What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (11 Viewers)

I've been a Jets fan since age 4. That's 47 years of torture and torment. Not much goes right for this team. I could easily see this clown getting another season. I don't think I know more about running a football team than professionals, but holy hell, could no on else outside of this forum see that Bowles has been over his head for years? Did it really take the past couple of weeks?
It's the Jet way.....this is the team that not only got rid of Pete Carroll after 1 season but replaced him with Kotite.....who after the worst 2 yr stretch in football didnt fire him until he "stepped down" before the last game...they allowed Bellichick to leave to an arch rival....even to a casual fan it was obvious Bowles was not HC material....he should have gotten 1 yr after laying a complete egg in Buffalo with playoffs on the line....I posted before the season that letting him stay was a huge mistake and in essence will stunt the QB and team development...they decided to forge ahead now they must not only pay the price in Bowles but Mac too...

Mac doesnt deserve it as much as Bowles but this nonsense reporting structure is a joke and needs to stop....there is no way Mac deserves anything more than one more season to prove his worth and that doesnt synch up to a new coaching regime....it may be unfair but lets face it - ,most of the hits he had were obvious....awful in the 2d rd on....he whiffed on 90% of his FAs....completely ignored the OL and offense like every other Jet regime...he probably deserves another  yr but with $100M, top 5 pick and new coach regime it just doesnt synch up...he needs to go for the betterment of the organization to bring in a big time player to run/coach the franchise....or a great GM to pick the HC....I am not aware of many, if any other winning franchises where the GM and coach are separate reports to ownership.....an ownership with an awful record since taking over...

Jets are known for half measures...they woud go a long way today toward a new start by firing Bowles and Mac today and announcing to the league and their fans that this type of product will not be tolerated and they will not rest until landing a top GM/HC to lead the franchise.....not expecting anything other than weak "we'll evaluate after the season" crap if any comments.  

It's the Jet way.....this is the team that not only got rid of Pete Carroll after 1 season but replaced him with Kotite.....who after the worst 2 yr stretch in football didnt fire him until he "stepped down" before the last game...they allowed Bellichick to leave to an arch rival....even to a casual fan it was obvious Bowles was not HC material....he should have gotten 1 yr after laying a complete egg in Buffalo with playoffs on the line....I posted before the season that letting him stay was a huge mistake and in essence will stunt the QB and team development...they decided to forge ahead now they must not only pay the price in Bowles but Mac too...

Mac doesnt deserve it as much as Bowles but this nonsense reporting structure is a joke and needs to stop....there is no way Mac deserves anything more than one more season to prove his worth and that doesnt synch up to a new coaching regime....it may be unfair but lets face it - ,most of the hits he had were obvious....awful in the 2d rd on....he whiffed on 90% of his FAs....completely ignored the OL and offense like every other Jet regime...he probably deserves another  yr but with $100M, top 5 pick and new coach regime it just doesnt synch up...he needs to go for the betterment of the organization to bring in a big time player to run/coach the franchise....or a great GM to pick the HC....I am not aware of many, if any other winning franchises where the GM and coach are separate reports to ownership.....an ownership with an awful record since taking over...

Jets are known for half measures...they woud go a long way today toward a new start by firing Bowles and Mac today and announcing to the league and their fans that this type of product will not be tolerated and they will not rest until landing a top GM/HC to lead the franchise.....not expecting anything other than weak "we'll evaluate after the season" crap if any comments.  
The problem with firing Bowles today is that they don't even have one coach capable of being the head coach the rest of the way. Can Bates? Unlikely. Rodgers is awful and has health issues. It's just a sad state of affairs. Poor Sam. 

This reporting structure has always been dumb and as long-time Jes fans, what makes us think anything will change now? 

On another note, I love Adams as a player this year, but all this leadership talk is dumb. "Players won't quit on my watch."  I don't know. Our CBs looked like they were on holiday yesterday with not a care in the world.  Just keep balling Jamal. 

The problem with firing Bowles today is that they don't even have one coach capable of being the head coach the rest of the way. Can Bates? Unlikely. Rodgers is awful and has health issues. It's just a sad state of affairs. Poor Sam. 

This reporting structure has always been dumb and as long-time Jes fans, what makes us think anything will change now? 

