What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

I am not sure what other Jets fans think, but I am very curious about the faith put in to McCaggnan picking a QB.  Each GM has their sweet spot, like Gettlman knows lineman.  McCaggnan seems to know DBs, but honestly, he picked Hackenberg, an all-time bust considering he has never thrown a pass in the regular season...a record for a 2nd rounder.  And now he trades up to pick a QB?? Stay in your lane man!!  We are missing the simplest thing.  He has no track record for evaluating young QBs, yet here we are.  And we do not know whether he will get his first choice.  If he does not have one, that shows he is just guessing.  Too step a price to just guess, IMO.
I wouldn't trust McCags to tie my shoelaces correctly, but moving into the top 3 was a must move.

With 5 spots ahead of them for 4 QBs, there were potentially (and likely) 4 teams that would have taken a QB before them. Cleveland for sure. The Giants very possibly. Indy was looking to trade out with Buffalo looking to move up as well as potentially Arizona and Miami. Denver was another logical spot. That's a potential disaster situation that the Jets could not afford to risk.

Well, you may not love their history of trading into the top 5 of the draft either:

https://t.co/EOTCFhWqfE
Be that as it may, this is the way to win in today’s NFL. Get your franchise QB, and go from there. You’re in purgatory without it. 

And I know he wasn’t a great QB, butt-fumble and all, but the Jets did go to two conference title games with Sanchez. 

Disclaimer: I hate the Jets, but I think this was a good move. It was a good move by both teams IMO. 

Dr. Octopus said:
 It sucks so hard this team won 5 games last year and put themselves in a terrible position by being shortsighted but it is what it is.
This again? 

I knew we'd be here. You will mention it to the end of time.

What team is losing games on purpose before late December? You find any evidence, please let me know.

Do you think the Colts tanked? If so, Chuck Pagano and his staff must be getting some nice deal ($1,000 per week severance checks for life, maybe) to be all concerned about the Colts long-term future and throw away their jobs.

For those of us who watched all the Jets games in 2017, it can be argued they were a few plays away from 2-14 and a few plays away from 8-8. There were six games that could have gone either way. The Jets went 3-3 in them. The three wins were vs the Browns, Jaguars, and Chiefs. Could the Jets have done some things to assure losses in those games? Yeah, but, tell the coaches and the players to do that. See what response you get. You are living in a magical mystery world if you think NFL teams actually do this stuff.        

This again? 

I knew we'd be here. You will mention it to the end of time.

What team is losing games on purpose before late December? You find any evidence, please let me know.

Do you think the Colts tanked? If so, Chuck Pagano and his staff must be getting some nice deal ($1,000 per week severance checks for life, maybe) to be all concerned about the Colts long-term future and throw away their jobs.

For those of us who watched all the Jets games in 2017, it can be argued they were a few plays away from 2-14 and a few plays away from 8-8. There were six games that could have gone either way. The Jets went 3-3 in them. The three wins were vs the Browns, Jaguars, and Chiefs. Could the Jets have done some things to assure losses in those games? Yeah, but, tell the coaches and the players to do that. See what response you get. You are living in a magical mystery world if you think NFL teams actually do this stuff.        
This again?

No one said they should lose games on purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
This again?

No said they should lose games on purpose.
You absolutely did and you cannot drop the subject. You need to move on with your life. Jeremy Kerley did not cost this team a win. He did not cost Chad Hansen or ArDarius Stewart playing time. Those players cost themselves playing time by not outplaying Kerley. It is that simple. Other rookies have started during the Todd Bowles era. 

You absolutely did and you cannot drop the subject. You need to move on with your life. Jeremy Kerley did not cost this team a win. He did not cost Chad Hansen or ArDarius Stewart playing time. Those players cost themselves playing time by not outplaying Kerley. It is that simple. Other rookies have started during the Todd Bowles era. 
I’ve explained my position to you at least 6-7 times. I can’t do it again as you obviously will not understand it, if you still think I wanted them to try and lose games on purpose.

yes, I can move on which is why I said it is what it is.

its 2018 now.

