense.
I didn't open the conversation up wide enough and just focused on Dallas but I have felt like Darnold would be turned over as a Jet to another team and maybe actually get his career turned around since before the season even started. It sounds like the Jets are going to be involved in a lot of trade rumors for a while. If they keep Darnold, his value on Draft Day after Trevor is gone will be somewhat high. This isn't Josh Rosen by any stretch and I still think he can be a successful NFL QB with the right team. Look what happened to Tannehill once he landed on a competently run NFL Team which Miami was surely not when he left. 

yeah, under no circumstances can get the Jets trade Darnold until they secure the #1 pick.

I dont like the idea of trading Crowder (unless you get something silly like a 2nd round pick back from a team that is going all out for a title) or Williams. (still too early)

They can lose enough even with those guys. Gase and the rest of the roster are THAT bad.

I didn't open the conversation up wide enough and just focused on Dallas but I have felt like Darnold would be turned over as a Jet to another team and maybe actually get his career turned around since before the season even started. It sounds like the Jets are going to be involved in a lot of trade rumors for a while. If they keep Darnold, his value on Draft Day after Trevor is gone will be somewhat high. This isn't Josh Rosen by any stretch and I still think he can be a successful NFL QB with the right team. Look what happened to Tannehill once he landed on a competently run NFL Team which Miami was surely not when he left. 
I don't think they move him until the offseason, if at all. They need to know they have a top pick locked up before they can consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread