What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

Overheard on an elevator 5 minutes ago. 

Who do the Jets have this week?

Colts

Could be a W.

I hope not, rather get the draft pick 

:lmao:

Sadly, as a 49er fan, I feel the same way. 

Overheard on an elevator 5 minutes ago. 

Who do the Jets have this week?

Colts

Could be a W.

I hope not, rather get the draft pick 

:lmao:

Sadly, as a 49er fan, I feel the same way. 
Don't talk to Fariq; he'll think you're tanking. 

Love to see the Jets win this week. 3-3 would be quite the accomplishment for this unit.  

RB: Well I guess this shows once and for all there is no need for Bell especially in a mid season trade.....300 yds rushing for the Jets is ridiculous.  OL did a great job and the RBs went at them...the 1-2 punch worked very well and Crowell had a much needed good game to get the "stink" off him from the Cleveland antics
Never heard of a dumber narrative from Mehta or inside the building. Let's pray it becomes nowhere near true. We have cap space. Let's use it wisely.  

Very winnable game this week - and as far as "tanking" goes this season I don't care at all about draft position now that we have our franchise QB.

The key will be sustaining this pass rush that came out of nowhere - with no Doyle or Hilton, this offense just isn't all that scary. Hopefully Crowell can play as I can see this being another game where the Jets dominate on the ground. Darnold can throw the ball about 20-22 times for good measure but in theory this could be a nice grind it out 20-13 victory.

Nice win today. Not a perfect game by far, but lots of good signs. Nice game from Myers, but we need to convert some of those FGs into TDs.  Good game from Darnold. 

Not a bad game at all yesterday. Darnold looked poised, and I'm not sure we've seen an eighty percent completion rate in the past decade. 

They need to take off the training wheels a little bit more each week and let him spread the field a little bit more. 

Enunwa going down hurts. Pryor Sr (I still love how that's always on his uniform  :lmao: ) is next man up in the corps, I guess. Robbie, Jermaine, and Terrelle. 

It isn't Hogan, Edelman, Gordon, and Gronk, but it'll do. 

Nice win today. Not a perfect game by far, but lots of good signs. Nice game from Myers, but we need to convert some of those FGs into TDs.  Good game from Darnold. 
I had to drive my son back to college so only listed on the radio and saw highlights - but Darnold was very sharp.

Being 3-3 and in the playoff chase is very nice, but to me Darnold's progress is all that really matters in 2018 and so far so good. The guy is the youngest starting QB ever and plays with tremendous poise despite a poor o-line and less than ideal weapons.

And while Spencer Long is an improvement over Wesley Johnson - why can't he snap the ball? This is what happens when you shop for o-lineman in the bargain bin.

I had to drive my son back to college so only listed on the radio and saw highlights - but Darnold was very sharp.

Being 3-3 and in the playoff chase is very nice, but to me Darnold's progress is all that really matters in 2018 and so far so good. The guy is the youngest starting QB ever and plays with tremendous poise despite a poor o-line and less than ideal weapons.

And while Spencer Long is an improvement over Wesley Johnson - why can't he snap the ball? This is what happens when you shop for o-lineman in the bargain bin.
Yea, liking what I am seeing. The coaching staff is trusting him more, which is fantastic. Still a few too many WR screens, but it's getting better.

Very winnable game this week - and as far as "tanking" goes this season I don't care at all about draft position now that we have our franchise QB.

The key will be sustaining this pass rush that came out of nowhere - with no Doyle or Hilton, this offense just isn't all that scary. Hopefully Crowell can play as I can see this being another game where the Jets dominate on the ground. Darnold can throw the ball about 20-22 times for good measure but in theory this could be a nice grind it out 20-13 victory.
Exactly. Tanking was all about being in position to draft a QB like Darnold, albeit a hard concept for some to accept. Now that we have him, it's all about his development. We have to win games at some point. Might as well start now. 

I was at the game - crowd was revved up - even Broadway Joe got in on the praising and said this team could beat anyone...some observations

QB: wow - this is what Im talking about....poised, aggressive, leading...that drive before the half was something I havent seen from a Jet for over a decade.....1 bad interception....losing Enunwa hurt but he went right to other receivers which is great.....we are going to need to remember games like this when he puts up an inevitable rookie like game.  

RB: back down to earth - still a nice 1-2 punch...should have run it a bit more 

OL - protecting Sam well enough so far...Long has been awful in snapping but heard he may have an injury he is playing through....they need to keep it up and protect the franchise

WR - nice to have depth - Kearse is a luxury and couldnt believe all the chatter about cutting him....will miss Quincy and starting to get that injury label....at least he should be more affordable in contract extension

TE - Herndon takes another step fwd - kid can catch...would like to see them use him more.

Defense - Tried to keep in mind missing and some players n D banged up....Colts ran up huge totals but unlike in yrs past they made key plays when they needed it.  Lee has been a major improvement and Williams the best FA signing this yr.  

Coaching - another good day for the coaches - kept cuffs off Sam....aggressive play calls on both sides....hope Bowles keeps a hand in playcalling even with DC return.  

Last of 3 game home stand - to sweep would be sweet  but Minny is very tough....hopefully they take Kirk's BS and use it for motivation to show him he chose poorly....I counted the last 2 as winnable games so this is a true test vs a top opponent....would love to see them pull this out.  

Rishard Matthews and Corey Coleman are working out for the NYJ today. Looks like Pryor is hurt and Enunwa is out for likely 3-4 weeks. 

Rough game - I didnt expect to beat Min...especially with the injuries but it was the way they lost....

Offense - Sam looked the rookie part again but didnt get any help....dropped passes...awful snaps again...terrible field position....you can't do that to a rookie QB and ask him to win the game. 