Sometimes I don't trust the "not outplaying" someone. Sometimes, the coaches decisions are influenced by vet vs. rookie, contract, draft pick, etc. Maybe sometimes the light doesn't switch on until true game conditions. The Rex Ryan Jets had Danny Woodhead. What happened? The kept that tease WR Clowny over him, iirc. Woodhead didn't outplay Shonn Greene or Joe McKnight? I find that almost impossible to believe. I realize it's years ago and another staff, but it speaks to reasons why some guys might play over others that is not 100% performance based.

I do think at some point last year, they could have played Petty/Hack, just to "see" what they had in live game action. They could have played Stewart a little more. I agree you play to win, right up to about Thanksgiving. Then, if/when it's clear you aren't making the playoffs, you probably should evaluate, at least a little, under true game conditions. Not play to lose of course - that would be silly. But it's like a baseball manager leaving a struggling pitcher out there in a lost game - let's see him work out of it. Yea, 162 games vs 16 and all, but not making the playoffs is still not making the playoffs, no matter how many games to a season. I think your mindset needs to shift a little once you're essentially out.  

Sometimes I don't trust the "not outplaying" someone. Sometimes, the coaches decisions are influenced by vet vs. rookie, contract, draft pick, etc. Maybe sometimes the light doesn't switch on until true game conditions. The Rex Ryan Jets had Danny Woodhead. What happened? The kept that tease WR Clowny over him, iirc. Woodhead didn't outplay Shonn Greene or Joe McKnight? I find that almost impossible to believe. I realize it's years ago and another staff, but it speaks to reasons why some guys might play over others that is not 100% performance based.

I do think at some point last year, they could have played Petty/Hack, just to "see" what they had in live game action. They could have played Stewart a little more. I agree you play to win, right up to about Thanksgiving. Then, if/when it's clear you aren't making the playoffs, you probably should evaluate, at least a little, under true game conditions. Not play to lose of course - that would be silly. But it's like a baseball manager leaving a struggling pitcher out there in a lost game - let's see him work out of it. Yea, 162 games vs 16 and all, but not making the playoffs is still not making the playoffs, no matter how many games to a season. I think your mindset needs to shift a little once you're essentially out.  
Exactly. Woodhead outplayed McKnight (RIP) by far that preseason but they kept McKnight over him to save face because Tannenbaum spent a 4th round pick on McKnight while Woodhead was an UDFA.

I just hope Mac and the scouts make the right choice - but of course they may not be able to get their top guy especially if the Browns and Giants both take QBs

They gave up a lot to move up. I can’t imagine sitting there thinking we are happy to get any one of the top QBs.

They gave up a lot to move up. I can’t imagine sitting there thinking we are happy to get an one of the top QBs.
I highly doubt they made the move only liking 2 QBs out of the 4.....they know the Giants may take a QB so Im confident they are high on the top 3....which ones that is Im not sure...we will see!  

I highly doubt they made the move only liking 2 QBs out of the 4.....they know the Giants may take a QB so Im confident they are high on the top 3....which ones that is Im not sure...we will see!  
My bad...I thought they moved to the four spot. They have the three spot....that makes a little more sense anyway. 

I see a lot of arguing in the future of Jets fans because there is no clear order on the QB rankings.

The Jets have been reportedly enamored with Allen for a while now. Would they take Rosen if he's on the board? I think Mayfield is the least likely to be chosen.

Can you imagine the dissension when we make our pick and it's Allen when the choice is between Mayfield or Allen, and maybe even Rosen?  People will go crazy about his completion percentage plus the Mayfield fans are pretty passionate. 

Allen or any other rookie QB chosen by the Jets most likely won't even play in 2018, just fueling more heated discussion in-season and off-season.

They all come with warts. I liked Rosen from what I saw this year, but he does have injury concerns.  Allen certainly looks the part, but his accuracy is a major concern. Darnold is likely taken first, but his decision-making was sketchy this season. I'm not sure that Mayfield's game will translate in the NFL.  At the end of the day, I will just happy to get any of the four because our QB talent base is pretty bad. We will all be banking on potential and probably having to wait a while.

The last time the Jets made a move like this, they selected Mark Sanchez.  I see similar risk with this trade.  IMO Barkley and Chubb are the best players in the draft if you take out positional value.  Plus, with Bridgewater they already have a young QB with upside and risk (like any rookie), so I wouldn't have traded up if I were them.  However, you don't give up what they gave up unless you are going after a QB so it does seem clear they will get a QB, but I'm not as enamored with this trade as many others seem to be.  If they had moved to #1 and gotten their top QB I would have like it more, but taking whoever is left out of the top 3 QBs seems more like a move to get the next Sanchez rather than a move to get the next Peyton Manning (or even the next Eli Manning).  I'm sure a lot of you will disagree with me.  That's fine with me.  I'm not interested in an argument, just want to say my opinion on this.

Yeah, but don't mention tanking around certain posters or fear their wrath
Yup.....

We can feel good and Hope they finally nail the QB position... And even like this Trade.

But, the way we got here IMO was 3 years of pure Waste and a lot of wasted resources to "Build Thru the Draft" like the GM said.

I'll always say it - You're the new GM of a bottom feeder team without a QB for decades - You're #1 #2 #3 priority is getting that QB - No reason to play journeymen QB's for a few more wins for THREE YEARS!!!!!!!!!&%$@~!(@)#..... Play the QB's you drafted, play young QB's!!!!

That Said, Still no reason to play McCown this year.

It angers me that they anointed him already. Once they draft a QB, McCown should be third on the depth chart so that he does not take valuable reps away from the rookie and so that the team can see if Bridgewater can play.

Hopefully Teddy just blows him away in preseason so there isn't any choice but to play him. If that happens, it's ok to make McCown active over the rookie on game days to start the season, but the rookie better be getting all the backup reps during the week.

Yup.....

We can feel good and Hope they finally nail the QB position... And even like this Trade.

But, the way we got here IMO was 3 years of pure Waste and a lot of wasted resources to "Build Thru the Draft" like the GM said.

I'll always say it - You're the new GM of a bottom feeder team without a QB for decades - You're #1 #2 #3 priority is getting that QB - No reason to play journeymen QB's for a few more wins for THREE YEARS!!!!!!!!!&%$@~!(@)#..... Play the QB's you drafted, play young QB's!!!!

The problem is having conflicting goals and doing things through half measures.

So Johnson bought in to a rebuild and set really low expectations for the season. A successful season was not to be measured by wins solely, but by player development and improvement. Were McCags and Bowles guaranteed an extension before the season started? I think McCags had a pass with the rebuild. Bowles I'm not sure. If the season went off the rails and team in-fighting took place, he was gone for sure.

Bowles definitely coached to win to survive.  Were him and McCags on the same page? I'm not so sure about that.  Bowles not reporting to McCags was/is an issue. Petty got a chance to play once McCown went down and he was terrible. To this day, I don't know how Hack never got a chance to start one game. Even if he was terrible, so was Petty. It was curious handling to say the least.  Was the coach and GM on the same page?

Fast forward to today: at least by trading up McCags guaranteed himself a top 3 QB in the draft.  Was it a half measure again? Could he have traded higher to 1 or 2? None of us can be sure, so we can't judge it. IF Buffalo trades up to #2, then McCags will be criticized for not trading up higher. We'll see.

Getting a top QB is the first step.  Can we develop him? Do we have the right environment for a rookie QB to succeed? Again, I'm not sure about that. We have almost no talent on offense, a suspect o-line,  a new offensive coordinator, a head coach that I'm not sure knows much about offense (or much else imo).  We need to start adding pieces to the offense.

It angers me that they anointed him already. Once they draft a QB, McCown should be third on the depth chart so that he does not take valuable reps away from the rookie and so that the team can see if Bridgewater can play.

Hopefully Teddy just blows him away in preseason so there isn't any choice but to play him. If that happens, it's ok to make McCown active over the rookie on game days to start the season, but the rookie better be getting all the backup reps during the week.
Agree. So what's the plan with Teddy on a one-year deal? . If he shows that he can play and at a high level, do we trade him at the deadline? If he does really well this season and knowing that we have a rookie ready for 2019, do we franchise and trade him? If he's playing at a top level, do we re-sign him or let him go for a rookie QB that hasn't proven anything yet? We're pretty much committed to a top 3 drafted QB.

