What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (8 Viewers)

just peeked at Watson;s contract...very reasonable cap number of $15.9M but if not on the team all the bonus $ would hit and the dead cap hit would be $67M....not gonna happen lol

As much as I'd like the team to honor Carl's memory and make things right (passing on him was beyond stupid. I was BEGGING for them to take him), this isn't happening.

Its not the NBA. Dude signed a deal and no team is going to take that cap hit while also giving up an asset like Watson.

No chance. Zero.

As much as I'd like the team to honor Carl's memory and make things right (passing on him was beyond stupid. I was BEGGING for them to take him), this isn't happening.

Its not the NBA. Dude signed a deal and no team is going to take that cap hit while also giving up an asset like Watson.

No chance. Zero.
That's what I said essentially in the WFT thread. I thought it was posted here because he was either:

1. Forcing a trade
  2. Reportedly on the block
There's no way with that salary, at his age, and him being the cornerstone, that they'd deal him. Even if he wanted out (which I wouldn't be surprised if he does, with all that's going on in Houston) their organization should have neither the inclination to get rid of a guy who is by all measures one of the best in the game, nor the whereabouts to absorb the cap hit. None.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jets interviewed Saleh yesterday and Joe Brady today. The latter is interesting because he hadn't appeared on our list of requested coaches.

Even more interesting is that we are expected to interview Matt Campbell.

Jets interviewed Saleh yesterday and Joe Brady today. The latter is interesting because he hadn't appeared on our list of requested coaches.

Even more interesting is that we are expected to interview Matt Campbell.
With Urban Meyer likely taking the Jags gig, that leaves a better candidate for the Jets.

With Urban Meyer likely taking the Jags gig, that leaves a better candidate for the Jets.
I said this in the other thread: Please, Urban, take Fields. Just do something colossally stupid like we would and take him.

Though I think he called Trevor the best quarterback he's seen in college yet. Dang.

And that's why you never pay an overrated safety so much money. The Rams had 79 passing yards at the half and 78 came against him. Plus he whiffed on like three tackles on that key scoring drive before the half. This was a good result for our draft pick.

And that's why you never pay an overrated safety so much money. The Rams had 79 passing yards at the half and 78 came against him. Plus he whiffed on like three tackles on that key scoring drive before the half. This was a good result for our draft pick.
IMO,  he's not overrated.  He's just playing a position that doesn't matter much anymore.  If you could smoke dudes going over the middle,  he'd probably do that and be pretty good at it. But you can't anymore. 

His ball skills are non existent and he can get burned in coverage at times,  but his impact near the LOS is huge. 

But yeah,  glad to see them lose. Every spot in the draft helps 

IMO,  he's not overrated.  He's just playing a position that doesn't matter much anymore.  If you could smoke dudes going over the middle,  he'd probably do that and be pretty good at it. But you can't anymore. 

His ball skills are non existent and he can get burned in coverage at times,  but his impact near the LOS is huge. 

Hey, Todd, good to have you on board. But it's tough to say that "he's not overrated" and then say "his ball skills are non-existent and he can get burned in coverage." You're talking about a guy that somebody thought was worth two first-rounders while admitting the ball skills and coverage bit. Williams schemed him up last year and he looked great, but he was playing as a linebacker, really, if not an EDGE rusher at times. That's why he was in the backfield so much as a DB.

0 Ints today (2 in his career)

45th ranked safety (PFF) Ranked 70-something in coverage. Probably even worse today.

He missed key tackles all game long, but danced pretty well when he missed tackles, but his teammates made the play.

4 tackles today.

The only thing he really does well is pressure the QB and he had 0 sacks.

Tell me again how this guy isn't overrated? He had zero impact. Actually probably negative impact. But other than that, yeah, he's amazing!

Hey, Todd, good to have you on board. But it's tough to say that "he's not overrated" and then say "his ball skills are non-existent and he can get burned in coverage." You're talking about a guy that somebody thought was worth two first-rounders while admitting the ball skills and coverage bit. Williams schemed him up last year and he looked great, but he was playing as a linebacker, really, if not an EDGE rusher at times. That's why he was in the backfield so much as a DB.

0 Ints today (2 in his career)

45th ranked safety (PFF) Ranked 70-something in coverage. Probably even worse today.

He missed key tackles all game long, but danced pretty well when he missed tackles, but his teammates made the play.

4 tackles today.

The only thing he really does well is pressure the QB and he had 0 sacks.

Tell me again how this guy isn't overrated? He had zero impact. Actually probably negative impact. But other than that, yeah, he's amazing!

Oh, I hear you guys.

