What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, PHI (2 Viewers)

Many had him as the 6th RB before the combine.  Do you think he should go higher than that?
I was referring to saquon. But yeah, I like penny after guice, depending on where they all end up I’m likely looking at him at 1.03. I think you can make a strong argument for jones, Chubb, and Michel there but this is where I’m at. Penny isn’t Barry Sanders, he’s more of a Marcus Allen if you want a hof comparison.

Hawaii, San Jose St, Nevada, New Mexico, and Army.  Really?  Also, no receiving game (3 receptions last 7 games) for him, so he probably sits on 3rd down if / when he ever gets regular playing time at the next level.
Learn SDSU's offense or at the very least spend 3 seconds looking up receiving stats. Notice something? The fact Penny was 2nd on his team in receptions should jump out at you.

SDSU rarely passed the ball. When it did it either used Penny for play action, or lined him up as WR. SDSU coaches toyed with moving him to WR due to his catching skills, but decided to leave him at RB. 

Penny does need to work at pass blocking just like the vast majority of College RBs before entering the League. It's a weakness for most RBs since it is a skill they rarely practice from HS thru college. Penny was rarely required to block on passing downs because he was busy being a decoy or primary target. That's how smart teams would utilize Penny until he learns to pass block.

So you being lazy by paraphrasing lazy writers who didn't even bother to watch film or look at stats proves nothing.

Also, you might wanna view how Barkley did against top defenses (sarcasm) like GA STATE. At least Penny dominated those sorry teams.

Learn SDSU's offense or at the very least spend 3 seconds looking up receiving stats. Notice something? The fact Penny was 2nd on his team in receptions should jump out at you.

SDSU rarely passed the ball. When it did it either used Penny for play action, or lined him up as WR. SDSU coaches toyed with moving him to WR due to his catching skills, but decided to leave him at RB. 

Penny does need to work at pass blocking just like the vast majority of College RBs before entering the League. It's a weakness for most RBs since it is a skill they rarely practice from HS thru college. Penny was rarely required to block on passing downs because he was busy being a decoy or primary target. That's how smart teams would utilize Penny until he learns to pass block.

So you being lazy by paraphrasing lazy writers who didn't even bother to watch film or look at stats proves nothing.

Also, you might wanna view how Barkley did against top defenses (sarcasm) like GA STATE. At least Penny dominated those sorry teams.
If you want to ignore Penny's competition that is your prerogative.  I'm not saying to ignore his stats (of any kind) totally, but you do have to keep it in perspective with regards to this competition over the course of the entire season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this guy. 

Draft Breakdown vs Stanford (2017)

Quick and shifty. Makes some nice reads. Has a run to the outside where he bends like an edge rusher. Solid burst. 

Runs to square. Goes into contact too high. Terrible pass pro. 
Lmao @terrible when he has such a tiny body of work. 

My guess is you don't know that's on par with most college RBs. 

Being bad at something you rarely practice and aren't really require to do in the scheme is far from a red flag. Especially a skill most players at his position don't have until they get to the NFL. 

If you want to ignore Penny's competition that is your prerogative.  I'm not saying to ignore his stats (of any kind), but you do have to keep it in perspective with regards to this competition. 
Like how he lit up ASU and Stanford?

Let's talk about Barkley being a no show vs lesser teams since you're using competition as a barometer 

Like how he lit up ASU and Stanford?

Let's talk about Barkley being a no show vs lesser teams since you're using competition as a barometer 
Key words, "long haul", not one game or two.  There simply isn't enough data for Penny against good competition.  You can't compare his conference to the Big 10.  I like Penny, but you have to factor his competition over the course of his college career.  Not saying dismiss him, only to factor it in, with many other variables when judging a player.

How do lazy writers like Nystrom still have a job?

How does being 2nd in receptions on his team qualify as not being utilized in the passing game?

I know! This lazy writer couldn't be bothered to spend a second to look at team stats or a single game film on Penny. Otherwise, he'd know most of SDSU's passes were off play action. When the Aztecs were faking a hand off to him, they liked Penny up as a WR. 

Not utilized my rear end. Nystrom underutilized his internet. 

Key words, "long haul", not one game or two.  There simply isn't enough data for Penny against good competition.  You can't compare his conference to the Big 10.
So you're dodging Barkley's performances like 51 yards vs GA State because?