From what I heard McCown was named starter entering Training Camp, so it's definitely not a given.  Hopefully This becomes a real competition, but Bowles history confidence is low.

If Teddy plays lights out, this is all good, Franchise and trade him, or just keep him and let the Rookie site for another year.

The fact that they don't have to throw a Rookie into the fire (on paper anyway) is a beautiful thing.

A real season to have some hope and root for Teddy and hopefully the young dude sits and learns ...

Agree. So what's the plan with Teddy on a one-year deal? . If he shows that he can play and at a high level, do we trade him at the deadline? If he does really well this season and knowing that we have a rookie ready for 2019, do we franchise and trade him? If he's playing at a top level, do we re-sign him or let him go for a rookie QB that hasn't proven anything yet? We're pretty much committed to a top 3 drafted QB.
That's why the one year deal was a little strange (both for him and the team). Honestly now that I know we are getting/taking a QB in the draft for sure, it makes it even more curious and as much as I like him, maybe they shouldn't even have signed him if they HAD to sign McCown as well.

Trade deadline deals are always tough to pull off - but not impossible (see. Garroppolo) - so that could be an option, I guess. I'd chalk it up as unlikely though.

I suppose if he did play at a high level and the Jets were a playoff team with him keeping him around for another year would be an option - but like you said how long do you sit a top 3 pick?

I suppose if we end up in a situation where we are trying to decide what to do with a Bridgewater coming off a stellar season - we shouldn't complain too much and just figure it out then.  

Can we sign some offensive linemen please - seeing as we now will not have a draft pick until Round 3 to take one?
I don't see them drafting a lineman in the third either. I can see them trading down to pick up another 4th rounder or I can see them picking a RB in the third. They were hard after McKinnon, so I can see them grabbing a pass-catching RB in the third or 4th round.

it's gonna be BPA in the 3rd for sure, see who drops, but I can see Macc trying to trade down a few times to try and grab an extra pick or two....

i am a lifelong jet fan and no faith that this franchise will do anything right.  they will draft the wrong player, the right player who gets hurt, dave cadigan, jeff lageman or mike haight........believe me i can go on and on.  

4 home playoff games in 36 years kind tells me something.  and i don’t mind giving up second round picks, heck, gonna basically waste them on nothing anyway.  may as well use them to move up to take the wrong QB.

plus, bowles is so clueless, he makes rich kotitie look like lombardi.

love all the March banter - few thoughts on reading few of the above - 

The deal had to be made - I have no doubt if they stayed at 6 they would have been jumped and had all the QBs taken before they even picked....the fact that they didnt give up a 1st is a huge win....listening to the Giants beat reporter on NFL Sirius this am he said he heard that Jets think the Giants are not going QB so they will get their pick of the top 2....I'm not convinced of that but we'll see....Cleveland will be watching closely since if Giants go QB Cleveland is gift wrapped Barkley at 4.  

FA update - bargain bin begins.....Not sure how much $ is left but should be enough to add to the OL/TE which they desperately need.  

Coaching/GM - I agree it is not an ideal situation having both report to an owner that knows nothing about football....and most know in here I am not a fan of Bowles at all....but all these moves make it clear that he is going to be given a chance to develop this rookie QB....that means unless the wheels completely fall off he is likely HC for 2 more seasons...I am hoping he improves his coaching skills which are lacking IMO but the key to the development will be Bates.  It will be up to him (and McCown) to develop the rookie.  I hope he is as good as a lot of people think he is..

Teddy is a cheap lotto ticket that has no downside....he either hits and they have a great problem to have ala KC with Mahomes/Smith or he misses and its no harm....the more lotto tickets the better at QB as we've seen!  