On another note, I love Adams as a player this year, but all this leadership talk is dumb. "Players won't quit on my watch."  I don't know. Our CBs looked like they were on holiday yesterday with not a care in the world.  Just keep balling Jamal. 
Really how could anyone they put in charge the last 6 weeks do any worse?  Put Dennison in charge - go 0-6 and move on.....take control of the situation for once....of course its coming out that no changes will be made....no shock there.  Losers gonna lose.  

I'd make Kevin Greene the interim HC - let him fire these guys up and look like a maniac on the sideline. It will be refreshing to see a HC care at least.

I have no idea if he's qualified but how can the product get any worse?

In recent years, my 2 favorite weeks of the year are week 1 and the bye week. 

In week 1, we still have some optimism.  By the bye week, we are just looking for a reprieve from the torture.  Plus it gives me an opportunity to just focus on fantasy football as I feel obligated to watch the Jets game every week. Albeit, I watch it with less focus with each passing week and I concentrate on my other 5 screens for fantasy purposes. 

I bet Todd appreciates the bye week more than anyone. He got a nice break from everyone calling for his head. The drum beats will get louder with each game.

So a look at this list of the top skill position players that will be free agents is pretty depressing:

Le'Veon Bell

Marshawn Lynch

Mark Ingram

Golden Tate

Devin Funchess

Randall Cobb

Donte Moncrief

Tyler Eifert

Jared Cook

and a whole lot of teams with cap space means these guys are all getting overpaid. Yuck. Bell is starting to look like the only real choice we have.

However even more depressing is this:

Since 2015 the Jets rank dead last in drafted players still in the league and 22nd in drafted players still on their team.

I really think Mac needs to go as well - but it's not going to happen and we're going to be stuck in a bad situation where he does need to be fired one or two seasons after he hires a new HC.

Dr. Octopus said:
So a look at this list of the top skill position players that will be free agents is pretty depressing:

Le'Veon Bell

Marshawn Lynch

Mark Ingram

Golden Tate

Devin Funchess

Randall Cobb

Donte Moncrief

Tyler Eifert

Jared Cook

and a whole lot of teams with cap space means these guys are all getting overpaid. Yuck. Bell is starting to look like the only real choice we have.
What about the o-line? We know McCags won't draft one early, so FA is our best best.

What about the o-line? We know McCags won't draft one early, so FA is our best best.
I haven’t seen a list yet, but generally speaking too o-linemen don’t hit the open market until they get older and past their primes.

however they surely need to bring some in.

from my review of impending FAs it looks like Jets premium big targets would be Bell and a pass rusher.....OL/WR crop is not impressive...i expect them to grab 2d level OL and then draft a stud in the 1st rd....so possible scenario - 

Figure after signing some own players and possible extensions - $90M to start

Bell: $17M yr 

Pass rusher  - $23M yr - ie Lawrene, Clowney, Ford, Anash, clark - though most will likely not make it to FA - 1 or 2 will though 

so thats $40M spent - $50M left....they like to have about a $15M buffer so about $35M left to spend.....I could see them grabbing a Golden Tate for $12M then $23M to spread around on depth/spot players....

so best case in my view is Bell, Tate and Pass rusher with some better depth/talent in general.  

So question is adding stud RB, pass rusher, and solid WR with blue chip LT enough to change this course....I'd say no....but add in a better HC that can develop Sam and I would say that should get them back in the mix....this year was so bad though my hopes of a 2019 run is likely delayed a yr to 2020....

So earlier in the week Sam says his foot is fine and yet he’s ruled out again this week after the bye?

I don’t see any reason to even watch Josh McCown and the Jets get blown out by the Pats today - guess it’s not such a bad thing I have to drive the kid back to college today.

So earlier in the week Sam says his foot is fine and yet he’s ruled out again this week after the bye?

I don’t see any reason to even watch Josh McCown and the Jets get blown out by the Pats today - guess it’s not such a bad thing I have to drive the kid back to college today.
Not even to watch your Pats players rack up fantasy points?

Yeah... couldn't be less excited for this game. I see absolutely no reason to watch. Thankfully I have the Sunday ticket so I can watch some real teams play

I'm not sure who questioned the Jets calls and decisions more: me or the announcers? Bowles was horrific today. What was he thinking on that penalty that he accepted after stopping them on third down? Make it a harder fg? Clown  Not to mention his constant abuse of timeout decisions. He hasn't learned a thing all these years.

