What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (9 Viewers)

The meltdown is always possible, but he's better than Tua right now.
I second that. He's also been better than the average QB, for the last year, by the eye test. I'm not sure what PFF says. I think the altitude affected the D in Denver, and Wilkins was out. Darnold won't be a sitting target like Flacco a few weeks ago vs Miami. I think the game will be competitive with a healthy Jets team. 

The meltdown is always possible, but he's better than Tua right now.
I’d be very worried about this if I were you guys. If you’re playing against Tua, you kind of know what your getting and can appropriately adjust personnel or play calling to assure the loss. But with Fitz, the Jets can think they have a double-digit loss in the bag and  he’ll toss 2 pick sixes and you find yourself in the win column. 

I’d be very worried about this if I were you guys. If you’re playing against Tua, you kind of know what your getting and can appropriately adjust personnel or play calling to assure the loss. But with Fitz, the Jets can think they have a double-digit loss in the bag and  he’ll toss 2 pick sixes and you find yourself in the win column. 
And Fitz has burned the Jets in clutch moments it's true.

-QG

Darnold says, only 2 pick sixes?  The Jets are missing both of their right tackles. Sam will be in prime panic mode.

In all seriousness, they won last time 24-0 despite Fitz's 2 INTs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm less worried about this game now.

huge game....i always watch Fins/Jets with a buddy...tradition goes back 30 yrs....but this will be the 1st time Ill be rooting for the Fins as much as he will.....go Fitz!!!  

Darnold says, only 2 pick sixes?  The Jets are missing both of their right tackles. Sam will be in prime panic mode.

In all seriousness, they won last time 24-0 despite Fitz's 2 INTs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm less worried about this game now.
Fitzpatrick also threw 3 TDs. Flacco was terrible in that game. The Jets are scoring points now with Mims and Herndon back - I expect a close game. Darnold was OK in the 2 Miami games last year, but this defense is much better, so who knows.

13 touches for Frank Gore in first half. Go Jets!!
Between the tackles, he's still the best they have. 13 for 60 and a nice sideline grab - he's had a good first half. Gase loves Gore from his very good 2018 season with the Dolphins. Isn't Gase calling plays today?

But Miami went through 4 or 5 RBs and found a possible gem in Salvon Ahmed, who could be a good backup in 2021.

Frank Gore is looking pretty good as my second flex today in one league.

The tank is looking pretty good after a scary first quarter.

So Cleveland marched right down and kicked a field goal. 20-19.

You have to be kidding me. That franchise is as bad as ours from the owner on down.

Ugh, jax misses a 2 point conversion to tie the game. Still not totally dead though
After they went for two points up 19-17. That was head-scratching. Terrible decision by the coach, terrible execution on both two-point tries. I don't think Robinson touched the ball on either attempt, which is just insanely stupid. 

Lol, jax gives up a first down on 3rd and 12 on a screen pass to all but end the game. Just horrendous.  This is really a race to the bottom

5.....more

Only downside is that sam is just absolutely tanking his trade stock. Kid is horrendous 
Miami overpaid with a late 2nd for Rosen, with the justification that he would be on a cheap rookie contract for 3 more years - a cheap backup in the worse case. But he wasn't even a good backup. Darnold is better than Rosen, but only has 1 cheap year left, or is it 2? I could see interest from a few teams, including the Bengals.

I want to start a petition to the NFL where they'll award an extra first round pick to the Jets if they promise NOT to draft Lawrence.

Miami overpaid with a late 2nd for Rosen, with the justification that he would be on a cheap rookie contract for 3 more years - a cheap backup in the worse case. But he wasn't even a good backup. Darnold is better than Rosen, but only has 1 cheap year left, or is it 2? I could see interest from a few teams, including the Bengals.
One more year with the 5th year option coming up. 

The Jags are such a tease. They're playing hard. They would probably kill us. Glennon was an upgrade from Luton by far, but he missed Cole for about 3 tds.

In a somber note, I’m not sure how anyone could defend Sam at this point. Flacco moved this same offense more successfully and he’s not good. No matter what they have to consider taking a QB or sign a stop gap option.

In a somber note, I’m not sure how anyone could defend Sam at this point. Flacco moved this same offense more successfully and he’s not good. No matter what they have to consider taking a QB or sign a stop gap option.
He truly doesn't have it. He turtles every time there's a rush and just doesn't locate open receivers.

No more excuses. The good pick must be used on a QB.

I've got a couple of friends that said after the game that he was given such a bad hand and cannot excel under Gase. I said yeah, but what does that have to do with the bad decisions and errant passes? He stinks like baby poop.