He obviously had a bad game today (he's hurt, but no excuse). And if I was the one signing a big check for a safety, he's not the one I'd spend it on. (I'd want a ball hawk in the 2021 NFL, not a thumper)  He's (at times) a great chess piece capable of making impact plays but as you said....certainly not worth the price Seattle paid (especially considering that they're now headed to the golf course).  I'm rather glad to have the picks rather than the player.

And FYI, I dont plan on being on the board for very long. I'll likely only be here for a couple of months (unless our GB TLEF decides to say more bad words about a certain bad man who did a bad thing this week)

Thanks for letting us get Pollack back - he was great as our o-line coach in '18.  If he wasn't so hot with you guys I am sure that was a product of your control freak former coach.

Did you guys can all of the assistants or hope to hang on to some of them?

-QG

I said this in the other thread: Please, Urban, take Fields. Just do something colossally stupid like we would and take him.

Though I think he called Trevor the best quarterback he's seen in college yet. Dang.
Meyer really doesn’t have a connection to Fields - Fields transferred in after Meyer was retired. I know Meyers still shows up to OSU games and probably has dialogue with Day, but I doubt he takes this job and then makes a move as a “fan” rather than take the QB he truly thinks is best. I think it’s safe to say he’s only even considering the JAX job because of Lawrence. Hope to be wrong of course.

Scary rumor circulating that Jets are interested in trading for Doug Pederson...

1.  Only coaches I would trade comp for are literally top of the game like Reid...maybe Payton.  Pederson is not even close to being worth comp

2.  Eagles have imploded since the SB win at Wentz regressed even worse than Darnold....becoming clear that Reich was very responsible for the SB run

3.  I still have flashbacks to the last losing Eagles coach the Jets hired....

Scary rumor circulating that Jets are interested in trading for Doug Pederson...

1.  Only coaches I would trade comp for are literally top of the game like Reid...maybe Payton.  Pederson is not even close to being worth comp

2.  Eagles have imploded since the SB win at Wentz regressed even worse than Darnold....becoming clear that Reich was very responsible for the SB run

i don't think Douglass is stupid enough to worry about this happening.

Oof. No thanks on Pederson.

Looks like Campbell is out....

how do you guys rank the candidates so far?

1.  Joe Brady - yes it may be a year too early but willing to take a risk....maybe team him up with a coordindator with HC experience

2.  Brian Dabo - Brady as Id be happy to land either - what the Biff O has done is amazing....Allen has developed into a top QB...Im literally shocked at that

3.  Arthur Smith - Really like what he did in Tenn - ground and pound but with a solid air attack....really turned around Tanny

4.  Bienemy - still not sold on this guy no matter how hot his name gets

5.  Martindale - still think Wink will get a close look this week

Rest of the field.....

Something more fun to think about - a little more info about what Watson is thinking:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30685827/houston-texans-ignored-search-firm-hiring-gm-nick-caserio-sources-say

We knew they ignored the search firm and that Watson was angry, but this is the first time I've seen him described as his "anger level being a 10".  He doesn't have much leverage, but if he makes enough of a stink about it, that will make their search for a new head coach difficult.  Despite the financial considerations, he can still force his way out of HOU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qynydbBpqy4

Kiddnets said:

I think Douglas is smarter than this. There’s enough good candidates out there that you can’t give up w needed asset for a guy like Pederson - who still may be fired anyway.

I think Douglas is smarter than this. There’s enough good candidates out there that you can’t give up w needed asset for a guy like Pederson - who still may be fired anyway.
I really hope so...but NFL is definitely a who you know business.....I can just see Chris Johnson spouting how they were able to land a Super Bowl winning coach lol

Cimini reporting from his interview with Todd McShay. McShay was Douglas's college teammate and knows him well. Says he's likely happy with Darnold and will trade down with Atlanta for the No. 2 pick. Jets will pick up a second and third rounder.

I think that's a terrible idea all around. Watching Darnold for another year will be excruciating.

Cimini reporting from his interview with Todd McShay. McShay was Douglas's college teammate and knows him well. Says he's likely happy with Darnold and will trade down with Atlanta for the No. 2 pick. Jets will pick up a second and third rounder.

I think that's a terrible idea all around. Watching Darnold for another year will be excruciating.
That's a decent haul to move down just 2 spots.....but Sam is toast. 

I heard McShay say that on a podcast with Kiper a couple of days after the Ohio State -Clemson game.  I would word that differently though. No one could possibly by happy with Darnold. He might be happy to get a haul and if it meant sticking with Darnold for another year.  Hopefully no incoming coach with functional eyesight would agree with McShay's opinion.