So you're dodging Barkley's performances like 51 yards vs GA State because?
Not sure why you keep bringing up that game. Not exactly the game I’d hang my hat on to show Barkley can suck too. He played a little over a half, only had 10 carries and had almost 200 total yards in that half. Next time pick the Rutgers game.

I seem to remember Donald Brown leading the nation in rushing too playing a very weak schedule.  I like Penny and would probably take him as the 5th or 6th RB behind Barkley, Guice, Michel, Jones and maybe Johnson, but I'm not ignoring his inflated college stats.

Being bad at something you rarely practice and aren't really require to do in the scheme is far from a red flag. Especially a skill most players at his position don't have until they get to the NFL. 
From what I've read, it's not on par with the most college RBs - effort and technique are bad.  And it does matter, ask Derrick Henry owners.

:rolleyes:  Calm down there kiddo. 

Regardless of what the reason is or sample size, he has not demonstrated good pass protection. Also, I didn’t say it was a red flag but it is (obviously) a negative. How much weight you want to give college pass blocking skills up to you. Those were simply my observations.

Perhaps going forward you can post your own breakdowns and observations of players then discuss things instead of claiming that other people are lazy or don’t know something. Also, you’re new to the board so maybe at least try to have an adult conversation to start. 

If you want to ignore Penny's competition that is your prerogative.  I'm not saying to ignore his stats (of any kind) totally, but you do have to keep it in perspective with regards to this competition over the course of the entire season.
If you face a lower level of competition, completely dominating them is still a suggestion of a high level of skill. David Johnson comes to mind. It’s not the end all, be all. I know Penny tied the consecutive game 200 yd rushing game streak this year and on that list was Dickerson, Sanders and some dude I had forgotten about from North Texas. The fact that his complete dominance comes with a suggestion of high level athleticism (judging by the 40 and speed score,I sure hope we get a 3 cone out of him at some point) is a very good sign. 

Regardless of what the reason is or sample size, he has not demonstrated good pass protection. Also, I didn’t say it was a red flag but it is (obviously) a negative. How much weight you want to give college pass blocking skills up to you. Those were simply my observations.

Perhaps going forward you can post your own breakdowns and observations of players then discuss things instead of claiming that other people are lazy or don’t know something. Also, you’re new to the board so maybe at least try to have an adult conversation to start. 

There’s also a huge difference in being willing and making strong attempts (likely a judgment and/or technique flaw) and making little or no attempt to block (potentially a much larger issue).  It’s definitely worth noting, and how much value it carries depends obviously to each person.

If you face a lower level of competition, completely dominating them is still a suggestion of a high level of skill. David Johnson comes to mind. It’s not the end all, be all. I know Penny tied the consecutive game 200 yd rushing game streak this year and on that list was Dickerson, Sanders and some dude I had forgotten about from North Texas. The fact that his complete dominance comes with a suggestion of high level athleticism (judging by the 40 and speed score,I sure hope we get a 3 cone out of him at some point) is a very good sign. 
Didn't I say it was just one variable to consider?

I’m still hoping he falls to me! Jones, Michel or Penny......one of these three will fall. Now, if the Patriots draft Hurst (or a TE in general) that’s the only thing that will cause me to pause. I’m currently trying to acquire the 1.4 pick which would make my life so much easier.

Tex

I agree that he belongs in that tier group of Sony, Guice and Chubb.

I understand that the author is using the college numbers compared to Barkley to illustrate his point but I think Penny has strong enough tape that he didn’t need to do that. I think that ends up putting the wrong spin on the article. But this is a player thread not a article writing thread and I think the point stands that Penny should be considered with those other “1b” guys. 

Not sure why you keep bringing up that game. Not exactly the game I’d hang my hat on to show Barkley can suck too. He played a little over a half, only had 10 carries and had almost 200 total yards in that half. Next time pick the Rutgers game.
Because, if someone wants to bring in quality of competition, then that person needs to be consistent 

Oh...look somebody can't stand on their own merit so it has to resort to ad hom from last century like kid and son

Do you even realize in the NFL, RBs are left to block in only 20% of all pass plays? No.

How many RBs come out of college with a large sample size of good pass blocking. Let's start with that. I'd like to assess your baseline of knowledge so I can speak to that rather than say things you will never understand 

I seem to remember Donald Brown leading the nation in rushing too playing a very weak schedule.  I like Penny and would probably take him as the 5th or 6th RB behind Barkley, Guice, Michel, Jones and maybe Johnson, but I'm not ignoring his inflated college stats.
What were his measurables again?