Jet past - I understand how the past is always into play - this is the team that drafted Ken O'Brien over Marino; Blair Thomas over Emmitt Smith; Mark Sanchez.....Geno Smith, Hackenbergg....whiffed on a ton of 2d rders.....but all you can do is cross your fingers that Mac gets it right this time....on paper he has done all the right moves IMO - good cap position; made the team younger, faster with upside players and is all in on fixing the QB position long term.  It may or may not work out but I honestly can't complain about the moves on paper as of now.  

love all the March banter - few thoughts on reading few of the above - 

The deal had to be made - I have no doubt if they stayed at 6 they would have been jumped and had all the QBs taken before they even picked....the fact that they didnt give up a 1st is a huge win....listening to the Giants beat reporter on NFL Sirius this am he said he heard that Jets think the Giants are not going QB so they will get their pick of the top 2....I'm not convinced of that but we'll see....Cleveland will be watching closely since if Giants go QB Cleveland is gift wrapped Barkley at 4.  

FA update - bargain bin begins.....Not sure how much $ is left but should be enough to add to the OL/TE which they desperately need.  

Coaching/GM - I agree it is not an ideal situation having both report to an owner that knows nothing about football....and most know in here I am not a fan of Bowles at all....but all these moves make it clear that he is going to be given a chance to develop this rookie QB....that means unless the wheels completely fall off he is likely HC for 2 more seasons...I am hoping he improves his coaching skills which are lacking IMO but the key to the development will be Bates.  It will be up to him (and McCown) to develop the rookie.  I hope he is as good as a lot of people think he is..

Teddy is a cheap lotto ticket that has no downside....he either hits and they have a great problem to have ala KC with Mahomes/Smith or he misses and its no harm....the more lotto tickets the better at QB as we've seen!  

Jet past - I understand how the past is always into play - this is the team that drafted Ken O'Brien over Marino; Blair Thomas over Emmitt Smith; Mark Sanchez.....Geno Smith, Hackenbergg....whiffed on a ton of 2d rders.....but all you can do is cross your fingers that Mac gets it right this time....on paper he has done all the right moves IMO - good cap position; made the team younger, faster with upside players and is all in on fixing the QB position long term.  It may or may not work out but I honestly can't complain about the moves on paper as of now.  
OvertheCap shows us with $57m, but that's not including Bridgewater, Long, Ijalana, Santos,and Pierre-Louis.  No Williamson either So maybe around $34m?

I can't believe Skrine has survived with an $8.5m cap number.

I wouldn't trust McCags to tie my shoelaces correctly, but moving into the top 3 was a must move.

With 5 spots ahead of them for 4 QBs, there were potentially (and likely) 4 teams that would have taken a QB before them. Cleveland for sure. The Giants very possibly. Indy was looking to trade out with Buffalo looking to move up as well as potentially Arizona and Miami. Denver was another logical spot. That's a potential disaster situation that the Jets could not afford to risk.
I guess I can see that now...if four are gone by the 6th slot, then they would have failed, had not moved up.  I am not sure that will be the case, and I would have really liked for them to spend some of those second rounders on O-line.  My main point is, a good evaluator knows exactly what he wants and in what order.  Moving up at this juncture kind of shows he is fine with the top 3 (which does not scream confidence).  What if one of those top 3 gets hit by a bus tomorrow?  Too much currency and too many risks for my blood.  

I get the Jets need a QB, and I suppose it is necessary, but I just am unsure we have the right guy pulling the strings when it comes to QB.

I guess I can see that now...if four are gone by the 6th slot, then they would have failed, had not moved up.  I am not sure that will be the case, and I would have really liked for them to spend some of those second rounders on O-line.  My main point is, a good evaluator knows exactly what he wants and in what order.  Moving up at this juncture kind of shows he is fine with the top 3 (which does not scream confidence).  What if one of those top 3 gets hit by a bus tomorrow?  Too much currency and too many risks for my blood.  

I get the Jets need a QB, and I suppose it is necessary, but I just am unsure we have the right guy pulling the strings when it comes to QB.
Nothing about this management or organization screams confidence.

It was risky for sure, but far riskier to sit back imo. The chances of one of them getting hit by a bus or anything crazy is really slim and they would go to plan C, the 4th guy.

