What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

I wasn’t trying to imply it will be the greatest offense ever - but if Darnold does not show significant progress I think it’s time to start pinning some blame on him instead of making excuses. We all believe in him (maybe out of desperation) but so far he’s really been a mixed bag.
👀

Oh. Carry on then. I wanted to draft Kyler Murray last year if he fell to third, so that might say something. Instead, we drafted a DT. And then fired the GM responsible for the draft. Awesome job, Maccagnan. They got Murray and Bosa. We got gun-totin' Quinnen. 

eta* I'm just not all in on The Sixth Sense up top. 

I wasn’t trying to imply it will be the greatest offense ever - but if Darnold does not show significant progress I think it’s time to start pinning some blame on him instead of making excuses. We all believe in him (maybe out of desperation) but so far he’s really been a mixed bag.
From an outsider perspective and admittedly not having watched him much I thought darnold has looked the part of an nfl qb. Decent showing his rookie year, and last year was derailed early because of his mono, kind of hard to miss those crucial early weeks and try to salvage. I think it’s a team/offense on the upswing, albeit a year away from pushing for the division, albeit in a weakened division that is seemingly up for grabs. 

From an outsider perspective and admittedly not having watched him much I thought darnold has looked the part of an nfl qb. Decent showing his rookie year, and last year was derailed early because of his mono, kind of hard to miss those crucial early weeks and try to salvage. I think it’s a team/offense on the upswing, albeit a year away from pushing for the division, albeit in a weakened division that is seemingly up for grabs. 
I've always thought that Darnold was a legit NFL QB with a good amount of potential.

There have been at least 2 main factors stunting his growth: 1) Terrible o-line and no weapons around him 2) Injuries such as a spained foot which caused him to miss 3 games, wrist ligament sprain which required off-season surgery, strep and mono which impacted multiple games, and he even lost a toenail after getting stepped on.  That's a lot to deal with in his first 2 seasons. These injuries are related to his poor o-line. The guy was running for his life all the time. Perhaps literally.

You could even make the case for 3) Bad coaching and learning 2 different systems  4) Limited college experience (only 2 years starting) and 5) He's really young. They just drafted his back-up who is actually older than him. 

Sometimes he tries to do too much, but I'm really worried about him at all (PFF stats aside, ha @rockaction)

I've always thought that Darnold was a legit NFL QB with a good amount of potential.

There have been at least 2 main factors stunting his growth: 1) Terrible o-line and no weapons around him 2) Injuries such as a spained foot which caused him to miss 3 games, wrist ligament sprain which required off-season surgery, strep and mono which impacted multiple games, and he even lost a toenail after getting stepped on.  That's a lot to deal with in his first 2 seasons. These injuries are related to his poor o-line. The guy was running for his life all the time. Perhaps literally.

You could even make the case for 3) Bad coaching and learning 2 different systems  4) Limited college experience (only 2 years starting) and 5) He's really young. They just drafted his back-up who is actually older than him. 

Sometimes he tries to do too much, but I'm really worried about him at all (PFF stats aside, ha @rockaction)
Leave the worrying and PFF to me -- it's what I bring to the table. But good points in the bolded here. Sometimes I have to remind myself of this when he's being chased around after two seconds in the pocket.

I know that you weren't, but I think it's very possible that our alleged offensive support improvement around him could be a house of cards. Given the injury history and lack of training camp due to the Coronavirus situation, it can go south pretty quickly. I believe our greatest improvement will come from the improved o-line, but that takes time to gel with 4-5 new starters. We may not see that benefit until mid-to late in the season.

Cimini was already saying the same in his article today, but then again, he's naturally negative. 

Two guys who started off very similar- sam bradford and Matt stafford. Stafford was injured early and came into the league real young- hard to believe he’s still pretty young having been around so long. Coaching changes, can’t really say bad supporting cast when megatron was a target, but some similarities. Bradford was of course often injured, went through coaches/coordinators yearly, was never really on a good team. We’ll see which way darnold falls.

Ok, so now that the high of our only sporting event has worn off, where do we stand today other than feeling bored? 

Rookies  New

OFFENSE

QB: Do you still sign someone like Flacco to be our back-up? I have my doubts if we're going to have limited camp. Fales is awful, but knows the offense. Flacco is slightly less awful, but doesn't know the offense. Matt Moore?  Maybe we stick with Darnold, Fales, and Morgan.

