What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (12 Viewers)

Darnold looks like he's lost all confidence and doesn't want to be out there anymore. Maybe we should take him out and put whoever out backup is.

Sam is typically very poised and self assured out there. Since that first pick, he's lost it all...had no feel and I just hope and pray this is a one off deal and he'll be fine vs Jax next week.

We'll see but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm very concerned at how he comes out next week.

So this is an acceptable level of play you expect even against a stout D, eh?
Acceptable is subjective. As to what I would have expected from a 2nd year QB playing his 2nd game of the year, knowing he was a middle of the pack, up and down QB even as a rookie, with a bottom tier head coach and limited offensive weapons? Yes I would expect this. Acceptable? Idk. Obviously, you would have hoped for more.

Acceptable is subjective. As to what I would have expected from a 2nd year QB playing his 2nd game of the year, knowing he was a middle of the pack, up and down QB even as a rookie, with a bottom tier head coach and limited offensive weapons? Yes I would expect this. Acceptable? Idk. Obviously, you would have hoped for more.
That's a boatload of qualifiers you just threw out there, and a far cry from where you started in deflecting blame on the Pats as the root cause.

As for me, I would have hoped for poise in the face of adversity. Of looking competitive in execution if not in keeping it competitive in score. Of looking and performing like a confident leader.

This was not any of those.

32 passes and 86 yards and you aren't sure if he played bad? Wow, people will argue anything here.

I’m not arguing he played bad. I’m arguing if we should have expected this kind of performance against the Patriots given all the circumstances.
I was having trouble sleeping (I'm not kidding) thinking about how poorly this could go. It did. It's a major step back that won't really be gotten away from until Sam has a mediocre game against the Patriots. 

I don't think tonight could have been any worse (barring injury) for the player or the franchise.

Buttfumble was comical and nailed the coffin on something we already knew was dead. This was something else entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit:

This was fake. I'm an idiot and wasnt thinking straight at 7 am. Let's move on...

So apparently Sam was basically hysterically whimpering "I suck so bad" over and over again at his locker for all to see during the post game.  So yeah, that's great.

I'm actually legitimately worried that this, combined with the "I see ghosts" comment could actually ruin him. You know the media isn't gonna let it go.
That's really not good. At all.

That's broken. 

So apparently Sam was basically hysterically whimpering "I suck so bad" over and over again at his locker for all to see during the post game.  So yeah, that's great.

I'm actually legitimately worried that this, combined with the "I see ghosts" comment could actually ruin him. You know the media isn't gonna let it go.
Is that for real?  That's ####ed up.  

You know what? I'll say it. They weren't as bad as they looked last night, which was a new emotional low for Jets fans, but still...something about it all feels surreal, like you can turn the page and move on from it.

At least I hope, and I'm no optimist when it comes to the club or its current QB, really. I just don't think they're that bad. That said, other teams are going to absolutely stack the box until Darnold shows core competency out there. No freebies for Le'Veon, that's for sure.

I looked for sources and couldn't find any. I didn't really want to correct you, though, as you're more privy to New York media than I. 
Our good buddy Raider Nation retweeted something from someone I assumed was a jets beat writer.

The guy's name is Barry Mccockiner.

Clearly I'm not a morning person....

I think the most disappointing part of last night’s game for Darnold was that he just shriveled up. BB confusing a young QB and making his head spin isn’t something new, but you’d like to see the QB not lose confidence and look defeated. 

What I liked about Allen’s game against the Patriots is he had a lot of the same results early on, but he hung in there and had some success in the 2nd half. In the 2nd half before getting injured, he was 8/11 for 93 yards, 1 sack, 1 INT and 1 rushing TD. Nothing amazing and the INT was terrible, but he was still playing with a lot of confidence and trying to rally his teammates and make plays (granted, trying to make Superman plays is what get him into trouble as well), but there is never any question that he is balling out, rallying his teammates, and that his teammates rally around him and play hard because of him.

Hopefully for Darnold last night was a one off and he can do those things as well. It’s one thing to play cool and confident when things are going well, it’s another to play confident and rally the troops when things aren’t going well.

I’m arguing if we should have expected this kind of performance against the Patriots given all the circumstances.
Not trying to jump all over you, SP, I've enjoyed your posts and insight over the years.

I just can't see why you're obstinately sticking to this argument.

I just really have a hard time with the argument that even against the Patriots, we should have expected Sam Darnold to:

• Throw for only 86 yards
  • Have 4 picks and a turnover
  • Rack up negative fantasy points on the way to the 9th worst fantasy performance by a QB all time
  • Be so shattered that he claims to see ghosts
  • Make people debate whether this or the Buttfumble was the worst Jets QB outing of recent times
I get that we weren't expecting a decent performance, and for the potential for Darnold and the Jets offense to be overwhelmed.

