What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (4 Viewers)

Well here we go.....as narrative moves closer to Cousins to Min this is what we are looking at.....I can live with Teddy and McCown but they need a QB in the 1st as well....gives them a mentor they obviously want and 2 young upside QBs....clean out Hack/Petty....Please no McCown and a 1st rder - way too dangerous...they have the $ to do this right.  

Per SNY's Ralph Vacchiano, the Jets' "Plan B" if they fail to sign free agent Kirk Cousins would be to pair Teddy Bridgewater with Josh McCown.

Cousins is still 'Plan A' for the Jets. If "their fears are realized" and Cousins signs with the Vikings, the next plan would be signing Bridgewater, who is still just 25, and bringing back 38-year-old McCown to mentor him. 'Plan C' would be pairing McCown with whoever they take sixth-overall in the draft. Bridgewater has also been linked to "a handful" of other teams eyeing him as a potential starter.

Well here we go.....as narrative moves closer to Cousins to Min this is what we are looking at.....I can live with Teddy and McCown but they need a QB in the 1st as well....gives them a mentor they obviously want and 2 young upside QBs....clean out Hack/Petty....Please no McCown and a 1st rder - way too dangerous...they have the $ to do this right.  

Per SNY's Ralph Vacchiano, the Jets' "Plan B" if they fail to sign free agent Kirk Cousins would be to pair Teddy Bridgewater with Josh McCown.

Cousins is still 'Plan A' for the Jets. If "their fears are realized" and Cousins signs with the Vikings, the next plan would be signing Bridgewater, who is still just 25, and bringing back 38-year-old McCown to mentor him. 'Plan C' would be pairing McCown with whoever they take sixth-overall in the draft. Bridgewater has also been linked to "a handful" of other teams eyeing him as a potential starter.
Why would Bridgewater need McCown to mentor him? He's been in the league for four years. But I guess having McCown as a backup/mentor isn't he worst thing in the world.

If they sign Bridgewater, I don't need them to take a QB at 6, and would be fine on them waiting until the mid rounds and hoping to find a gem. I realize that I may be putting too much faith in Teddy, but I'm a believer and I would be ok with using pick 6 on Barkley, Chubb, Nelson or another impact player.

Why would Bridgewater need McCown to mentor him? He's been in the league for four years. But I guess having McCown as a backup/mentor isn't he worst thing in the world.

If they sign Bridgewater, I don't need them to take a QB at 6, and would be fine on them waiting until the mid rounds and hoping to find a gem. I realize that I may be putting too much faith in Teddy, but I'm a believer and I would be ok with using pick 6 on Barkley, Chubb, Nelson or another impact player.
that seems to be what Vaccaro is stating as well....Im not so sure I have that much belief in Teddy to not draft a 1st rd QB....it would keep me from trading up and see who falls to them....if one of the big 3 I still take a QB...

What does Vacciano know? Nothing.  I hate when writers speculate something and they are quoted as insiders with knowledge of management's thoughts. It drives me nuts when I see Cimini say something like "I think the Jets will go after player x".   Then next thing you know, Rotoworld and Profootballtalk run with it like "Jets will go after player x".  Much ado about nothing.

Unless Schefter says something, it's usually worthless speculation.

What does Vacciano know? Nothing.  I hate when writers speculate something and they are quoted as insiders with knowledge of management's thoughts. It drives me nuts when I see Cimini say something like "I think the Jets will go after player x".   Then next thing you know, Rotoworld and Profootballtalk run with it like "Jets will go after player x".  Much ado about nothing.

Unless Schefter says something, it's usually worthless speculation.
Fair - the one thing about this regime is it is pretty good re leaks....if this was Rex era there would be specific quotes from the office and coaching staff lol

That's true, no leaks. Partly due to the fact that Bowles never says anything of substance. Lol  McCagnan never leaks anything.

It's funny that today Profootballtalk is claiming that Cousins has not eliminated any teams. It's source? Manish. Again, taking what a beat reporter speculates and running as fact. Now others are picking up what Profootballtalk is claiming.  Par for the course in clickbait times.

We just need next week to come already.

So it looks like A-Rob and Watkins will be available.....based on uncertainty at WR - Enuwa health; Robby Anderson suspension/behavioral; Kearse - solid rotational guy but no star - I would love to see the Jets get one of them....I'd prefer A-Rob but would settle for Watkins....whats the going rate for a top tier but not top 10 WR? Looking at Alshon Jeffrey - he signed for $13M....they have the $ - get a franchise WR to pair with the new QB.    