RB: Bell, Perine, Josh Adams, Cannon, Dixon.   I think they stick with those top 3 and cut Cannon.

WR: Perriman, Mims, Crowder.....Enunwa, Berrios, Doctson, V. Smith, J. Smith. Bellamy.   I would think that hey cut Bellamy. They might add a vet WR via trade or that gets cut.

TE: Herndon, Griffen, Brown, Wesco .  No change

O-line: Bechton, Lewis, McGovern, Van Roten, Fant....Edoga, Winters, C. Clark, Harrison, Andrews. I would think that Winters gets cut and we add elsewhere with his money, but oddly he's still here.

DEFENSE

D-Line: Q Wiliams, McClendon, Anderson....Fatukasi, Phillips, Shepherd (and a couple of more guys)  - Stays intact. Good young performers last season

OLBs:  Jenkins, Bashum....Luvu, Zuniga - This unit is weak. I can see them adding an edge free agent. Clowney? Not sure if he's a guy they would want. You've got the guy from the Giants, and Curry.

ILB: Mosley, Williamson, Onwausor, Cashman, Hewitt, Burgess. - Hmm, I thought Williamson would be gone after signing the Baltimore guy plus re-signing Burgess. They might cut him if they need the money to upgrade at Edge or CB. We'll see

CBs: Desir, Maulet, Poole.....Austin, Hairston, Q. Wilson. Hall (plus Guidry and L. Jackson the 2 UDFAs ).  Do they still upgrade at starting CB with Logan Ryan? I'm not sure. They traded for Wilson, drafted Hall, and signed 2 potential UDFAs.

Safeties: Adams, Maye...A. Davis, B. Jackson

SPECIAL TEAMS

P - Mann - loved this move

K - Maher/Ficken - I hope we sign someone else. I'll leave it at that.

Bottom Line: I think they look to sign an edge LB (free agency), and potentially look at upgrades at WR (trade/cuts), CB (free agency), and K (scrap heap).

NYRAGE said:
Ok, so now that the high of our only sporting event has worn off, where do we stand today other than feeling bored? 

Rookies  New

OFFENSE

QB: Do you still sign someone like Flacco to be our back-up? I have my doubts if we're going to have limited camp. Fales is awful, but knows the offense. Flacco is slightly less awful, but doesn't know the offense. Matt Moore?  Maybe we stick with Darnold, Fales, and Morgan.

RB: Bell, Perine, Josh Adams, Cannon, Dixon.   I think they stick with those top 3 and cut Cannon.

WR: Perriman, Mims, Crowder.....Enunwa, Berrios, Doctson, V. Smith, J. Smith. Bellamy.   I would think that hey cut Bellamy. They might add a vet WR via trade or that gets cut.

TE: Herndon, Griffen, Brown, Wesco .  No change

O-line: Bechton, Lewis, McGovern, Van Roten, Fant....Edoga, Winters, C. Clark, Harrison, Andrews. I would think that Winters gets cut and we add elsewhere with his money, but oddly he's still here.

DEFENSE

D-Line: Q Wiliams, McClendon, Anderson....Fatukasi, Phillips, Shepherd (and a couple of more guys)  - Stays intact. Good young performers last season

OLBs:  Jenkins, Bashum....Luvu, Zuniga - This unit is weak. I can see them adding an edge free agent. Clowney? Not sure if he's a guy they would want. You've got the guy from the Giants, and Curry.

ILB: Mosley, Williamson, Onwausor, Cashman, Hewitt, Burgess. - Hmm, I thought Williamson would be gone after signing the Baltimore guy plus re-signing Burgess. They might cut him if they need the money to upgrade at Edge or CB. We'll see

CBs: Desir, Maulet, Poole.....Austin, Hairston, Q. Wilson. Hall (plus Guidry and L. Jackson the 2 UDFAs ).  Do they still upgrade at starting CB with Logan Ryan? I'm not sure. They traded for Wilson, drafted Hall, and signed 2 potential UDFAs.

Safeties: Adams, Maye...A. Davis, B. Jackson

SPECIAL TEAMS

P - Mann - loved this move

K - Maher/Ficken - I hope we sign someone else. I'll leave it at that.