I'm not sure who questioned the Jets calls and decisions more: me or the announcers? Bowles was horrific today. What was he thinking on that penalty that he accepted after stopping them on third down? Make it a harder fg? Clown  Not to mention his constant abuse of timeout decisions. He hasn't learned a thing all these years.
Yeah, I don’t think any other coach in the league accepts that penalty. It made no sense at all. Even if you were afraid they’d go for it on 4th and 2, you’re giving them two shots anyway.

Sigh.....sitting there for a meaningless game.....watching a 39 yr old QB with no future as well as a team that I can count players on one hand that should be here next year for next yr....even scoring 1st the end was never in doubt; the coaching was putrid as usual and it was boring.  Lots of time to reflect....

QB - Horrific - Please tell me why the Jets insist on trotting old QBs out there that have no future in the NFL.... im not convinced that Sam is really hurt and not just taking a mental health break...but whatever - the season is over...there is 0.0% chance that McCown is a part of the Jet future as a player....why the heck not start Webb....if he stinks then why is he on the team?  These games should be used to look at the future and it sees the JEts just dont understand that.....they seem to think winning meaningless games with journeymen players is better than finding a diamond in the rough who may actually be a part of the future...maybe Webb sucks...oh well....maybe he looks decent and could be a cheap backup...unlike MCown there is upside here and what they are doing makes no sense.  

RB: Terrible - they were not trying to run and when they did they stunk...Ive seen enough of Crowell - time to move on and go for Bell....he may be overpaid at a non premium position but at least he has NFL gamebreaking talent.  

WR: Awful - Not one gamebreaker here - Kearse actually showed up a bit but he has no future....Anderson officially stinks...only one that should stay is Enunwa and he is more of a #2/3WR - read they are entering into negotiations with him....Im ok with that but it better be a very reasonable deal.  

TE: Herndon looks good - wish they would use him even more and down the field....he is fast and has hands....so they run him on nonstop 5 yard patterns and insist on taking him out too much for Tomlinson and Legette who both stink....come on man!

OL: average at best - didnt cost them the game but desperate need of an upgrade

DL - bad - minimal if any pass rush....gashed for big plays....time to clean house...Williams is officially average....doesnt deserve the contract he is seeking and I would give him his last yr of rookie contract to earn anything more than average DL salary. 

LB - mediocre - cant cover and gashed for the big play - Lee has made strides and Williamson is solid but prone to big plays.....sounds familar

DB - I want to know how Johnson was able to fool everyone to steal a big contract....he is awful and will be an anchor contract for the next few yrs...Mac is usually good at bail out clauses but hes stuck with this guy.....Claiborne is done....Adams is a stud and pro bowler surrounded by below avg talent....Maye cant stay healthy

ST - Roberts continued his great deal and Myers is a stud

Coaching - keeping Bowles is destroying the immediate future as well as present - more awful calls....may be the only person out there that would decide to give Brady another shot on 3rd down while the Pats kicker was trotting on the field....I was sitting in the stands calling out that moronic call and I was sure a TD followed. He is completely overmatched and is coaching for the present when there is none....this team should take the games left to see who will be here and can contribute - instead you have Bowles coaching for his job and I dont blame him...this is why they should have fired him...appt an assistant with a mandate to play every kid with a possible future...accepting this is an insult to the fans and players.....its why the franchise is mired in losing and I just dont understand how ownership cant see this when it is so obvious.....just look at Cleveland - firing the coach energized the team and they went from playing old vets who has no future to the kids....its so clear to me...what are they seeing? 

GM - I keep hearing Mac is going to stay and its not even debated...we're beyond pointing out playmakers or above avg players as maybe there us 1.....please point out players who could even start on other teams: Im down to Williamson, Adams and ST Roberts and Myers....thats 4 players on the entire team and 2 are a kicker and returner.....Lee has tailed off and Leo is looking very avg....MAc has been here for 4 seasons - hes had 3 top 10 picks and a lot of $ to sign FA and there is nothing to show for it....how is he possibly safe?  They are going to let this guy steer the biggest offseason the Jets have seen with a top 5 pick and $100M to spend when he has this track record and one more bad season away from being fired?  Id rather be a yr early than too late...wipe the slate and fire both.   

cant wait for the next 5 games!  On track with a top 5 pick with of course all stud prospects seem to be on the DL...Jets will be drooling as usual .  