So it looks like A-Rob and Watkins will be available.....based on uncertainty at WR - Enuwa health; Robby Anderson suspension/behavioral; Kearse - solid rotational guy but no star - I would love to see the Jets get one of them....I'd prefer A-Rob but would settle for Watkins....whats the going rate for a top tier but not top 10 WR? Looking at Alshon Jeffrey - he signed for $13M....they have the $ - get a franchise WR to pair with the new QB.    
I'm lukewarm on spending big on Wrs. On a positive note, it adds another weapon to sway Cousins.

The NY Post had a story today about Anderson tweeting angrily at Chris Carter. On one hand, I love his talent, but the guy is a dope that hasn't learned a thing. I would really hate to invest money in this guy.

Wow. This has been the disaster we all predicted. McCagnan won't look like the cat that ate the canary in the sixth position this time. They're gonna need to move up.  

I have to ask, what's wrong with getting Sam Bradford? He's a good QB and doesn't prevent one from being taken at #6, while potentially allowing said QB to learn the ropes. 

I have to ask, what's wrong with getting Sam Bradford? He's a good QB and doesn't prevent one from being taken at #6, while potentially allowing said QB to learn the ropes. 
He cant be counted on to play 8 consecutive games let alone a season.....not interested.  

He's not very good (never made the playoffs as a starter) and is made of glass and my fear is that the team would think they are set at QB if they signed him and not draft a QB at 6. That would be a Jet-like move.

No more journeymen!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If we lose out on Cousins, I can get behind a Teddy and a best QB at 6 scenario...  really want to see them make a push for a WR like A -Rob and to a lesser degree Watkins, Robbie just appears to be unhinged, Enunwa is coming back from a major injury and Kearse is just a guy.  

Sign the WR, Sign a top 3 FA  Center, Sign a top 3 CB, Draft a RB in the top 50, and then draft O-line like crazy 

I'm not a big Teddy fan, but I would take him over McCown. Sure, he's a great guy and did well enough last year, but he's 38. We have no future with him. Hire him as a coach if they must, but please don't waste any more time with him starting. There is no future with McCown. At least a younger QB like Teddy could have a future.

At this point I'm assuming that Cousins signs with Minnesota, so here is a realistic wish list for free agency (obviously they can not get everyone out there):

QB Teddy Bridgewater

OG/C Weston Richburg

G Josh Sitton

RB Jerrick McKinnon (big play potential at a reasonable price)

CB Malcom Butler or Tumaine Johnson

CB/S Morgan Burnett

TE Trey Burton (ASJ is playing hardball and I may rather have Burton anyway)

Sure, Allen Robinson or Sammy Watkins would be nice but I'm not sure they should pay the steep price those guys should get, so I could see going after some smaller ticket guys like Paul Richardson or Marquise Lee - I think those guys have some upside and assuming Enunwa comes back healthy they would compliment him and Kearse well, I'm not sure if they can count on Robby Anderson but if he puts legal troubles in his rear-view mirror he's a talent as well.

They would still need to address OT in the draft, but would have major flexibility otherwise to take BPA.

NYRAGE said:
I'm not a big Teddy fan, but I would take him over McCown. Sure, he's a great guy and did well enough last year, but he's 38. We have no future with him. Hire him as a coach if they must, but please don't waste any more time with him starting. There is no future with McCown. At least a younger QB like Teddy could have a future.
He can sign as a backup to either Bridgewater and/or a rookie they take at 6 (or higher if they move up) but I agree that either way I do not want him starting barring injuries. Frankly I'd rather see Christian Hackenberg starting on opening day than Josh McCown.

At this point I'm assuming that Cousins signs with Minnesota, so here is a realistic wish list for free agency (obviously they can not get everyone out there):

QB Teddy Bridgewater

OG/C Weston Richburg

G Josh Sitton

RB Jerrick McKinnon (big play potential at a reasonable price)

CB Malcom Butler or Tumaine Johnson

CB/S Morgan Burnett

TE Trey Burton (ASJ is playing hardball and I may rather have Burton anyway)

Sure, Allen Robinson or Sammy Watkins would be nice but I'm not sure they should pay the steep price those guys should get, so I could see going after some smaller ticket guys like Paul Richardson or Marquise Lee - I think those guys have some upside and assuming Enunwa comes back healthy they would compliment him and Kearse well, I'm not sure if they can count on Robby Anderson but if he puts legal troubles in his rear-view mirror he's a talent as well.