Bottom Line: I think they look to sign an edge LB (free agency), and potentially look at upgrades at WR (trade/cuts), CB (free agency), and K (scrap heap).
good write up - 

few random thoughts - 

QB - I liked the Morgan pick....I would just leave it all as is unless Flacco wants to come in dirt cheap...if Sam goes down again then season is likely toast anyway

RB - Perine should be a nice alternative to Bell...reminds me of the old ground and pound offense....if he shows enough it will seal his status as the heir to Bell next yr - Bell should have a big rebound yr with the improved OL

WR - weak group - would love to add a decent vet if one is cut - must improve in 2021

OL - huge upgrade from last yr - Sam should get better even without good weapons with such a good running game and improved OL

TE - Herndon return should upgrade

DL - Healthy and better Q will upgrade - saw a pic of him in great shape - needs to take next step after poor first yr

LB - OLB not looking good but GWil should scheme a pass rush - ILB huge improve with Moseley and Willamson return

CB - Would not be a bad idea to upgrade as mainly a lot of #2s.....

S - best spot on the team especially adding Davis

P - Love this kid - and fans will appreciate him very quickly  - huge upgrade

K - cant go in with those 2......pray a decent one is cut loose in camp

ST - watch for Davis to establish himself as a great returner -

All in all the Jets clearly improved themselves - however will this result in a better record?  7-9 was the result of a cup cake schedule - on paper will be much harder this yr....Jets could look and play better and still be 7-9.....Gase is a liability until he proves otherwise but Im hoping he bounces back as consistency is needed for Sam.  Very excited for the season!  

NYRAGE said:
Good write up.

I know a lot of fans are disappointed with the WR corp., but I don't believe it's as bleak as it seems (even without Enunwa who I don't think will be back). If Perriman finally turned the corner like it looked like he did at the end of 2019 he's a force at 6'4" with 4.3 speed. Add a (admittedly raw) rookie at 6'3" and also 4.3 speed and that really opens things up. Crowder has potential to be one of the better slot WRs in the league and I wouldn't rule out Berrios developing into one of those pesky guys that are always open on third down.

Now we also has 2 TEs that look like they can be major contributors and theoretically one of the best pass catching RBs in the league.

More importantly, I've always been one that thinks QBs make WRs, and not the other way around. Now that he should have time Darnold needs to take the next step himself and get the ball to the open guy and let him make plays. Crowder could catch 90-100 balls and Perriman and Mims should have a handful of 40+ yard TDs  between them if Sam is firing on all cylinders.

Conner Hughes from the Athletic says that the remaining free agents that the Jets could target are:

Clowney - now that his price is much lower. The Jets checked in earlier.

Ryan - Decent CB, price is still a bit high. Jets were looking at him before the draft.

Prince Amukamara - not as high upside as Ryan, but should be cheaper. The Jets talked to him early in FA.

Vin Curry - still a decent pass rusher and would like to stay in the NY/NJ/PA area. Connection to JD

Carlos Hyde - downhill rusher (sounds like just speculation

Flacco - veteran with JD connection (sounds like speculation).

I'll throw in mine: Kenny Stills and Curtis Samuel if it's true that their teams may want to move them.

I guess for depth it's not terrible but seems like a waste. I'd rather bring back Powell if they wanted a washed up vet.
I did a shoulder shrug when I read they signed him.  He's obviously not here to be a weapon. I guess Gase wanted more leadership and good culture guys in his locker room. He can set a good example for Perine and other young players. 

To me, it's kind of "whatevs". All those guys behind him were scrubs (Adams, Cannon. Dixon). It sure would be nice to have some more speed back there though.

Obvious a great locker room influence, but I'd agree with those who prefer they keep someone with potential and speed for that spot.

The guy really is a freak of nature though. 2 ACL tears in college and he still made it to 36 playing running back?!! Its insanity.

Enunwa and Bellamy placed on season ending PUP.

So yeah, obviously Enunwa is done. Really bad break, as he was a talented dude who played really hard. His contract is fully guaranteed for this year, so he obviously wasn't going to officially retire with $6 Mil coming to him.

So yeah, obviously Enunwa is done. Really bad break, as he was a talented dude who played really hard. His contract is fully guaranteed for this year, so he obviously wasn't going to officially retire with $6 Mil coming to him.
I said earlier I don't see Enunwa playing this season. I think their wide receiver depth is better than most believe, but I do also think they will be looking at June 1 cuts or trade possibilities to add a veteran. Tough break for Q, but this was a bad contract from Day 1.