Last edited by a moderator:
WR: Awful - Not one gamebreaker here - Kearse actually showed up a bit but he has no future....Anderson officially stinks...only one that should stay is Enunwa and he is more of a #2/3WR - read they are entering into negotiations with him....Im ok with that but it better be a very reasonable deal.  
I can't imagine Enunwa's market value is very high so I think he can be brought back reasonably. Kearse is a decent possession type WR but should not be the top option on any team. Agreed that it's time to part ways with Anderson, his off field issues are not worth it. He's just not that good.

Something seriously needs to be done to improve this unit. I'm just not sure what they could do. The best free agents on the market will be Golden Tate, Devin Funchess, Randall Cobb and Donte Moncrief. I like Tate, but he's not a gamebreaker and will cost way too much as the top guy available. They have no second round pick, and I'm not sure there is a guy worth a top 5 draft pick at WR in this draft - and even if there is, how do they then improve the OL?

GM - I keep hearing Mac is going to stay and its not even debated...we're beyond pointing out playmakers or above avg players as maybe there us 1.....please point out players who could even start on other teams: Im down to Williamson, Adams and ST Roberts and Myers....thats 4 players on the entire team and 2 are a kicker and returner.....Lee has tailed off and Leo is looking very avg....MAc has been here for 4 seasons - hes had 3 top 10 picks and a lot of $ to sign FA and there is nothing to show for it....how is he possibly safe?  They are going to let this guy steer the biggest offseason the Jets have seen with a top 5 pick and $100M to spend when he has this track record and one more bad season away from being fired?  Id rather be a yr early than too late...wipe the slate and fire both.   
I can't agree more on this. The only argument I've heard in his favor is "he got us Sam". What did he really do? I like that he was aggressive and traded up - but he paid a lot to move up three spots (not exactly a miracle worker) and even after doing that he was still in a position where he may have had to settle for his third option.

I like Sam, but let's face it the jury isn't exactly back in the box on him yet either - I mean it's pretty obvious they are exaggerating an injury to sit him down because he started sliding backwards.

I posted this above:

Since 2015 the Jets rank dead last in drafted players still in the league and 22nd in drafted players still on their team.
Mac's drafts have been mostly horrendous. We have a very desirable opportunity here and sweeping the house clean is really the only thing that makes sense.

I can't imagine Enunwa's market value is very high so I think he can be brought back reasonably. Kearse is a decent possession type WR but should not be the top option on any team. Agreed that it's time to part ways with Anderson, his off field issues are not worth it. He's just not that good.

Something seriously needs to be done to improve this unit. I'm just not sure what they could do. The best free agents on the market will be Golden Tate, Devin Funchess, Randall Cobb and Donte Moncrief. I like Tate, but he's not a gamebreaker and will cost way too much as the top guy available. They have no second round pick, and I'm not sure there is a guy worth a top 5 draft pick at WR in this draft - and even if there is, how do they then improve the OL? 
See where the draft shakes out, but trade back might be the best option. They have to try and get Sam a stud #1 WR (not Golden Tate). 

I'll admit that I mostly watched the Pats-Vikes game and only flipped over to the Jets game occasionally - I just couldn't justify watching Josh McCown during a 3-8 season - but that is just embarrassing. Kicking 5 FGs with only a defensive TD in this day and age is tough to grasp.

How does a guy coaching for his life (theoretically) not put his foot on an opponents throat and instead sit back and wait to lose?

They need to fire this guy right away - keep Bates (who sucks) just because they have no one else - and make Kevin Greene the HC. He'll at least bring some fire and show some life on the sidelines - axing Bowles also lets them at least reach out to a guy like McCarthy (not saying they should hire him necessarily) and gauge interest.

And STOP milking this foot injury and get Sam back out there. He needs experience at this so he's ready to go next year. 

So apparently Sam was completely healthy this week but Bowles (and possibly Mac) decided to keep him out for another week anyway.

Why does this team continue to let incompetent people make football decisions? Well we know why because an incompetent trust fund kid owns the team.

Darnold NEEDS to play. If this was done in order for Bowles to try and get wins to keep his job, then he should be fired immediately (well that should have happened anyway). Frankly I'm not sure McCown even gives them the best chance to win but even so it should not matter.

Why did I choose the Jets as a boy? My dad was a Giants fan for as much as he followed football (he was really just a baseball fan) - and it wasn't like I was being rebellious. Ughhh.