They would still need to address OT in the draft, but would have major flexibility otherwise to take BPA.
Good list - few thoughts

Teddy - On same page - I know youre higher than most but I would still want a 1st rd QB with him but not disaster if they miss out - think it will be just under Glennon $ for him - say $12M.  

Richburg - gonna cost a lot and injuries/lack of Giant interest scares me....maybe they know something...still a huge upgrade so id be happy - $10M est

Sitton - 31 is a little old for the Jet rebuild....Id be nervous could start declining - would be another huge upgrade though - $12M est

McKinnon - like him but would rather put the $ twd WR - gives Powell/McGuire and a 3rd rd rook a shot....

love A-Rob - rare true #1 WR thats young and available for just $...helps any QB on board - $14M A Rob est

CB - agreed - need one of the top guys to hopefuly pair with resigned Mo but if hes looking for big payout move on = $14M FA/$7M Mo - $21M total est

Burton - good back up plan for ASJ - he's asking way too much - $6M est

Add all of these estimates up and they are at:  $75M - that leaves a few $ left to fill some low level holes with room to spare....draft a QB1, LT in 2d and Pass rusher with other 2d....RB in 3rd.  

Let's get this started!  

After sitting through 40+ years of pain with this Godforsaken team, I believe that the Jets will never develop a franchise QB.  History asie, playing in NY, a franchise with a losing mentality (a large # of Jets fans identify with losing and have come to expect and identify with it), media dissection of every move, shortsighted ownership, inability to commit to a plan, bad luck all go into it.  I admit that I'm a defeatist and see a veteran QB as our only choice.  For that reason, I am very pro-Cousins and view him as a guy who can immediately come in and make this team a playoff contender. 

After Cousins, there is a HUGE drop off in the FA market.  If he goes to the Vikings, I'd rather draft a QB than sign Bridgewater, Glennon or Bradford and sit through another 2-4 years of mistake-prone QB play in hopes that we hit the lottery.  At least we won't be paying the kid anything and can spend the $ elsewhere.   I'd rather keep McCown for another year as starter or backup behind the rookie.  Yeah, I know I contradicted myself, but right now, this team just makes me feel like meh, whatever, let it ride.     

McShay has the Jets taking Allen in his latest mock draft.  He also has Mayfield and Rosen drafted after 1.06.  Darnold going 1st overall.

I would be pretty happy if this played out to get a chance to pick one of the three.  I am intrigued by Allen's size, arm strength and hand size although would probably prefer Rosen if we have the choice of the 3.

He can sign as a backup to either Bridgewater and/or a rookie they take at 6 (or higher if they move up) but I agree that either way I do not want him starting barring injuries. Frankly I'd rather see Christian Hackenberg starting on opening day than Josh McCown.
If the Jets were to sign Bridgewater, which will cost probably $10m or more, then no way would I pay up another $6m or so (maybe more after last season) for a second vet QB imo.  

I guess they can sign him as the vet QB if no other vet is signed. That said, I rather go for someone younger.

with the flurry of Browns moves today the Jets now have the most cap space in the NFL by at least $14M or more

Also getting very nervous on Buffalo - no QB and a ton of picks...worried they could leapfrog the Jets for a QB.  

If the Jets were to sign Bridgewater, which will cost probably $10m or more, then no way would I pay up another $6m or so (maybe more after last season) for a second vet QB imo.  

I guess they can sign him as the vet QB if no other vet is signed. That said, I rather go for someone younger.
Since the Vikings let him walk with no resistance I have doubts if Bridgewater will recover. He could be cheap.

Since the Vikings let him walk with no resistance I have doubts if Bridgewater will recover. He could be cheap.
There could be some truth to that but my guess is that they are more interested in looking like an organization that will do right by its players in order to be attractive to free agents - most importantly Cousins, who would make Bridgewater expendible anyway.

Bridgewater was healthy at the end of last season and would have played if Keenum wasn't so on fire.  IMO the Jets should keep McCown, who is well known for being a good mentor (could be a very good coach one day) and sign Bridgewater.  That would give them coverage if Bridgewater has lost a step and a great mentor and backup QB if Bridgewater is still starter quality.  Plus, it wouldn't cost them a draft pick so they can still do whatever they want with their picks.  They have a lot of holes to fill and this would give them the flexibility to fill non-QB holes in the draft and give Bridgewater a year to establish himself.  If it doesn't work they can still play McCown and draft a QB next year, although I think (or maybe hope is the better word) that Bridgewater will prove to be a solid starter.  He's not a "special" player, but you can win with him if you surround him with a solid team.  IMO Eli also isn't a special player either, and the Giants won 2 Super Bowls with him.

less than 24 hrs....trying to be patient but news so far is shaky....

in on Dion Lewis - who they really dont need in my opinion

ASJ - Falcons and Seattle very interested - not going to help that price point

A-Rob - no interest reported as of yet

Cousins likely not going to decide until Wed - they have enough $ to not be held hostage by him....but if it gets tight I wouldn't let him string them along...give him a monster offer and a deadline.  