What we are seeing here in my opinion is the ridiculous yr after yr of poor drafting and deferring to defensive players with premium picks for the last 10+ yrs....while the Jets have a few solid players on offense there are zero "impact" players that not only keep opposing DCs up at night but would bail a rookie like Sam out....the lack of depth is also on Mac who has done nothing in the mid to late rds where dept needs to be drafted....looking at a complete overhaul of the offense this offseason....hopefully with a new offensive minded coach

Defense:  It wasn't awful - especially with the injuries - but again with all the high picks and huge contracts on Def that should be expected...of course still bad penalties, giving up big plays and no focus (pick up the damn ball when it could even be close to being a bkwd pass!)....defense played well enough to stay in it but no huge plays to turn the game around

ST - one good run back doesnt wipe out the lousy day....awful field position...penalties and letting the ball bounce was inexcusable....bad job here

Coaching - Well I hit Mac earlier now it's Bowles turn....2 good games followed by a Bowles special stinker....team played flat....dumb penalties....way too conservative...how could he let the clock run out at the half with plenty of time left when they did it last week which turned the game around?  Makes no sense....Bowles was especially lethargic during game and post....I mean you dont want Rex's buffoonery but how does this guy inspire anyone?  he says same cliches in the same monotone voice....he would put me to sleep instead of inspiring me to play

Up next - Chicago away with their season on the line....3 gmes left before the bye..@ Chi and Miami...home vs Bills....to have any chance of playoffs need to go 2-1...to really be in it 3-0....this week is a game I dont expect to win where they should beat Miami/Buff....I can't remember the Jets winning a game away that they shouldnt win so let's see if they can regroup.  

Worst collection of skill players ever assembled, yesterday.  

I think the team needs a clean slate at GM and HC for 2019. They'll have $90MM+ in cap space, a top 15 draft slot and a franchise QB already in place - it should be a pretty attractive gig which opens up some doors to top candidates.

This team still has so many holes. And with mccagnan's bizarre desire to go with a dirt cheap offensive line, I'm not optimistic he can get us where we want to go.

In a perfect world, next year's team would find at least 3 new starting  o linemen, (maybe 4) a true wr1, true rb1, an edge rusher and probably another upgrade somewhere on the d line.  

So what happened with Kearse yesterday.  Was he doing his best Antonio Callaway impression or was Darnold just that bad?  3 catches on 9 targets?!?!

kind of like Todd Bowles as your guys' HC, is it just me? Just need better players
It's just you. I don't know a single Jets fan that likes him.

The team is still undisciplined (way too many dumb penalties) and comes out totally flat way too often. Some of that is obviously on the players but I just don't think he's the CEO type. Good coordinator who can't run the whole show. 

And his press conferences inspire zero confidence on our end. Just emotionless generic answers and no fire or solutions.

That was one of those games that inspired no excitement, nor anything really to discuss today. Ugh. Just terrible. Get a new coach and GM for next year. More importantly an offensive line. The Bears won the line of scrimmage all day.

A big whatever from me about Pryor. Something about the guy screams "off" to me.   Burnett looked pretty good for his first game. 
I don't think he's a very good WR at all. He's a physical talent but doesn't run routes well or present a good target.

Burnett did look pretty decent but I don't think he's more than a role player/possession type long term. At this point he should get some looks though.

It looks like Enunwa could be back this week, which is good for Darnold.

I don't think he's a very good WR at all. He's a physical talent but doesn't run routes well or present a good target.

Burnett did look pretty decent but I don't think he's more than a role player/possession type long term. At this point he should get some looks though.

It looks like Enunwa could be back this week, which is good for Darnold.
He seems a bit entitled, too. Maybe that's why he didn't endear himself to his prior teammates.

Enunwa helps, but it sure would be nice if the pocket wasn't pushed into Darnold's face after every snap and doesn't have to slide to throw before he gets killed. I can only imagine if we had one of the lesser mobile QBs. 

He seems a bit entitled, too. Maybe that's why he didn't endear himself to his prior teammates.

Enunwa helps, but it sure would be nice if the pocket wasn't pushed into Darnold's face after every snap and doesn't have to slide to throw before he gets killed. I can only imagine if we had one of the lesser mobile QBs. 
By now it’s a tired refrain but Mac’s lack of addressing the o-line is criminal. 

By now it’s a tired refrain but Mac’s lack of addressing the o-line is criminal. 
I just don't see him spending a high draft pick on the o-line next year. It doesn't appear that he values drafting them, so he better pony up the cash on free agents. It is criminal how he has neglected the position year after year, especially this year knowing that he has a rookie third-overall pick QB. 

We picked up an average at best to mediocre center which was actually an upgrade from last year. That's it. 

I know it's early, but looking at next year's draft, we don't have a second round pick. Right now we're picking 7th, but we have some winnable games coming up, so maybe we drop down to 10th or so.   I would guess that they will try to draft a pass rusher. Which means in the third round, they will probably try to add an offensive weapon WR or RB. 

Luckily Mac had a great 2018 draft because his prior years were pretty bad. I can't see him losing his job after getting Darnold.

Bowles is the real question. I mean, it shouldn't be a question. He hasn't grown one bit imo, but management seems reluctant to make a change

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan expects to be "very active" next spring.

Maccagnan added he thinks the Jets are in a position to "springboard this thing forward" with their expected cap space -- close to $100 million -- and draft picks. The Jets should do everything they can to take advantage of a quarterback on a rookie deal, and it looks like Maccagnan fully plans to be aggressive. Finding that quarterback some reliable weapons and a better offensive line would be a good first step.
Hopefully he spends it wisely - good o-lineman don't go on the market very often but hopefully he bolster it up. The WR market always seems to be over-priced so hopefully they don't do anything to dumb there.

Users who are viewing this thread