Dr. Octopus said:
I'll admit that I mostly watched the Pats-Vikes game and only flipped over to the Jets game occasionally - I just couldn't justify watching Josh McCown during a 3-8 season - but that is just embarrassing. Kicking 5 FGs with only a defensive TD in this day and age is tough to grasp.

How does a guy coaching for his life (theoretically) not put his foot on an opponents throat and instead sit back and wait to lose?

They need to fire this guy right away - keep Bates (who sucks) just because they have no one else - and make Kevin Greene the HC. He'll at least bring some fire and show some life on the sidelines - axing Bowles also lets them at least reach out to a guy like McCarthy (not saying they should hire him necessarily) and gauge interest.

And STOP milking this foot injury and get Sam back out there. He needs experience at this so he's ready to go next year. 
Exactly what I did.  

Tank mode again.,.. this is brutal...

I wont watch unless Sam plays and even then its iffy..

maybe they can fire the whole gang and reset , but I fear we are stuck with MM for another 3 year death spin

I know you guys don't really care about my opinion, but I came away very impressed with Darnold.  That first TD pass was other-worldly, and then late in the 4th he led his team down the field with some clutch passes.  I think both of our teams could us a legit rivalry as the division transitions away from New England.  Lots of promise here.

I know you guys don't really care about my opinion, but I came away very impressed with Darnold.  That first TD pass was other-worldly, and then late in the 4th he led his team down the field with some clutch passes.  I think both of our teams could us a legit rivalry as the division transitions away from New England.  Lots of promise here.
I think fans of both teams have to be happy about their QB situation. Both are far from a polished end product, but both have talent and potential, something that we haven't been able to say for a very long time. It will be interesting going into the draft not having the desperation of trying to find a QB. 

It's interesting that just about every QB drafted in the first round of the past 3 years appears to be good or has potential to be good. 

As far as rivalries go, I've never hated Buffalo although I did root against the Big Mouth Rex years for personal reasons. I really hated Miami years ago, but I think we're all really fans on the same team hating New England. 

While it does suck to fall down a few draft slots, now that we (hopefully) have a franchise QB, it's not a total disaster. Darnold leading the team to a game winning score may be more valuable in the long run than a few draft slots, that aren't set in stone yet.

While it does suck to fall down a few draft slots now that we (hopefully) have a franchise QB, it's not a total disaster. Darnold leading the team to a game winning score may be more valuable in the long run than a few draft slots. that aren't set in stone yet.
Completely agree.  At this point it's all about Darnold.  Him building confidence in himself as well as gaining more confidence from his teammates while also just simply getting reps is far more important that the difference between the 3rd and 5th pick.

Looks like Elijah McGuire just showed Bilal Powell the door out of Gotham City.
He might have showed Crowell out, too. Crowell is no fixture to the cap.  I think Crowell gets cut with only $2M on the cap this year, though I'm not positive on that.  

He might have showed Crowell out, too. Crowell is no fixture to the cap.  I think Crowell gets cut with only $2M on the cap this year, though I'm not positive on that.  
Correct. $2m cap hit and $3m savings. They might cut him if they go after Bell. There won't be any rush because the Jets have oodles of cap space.

For the poster above, Powell was gone regardless of how McGuire performs. His deal is over and he's coming off a serious injury.

Well they played hard and Sam looked good. Bowles is an idiot though. How could he not challenge that play when the Texans even called a timeout. I can't wait until we get rid of this clown. 

Recorded the game, looking forward to watching Sam’s continued development.. perfect outcome for tank mode, nice game from Sam and a loss for Bowles... we need him gone, I read a note in Newsday that said if he won this game he would be building his case to come back.. can you imagine?  He should be gone now, but we need Macc gone as well.. but Let’s at least start with the coach....  Sam at the helm and another two solid weeks should attract some good HC candidates 

Recorded the game, looking forward to watching Sam’s continued development.. perfect outcome for tank mode, nice game from Sam and a loss for Bowles... we need him gone, I read a note in Newsday that said if he won this game he would be building his case to come back.. can you imagine?  He should be gone now, but we need Macc gone as well.. but Let’s at least start with the coach....  Sam at the helm and another two solid weeks should attract some good HC candidates 
I couldn't even imagine that clown coming back. In fact, they should clean house and send McCags packing, too.

Chris Johnson has not been in a good mood lately. Beat reporters have said that he has been seen scowling at the games and that he just offers up a "no comment" when asked about the team lately. 