I heard McShay say that on a podcast with Kiper a couple of days after the Ohio State -Clemson game.  I would word that differently though. No one could possibly by happy with Darnold. He might be happy to get a haul and if it meant sticking with Darnold for another year.  Hopefully no incoming coach with functional eyesight would agree with McShay's opinion.
Yeah, those are my words. He said Douglas would go with him, and I'm not sure of the exact wording there. "...run it back with Sam Darnold" is what he said.

If Atlanta was doing it to draft a QB, I would feel better about doing it if they could throw Matt Ryan into the deal as a bridge QB - of course I don’t think that’s realistic.

I would insist on Philly including Sudfeld in any trade for Pederson. ;)

That feels like a rumor someone looking for clicks from NJ would generate tbh - get both Eagles and Jets clicks/calls.

One question - does Douglas blow a lot of misinfo into the media regarding the draft?  Is that his m/o? Some teams always seem to the disinfo thing (Buffalo comes to mind) while others that will remain nameless will have their former player/radio analyst tell the entire league what we....er they....did I say we?...plan to literally right before the draft.  Does Douglas do constructive leaking?

-QG

Much like the useless Harbaugh rumors, I'm ignoring the Pederson rumors.  Pulling for Brady at the moment now that Campbell has turned down any NFL interviews.

The trade down with ATL intriguing.  At 4, we can still grab 1 of Sewell Fields or Wilson if that's how the grading shakes out.  If Sewell is there, I suppose there's the chance of another move down to 5 with Cincy - and then maybe we can just scoop up best available interior D lineman/safety.  

I know nothing about how Trey Lance is going to grade out, and obviously much of this depends on who they hire as coach - but Seattle's 23 overall, plus our 2 2's and 2 3's in this hypothetical Atlanta trade would give us plenty of ammo to move back up in rd1 to get the QB after all.  

QuizGuy66 said:
I would insist on Philly including Sudfeld in any trade for Pederson. ;)

That feels like a rumor someone looking for clicks from NJ would generate tbh - get both Eagles and Jets clicks/calls.

One question - does Douglas blow a lot of misinfo into the media regarding the draft?  Is that his m/o? Some teams always seem to the disinfo thing (Buffalo comes to mind) while others that will remain nameless will have their former player/radio analyst tell the entire league what we....er they....did I say we?...plan to literally right before the draft.  Does Douglas do constructive leaking?

-QG
Like a Ziplock bag, no leaking at all.

yeah, that rumor was beyond Silly. The jets weren't going to trade for Doug Pederson. Come on.

The BYU kid doesn't do it for it (Ironic, I know.....) so trading from 2-4 to end up with him (I assume Atl would go Fields and Miami would take Sewell) would not be ideal. At that point, I'm trading back again and gambling on Lance.

Saints defensive backs coach Aaron Glenn interviewed with the Jets for the team's head coaching vacancy. 

Glenn, a first round draft pick by the Jets in 1994 and a two-time Pro Bowl corner, has coached the Saints defensive backs since 2017. The Saints secondary has been among the league's best coverage units during that stretch, as Glenn helped develop defensive standouts Marshon Lattimore and Vonn Bell. The Jets are also considering Marvin Lewis and Robert Saleh for their head coaching vacancy. 
Odd interview but you never know.

So now what?

I think many of us were apprehensive about Fields even after his fantastic performance against Clemson, but last night he did not look good at all. I'm just not sure that you can risk this No. 2 pick on him, Wilson or one of the other QBs. I now hear some think we should be looking at Mac Jones with the Seattle pick, but to be honest he looks to be a system QB - he mostly just dumps the ball off to the superior Alabama talent with an occasional deep strike here and there.

If the Atlanta trade down deal is truly on the table I think that has to be considered. I think Devanta Smith is now an option for this team as well.

If they stick at 1.02, I may be back on the Sewell train and just build the line up (and deal with paying two LTs when the time comes). Both Sewell and Becton played RT earlier in their college careers so that's not an issue. 

I do not have much faith in Sam Darnold, but if one of the HC candidates do maybe we give him one more shot while also adding a veteran QB to battle with him in camp (maybe Matt Ryan can be a piece of the deal with Atlanta) and/or replace him if he falters in-season. With their draft pick ammunition next year they can try and trade up for a QB if Darnold doesn't earn another contract with the Jets.

For the sake of argument let's say they draft Sewell, sign Allen Robinson or JJSS in free agency, take a WR with the Seattle pick, and Harris or Etiene with their second round pick and all of a sudden, the team has an offense. If Sam can't move the ball in this scenario we know it's officially time to move on.

I'm not really sure what the answer is at this point but hopefully Douglas gets it right.