Do you remmeber a guy named Hunt dominating a worse conference in 2016?

Gee, I wonder what happened to him 

What were his measurables again?

Do you remmeber a guy named Hunt dominating a worse conference in 2016?

Gee, I wonder what happened to him 
Again, I like Penny, but I have him as the 5th or 6th RB.  I think you have to consider drafting Barkley, Guice, Michel, and Jones before him unless the draft dictates otherwise.

From what I've read, it's not on par with the most college RBs - effort and technique are bad.  And it does matter, ask Derrick Henry owners.
The effort is there.

The technique is terrible 

He is a below avg college pass blocker which is his biggest weakness. 

I don't know why some people say effort isn't there. That's a character flaw Penny doesn't have if you read what his coaches and teammates say about him.

SDSU rarely used him to block since its pass game is based on play action. They run a pro set where the back up RB broke 1,000 yards something like 4 out of the last 6 seasons. That should tell you why they did not teach him to pass block much with limited practice time and his value as a WR and a decoy in the passing game.

Again, I like Penny, but I have him as the 5th or 6th RB.  I think you have to consider drafting Barkley, Guice, Michel, and Jones before him unless the draft dictates otherwise.
I'd love to have Barkely but the Browns have  a better chance at 16-0 than my Bucs do to acquire him.

I do think Penny is the 2nd best RB in the draft. He brings value even if he takes a year or two to pass block due to his running ability and his special teams play. This kid is a special kick returner. Ties the NCAA record for kick off returns and scores a TD on his first career punt return. 

BucsRule said:
I'd love to have Barkely but the Browns have  a better chance at 16-0 than my Bucs do to acquire him.

I do think Penny is the 2nd best RB in the draft. He brings value even if he takes a year or two to pass block due to his running ability and his special teams play. This kid is a special kick returner. Ties the NCAA record for kick off returns and scores a TD on his first career punt return. 
Unfortunately return yds and tds won't help most leagues.  I have several picks in the 1.5 range, so I'm guessing Penny mightl be on a couple of my dynasty teams.  No way I take him over Guice, Michel, or Jones II unless one or more get saddled with a bad landing spot in the draft.

Unfortunately return yds and tds won't help most leagues.  I have several picks in the 1.5 range, so I'm guessing Penny mightl be on a couple of my dynasty teams.  No way I take him over Guice, Michel, or Jones II unless one or more get saddled with a bad landing spot in the draft.
It only helps in one of my leagues. Once he picks up blocking, his catching skills will make him a good pickup 

What are the odds this guy ever makes it past 1.09, 12 tm ppr?

What landing spots are we thinking are ideal for Penny? Det, Indy, NYG, NYJ, Den?

SDSU rarely used him to block since its pass game is based on play action. They run a pro set where the back up RB broke 1,000 yards something like 4 out of the last 6 seasons. That should tell you why they did not teach him to pass block much...
It should also tell you something about his level of competition.

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein reports besides RB Saquon Barkley, Rashaad Penny "seems to be the RB teams get most excited about."

Penny has taken predraft official visits with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, Los Angeles Rams, Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants so far. Despite the hype on Penny, he only produced an athletic composite score in the 41st percentile and has some serious issues with pass-blocking. Penny excelled as a pure-runner, rushing for 2,248 yards while averaging 7.8 yards-per-carry and 23 touchdowns as a senior at San Diego State. It wouldn't be surprising to see him selected in the late first-round, but in a deep running back class it makes more sense for him to be an early Day 2 selection.

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter 

Apr 15 - 5:39 PM

What scares me most about Penny is the lack of power to his game.  I just don't see him breaking tackles. 

Don't get me wrong.  I love the acceleration, breakaway speed, and the occasional killer jump cuts.  I'll be drafting him if he makes it to 7,8.  I just wonder if this glaring weakness makes him share duties?

An NFL scout told Bob McGinn Football that San Diego State RB Rashaad Penny lacks a "good feel" for the game.

The scout notes that San Diego State's system is designed to pump out gaudy statistical performances from its running backs. Another evaluator told McGinn of the 5-foot-11, 220-pounder, "He runs high. I don’t like his pad level. He’s strong and he’s very fast." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein has likewise noted that Penny tends to carry himself a bit upright. On the more positive side of the evaluating ledger, one scout who spoke with McGinn did praise the Aztecs back for his "great contact balance."

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Apr 24 - 12:31 PM

Users who are viewing this thread