They allegedly called Cle about the top pick and couldn't get it. Either Cleveland wouldn't part with it or the price was crazy. If they reached out to Cleveland, then they tried with the Giants. They had to move up to 3 before Indy struck a deal with someone else. Maybe Buffalo, Denver, or someone else. They could always move up to #2 or #1 if the opportunity arises later and the price isn't crazy.

my big hope is that cleveland has darnold, allen, rosen rated even, so they take barkley 1.  nyg, if they don’t deal, take chubb or the ND G, thinking they can win now with Eli having another 2-3 yrs left.  this would leave darnold at 3 for the nyj.

Teddy's contract: $500k signing bonus, $500k workout bonus, $5m non-guaranteed salary,up to $9m in incentives.

So he can be cut or traded before the season for $1m on the cap.
1).  He should fire his agent...I know things have changed, but everyone thought they were shooting for QB regardless

2).  It will be a shame if we don't get to see what Teddy can do...and I don't think we will now.

Chemical X said:
my big hope is that cleveland has darnold, allen, rosen rated even, so they take barkley 1.  nyg, if they don’t deal, take chubb or the ND G, thinking they can win now with Eli having another 2-3 yrs left.  this would leave darnold at 3 for the nyj.
Nothing is impossible, but I would bet the farm this does not happen. CLE is under too much pressure to get a QB to skip one at 1. As pointed out before passing on QB's in recent drafts has bit them and they really don't have a choice but to take one at the top spot. I also think NYG would have made a trade with NYJ if they were not thinking QB at 2. Jets will most likely have their choice of the leftovers at 3.  

Nothing is impossible, but I would bet the farm this does not happen. CLE is under too much pressure to get a QB to skip one at 1. As pointed out before passing on QB's in recent drafts has bit them and they really don't have a choice but to take one at the top spot. I also think NYG would have made a trade with NYJ if they were not thinking QB at 2. Jets will most likely have their choice of the leftovers at 3.  
I see almost zero chance that the Brown's do not take a QB - especially now that the Jet's have traded to pick 3. I could see the Giants taking Barkley though. The best case scenario for the Jets at this point is them taking the second QB off the board - with of course a good chance it's the third.

I also think NYG would have made a trade with NYJ if they were not thinking QB at 2.
I keep seeing people say this, but I'm not so sure it has to be true.

You may be right, but what if they think Barkley is the best player in the draft and the player that will help them the most? They know Barkley isn’t lasting until pick 6.

What if they thought losing Barkley wasn’t worth an early second, a late second and a future second?

There are a lot of reports locally that the Giants think Eli gives them 2-3 more years and that they just drafted the heir apparent last year in Davis Webb. Some in the organization really like him. QB may not be their most pressing need, and they may not even think that highly of the QBs in this draft as compared to Webb.

Or maybe the Giants weren’t ready to pull the trigger yet because they are still evaluating QBs, Barkley, Nelson, Chubb etc don’t want to give away a potential future all-pro for a bunch of question marks? There will likely be a team like Buffalo or Miami willing to trade up closer to the draft to get a QB if the Giants decide to deal.

Everyone acts like they know everything this time of year and it almost never goes the way people think. 

We’ll see.

I keep seeing people say this, but I'm not so sure it has to be true.

You may be right, but what if they think Barkley is the best player in the draft and the player that will help them the most? They know Barkley isn’t lasting until pick 6.

What if they thought losing Barkley wasn’t worth an early second, a late second and a future second?

There are a lot of reports locally that the Giants think Eli gives them 2-3 more years and that they just drafted the heir apparent last year in Davis Webb. Some in the organization really like him. QB may not be their most pressing need, and they may not even think that highly of the QBs in this draft as compared to Webb.

Or maybe the Giants weren’t ready to pull the trigger yet because they are still evaluating QBs, Barkley, Nelson, Chubb etc don’t want to give away a potential future all-pro for a bunch of question marks? There will likely be a team like Buffalo or Miami willing to trade up closer to the draft to get a QB if the Giants decide to deal.

Everyone acts like they know everything this time of year and it almost never goes the way people think. 