How bad are the Jets now? Bad enough that no one is posting in here anymore. Sam's had 2 really good games since coming back and barely a pulse from Jets fans. 

We have a ton of cap space, an emerging QB, and currently a top 3 draft pick. That should be very appealing to a new GM and coach. 

Took a mental health Jet break......I just couldnt watch McCown play...I dont know what the point was of it and I had no interest in watching.  I returned for the last 2 games and Sam has played great....he has shown the growth he was missing and I can't help but think maybe the mystery injury which gave him a mental health break was not an awful thing....just couldnt watch a washed up McCown out there....but I get that watching for a few weeks may have been the best thing in the long run.  

Some current and future thoughts

QB - Sam looks the real deal....21 and showing poise and growth that Sanchez never did even when going to the playoffs his 1st 2 yrs.....hope he finishes strong but I must admit I am very worried about his health....that OL is shaky even though they played great vs Houston and I just dont want to see the kid hurt...if he stays healthy he is going to be a great recruiting chip

OL - played much better as of late...Long seems to be a pretty decent guard and shell looked solid before getting hurt....they still need the big 2 though - LT and Center....those are just not available in FA and I think protecting the franchise QB is #1 priority...if the value is not there where they pick then trade down a few slots and take one....but has to be done - I'd take a LT in the 1st and draft best center or even package the 3rds and trade up to get a starting center in the 2d rd....get a top OL and every position will improve on O

RB - Man this is tough - Im dont with Crowell....cut him and take the cap room.....Powell is done....but I really like Maguire....I hate to spend $ at a RB  position....watching every Pitt RB run wild makes me give second thoughts on Bell....but he is a playmaker on a team that has none....and they have a ton of cash to spend....sign him up and have a great 1-2 punch with Maguire.  

WR - 2d group that needs a big upgrade - Anderson showed some flashes but just cant be counted on as he showed with the game on the line last week....problem is there are no real #1 WRs in FA....best shot is a team looking to get out of a big contract and dealing a solid one for a draft pick ala Braylon Edwards, Brandon Marshall....Tate is not worth big money and his age is a problem...

TE - I really like Herndon and think he will break the TE jinx - he has the tools - imagine him with a real offensive coach who could take advantage of his talents....Leggett is a decent backup - time to move on from Tomlinson.  

DL - remember the days of Sheldon, Mo and Leo....well only Leo remains and he has not distinguished himself worthy of a big deal....id do a mid level extension with him as he has shown enough skill where id like to see him with a real pass rusher...but dont break the bank by any means....I know it will be tempting to draft a pass rusher in the draft but there are good ones that will be available in FA where LT will not.  I dont think all the stud rushers get signed or franchised again....one or 2 will be out there and cost a ton....we know they recognize the need as they were in on Mack (bet the raiders wish they traded with the jets for a top 5 pick vs the Chicago late 1st rders) - so be prepared for a monster contract to finally get that pass rush...the rest can hold the fort

LB - Lee suspension may explain his resurgance - he has one more yr to show it wasnt a fluke....Williamson was a great signing - I think this is a position which is ok for 1 more yr  - especially if they add a pass rusher

CB - Trumaine has had a roller coaster yr but at least rebounded from looking like a bust...hopefuly new coaching can get him back....Mo is done so theyll be in the market for another CB...hope they dont go for one with the 1st pick....should be able to pick up a decent #2 CB in FA

S - Adams is a monster and a well deserved pro bowler - looking fwd to having a QB for O and Def for the next decade...Maye is officially on the clock with injury prone label....he needs to shake that next year or he could be another 2d rd bust

ST - lock up Myers and Roberts - best ST they had in yrs

Coaching - Bowles has to be gone right after the game or the next day....please dont drag it out....picking are slimmer than i was hoping...cant take a chance on a defensive coordinator....and im down on the offensive coordinators.....id like a coach with HC experience preferably with offense..I dont think either Harbaugh will be available...but will take either one...John would need a better OC/plan to develop Sam but id trust him.....Arians seems to be cleveland or bust - plus i dont think hed take his buddy Bowles' job....If Tomlin is fired somehow I'd pounce on him....i keep coming back to McCarthy....Im not thrilled with his last few yrs - he is stubborn and old school but he does check a lot of boxes....people were down on Andy Reid and I see this as maybe a similar situation where a change of scenery would be good for him....other options are just not great.  