Bridgewater was healthy at the end of last season and would have played if Keenum wasn't so on fire.  IMO the Jets should keep McCown, who is well known for being a good mentor (could be a very good coach one day) and sign Bridgewater.  That would give them coverage if Bridgewater has lost a step and a great mentor and backup QB if Bridgewater is still starter quality.  Plus, it wouldn't cost them a draft pick so they can still do whatever they want with their picks.  They have a lot of holes to fill and this would give them the flexibility to fill non-QB holes in the draft and give Bridgewater a year to establish himself.  If it doesn't work they can still play McCown and draft a QB next year, although I think (or maybe hope is the better word) that Bridgewater will prove to be a solid starter.  He's not a "special" player, but you can win with him if you surround him with a solid team.  IMO Eli also isn't a special player either, and the Giants won 2 Super Bowls with him.
Unfortunately Bridgewater played late in one game to ruin my Vikings shutout (against Cincy I think) with a pick 6.

less than 24 hrs....trying to be patient but news so far is shaky....

in on Dion Lewis - who they really dont need in my opinion

ASJ - Falcons and Seattle very interested - not going to help that price point

A-Rob - no interest reported as of yet

Cousins likely not going to decide until Wed - they have enough $ to not be held hostage by him....but if it gets tight I wouldn't let him string them along...give him a monster offer and a deadline.  
I don't think we're going to know much for a couple of days. I'm sure Cousins prefers the Vikings, but will they pay him? Need to see it to believe it. Until then, I have hope.

This regime doesn't leak much, so we're only going to hear interest from the agents.

Lewis is a nice player, but I would prefer to spend elsewhere. We definitely need 2 CBs and an improved o-line from free agency.

I'm torn on A-Rob. Very good player, but he will be pricey. We barely have any talent on this team. I woudn't oppose it.

ASJ can get out of here with his alleged $8m price tag.

I think one of Rosen, Mayfield or Allen fall to the 1.06 so I will not panic if the team comes out of free agency with Josh McCown. I'm not saying I'll be happy but it just signals the Jets are focusing on the draft for their QB. Every year the mocks throw the QBs higher than they wind up going. I think it's likely that only 2 will be off the board by the time the Jets pick - especially if the Broncos get a guy they like in free agency.

I don't like Allen - but I'm not a scout and if that's who they get, I'll just hope I'm wrong and he becomes a winning QB.

I'm still holding out some hope for Cousins, but I'd be pleased with Bridgewater.

I think one of Rosen, Mayfield or Allen fall to the 1.06 so I will not panic if the team comes out of free agency with Josh McCown. I'm not saying I'll be happy but it just signals the Jets are focusing on the draft for their QB. Every year the mocks throw the QBs higher than they wind up going. I think it's likely that only 2 will be off the board by the time the Jets pick - especially if the Broncos get a guy they like in free agency.

I don't like Allen - but I'm not a scout and if that's who they get, I'll just hope I'm wrong and he becomes a winning QB.

I'm still holding out some hope for Cousins, but I'd be pleased with Bridgewater.
So it begins....

It's at the point now where I'd be shocked if Cousins doesnt go to Minny.  Reports are 2 teams has offered him fully guaranteed 3 yr deal...confident Jets are one of them but just dont think it will be enough to beat the sweet team offered in Minn....just hoping Bates and more $ will be enough - but in my mind I've moved onto plan B.

I personally would not be happy with a McCown reunion...been there/done that - it's time to move on and they need a young QB with upside even if they decide to go QB in 1st rd.  I dont think Rosen will be there and more Im reading about his political leanings I'm not sure if the Johnson's would even draft him as stupid as that is....Im just not a big fan of trading up for Mayfield....and Allen scares the crap out of me as a Hack like big arm but raw clone....if they couldnt develop Hack how could they develop allen....the only way to hedge bets is to get a Bridgewater and pair him with the rookie...offeres protection and possibly 2 franchise QBs....McCown return means all in on a rookie that is not a sure thing....I prefer to cover the position with youth once and for all...if Cousins passes there will be lots of $.  