I'll throw in mine: Kenny Stills and Curtis Samuel if it's true that their teams may want to move them.
Too bad there's no smoke around what would be utter fire (slang usage) for us Jets fans. I'd take either of those two playmakers in an instant. That'd be speed, which seems to be the name of the dominant division in the AFC, the AFC West. You need those guys to run your track meets or you're not sniffing deep seasons. Unless you're huge everywhere, like Tennessee, but they got exposed by speed, too. Heck even the 49ers had a ton, just in their backfield. Mostert, Coleman, Breida? All flyers.

So that's it gentleman. I hope they bring in some speed.

eta* I wrote this before RAGE did his speed thing. Total brainwave. Need some quicks up in here, fellas. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I went back yesterday searching through the forums to find my vitriol for the Enunwa contract. I found a complaint when he first signed, but not the rest of my anger. I must have posted it elsewhere, but I don't have a lot of patience to search for it either. I hated that contract for 2 reasons: 1) He got overpaid probably by about twice what he was worth  2) Stupid Maccagnan guaranteed so much of it for a guy with such an injury history.  Aside from having to absorb his bonus from the cap next year, I see that Maccant also guaranteed another $4m due to injury next year!  What a clown!  This contract was worse than the Trumaine Johnson contract.

Speaking of Johnson, while searching, I saw Dr. Oct's post about how signing Johnson was worth every penny. Gulp. lol. Oh boy, no offense to our Dr., but I'm sure we all have some doozies in our history of posting on this beloved Jets forum. I'm sure I defended Sanchez at some point. I hope I don't look back and see my defense of Darnold was another mistake.

Too bad there's no smoke around what would be utter fire (slang usage) for us Jets fans. I'd take either of those two playmakers in an instant. That'd be speed, which seems to be the name of the dominant division in the AFC, the AFC West. You need those guys to run your track meets or you're not sniffing deep seasons. Unless you're huge everywhere, like Tennessee, but they got exposed by speed, too. Heck even the 49ers had a ton, just in their backfield. Mostert, Coleman, Breida? All flyers.

So that's it gentleman. I hope they bring in some speed.

eta* I wrote this before RAGE did his speed thing. Total brainwave. Need some quicks up in here, fellas. 
Both Stills and Samuel were rumored to be on the trade block during draft weekend.

It was probably one of those bs accounts, but one had us linked to looking into Samuel. It's probably not crazy considering that JD has said that he does his due dilligence and puts in call about most players.

We had no connection to Stills, but he did play for Gase, so there is always that.

Speed: We've always been one of the slowest teams in the league both on offense and defense.It's painful to watch. I'm glad JD finally values it. He also values leadership. I'm not quite sure what are previous GMs valued looking back. Anyway, I like having speed on the outside to open up the middle of the field. It sure would be nice to have a fast back to take advantage of open space. It always feels like we have compressed fields with the defense on top of us because we're so slow in general.

Too bad there's no smoke around what would be utter fire (slang usage) for us Jets fans. I'd take either of those two playmakers in an instant. That'd be speed, which seems to be the name of the dominant division in the AFC, the AFC West.
Perriman and Mims are both 4.3 guys.

Both Stills and Samuel were rumored to be on the trade block during draft weekend.

It was probably one of those bs accounts, but one had us linked to looking into Samuel. It's probably not crazy considering that JD has said that he does his due dilligence and puts in call about most players.

We had no connection to Stills, but he did play for Gase, so there is always that.

Speed: We've always been one of the slowest teams in the league both on offense and defense.It's painful to watch. I'm glad JD finally values it. He also values leadership. I'm not quite sure what are previous GMs valued looking back. Anyway, I like having speed on the outside to open up the middle of the field. It sure would be nice to have a fast back to take advantage of open space. It always feels like we have compressed fields with the defense on top of us because we're so slow in general.
Yeah, I'd heard they were both on the block. Samuel surprised me winding up there. I seriously think the guy is open a lot, but he hasn't had good QB play in a while. Stills is much better than people give him credit for. Interesting to hear about us looking into Samuel. Stills is a professional right now, meaning a veteran journeyman who does what he does and with a corps this bereft, who knows? Might be enough reps and targets might make him viable as a really significant addition. 

Bolded: I agree down to the "What exactly..." lament. I guess the last time speed anywhere was an in-game advantage was for a brief moment in the very late aughts when Braylon Edwards could beat people deep, that loosened up a bit. Enough to make the AFC Championship with an overmatched Sanchez at QB. Brad Smith brought speed to the return game and was probably the best kick returner we've ever had. So that team had some quicks, especially on defense, Rex's strength. But you're right. They've been sloooooow for a long time, and at intervals before that. 