I've got a couple of friends that said after the game that he was given such a bad hand and cannot excel under Gase. I said yeah, but what does that have to do with the bad decisions and errant passes? He stinks like baby poop.
It's driving me bats*** crazy having to listen to this narrative every single week.  Friends, media, etc.  Sam is either the nicest guy in the history of the NFL, or he's got some nudie pics of the right producers - because the amount of people that come to his defense every week and just generically blame Gase/the Jets for "not developing him" or "not putting any weapons around him" is sickening.  Flacco comes in and the offense performs like a below avg, but NFL OFFENSE and no one says a word about play calling.  Sam comes back, looks arguably as bad as he ever has, and we get dopes like Orlovsky going right back to this phantom "Gase's play calling" excuse for Sam.

Coming here truly makes me appreciate the unique fan base we have right here at FBG - because although we're miserable, we're all pretty damn reasonable, realistic and levelheaded - which is  a lot more than you can say for a huge portion of the fan base and the media that covers this doodoo team.

It's driving me bats*** crazy having to listen to this narrative every single week.  Friends, media, etc.  Sam is either the nicest guy in the history of the NFL, or he's got some nudie pics of the right producers - because the amount of people that come to his defense every week and just generically blame Gase/the Jets for "not developing him" or "not putting any weapons around him" is sickening.  Flacco comes in and the offense performs like a below avg, but NFL OFFENSE and no one says a word about play calling.  Sam comes back, looks arguably as bad as he ever has, and we get dopes like Orlovsky going right back to this phantom "Gase's play calling" excuse for Sam.

Coming here truly makes me appreciate the unique fan base we have right here at FBG - because although we're miserable, we're all pretty damn reasonable, realistic and levelheaded - which is  a lot more than you can say for a huge portion of the fan base and the media that covers this doodoo team.
They're not wrong about Gase. He is as bad as there is, but that has nothing to do with missing open WRs or forcing throws into triple coverage.  I think a lot of it is just hatred of Gase and looking for another thing to hate him for.

They're not wrong about Gase. He is as bad as there is, but that has nothing to do with missing open WRs or forcing throws into triple coverage.  I think a lot of it is just hatred of Gase and looking for another thing to hate him for.
Yes, no doubt Darnold was dealt a bad hand - but also he did nothing to rise above it, or to make anyone think his ceiling is greater than Andy Dalton, and that may be generous.

Yes, no doubt Darnold was dealt a bad hand - but also he did nothing to rise above it, or to make anyone think his ceiling is greater than Andy Dalton, and that may be generous.
Exactly.  The 2 are not mutually exclusive and that's the point these fans have trouble understanding - and ALL media pundits especially local sports radio seem to perpetuate.  At a point, you have to transcend all surrounding BS and show you belong in the league.  When 35 year old Joe Flacco has thoroughly outplayed you, you're going the wrong way.  Just hope he's not tanking his value below a 2nd rounder at this point.

As a Bengals fan I don't see us trading a meaningful asset for a one-year QB (at most QB).

I can see bringing an old guy possibly if they decide that Brandon Allen doesn't cut it as a backup (I think the ship has sailed on Finley).  And Mikey hates hates hates trading away picks.

Not saying they cannot get a decent asset for Darnold.  Just saying there's zero chance it'd be to my team.

-QG

As a Bengals fan I don't see us trading a meaningful asset for a one-year QB (at most QB).

I can see bringing an old guy possibly if they decide that Brandon Allen doesn't cut it as a backup (I think the ship has sailed on Finley).  And Mikey hates hates hates trading away picks.

Not saying they cannot get a decent asset for Darnold.  Just saying there's zero chance it'd be to my team.

-QG
Yeah, Cincy makes no sense. Potential teams might be Pittsburgh, Indy, SF, maybe Denver, and Bears. The Saints were a potential team, but I guess they would rather run the wildcat all day.

Yeah, Cincy makes no sense. Potential teams might be Pittsburgh, Indy, SF, maybe Denver, and Bears. The Saints were a potential team, but I guess they would rather run the wildcat all day.
Yep - gotta figure out the team that liked him but how no chance to draft him and would prefer him to whatever they could get with their 2nd round pick.  It'll be hard for the Jets to get a late first for him in part because teams know they'll be moving on from him.  And there does seem to be a glut of young and or cheap QBs that can serve as a stop-gap.  You need the coach/team that thinks they are smarter than everyone else - unfortunately the most likely suspect is in your division.  Stafford's dead money hit would be awful - but depending on what they bring in to replace Patricia Detroit could be a possibility too I would think.

-QG

Yep - gotta figure out the team that liked him but how no chance to draft him and would prefer him to whatever they could get with their 2nd round pick.  It'll be hard for the Jets to get a late first for him in part because teams know they'll be moving on from him.  And there does seem to be a glut of young and or cheap QBs that can serve as a stop-gap.  You need the coach/team that thinks they are smarter than everyone else - unfortunately the most likely suspect is in your division.  Stafford's dead money hit would be awful - but depending on what they bring in to replace Patricia Detroit could be a possibility too I would think.

-QG
Elway was allegedly enamored of Darnold. Several other teams. 

I don't think you need to look at it from the perspective of a coach/team that thinks they are smarter than everyone else. I think you should look at it as coaches/teams that think they are smarter than the Jets. Hint: that's almost everyone. Most teams that liked Darnold originally probably feel that the Jets are a tire fire that would prevent any player from reaching his potential. Even Jets fans wouldn't argue with that.