I just can't buy in that we should have expected this level of shocking, horrendous play from Sam. I mean, we've seen QBs play against the Patriots all year now -- including Luke Falk just a few weeks ago. Opposing QBs haven't looked good against the Pats, but this is a whole new and wholly unexpected level of bad.

I'll leave it alone now.

I do hope the kid is able to move past this -- hard enough to get the yips then have to face the barrage of the entire NFL world, not to mention the NY media, after a loss like this. Hard to simply shake a game like this off.

Jets are now 5-15 in their last 20 at home. Jets are now 10-28 with Jamal Adams, who will be leaving as a FA when he gets the chance.  Jets highest paid players right now are L Williams, Mosley, Trumaine, Winters, Kalil and Keleche O.  Beachum and Bell up there too.  

This franchise isn’t in the NFL right now and have a lot of soul searching to do.  I mean, what do they do well?  What are they known for?  What is the identity?  This is a systematic issue that starts with poor poor ownership making bad hires.  Those hires then make bad FA and draft decisions, rinse repeat.  

its not even like their draft picks are awful, their picks wind up out of the league in 2-3 years, how is this constantly occurring?

Time for someone to find a franchise architect, like the NBA version of Jerry West, to come in and gut this.

question, what gave you that impression?  i mean, i’ve been a 40 fan and the jets are simply defenseless.  zero pass rush.  limited front 7 talent.  no o line.  this team isn’t close to being in the league right now, much less being able to hang with the pats.
I’ve also been a 40 year long fan. The impression I had is that the Jets generally play the Pats tough especially when they have some talent which they do now. They simply got tHeir butts handed to them. Talent is part of it but I just didn’t really see any kind of intensity from them and I think they were unprepared scheme wise on both sides of the ball. I’ve seen less talented teams than this play NE close. It was disgraceful 

I’ve also been a 40 year long fan. The impression I had is that the Jets generally play the Pats tough especially when they have some talent which they do now. They simply got tHeir butts handed to them. Talent is part of it but I just didn’t really see any kind of intensity from them and I think they were unprepared scheme wise on both sides of the ball. I’ve seen less talented teams than this play NE close. It was disgraceful 
The Gase Effect

LBH said:
they’ve now been swept 4 straight years.

Come on people, that Barry McCockiner is some troll that just tries to post sarcastic funny quips. You guys probably believed Baghdad Bob back in the day.

Anyway, Connor Hughes (The Athletic) mentioned today that Houston called about Robbie Anderson.  They can have him. Bargain deal. Send Leo, too. Hell, ship out anyone that doesn't have a future. After last night, that's probably everyone but a handful.

LBH said:
What really surprised me, is that Gase seemed to always have New England's number when he was in Miami. I thought this would be a close game, but yeah, was not to be.Maybe this Pats team is a lot better than the last 4 years of Pats teams, which would of course by terrifying.

Going into this game 5 of the last 6 @ the Jets had been decided by 7 or less
standings, last i checked, say Wins-Losses-Ties.  Nothing there for moral victories.  realistically, most nfl games are within a TD.  so, watching the jets be perpetually overmatched is quite disheartening.  in a competitive league, this team routinely seems uncompetitive.

I think that for the better part of a decade, this is what has been so disheartening. They're just not competitive, and when by some miracle they are, it's a house of cards in the end.
it would take me weeks to properly discuss my issues.  but this team needs its own stadium and identity.  no idea at this point how this happens.  not sure if Belmont has the space.  no idea how citifield area effects the wilpons.  no idea if yankee stadium can house the team.  also, they need to draft better.

standings, last i checked, say Wins-Losses-Ties.  Nothing there for moral victories.  realistically, most nfl games are within a TD.  so, watching the jets be perpetually overmatched is quite disheartening.  in a competitive league, this team routinely seems uncompetitive.
You responded to my post where I said I was expecting a tight game , and you asked what gave me that impression 

You responded to my post where I said I was expecting a tight game , and you asked what gave me that impression 
Understand.  But the league is game to game, season to season.  Past results really mean nothing.  I guess I expect very little from this team and current regime.  I looked at this as if the Pats are gonna hang 30-40 on the Jets and given how good the Pats have been defensively, maybe the Jets get 10-17?  I didn't see a zero coming, but the Pats look 3 touchdowns better than the Jets.