The Jets are conducting a second interview today with 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh for the team's head coaching vacancy. 

Saleh appears to be a finalist for the Jets' head coaching job. The energetic 41-year-old is coming off a season in which his defense was fifth in defensive DVOA despite a rash of injuries and the loss of dominant DT DeForest Buckner to the Colts. He could be the one to clean up Adam Gase's disaster in New York. 
Happy to see him getting a second interview. 

yeah, last night certainly let some air out of the balloon. He didn't play BAD, but he obviously didn't play WELL and there was a lot working against him.  He was banged up, lost his starting RB on the first play of the game and it became pretty clear that OSU had no answer for Bama's offense. So Bama's defense was able to just play super aggressive.

While he had an incredible night against Clemson, there were certainly some busted coverages and just some guys that got beat deep. Credit to him....he made the throws. But those opportunities weren't there last night. And he failed to throw guys open and threw up a lot of 50-50 type balls. It certainly didn't alleviate any of the concerns I had.

I want no part of Wilson. As for Jones at 23....its something that did cross my mind while watching last night. I think the kid is REALLY smart and he was accurate and he limits mistakes. But as noted....he was surrounded by a historically good offense and wasn't good enough to crack the lineup until his senior year (and as the NFL appears to be showing....Tua is not a generational talent). So....I dont know.  I'm sure if we went back and watched Brady's college tape, he wouldn't stand out as anything special. Of course, Brady is the only Brady. In all likelihood (just based on the logical odds) Jones is PROBABLY just a really nice college QB that had an all-time greeat team around him.

I honestly have no idea where they go at this point. Of course people are now talking about maybe considering Smith at 2. Man would THAT be a gamble. He's obviously an incredible player, but a 175lb WR at #2 in the draft?  That's scary. And while he certainly plays fast and appears to run great routes, its not like he has Tyreke Hill type ludicrous speed that changes the game. Most people expect him to run in the 4.4's.

Based on last night, if the rumored Atlanta trade down for an extra 2 and a 3 was actually available, I think you'd have to take it. Of course....I have no idea what you do at QB at that point.  Lance still intrigues me.

So now what?

I think many of us were apprehensive about Fields even after his fantastic performance against Clemson, but last night he did not look good at all. I'm just not sure that you can risk this No. 2 pick on him, Wilson or one of the other QBs. I now hear some think we should be looking at Mac Jones with the Seattle pick, but to be honest he looks to be a system QB - he mostly just dumps the ball off to the superior Alabama talent with an occasional deep strike here and there.

If the Atlanta trade down deal is truly on the table I think that has to be considered. I think Devanta Smith is now an option for this team as well.

If they stick at 1.02, I may be back on the Sewell train and just build the line up (and deal with paying two LTs when the time comes). Both Sewell and Becton played RT earlier in their college careers so that's not an issue. 

I do not have much faith in Sam Darnold, but if one of the HC candidates do maybe we give him one more shot while also adding a veteran QB to battle with him in camp (maybe Matt Ryan can be a piece of the deal with Atlanta) and/or replace him if he falters in-season. With their draft pick ammunition next year they can try and trade up for a QB if Darnold doesn't earn another contract with the Jets.

For the sake of argument let's say they draft Sewell, sign Allen Robinson or JJSS in free agency, take a WR with the Seattle pick, and Harris or Etiene with their second round pick and all of a sudden, the team has an offense. If Sam can't move the ball in this scenario we know it's officially time to move on.

I'm not really sure what the answer is at this point but hopefully Douglas gets it right.
I know you cant base a pick off of one game but man I was hoping the kid would light it up again and make it an easy decision.  No such luck as its the Jets.....

All options are officially on the table now...I can see JD going many ways and all of them could be justified.  Im warming up to a trade down but I dont want to go outside of the top 7 as see about 6 blue chip offensive playmakers left at that point that would help big time while picking up additional assets

top 7: Fields, Wilson, Lance, Sewell, Chase, Smith

Im not a big fan of spending a top 10 pick on a WR.....especially when they should be able to land a good one in FA....so that cuts it down to 4.....which makes a trade down with the Falcons make sense...they could still get 1 of Sewell Wilson and Lance along with some more picks.  As we saw last yr with Mims, JD is true to his board and even if he obviously likes a player he is willing to trade down and risk losing him if the value isnt there.  

If they could get a 2d and 3rd from Atlanta, trade Sam for another 3rd  to lets say Pittsburgh, this options would give them: 4, 23, 34, 35, 66, 68, 87, 88, 98, 130, 162

Thats 9 players out of the top 100.....and they would still be able to grab either a franchise QB thats how you rebuild a team.  

Users who are viewing this thread