GM - I think MAc should go.....besides Sam and Adams (both of whom were obvious selections) he has drafted poorly and made lousy signings aside from 1 or 2....he made some decent deals with the trade up for Sam, Marshall/Fitz trades, and Williamson but there were some awful ones as well - Revis, Mo, Trumaine....plus he drafted a guy in the high 2d rd who isnt in football after 2 yrs in the league....thats bad....do I trust him with $100M and a top 5 pick...no....problem is whats plan B?  I dont think the other candidates are worthy of dual roles....so unless one of the premiere coaches comes with a good GM exec then he probably stays - Id rather have Mac then a friggin search firm or other people not connected with the team making choices....but if he does this both report to the owners crap has to stop....

Should be an attractice spot for a HC/GM so lets see  how it shakes out - would hate to lose draft pick space but Im only in on tanking for a QB so if winning these 2 meaningless games helps Sam develop and costs them some slots so be it....a recipe like last week would be good...play great and lose at least minute - unless they can knock the Pats out...that would be sweet!  

Took a mental health Jet break......I just couldnt watch McCown play...I dont know what the point was of it and I had no interest in watching.  I returned for the last 2 games and Sam has played great....he has shown the growth he was missing and I can't help but think maybe the mystery injury which gave him a mental health break was not an awful thing....just couldnt watch a washed up McCown out there....but I get that watching for a few weeks may have been the best thing in the long run.  

I think it was a good break for Sam, too.

Some current and future thoughts

QB - Sam looks the real deal....21 and showing poise and growth that Sanchez never did even when going to the playoffs his 1st 2 yrs.....hope he finishes strong but I must admit I am very worried about his health....that OL is shaky even though they played great vs Houston and I just dont want to see the kid hurt...if he stays healthy he is going to be a great recruiting chip

I love Sam. Wait until he gets a better o-line, weapons, and some experience.  I think he will end up a top 10 QB for a long time.

OL - played much better as of late...Long seems to be a pretty decent guard and shell looked solid before getting hurt....they still need the big 2 though - LT and Center....those are just not available in FA and I think protecting the franchise QB is #1 priority...if the value is not there where they pick then trade down a few slots and take one....but has to be done - I'd take a LT in the 1st and draft best center or even package the 3rds and trade up to get a starting center in the 2d rd....get a top OL and every position will improve on O

Fully agree, but I have no confidence in Mac to upgrade this unit. Somehow they grade out ok passing-wise (according to PFF), but it looks like Darnold has to get out of the pocket every time in order to have some time to pass.  Our tackles and C are a problem.

RB - Man this is tough - Im dont with Crowell....cut him and take the cap room.....Powell is done....but I really like Maguire....I hate to spend $ at a RB  position....watching every Pitt RB run wild makes me give second thoughts on Bell....but he is a playmaker on a team that has none....and they have a ton of cash to spend....sign him up and have a great 1-2 punch with Maguire.  

I thought Crowell looked ok, but he wasn't anything for defenses to worry about. McGuire is ok all-around back, but nothing special to me. I wasn't in favor of signing Bell at first, but it's growing on me. 

WR - 2d group that needs a big upgrade - Anderson showed some flashes but just cant be counted on as he showed with the game on the line last week....problem is there are no real #1 WRs in FA....best shot is a team looking to get out of a big contract and dealing a solid one for a draft pick ala Braylon Edwards, Brandon Marshall....Tate is not worth big money and his age is a problem...

That was a pretty tough catch to make. I don't blame Anderson for not being Hopkins. Anderson is a good second receiver IF he can stay out of trouble which is no given. Enunwa can't stay healthy, but he's a very good slot receiver. We are missing a true WR1. 

TE - I really like Herndon and think he will break the TE jinx - he has the tools - imagine him with a real offensive coach who could take advantage of his talents....Leggett is a decent backup - time to move on from Tomlinson.  

Agreed, I love Herndon.  I'm not sold on Leggett. He seems limited.