Understand.  But the league is game to game, season to season.  Past results really mean nothing.  I guess I expect very little from this team and current regime.  I looked at this as if the Pats are gonna hang 30-40 on the Jets and given how good the Pats have been defensively, maybe the Jets get 10-17?  I didn't see a zero coming, but the Pats look 3 touchdowns better than the Jets.
I know I'm butting in, but I can't help but say that to be fair, the Pats have looked touchdowns better than everybody they've faced so far and have since midway through last year. I'm not sure futility against the Pats is limited to the Jets, it just stings a little more. 

The stats were only part of my expectations. As you say game to game, the Jets were coming off a pretty solid showing against Dallas, and didn’t have Darnold the first time they played NE. Mosley was back and the defense looked outstanding when the Jets had him against the Bills. I think there was reason for optimism with the talent they have. It’s easy to attack this thought process in hindsight but my feeling is that most Jets fans were feeling optimistic that the game would be close 

The stats were only part of my expectations. As you say game to game, the Jets were coming off a pretty solid showing against Dallas, and didn’t have Darnold the first time they played NE. Mosley was back and the defense looked outstanding when the Jets had him against the Bills. I think there was reason for optimism with the talent they have. It’s easy to attack this thought process in hindsight but my feeling is that most Jets fans were feeling optimistic that the game would be close 
I guess I can understand a bit.  I need to say I am hyper jaded at this point and expect absolutely nothing from this team nor franchise.  I am a monstrous Jet fan, but I am at the apathy point of being done with this mess.  This is the first year I didn't buy an NFL package to watch.  What's to watch really?  I just don't know that I can invest my money nor time to this mess anymore.  The goal is to win a SB.  This team cant even draft or sniff the playoffs in a league of parody.  In 60 years this team has had what, 6 home playoff games maybe?  2 of those in the last 20 years?  I hate to say it, but this franchise is a joke.  I can almost argue its one of the worst 10 franchises in all 4 major sports.  What ruffles my feathers is that they sometimes act like they are the Yankees.

I guess I can understand a bit.  I need to say I am hyper jaded at this point and expect absolutely nothing from this team nor franchise.  I am a monstrous Jet fan, but I am at the apathy point of being done with this mess.  This is the first year I didn't buy an NFL package to watch.  What's to watch really?  I just don't know that I can invest my money nor time to this mess anymore.  The goal is to win a SB.  This team cant even draft or sniff the playoffs in a league of parody.  In 60 years this team has had what, 6 home playoff games maybe?  2 of those in the last 20 years?  I hate to say it, but this franchise is a joke.  I can almost argue its one of the worst 10 franchises in all 4 major sports.  What ruffles my feathers is that they sometimes act like they are the Yankees.
I get the frustration. We’ve both been fans of this team for many years. The long history of this team teasing their fans with some moderate amount of success followed by soul crushing defeats has been brutal. I doubt I’ll ever stop being a fan of them but I’ve definitely grown more apathetic to it over time. 

I'm considering picking up the Jets DST for 1 week, the game at Miami in wk 9, for the NO bye. But I'm not convinced it's a good pickup. The Jets D doesn't put much pressure on the QB or get sacks. Maybe it's the scheme. Maybe the players, but I'm not impressed.

Another 1 week option would Cleveland at Denver, without Sanders at WR. 

I'm considering picking up the Jets DST for 1 week, the game at Miami in wk 9, for the NO bye. But I'm not convinced it's a good pickup. The Jets D doesn't put much pressure on the QB or get sacks. Maybe it's the scheme. Maybe the players, but I'm not impressed.

Another 1 week option would Cleveland at Denver, without Sanders at WR. 
Not only should you pick them up, but you should hold them. Miami, Washington, Giants, Oakland, Cin, MIami again is their upcoming schedule through week 14.

Monday night was an abomination, but they scored 2 tds against NE earlier this season. Considering how bad the offense has been, the defense has somehow ( Greg Williams?) has been pretty good considering the offensive turnovers and bad field position. 

Not only should you pick them up, but you should hold them. Miami, Washington, Giants, Oakland, Cin, MIami again is their upcoming schedule through week 14.

Monday night was an abomination, but they scored 2 tds against NE earlier this season. Considering how bad the offense has been, the defense has somehow ( Greg Williams?) has been pretty good considering the offensive turnovers and bad field position. 
ollokolooklol

Gase will accept your challenge.  You didn't even mention the most embarrassing thing: the public squabble and fining of our guard for deciding to have surgery even though three doctors recommended surgery.
J - E - S - T!   Jest! Jest! Jest!

Yes, tough season.

Users who are viewing this thread