Speaking of Johnson, while searching, I saw Dr. Oct's post about how signing Johnson was worth every penny. Gulp. lol. Oh boy, no offense to our Dr., but I'm sure we all have some doozies in our history of posting on this beloved Jets forum. I'm sure I defended Sanchez at some point. I hope I don't look back and see my defense of Darnold was another mistake.
I think most people were happy about the Johnson signing at the time. He was a stud for the Rams. I think I have even defended Mac in hindsight on that one. Not all signings workout. That one ended up being horrible.

The speed thing has always been just so obvious. When you watch a Jets offense (for YEARS, multiple staffs....multiple coordinators, multiple QB's) EVERYTHING just seems so difficult. Its just a grind. They gain 11 yards and I'm ready to do cartwheels through my living room

Then you watch a team like KC or the Rams a couple of years ago with dudes flying all over the field.  Its like a totally different sport.

I think most people were happy about the Johnson signing at the time. He was a stud for the Rams. I think I have even defended Mac in hindsight on that one. Not all signings workout. That one ended up being horrible.
I think we were all pretty happy because we were lacking any talent on our crappy team, but Rockaction's holy football guide, PFF, had Johnson ranked 68th the season prior to our deal. That's bottom CB2.  The year before he ranked 25th (top CB2) .

Unfortunately we paid him as a top CB1 coming off a bad CB2 season .  The warning signs were there. Overpaying players was Maccagnan's mo.

Yeah, I'd heard they were both on the block. Samuel surprised me winding up there. I seriously think the guy is open a lot, but he hasn't had good QB play in a while. Stills is much better than people give him credit for. Interesting to hear about us looking into Samuel. Stills is a professional right now, meaning a veteran journeyman who does what he does and with a corps this bereft, who knows? Might be enough reps and targets might make him viable as a really significant addition. 
I watched Carolina quite a bit because I had CMC and Samuel.  It seems like almost every pass to him was 10 yards over his head or wide of him. Horrible QB play starting with Cam and the other 2 mopes that followed.

Stills is the 4th WR on Houston. I would imagine that they would want to keep him considering the injury history of the top 3 guys, but his name was floated as being available. I would like to add him if possible. I think his salary is around $7m. That's a lot for a 4th guy in Houston even if they have the cap room.

The speed thing has always been just so obvious. When you watch a Jets offense (for YEARS, multiple staffs....multiple coordinators, multiple QB's) EVERYTHING just seems so difficult. Its just a grind. They gain 11 yards and I'm ready to do cartwheels through my living room

Then you watch a team like KC or the Rams a couple of years ago with dudes flying all over the field.  Its like a totally different sport.
The thing about our grinding offense is that it wouldn't take much to derail a drive. A penalty like a hold or even offsides was enough to end a drive even if we could grind out 3-4 first downs.  Nothing like looking at a possible fg as the dream aspiration at the start of every drive. 

I watched Carolina quite a bit because I had CMC and Samuel.  It seems like almost every pass to him was 10 yards over his head or wide of him. Horrible QB play starting with Cam and the other 2 mopes that followed.

Stills is the 4th WR on Houston. I would imagine that they would want to keep him considering the injury history of the top 3 guys, but his name was floated as being available. I would like to add him if possible. I think his salary is around $7m. That's a lot for a 4th guy in Houston even if they have the cap room.
Cam wasn't right in the games he played -- the Tampa game was especially painful with guys open all over the field and him missing them by a mile. The other QBs weren't so great, either, though Allen feasted in AZ one game.

Stills is indeed due that much and will likely get cut. Thought the exact same thing you did about the dilemma between his salary and the other receivers' injury history. We'll see. The Jets should have cap room to bring him in at a reduced rate should that happen.

I'd love to see the acquisition of either. It would certainly be a boon to the weak WR corps. 

Cam wasn't right in the games he played -- the Tampa game was especially painful with guys open all over the field and him missing them by a mile. The other QBs weren't so great, either, though Allen feasted in AZ one game.

Stills is indeed due that much and will likely get cut. Thought the exact same thing you did about the dilemma between his salary and the other receivers' injury history. We'll see. The Jets should have cap room to bring him in at a reduced rate should that happen.

I'd love to see the acquisition of either. It would certainly be a boon to the weak WR corps. 
I remember that game. Allen was impressive. I liked the guts he showed in the pocket taking hits to make throws. He seemed unfazed by playing in the NFL. Then it went downhill fast. The third guy may have been the worst QB I've seen last year and we had a couple of doozies on our team.

Another really tough start to the season. @Buf,  SF, @Indy, Denver on a short week.  That is not easy.  Road trips to KC, LA Rams, Seattle and the Chargers.   And their one unique game is against Cleveland, who should be better than last year.

And then they get NE week 17, so if there's somehow in the wild card hunt, you know New England wont lay down and let them have it (regardless of what their situation is)

Just seems like an incredibly tough schedule to me.  Not optimistic unless Sam takes a BIG leap forward.

PUP isn't season ending until the season opens.  Right now it's just Reserve/PUP list for which players that have not yet practiced for are eligible.  Active/PUP kicks in after final rosters are announced and anyone on Reserve/PUP at that time can be placed there.  While the players' injuries might indicate they are done, their presence on that list doesn't automatically rule them out.  I believe Enunwa is toast and was shocked he played at all last year but dunno about Bellamy.

TLEF316 said:
Another really tough start to the season. @Buf,  SF, @Indy, Denver on a short week.  That is not easy.  Road trips to KC, LA Rams, Seattle and the Chargers.   And their one unique game is against Cleveland, who should be better than last year.

And then they get NE week 17, so if there's somehow in the wild card hunt, you know New England wont lay down and let them have it (regardless of what their situation is)

Just seems like an incredibly tough schedule to me.  Not optimistic unless Sam takes a BIG leap forward.
My biggest concern is how quickly can a brand new offensive line gel when there might be limited training camp.

At Buf - Buffalo is a good team, but it should be a close game. These teams always seem to play tight games. A win wouldn't shock me, but obviously Buffalo is favored to win with good reason..

SF - Toughest game by far. SF is obviously the way better team, but SF has to travel east for an early game. No way we win, but might be closer than we think.

At Indy - Again, we'll be the underdog on the road, but is Indy that scary? Old man Rivers doesn't worry me and their defense has some holes. This game could go either way, but advantage to the home team.

Denver - on a short week: well it's shorter for them since they have to travel. They should have an improved offense, but I think we should have the advantage as the home team.

Best case: 3-1 if everything goes right which probably isn't very likely

Realistic case: 2-2 assuming we pull off one slight road dog game and beat out Denver

Possible case: 1-3 losing both games on the road - wouldn't be shocking

Worst case: 0-4 I think it's unlikely. We should be favored at home against Denver in a short week although it's not out of the realm of possibility that we also lose to Denver.

Your O-line.  What do you think?  They poured a lot into it, so it's gotta be improved.  How much & how soon?

Totally depends on how ready the big guy is. If he's a day 1 starting LT, I like their chances. If not, and Fant is out there, I'm far less optimistic.

Still can't be worse than last year

Your O-line.  What do you think?  They poured a lot into it, so it's gotta be improved.  How much & how soon?
It’s hard to say. They added talent and depth and it’s the best I’ve felt about it in a while but this is a tough offseason to break in a new oline. 

It depends on how you look at it. Last year they arguably had one of the worst o-lines of all time. Bad starters and worse depth that was pressed into action.

They have revamped the o-line. Every starter (or 80% of it if Lewis starts again) should be better individually than their replacements. No doubt about that.  That said, it's not like they went all out and got all-pro players. They added guys very good in space, better in pass protection, and that don't take penalties.  This is the scheme and philosophy that they want.

How long will it take it to gel is the key question given probably limited training camp time. They have potential to be an average o-line or perhaps better if the scheme works (wide zone gap).

Outside of the center who was signed for 3 years and Becton, none of those other guys are guaranteed to be on the line for more than one year. Another way to look at it is that they are probably stop gap players. Maybe Fant works out at the other tackle spot long-term. Edoga started out ok, but then stuggled in his rookie year.  They drafted a tackle in the mid-rounds that probably becomes their guard long-term. They could draft another 2 linemen next year (tackle of Fant/Edoga don't work out).  At least they have competent depth for a change and all of these players can play multiple positions. We finally have a GM that doesn't ignore the position.

They added guys very good in space, better in pass protection, and that don't take penalties.
If I read this right, you're suggesting that Sam should be better protected, but don't count on Bell returning to top-5 status. Right?

Just catching up - lot of good posts lately to chime in on

Enunwa - I liked the player but recall at the time questioning this contract as excessive based on injury history and not earning this kind f $ - I agree with doc that at least tru showed he was a top player - tough to predict that a player was basically going to quit so I give more of a pass to that one than Q which pretty much played out as expected.  

OL - I am much happier with the OL - while it isnt a top 10 OL it is light years better than last 2 yrs and should give Sam enough time to show his development - Finally have some youth and upside on that OL - potential to be even better than anticipated

QB - have spent some time really looking over Sam's development - when you realize that this kid is younger than Burrow you can feel really good about the QB position.  I think this is a slow steady development with a step forward this year into solid territory - not elite territory - which could provide a window to extend him for a reasonable contract that can give him good $ but not kill the teams cap.  

WR - this is the next critical position - If Mims steps up then it shouldnt be so bad but a big time playmaker is definitely needed to help Sam.....hopefully Herndon returns to form and chips in as well

RB - This is Bell's make or break season - he had a excuse last yr with the putrid OL but even when there was a rare hole he just didnt have the same burst - he's guaranteed to be cut this yr so figure he's playing for a contract and will have a good season.  I like the Gore signing from a leadership angle but really would rather see Perine get a few carries per game rather than gore to see if they need to sign/draft a RB next season.  

Def- While this offseason was primarily focused on the Offense - as it should - the defense on paper is better than last yr.  They didnt lose anyone of significance - Q looks stronger and hopefully injury free.  LBs should be much improved with Mosely and Williamson. and the DBs got an infusion of talent.  I think they extend Adams next offseason and continue trending to the best defense this team has had since Rex.  

Schedule - tough to say - teams go up and down - one thing for sure is the AFC East is finally wide open...Im expecting an 8-8 type season....they should have a top defense....the problem in the past has been big stops and the offense stepping up when needed.....on paper they can hang in there with the NFC West powerhouses....they just need to finish games - also may not be a bad yr to go to places like Seattle where home field advantage may not be as big with less fans.....I think they show glimpses this season with a main step to be made next yr,  

All that being said Im still not. believer in Gase - if they look lousy this year and Sam doesnt take a big step fwd its time for him to go - its really tough because the best thing for Sam is consistency yet I hate the HC.....hopefully Im wrong.  

Cap - with close to $100M in cap space next season it would be a good time to extend Adams/Sam and add 1 or 2 more playmakers and they should be in a good spot to contend for the next few yrs.....if coaching steps up or is upgraded......  

If I read this right, you're suggesting that Sam should be better protected, but don't count on Bell returning to top-5 status. Right?
the run blocking will be improved but I just dont see  Bell returning to top 5 status.....definitely better than last y though.  

NYRAGE said:
I'm surprised @rockaction hasn't posted the Jets schedule and 16-0 prediction already. I know that he is high on Bell winning comeback player of the year.
Oof. Can't lose, at least. I mean, can't lose games they won't be playing.

Wilder prediction, more likely than 16-0 and Le'Veon's greatness to the fore: The Jets won't play a home game in front of fans this year. The Jets may not even play a home game.  Heck, the Jets may not even play a game. 

Somehow, those predictions actually weren't wilder than 16-0. It would take an international event to stop a season, and an international event was more likely than the Jets going 16-0. 

daveR said:
I was just talking about the o-line without really implying anything, but you can definitely infer from what I wrote that I don't see Bell returning to top-5 status. It's more than just the status of the o-line. It's several factors:

1) How good is the offense? Can the Jets get to the middle tier of offenses from basically dead last?  Adam Gase offense aside, if Darnold takes the next step with an improved o-line, yeah maybe they become an average offense this year, but Is that good enough for Bell to become top-5 again? Doubtful

2) Will Bell get the opportunities to return to top-5? Extremely unlikely. Gase has already stated that he would like to lessen the load for Bell. That doesn't sound too optimistic. He's not going to get 97% of the snaps like he did in Pittsburgh. They drafted a RB and they just signed Gore.  You know that Gase loves to use Gore from his previous stint in Miami.  The Jets will very likely cut Bell after this season. One theory was that they would ride him to the bone, but Gase's comments and the GM's actions state otherwise.

3) Also, as our esteemed @rockaction once questioned, is Bell a good scheme fit for this offense? It seems that Gase prefers someone to hit the holes quicker than Bell that patiently awaits for his running lane. Plus, for some reason, Darnold didn't check down to Bell last year no matter how open Bell seemed to be. It was maddening if you were a Bell fantasy owner. Much of Bell's fantasy prowess came from his receptions in Pittsburgh. It wasn't shocking to see Bell with 10 catches a game. The Jets threw to him early in the season, but not much afterwards. Don''t ask me why.

4) Is Bell still Bell? I thought he played great the first few games, but he seemed to slow down a bit the rest of the way. I think some even questioned if he gained weight.  Either way, he looked a bit slower the rest of the season. Maybe he just wasn't in the same game shape after missing a year. Who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if he looks quicker this season, but he's also a year older and RBs tend to hit the wall as they age.

So, I definitely don't think he goes back to to-5 status.

Oof. Can't lose, at least. I mean, can't lose games they won't be playing.

Wilder prediction, more likely than 16-0 and Le'Veon's greatness to the fore: The Jets won't play a home game in front of fans this year. The Jets may not even play a home game.  Heck, the Jets may not even play a game. 

Somehow, those predictions actually weren't wilder than 16-0. It would take an international event to stop a season, and an international event was more likely than the Jets going 16-0. 
Don't underestimate the greed of the NFL. I think they definitely play this year.

Don't underestimate the greed of the NFL. I think they definitely play this year.
Yeah, never underestimate the cynicism of a politician, the greed of an NFL owner. I still don't think they can play if we get hit again. They may, but the logistics of it are astounding. The massive amounts of uncertainty regarding areas able to be played in, the disconnect between state and federal law, and the states' individual police powers given each state's stomach for sporting events amidst viral sickness make it even more unlikely that you've got anything resembling a normal schedule. 

I think they really want it to happen. I've seen nothing that encourages me that they will. But that's for another thread.

You covered it with Bell. He might go down as the biggest waste of a signing since...Trumaine Johnson. I kid. He had the potential to be a terrible signing, and watching him crate what-used-to-be out there has been a bit sad, actually. He's tried. But he and the team around him weren't up to snuff. I don't think anybody can really take a year off and ever come back right unless it was injury or they rededicate themselves fully. And I'm not positive that Bell did anything but get in perfunctory shape. Him trying to play through the flu but winding up bowling alone in New Jersey has to sum up something somewhere as a metaphor. Oh well. Out of it, Maccagnan was fired, and that's top shelf right there. 

Yeah, never underestimate the cynicism of a politician, the greed of an NFL owner. I still don't think they can play if we get hit again. They may, but the logistics of it are astounding. The massive amounts of uncertainty regarding areas able to be played in, the disconnect between state and federal law, and the states' individual police powers given each state's stomach for sporting events amidst viral sickness make it even more unlikely that you've got anything resembling a normal schedule. 

I think they really want it to happen. I've seen nothing that encourages me that they will. But that's for another thread.

You covered it with Bell. He might go down as the biggest waste of a signing since...Trumaine Johnson. I kid. He had the potential to be a terrible signing, and watching him crate what-used-to-be out there has been a bit sad, actually. He's tried. But he and the team around him weren't up to snuff. I don't think anybody can really take a year off and ever come back right unless it was injury or they rededicate themselves fully. And I'm not positive that Bell did anything but get in perfunctory shape. Him trying to play through the flu but winding up bowling alone in New Jersey has to sum up something somewhere as a metaphor. Oh well. Out of it, Maccagnan was fired, and that's top shelf right there. 
I'm curious to see what happens if they start knocking out weeks during the season.  Fantasy football panic will ensue. Hosting sites like Yahoo better be flexible.

I know that fantasy sports takes a backseat during this pandemic. I've got 2 hockey leagues on hold to see if we will continue the regular season or just end the standings as is. I convinced my fantasy baseball league to push back the draft from March. Baseball usually carries me over until football season and I hate playing it once football starts. If baseball starts in July, I don't even want to do it anymore since it will really coincide with football.  I've already backed out of other baseball leagues luckily.

Then there is Daily sports. I have friends texting me about using certain Korean baseball players. GTFO. I don't even want to think about that. I have daily fantasy out of my system now. Not sure that I'll go back. Norman Chad is getting killed for his we need less sports article today. I don't know.  I'm not sure that he's totally wrong. I don't need to play daily fantasy right now and it doesn't feel so bad. It's pretty time consuming.

Anyway, like you say, maybe it's all for naught. Maybe there won't be sports. I still think greed will rule the day.

Users who are viewing this thread