Also, I don't think that any team is going to view Darnold as a potential stop gap. They would look at him as someone with the tools to be potentially good once the kinks are corrected (like his footwork and throwing off his back foot). The kind of team I think would be interested would be the teams that draft too low to grab one of the better prospects.  Darnold carries a $4+m cap hit next season.  A team acquiring him would not pick up his 5th year option. It would be more of a one-year tryout.

I had a specific team based in Massachuttes with the "smarter than" comment ;) .  But yeah I agree with you - depending on how these teams view the non top-2 QBs

-QG

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a specific team based in Massachuttes with the "smarter than" comment ;) .  But yeah I agree with you - depending on how these teams view the non top-2 QBs

-QG
I knew who you meant. It did make me wonder. Would JD trade Darnold to NE? Hmm. I think he would if it was clearly the best deal. Maybe.

Interesting game - Miami seemed to want to hand the Jets a win for a while but Sam and coaching just refused to take it.....Few thoughts

Sam - We've been ahead of the curve on this one.....Sam is just not a good QB....yes he has had piss poor coaching and lack of talent around him but Flacco has exposed him....there is no reason Sam should be this bad at this point of his career.....I was on board for only getting rid of Sam for Trevor...now I think they have to take a shot at Fields if they drop to 2d....Sam needs a reset with a top team with a solid coaching staff/old QB....Indy/Pitt should be all over him....Im thinking a 3rd but pray maybe JD can get enough interest to snag a bit more.  Time to reset - hes not worth the 2d contract he'd demand if he was here as the starter.  Heck Winston and Mariotta showed more and had to go with the backup route....its over

Gore - I know hes a HOF gamer but every touch he gets is just brutal....what a waste not seeing what they had in Perine while they had a chance

WRs - Cant blame them for this - looked very serviceable....Mims looks like a raw #1 WR in the making if he gets some coaching and a good QB....height, speed, hands...like what I see.  Perriman is more of a WR3 with Crowder in the slot.....I would go out and get A-Rob or Juju to be the #1 and go with those 4 next year.  

TE - Herndon shows signs of life - so not one target...terrible job by the coaching

OL - looked solid enough - love Becton - definitely need 2 more studs - Id grab a top RT in FA then draft a top IOL/C with the 2d rd pick....OL should be in top 50% of league for next QB which is pretty good.  

DL - Q!  Ill eat my words on him.....he looks like a disrupter and top DL...finally hit on one and they need to keep him....GWill has done a good job coaching him up - still need a pass rusher - maybe grab one in FA with all that cap room.  

LB - Hewitt keeps making plays and looks like the keeper of the group - Mosely will help and Id add a middle of rd FA to round it out

DBs - Not awful - Hall looks like he could develop into a solid #2...they still need a #1 which I would go in FA.  I thin kthe MAye/Davis tandem is fine....Maye is on track to get a reasonable contract....solid tandem there

Coaching - putrid, god awful....I want to do a separate post on Gase so Ill just leave it at that...awful

ST - Mann has been solid - of course we clamor for the old kicker and he botches a chip shot...giving him one mulligan on that

So the tank continues - Im happy Raiders got crushed by a lousy Atlanta team....they cant afford to lose another so feeling good about losing the next 2 as Seattle will destroy the Jets....Cleveland should have lost to the Jags and Pats may not have anything to play for.....two biggest worries

Did anyone see the Gase presser where Cimini cross examined Gase and caught him in a bold face lie on playcalling....claimed Loggins still playing the calls and Cimini called out that they watched Loggins for a long time and it was clear he was not...."he was just standing there" lol.....Gase got flustered and stammered out some BS but clearly busted....so blame the 3 pt performance on him....cant wait for this guy to be gone...what a terrible coach and rep of teh franchise....I despise him more than Kotite which is saying something...

Did anyone see the Gase presser where Cimini cross examined Gase and caught him in a bold face lie on playcalling....claimed Loggins still playing the calls and Cimini called out that they watched Loggins for a long time and it was clear he was not...."he was just standing there" lol.....Gase got flustered and stammered out some BS but clearly busted....so blame the 3 pt performance on him....cant wait for this guy to be gone...what a terrible coach and rep of teh franchise....I despise him more than Kotite which is saying something...
Yeah, if I was still in my 20's/early 30's and were emotionally tied to this joke of a franchise, id be humiliated.

I honestly dont know what the hell kind of football job this guy is going to get after he finally gets canned. I guess some team could hire him in some sort of backroom analysis role, but you can't make him your OC or anyone directly responsible for what happens on the field and still keep any sort of credibility.

"Its not hard. This is not hard" .....well apparently it is, since you're 0-11

"These are the 3 plays. I do the 3rd downs".....Gotta give him credit for this. At least he's not expending any unnecessary energy planning for them actually getting a first down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread