Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 New York Jets: Zach Wilson and Justin Fields sleeping in their 49ers pajamas until draft day

Bailey's money from everywhere within 55, really. That's quite the leg. Don't blow this, guys, or overthink it.  Dallas ####ed up hard here. They replaced him with a guy who kicks 78% in the CFL. Pounce. 

eta* He's had one bad year. Last year. And it was 75%, 15-20, and two missed XP out of 28. Not shockingly bad.  

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the season's over already - thought I'd share a story about my brief time with the Jets. In the offseason of 2007, I got the opportunity to a do a strength and conditioning internship with

Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Kn

It is pretty funny what he does with the titles. This latest one with Gore is an exemplary effort by the good doctor!

9 minutes ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Davis Webb signed to practice squad. He and Hackenberg both wear #5, so it's probably still available. :unsure:

Did they drop Wolford to sign him?

I'm shocked the Giants released him. He looked bad in first game but looked very good after that. Smart move by the Jets as he could be at worst a serviceable back-up in 2019 or at best more trade bait.

Two guys that I was surprised to see waived were Tre McBride and Clive Walford. They both had very good preseasons and neither position is a strength exactly. I know the Jets have a few young tight ends they like but I just feel Walford has every bit the upside as any of them and could have been a decent "veteran" target for Darnold to lean on.

33 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Someone in a deep dyno im in picked up a rb named trenton cannon......awesome name....anything to see?? Never heard of him

Very fast but his stock is down because he was a disaster on special teans during the preseason. If McGuire comes back healthy I'm not sure what role he has on offense

35 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Someone in a deep dyno im in picked up a rb named trenton cannon......awesome name....anything to see?? Never heard of him

Somewhat surprised he even made the team.  Didn’t see anything in preseason to impress, and plenty to question.

35 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

They kept him during cutdowns after sending McGuire to IR - and while he offers an element that the other backs don’t, speed, he was really unimpressive this preseason. He showed terrible hands in the passing game and got what was blocked as a runner, and not much more. I still hold out some hope for him, but D. Henderson, who was signed to the practice squad, may end up being the better option after getting acclimated with the playbook and staff.

17 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Somewhat surprised he even made the team.  Didn’t see anything in preseason to impress, and plenty to question.

Considering how bad his first draft ended up, I doubt he was willing to drop a current year's draft pick.  Outside of Williams, that first draft was total garbage.

2016 wasn't much better. I think Lee stinks. Jenkins is ok. Shell TBD.

I'm not sold on last year either. Hopefully Adams and Maye get better. They have flashed here and there, but I was expecting to see more from Adams.  We'll see in year 2. Hansen and Donahue already cut. Stewart looks terrible. Leggett and Eli tbd.

It looks like this year was his best draft by far and probably saved his job. Let's see if Darnold can save Bozo the Head Coach's job, too.

• Like 2
Just now, Dr. Octopus said:

First pass - not sure if he handed one off first?

Ya I heard them mention his first pass.  I'm assuming he handed one off first.  Likely the only guy who walks out there his first time and slings it to the other team on his first snap

9 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Ya I heard them mention his first pass.  I'm assuming he handed one off first.  Likely the only guy who walks out there his first time and slings it to the other team on his first snap

Looking at his game log on pro football reference and see that all 4 passes came in his 2nd NFL game.  In his first against the Rams he had no stats.

-QG

2 minutes ago, QuizGuy66 said:

Looking at his game log on pro football reference and see that all 4 passes came in his 2nd NFL game.  In his first against the Rams he had no stats.

-QG

Hmmm... meaning he didn't get in the game or only handed it off when he was in there?

Just now, Deamon said:

Hmmm... meaning he didn't get in the game or only handed it off when he was in there?

Got credited with a game.  Trying to find anything from it.

Anyway here is a stirring Favre rookie compilation as we are in full threadjack mode Linky

-QG

Favre did three handoffs in first game.  This whole article is wild btw. Linky

Anyway congrats to Darnold on his first TD pass.

-QG

"Favre’s regular-season debut came on Oct. 27, against the Rams at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. Miller had left the game with a bruised right thigh, and Tolliver went 5 for 5 for 45 yards before a hip pointer forced him out too. With 1:54 remaining in the fourth quarter, his team up 31–14, Brett Favre walked onto the field under Glanville’s directive: “Don’t do anything stupid, Mississippi.” Favre successfully handed off three times. “Hey, I came in and ran out the clock pretty good, didn’t I?” he joked afterward. “I think I found me a new role. I’ll be our kill-the-clock guy.” "

Edited by QuizGuy66
1 hour ago, Mr. Brownstone said:

Brighter days ahead for the Jets.

Only watched part of the game but he looked awful good for a rookie. Composed, accurate, knowing where to throw. And his teammates seem to like him. A lot to build on there.

Of course, it's just one game.

I’m not sure what to say because I’m not used to this strange feeling (I think it’s hope). Only the first play of the game seemed right. ;)

Im just so impressed that Darnold put that awful throw behind him and went on to look so poised on such a big stage on the road. I think we have a gem here.

When was the last time the Jets returned an interception and a kick/punt for a TD in the same week?

Stafford had a terrible game but I like to think some of it was because this D is for real. If this was Lee in 2018 and not a mirage, look out.

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 3

Trumaine Johnson was worth every penny - I think with Clairborne, Skrine, Adams (and hopefully) Maye this may be one of the top 3 secondaries in the league. Since the Jets have no choice but to blitz to get a pass rush, the secondary play will be very important.

The o-line was not terrible last night and the middle of the line was not bad at all - our tackles still kind of stink though. The fact that Darnold can move well is a big plus. One of his best attributes is that fact that one he does scramble he doesn't look to just take off, like most rookies would, but keeps his eyes downfield and finds the guy that breaks open.

I still think Mayfield will be a good one as well, but so happy the Browns and Giants lest this kid fall to the Jets.

• Like 3

Beyond impressed with how Darnold responded to that awful first throw. I never had the feeling with Sanchez that I have with Darnold. I hate to get ahead of myself here since I’ve been a big fan of this team since the early 80s. All of you understand I’m sure but it really feels like Darnold is the real deal here. We could have a very good franchise QB for the next 15 years. Go Jets! 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I’m not sure what to say because I’m not used to this strange feeling (I think it’s hope). Only the first play of the game seemed right. ;)

Im just so impressed that Darnold put that awful throw behind him and went on to look so poised on such a big stage on the road. I think we have a gem here.

when was the last time the Jets returned an interception and a kick/punt for a TD in the same week?

Stafford had a terrible game but I like to think some of it was because this deal is for real. If this was Lee in 2018 and not a mirage, look out.

Like I said, Twilight Zone episode. I was shocked when we actually got some punt return yards before that TD return. We're the kings of fair catches.

The o-line had issues early on, but they didn't get to play together all pre-season. Carpenter looked sketchy at first.

Darron Lee. holy hell after all the crap I've given him. It was a complete team effort. Gotta love the kick-offs from Myers although he scares me a bit with fgs.

• Like 1

man that was the most fun i had watching a Jet game in yrs.....even Bowles was smiling and joking in his presser....some thoughts

QB - Im trying to not go crazy as Browning Nagle threw for 300yds in his 1st game but there is something about this kid that screams franchise QB....leadership, able ot shake off Ints (anyone remember Sanchez freaking out every time he threw a pick as a rookie), mobility, good arm - he's the whole pkg and the Jets need to protect him at all costs. Also loved watching McCown - this guy is worth every penny they are paying him this yr.  What a huge positive to have a mentor like that on the sidelines.  Prying he is QB coach next yr.  

RB - committee as expected and both had great flashes.  Should be a solid running game 

WR - I had a good feeling on Enunwa and he looked like didnt miss a step - thats like adding another top pick to the O....Anderson showing hes not a flash in the pan...even Pryor showed something....and Kearse to the mix and this is a very respectable group.  

OL - held the fort but still scare me - Long loked solid and think his presence is bigger than I anticipated....but they MUST land a paid of stud Tackles next yr - dont care if its FA or 1st rd picks

TE - looked like a merry go round and still have a feeling the rookie from Miami becomes the guy later in the yr

DL - stout vs run and hit QB all day...Williams is just not going ot get the gaudy stats but he does all the little things to occupy...good to see Shepard contributing as I thought it would take longer for him to develop. 

LBs- If the light switched on for Lee this defense can go to the next level...he was awesome and showed why MAc took him in 1st rd.  Speed, instinct, hitting - hope he keeps it up - Williams looked solid and didnt miss Demario much

DBs - What a unit - even without MAye....Claiborne is a great #2....Johnson is a legit cover #1 and Adams is going to start making the big plays to tag him elite...very optimistic on this group

Coaches - not a fan of the guy but tip my hat to Bowles....had them ready to play,...great game plan and kept the pedal down while Petraca looked clueless......really like Bates...called a great game except that awful reverse on 3rd and 1...live and learn.Next week is key - Bowles MO is follow up a big win with a stinker....home opener vs a shaky Miami team - they better come out on fire!  

enjoying this one - for a few days its good to be a jet fan and the future is looking good.   

• Like 2
11 hours ago, LBH said:

Beyond impressed with how Darnold responded to that awful first throw. I never had the feeling with Sanchez that I have with Darnold. I hate to get ahead of myself here since I’ve been a big fan of this team since the early 80s. All of you understand I’m sure but it really feels like Darnold is the real deal here. We could have a very good franchise QB for the next 15 years. Go Jets! 

Yeah, I did not like Sanchez. He made a 12-4 team be 9-7 in 2009. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Kiddnets said:

man that was the most fun i had watching a Jet game in yrs.....even Bowles was smiling and joking in his presser....some thoughts

WR - I had a good feeling on Enunwa and he looked like didnt miss a step - thats like adding another top pick to the O....Anderson showing hes not a flash in the pan...even Pryor showed something....and Kearse to the mix and this is a very respectable group.  

LBs- If the light switched on for Lee this defense can go to the next level...he was awesome and showed why MAc took him in 1st rd.  Speed, instinct, hitting - hope he keeps it up - Williams looked solid and didnt miss Demario much

DBs - What a unit - even without MAye....Claiborne is a great #2....Johnson is a legit cover #1 and Adams is going to start making the big plays to tag him elite...very optimistic on this group

Coaches - not a fan of the guy but tip my hat to Bowles....had them ready to play,...great game plan and kept the pedal down while Petraca looked clueless......really like Bates...called a great game except that awful reverse on 3rd and 1...live and learn.Next week is key - Bowles MO is follow up a big win with a stinker....home opener vs a shaky Miami team - they better come out on fire!  

enjoying this one - for a few days its good to be a jet fan and the future is looking good.   

I quoted only the points in which I want to add comments

Last night's game reminded me of the 1997 opener. Prior to both games the Jets were considered a doormat. In each game, the Jets performance seemed to indicate, "Stuff changed."

I am not sure if I was mentioned in other Jets threads, but Enunwa became my favorite Jet in the second half of the 2015 season. I liked all the dirty work he was doing that season. I figured he would be like a 40-catch-per-year guy but he exceeded my expectations in 2016. Coming off the neck injury, I didn't know what to expect right away this season. Last night he looked as good as ever. 

With the line and secondary improved, Lee should be able to play with more ease. There is obviously some maturity that comes with having played two seasons. Avery Williamson was good last night. Frankie Luvu made some plays too. 

I knew the secondary would be good. The backups are good too. On the first interception J.J. Wilcox and Buster Skrine both blitzed. The Jets will have to do this from time to time. The Jets will probably be among the leaders in total sacks by defensive backs. 

As stated months earlier in this thread, I like Bowles. The prior sentence will go to "really like" or "love" if he takes the team to the playoffs. A week prior to the season started, I had my preseason phone chat with a friend and I identified the Bears and Jets as the surprise teams and said 9-7 is a very real possibility for both.  I have not liked the direction of this franchise this much since the 1997 season. Even during some of the good years under Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, and Rex Ryan, I didn't like the team as much as I like it now. Jamal Adams is a key player. Rarely do we see a guy love to play for the Jets like this guy. He could be the Jets version of Brian Dawkins or Ed Reed in terms of leadership and a great attitude. Getting rid of that loafer Muhammad Wilkerson was key too. 

• Like 2

Well I hate to say I called it - if you didn't see this stinker commin you aren't paying attention to the Bowles era......home opener coming off a crushing win....crowd literally insane at kickoff...and the team comes out flat...falls way behind....awful time outs taken....terrible clock management....stupid penalties falling apart when game on line at 3rd and 19....I would blame the players but this has been like groundhogs day with Bowles...it's his MO.  Zero consistency and building on big wins....for me this year is all about evaluating/developing Sam and seeing if Bowles can develop into a top coach to lead this team into the new era of AFC East....I'm trying so hard to be fair but it's the same old thing and Im tired of it.  

Sam was ok and even pretty good at times...wasnt helped by WRs stopping routes, dropping balls and not literally extend a foot to get into the endzone - but overall pleased especially as he was running for his life behind that OL.  

Edited by Kiddnets
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Kiddnets said:

Sam was ok and even pretty good at times...wasnt helped by WRs stopping routes, dropping balls and not literally extend a foot to get into the endzone - but overall pleased especially as he was running for his life behind that OL.  

Sam actually played fairly well. He just missed on a few big plays, the rookie TE had two bad drops, his o-line was a sieve and Terelle Pryor stinks as a WR.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Kiddnets said:

and not literally extend a foot to get into the endzone -

That was such a killer play as the Jets were getting the ball back to start the second half so that score would have been huge.

That game drained me after it was over but I have to say I bounced back quickly with the knowledge that we have a franchise QB and better days are ahead.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

That was such a killer play as the Jets were getting the ball back to start the second half so that score would have been huge.

That game drained me after it was over but I have to say I bounced back quickly with the knowledge that we have a franchise QB and better days are ahead.

They are not far off....the Patriots time is setting....Buffalo is a train wreck and even though they won I still am not high on the fish....the division is there for the Jets to take over....they have the pieces...they must support Sam and protect him and give him weapons....Im not a huge fan of big FA RBs but man would Bell take a lot of heat off Sam...along with a stud LT.  

But Bowles is a big problem - I just dont see him learning or improving on his mistakes....better to make that move going into this offseason unless he completely changes over the rest of the season which I have no reason to expect.  

• Like 2

Our RBs are fine; invest in the offensive line and a add a pass rusher and you'll see the immediate improvement. They have fine running backs in Powell and Crowell. They can also get out from under their salaries this year (yes, both of them) for a minimal cap hit. So they're really both playing for their jobs and have looked fine so far. It's the line that needs the most work.  

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
  • Dr. Octopus changed the title to 2021 New York Jets: Zach Wilson and Justin Fields sleeping in their 49ers pajamas until draft day