Really hoping they are in on A-Rob, Trumaine and OL....wait on RBs until mid rd of the draft.  

So it begins....

It's at the point now where I'd be shocked if Cousins doesnt go to Minny.  Reports are 2 teams has offered him fully guaranteed 3 yr deal...confident Jets are one of them but just dont think it will be enough to beat the sweet team offered in Minn....just hoping Bates and more $ will be enough - but in my mind I've moved onto plan B.

I personally would not be happy with a McCown reunion...been there/done that - it's time to move on and they need a young QB with upside even if they decide to go QB in 1st rd.  I dont think Rosen will be there and more Im reading about his political leanings I'm not sure if the Johnson's would even draft him as stupid as that is....Im just not a big fan of trading up for Mayfield....and Allen scares the crap out of me as a Hack like big arm but raw clone....if they couldnt develop Hack how could they develop allen....the only way to hedge bets is to get a Bridgewater and pair him with the rookie...offeres protection and possibly 2 franchise QBs....McCown return means all in on a rookie that is not a sure thing....I prefer to cover the position with youth once and for all...if Cousins passes there will be lots of $.  

Really hoping they are in on A-Rob, Trumaine and OL....wait on RBs until mid rd of the draft.  
I keep reading they are interested in Dion Lewis and my question is why? Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good back - but the $5MM a year he's asking for can be better spent. He's already 27/28. I'm not going to lose sleep if they sign him, but I just don't see the fit. Powell and a rookie is fine. I'm ok with a bargain basement type free agent as well.

I keep reading they are interested in Dion Lewis and my question is why? Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good back - but the $5MM a year he's asking for can be better spent. He's already 27/28. I'm not going to lose sleep if they sign him, but I just don't see the fit. Powell and a rookie is fine. I'm ok with a bargain basement type free agent as well.
Totally agree.....Lewis is just a little bit better Powell....complete waste of $ on a position that could hold the fort for a yr by adding a mid rd pick.....put it into a franchise WR to pair with the new QB

Oh and if Woody passes on Rosen purely because the guy badmouths Trump then he's an idiot - of course we already know that he is though.
You know Manish is already licking his chops hoping for the Jets to draft Rosen.

Looks like ASJ hit free agency. $4m/year would have been more than fair. So much for him being grateful for the Jets giving him a chance. Anyway, I guess it's a business.

You know Manish is already licking his chops hoping for the Jets to draft Rosen.

Looks like ASJ hit free agency. $4m/year would have been more than fair. So much for him being grateful for the Jets giving him a chance. Anyway, I guess it's a business.
Just saw the ASJ news - guy was underwhelming aside from all the hype....I can live with him walking if $4M yr is not enough....hope they land Burton.  

Kirk Cousins just posted a farewell blog to Redskin fans, besides Washington the only 2 NFL teams he tagged were the Jets and the Vikings. :unsure:

If they not only sign another journeyman QB, but pay him $20MM+ - that may be it for me.
Doubt it, you're sadistic by nature. #Jetsfanforlife.

Tom Pelissero said it is believed that the baseline for KC is $27m, but the final number will likely be higher.  Low $20s m for Keenum isn't exactly a great deal for Minn either.

Casserly says that money tends to talk. I just can't wait for this to be over. The one good thing is that with so much money, at least we're not held hostage with KC on other free agents.

Sitting on $90M and Im growing more and more frustrated by the minute

Interest in Keenum and D Lewis - losing ASJ/Davis - no interest in top WRs and TEs.....give Cousins a mega offer and a deadline....they cant afford to stand pat and wait only to be used as leverage for Miny

As for Keenum - I could live with it on 2 conditions - #1 has to be a reasonable deal - say $12M tops  - no way at $20M....short term deal where they would draft a QB in 1st rd...I'd much rather have Teddy but Keenum is younger and better than Fitz/McCown so no averse to signing him if the price is right and they still hedge bets with a top QB in draft. If they give Keenum huge $ and act like he is the new franchise QB Id be pissed.  

You guys need to relax. Kimberly Jones said that the Jets could be interested in Keenum if the Jets miss out on Cousins. Lol, it's not like McCagnan told her that. Next thing you know, it's being reported that we have interest in Keenum.

It's like i often complain about our this modern day reporting age.  Everyone always want to speculate something so that later they can be credited for it. Meanwhile, everyone forgets about the other 99% speculation that went wrong.  The Jets don't leak out info unless they intentionally do it for a reason. Somehow I doubt our clowns would even do it to drive negotiation.

Users who are viewing this thread