DL - remember the days of Sheldon, Mo and Leo....well only Leo remains and he has not distinguished himself worthy of a big deal....id do a mid level extension with him as he has shown enough skill where id like to see him with a real pass rusher...but dont break the bank by any means....I know it will be tempting to draft a pass rusher in the draft but there are good ones that will be available in FA where LT will not.  I dont think all the stud rushers get signed or franchised again....one or 2 will be out there and cost a ton....we know they recognize the need as they were in on Mack (bet the raiders wish they traded with the jets for a top 5 pick vs the Chicago late 1st rders) - so be prepared for a monster contract to finally get that pass rush...the rest can hold the fort

Signing Leo is going to be a problem. He has been underwhelming for the kind of money that he will want. What will we do?  Anderson was a great addition.  We'll have to add a pass rusher somewhere I guess as an OLB.

LB - Lee suspension may explain his resurgance - he has one more yr to show it wasnt a fluke....Williamson was a great signing - I think this is a position which is ok for 1 more yr  - especially if they add a pass rusher

Williamson has been pretty good. Lee needs PEDs for his brain. I don't think he has good instincts. He guesses a lot out there and makes great plays when he guesses correctly and looks lost otherwise.  The OLBs have had their moments as situational players, but are a liability full-time. 

CB - Trumaine has had a roller coaster yr but at least rebounded from looking like a bust...hopefuly new coaching can get him back....Mo is done so theyll be in the market for another CB...hope they dont go for one with the 1st pick....should be able to pick up a decent #2 CB in FA

Trumaine had a reputation for being a flawed shutdown CB. I think he has lived up to his reputation: great at times, not at other times. I think Mo will move on. 

S - Adams is a monster and a well deserved pro bowler - looking fwd to having a QB for O and Def for the next decade...Maye is officially on the clock with injury prone label....he needs to shake that next year or he could be another 2d rd bust

Adams was inconsistent in his rookie season, but has been a beast. Maye plays well when he plays.  Hopefully he's healthier next season.

ST - lock up Myers and Roberts - best ST they had in yrs

These guys should be locked up sooner than later.

Coaching - Bowles has to be gone right after the game or the next day....please dont drag it out....picking are slimmer than i was hoping...cant take a chance on a defensive coordinator....and im down on the offensive coordinators.....id like a coach with HC experience preferably with offense..I dont think either Harbaugh will be available...but will take either one...John would need a better OC/plan to develop Sam but id trust him.....Arians seems to be cleveland or bust - plus i dont think hed take his buddy Bowles' job....If Tomlin is fired somehow I'd pounce on him....i keep coming back to McCarthy....Im not thrilled with his last few yrs - he is stubborn and old school but he does check a lot of boxes....people were down on Andy Reid and I see this as maybe a similar situation where a change of scenery would be good for him....other options are just not great.  

GM - I think MAc should go.....besides Sam and Adams (both of whom were obvious selections) he has drafted poorly and made lousy signings aside from 1 or 2....he made some decent deals with the trade up for Sam, Marshall/Fitz trades, and Williamson but there were some awful ones as well - Revis, Mo, Trumaine....plus he drafted a guy in the high 2d rd who isnt in football after 2 yrs in the league....thats bad....do I trust him with $100M and a top 5 pick...no....problem is whats plan B?  I dont think the other candidates are worthy of dual roles....so unless one of the premiere coaches comes with a good GM exec then he probably stays - Id rather have Mac then a friggin search firm or other people not connected with the team making choices....but if he does this both report to the owners crap has to stop....

Should be an attractice spot for a HC/GM so lets see  how it shakes out - would hate to lose draft pick space but Im only in on tanking for a QB so if winning these 2 meaningless games helps Sam develop and costs them some slots so be it....a recipe like last week would be good...play great and lose at least minute - unless they can knock the Pats out...that would be sweet!  

Dumb and Dumber must go. Hopefully we get an offensive coach with some experience. Easier said than done. 

While it does suck to fall down a few draft slots, now that we (hopefully) have a franchise QB, it's not a total disaster. Darnold leading the team to a game winning score may be more valuable in the long run than a few draft slots, that aren't set in stone yet.
It is monumental that the Jets lose their next two games. You want to be picking 114th overall instead of 116th. There are only 114 worthy players in the upcoming draft.

Well they played hard and Sam looked good. Bowles is an idiot though. How could he not challenge that play when the Texans even called a timeout. I can't wait until we get rid of this clown. 
Bowles was not watching on TV. Very rarely do I get on the head coaches for challenging/not challenging. Whoever the Jets have in the booth looking at that play was the true dolt. I wrote the prior sentences as somebody who is generally tired of defending Bowles.  

Users who are viewing this thread