We’ll see.
I am not claiming to know more than anyone else, just me speculating. I just cannot imagine not taking that ransom just to sit tight for an RB, especially when this RB group is so deep. I certainly could be wrong.  Although they saw what Elliot did for Dallas so it is certainly a possibility. 

I am not claiming to know more than anyone else, just me speculating. I just cannot imagine not taking that ransom just to sit tight for an RB, especially when this RB group is so deep. I certainly could be wrong.  Although they saw what Elliot did for Dallas so it is certainly a possibility. 
Yeah that "Everyone acts like they know everything" wasn't meant as a swipe at you - I was talking generally to make a point.

It was a great package - especially for the Colts who need a lot of help - but I don't really think it was some "no brainer" ransom either. It was an early second, a late second and a future second, which is not exactly any sure things.

Don't get me wrong,  the Jets could use those picks as well, but if the Giants thing Barkley has even Zeke Elliot potential (or Chubb or Nelson have All-Pro potential) taking him/them helps the team more than a few extra dart throws potentially.

It was a great package - especially for the Colts who need a lot of help - but I don't really think it was some "no brainer" ransom either. It was an early second, a late second and a future second, which is not exactly any sure things.

Don't get me wrong,  the Jets could use those picks as well, but if the Giants thing Barkley has even Zeke Elliot potential (or Chubb or Nelson have All-Pro potential) taking him/them helps the team more than a few extra dart throws potentially.
Your opinion is changing my view. If the NYG truly believe that Eli has 2-3 years left than I can see Barkley being the best option. Help your elderly QB with a sound running game to get back to the play-action with the downfield threats. 

Your opinion is changing my view. If the NYG truly believe that Eli has 2-3 years left than I can see Barkley being the best option. Help your elderly QB with a sound running game to get back to the play-action with the downfield threats. 
As a Lions' fan, with the benefit of hindsight knowing you won nothing while he was in Detroit, if you could have traded Barry Sanders for the 6th pick overall and 3 second round picks would you have done it?  Because that's what we're talking about here.  And, of course, there's no guarantee Barkley is even close to being Sanders-esque.

In my opinion no sane GM turns that down unless he's planning to draft a QB.

Hell, they could have made taken the Jets' deal, drafted Nelson at #6 and then moved back up for Guice or taken a different RB with those seconds and had a dominant running game.

As a Lions' fan, with the benefit of hindsight knowing you won nothing while he was in Detroit, if you could have traded Barry Sanders for the 6th pick overall and 3 second round picks would you have done it?  Because that's what we're talking about here.  And, of course, there's no guarantee Barkley is even close to being Sanders-esque.

Hell, they could have made taken the Jets' deal, drafted Nelson at #6 and then moved back up for Guice or taken a different RB with those seconds and had a dominant running game.
Do I trade a HOF skill position guy for one 1st and three 2nds?.....nope. I guess if they are sold on Barkley being a difference maker I would sit tight and draft him. 

i was remembering the 1997 draft when the jets had the 1 overall and there wasn’t a qb in sight.  they traded with the colts, down to 6 and got i think a 3,4 & 7 in 1997.  of course, no qb likely lowered the price, but that wasn’t a lot for HOFer Orlando Pace.  of course the jets got the mediocre james farrior.  

You think the Lions would have traded Barry Sanders for 3 second round picks?

It’s not really an apt comparison anyway, because the Giants have won two Super Bowls with Eli - so they know he’s capable.

there would be no guarantee they’d get Nelson either since many mocks have the Broncos taking him.

By no means am I saying the Giants will not take a QB. The Jets had to make that trade knowing it was possible - I just think there’s other possible outcomes including the Giants deciding later on to trade the pick and get a similar or better package from Buffalo, Denver or Miami (in which case they’d take a QB).

My stance is the Jets dealt with the Colts because the Browns and Giants rejected the same offer. And the only logical reason to reject that offer is because you intend to draft a QB.

Unless there’s some kind of unwritten no trade rule between the Jets/Giants I’m unaware of. 

Eli is old, and hasn’t really ever been good, honestly. The Giants won those championships with their pass rush. 

I was and Nope. Not even for the 5 that year, even knowing that it was Deion. 

Users who are viewing this thread