What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, PHI (1 Viewer)

You mean the back who played like a half season in a power 5 and played second fiddle to another back? Let’s not bend narratives and act like Carson has a shiny college pedigree. He’s a small sample size Cinderella. I got lucky myself and was ahead of the curve on Carson last year, so I’m not trying to hate on him. Just blanket dismissing Penny’s accomplishment because he went to SDSU? Well, David Johnson, Marshall Faulk, LT2 and Matt Forte say hi.

Here’s an interesting little tidbit this board should remember when wanting to overcompensate for his situation with Donnell Pumphrey too:

”Before LaDainian Tomlinson became an NFL star, he was running roughshod over WAC defenses. During his freshman season, Tomlinson was eased into action in a platoon with Basil Mitchell. As a sophomore, Patrick Batteaux was also sharing substantial carries in the TCU backfield. By 1999, however, the Horned Frogs had made Tomlinson the focus of their offense.”
Im not bending anything.  all i am saying is, from CC point of view is that stat means jack ####.  it would mean a little more than jack #### if it were power 5.  does it translate to elusiveness? sure.  is elusiveness measurable?  no, unless you call making un-equal players "miss".  
Im a hawks fan, this has nothing to do with fantasy points.  I fully expect CC to make it very tough on Penny to be the #1 opening day.  If he is, (penny), it can only be good for the hawks.  Ill keep it real though, and not take some mountain west stats to the bank

I'm curious how do you grade Fluker as a run blocker?

I recall in recent discussion with JWB who is a Charges fan the subject of San Diegos offensive line being poor at run blocking according to multiple sources and that perhaps contributing to Melvin Gordons low yards per carry.

Was Fluker a lone bright spot for run blocking on their offensive line? Or was he just average?

The Seahawks offensive linemen have played poorly for some time now, so it maybe doesn't take more than a average run blocker for it to be an upgrade, I am just wondering what kind of an upgrade does Fluker provide compared to what they had before?
Fluker was a terrible OL while with the Chargers. First off, he was drafted as a RT but performed so poorly at that position that he had to be moved inside to RG beginning with his 3rd season. FWIW, PFF has always graded him as a below average or worse player at his position, whether T or G. That has included always grading him below average in run blocking. Watching all of the Chargers games during his tenure there, I think that is a fair assessment.

The Chargers initially picked up his 5th year option, but then released him after his 4th year when his original rookie contract was up. Then he signed with the Giants, and they let him walk after one year. So in two consecutive offseasons, he has been released by a team with a poor OL. That does not suggest optimism about his ability.

It is true that the Seattle OL has been bad, so it is conceivable that Fluker could serve as a minor upgrade if he remains healthy and plays well (for him). But I will be very surprised if he makes a major positive impact.

I'm curious how do you grade Fluker as a run blocker?

I recall in recent discussion with JWB who is a Charges fan the subject of San Diegos offensive line being poor at run blocking according to multiple sources and that perhaps contributing to Melvin Gordons low yards per carry.

Was Fluker a lone bright spot for run blocking on their offensive line? Or was he just average?

The Seahawks offensive linemen have played poorly for some time now, so it maybe doesn't take more than a average run blocker for it to be an upgrade, I am just wondering what kind of an upgrade does Fluker provide compared to what they had before?

I get the buzz word mauler tends to be related to run blocking, but not always. A guy who has strong hands and once he latches on your going for a ride. He certainly had such a reputation at the college level and as a prospect, I just wonder if that has actually carried over at the NFL level or not, in your opinion.

A few years back I had some people touting Tom Cable as a genius of offensive line coaching and development. Maybe he was at some point, but it does not seem so anymore. Do you see his replacement Mike Solari as an upgrade?

I would agree that the scheme is going to be much the same as reading this I see that Tom Cable basically kept most of the ZBS they were using under Solari in 2008 so it isn't much of a change.

Fluker grades as a 3.5 Run blocking 2.5 pass blocking for an overall grade of 3 (B in grade terms) or "Good." He's better than many starters but not a borderline or former Pro Bowl (3.5) or a Current Pro Bowl (4) or all Pro (4.5). 

Fluker played 2017 on the Giants (was with San Diego in 2016), I could go back through the archives for SD stuff (it seems so far away) but he was a bright spot on a bad Giants line last year. In terms of what they had his size can't be overstated. He's 30 pounds heavier than Ifedi and Odhiambo and 45 pounds heavier than Pocic. Similar to James Carpenter (another Bama prospect) but even more violent in the run game. He's also a veteran not prone to penalties like Ifedi (who could lose his job to George Fant if he can't cut out the flags). 

The Tom Cable question is interesting. He remains a genius and highly paid. He carries a 4.5 grade on my OL coach grades (yes that's a thing). He is creative and can develop UDFA into starters. However, he tinkers with the lineup endlessly and it can hurt the team in the long run. The Seahawks pass protection issues can be traced in some part to having players in unfamiliar positions etc.  Mike Solari won't have to be as creative, Duane Brown just signed a big deal and Fluker is also going nowhere soon. The lineup is firming up. 

As for Cable, he is now with an OAK unit that has 4 out of 5 positions solid and they will hopefully limit his mad science to the long-term RT project (assuming Kolton Miller swaps to LT after this season) and the 2nd team line (Vadal Alexander, Brandon Parker, David Sharpe, Jylan Ware) all need coaching. 

Thanks Matt for the excellent response. So you see Fluker as slightly above average as a run blocker based on his play with the Giants last season and below average in pass protection.

The article I linked suggests that Solari might be better at finding and developing offensive line talent than Cable is based on recent performance of their players. Who were some of the UDFA  players that Cable worked with that developed into starters recently with the Seahawks?

I do recall some talk a few years back about Cable being so good that they purposefully didn't invest much in terms of draft capital in offensive linemen in part because of Cables ability to do that. However their offensive line hasn't produced the results they were looking for obviously and Cable is no longer with the team.

Fluker was a terrible OL while with the Chargers. First off, he was drafted as a RT but performed so poorly at that position that he had to be moved inside to RG beginning with his 3rd season. FWIW, PFF has always graded him as a below average or worse player at his position, whether T or G. That has included always grading him below average in run blocking. Watching all of the Chargers games during his tenure there, I think that is a fair assessment.

The Chargers initially picked up his 5th year option, but then released him after his 4th year when his original rookie contract was up. Then he signed with the Giants, and they let him walk after one year. So in two consecutive offseasons, he has been released by a team with a poor OL. That does not suggest optimism about his ability.

It is true that the Seattle OL has been bad, so it is conceivable that Fluker could serve as a minor upgrade if he remains healthy and plays well (for him). But I will be very surprised if he makes a major positive impact.
Following this up. I had a chance to look at PFF's grades for Fluker, and I overstated things a bit.

Overall, PFF has graded him as below average in 4 of his 5 seasons, with his second season being the only one with a positive grade. That has been more due to pass blocking than run blocking. His pass blocking has been well below average in 4 of his 5 seasons; he was right at average in his second season. His run blocking has been above average in 3 of his 5 seasons, but the trend is a bit strange: slightly above average in first 2 seasons, below average in season 3; worse in season 4; then back to slightly above average in season 5.

On the bright side relating to this thread, Seattle's guards were much worse at run blocking last season, so Fluker should be a significant upgrade for run blocking. And one of Seattle's guards (Pocic) was even worse at pass blocking than Fluker. So at least maybe he won't make Wilson's pass protection (significantly) worse...

IMO the worst sign for Fluker is bolded above.

He's also a veteran not prone to penalties like Ifedi (who could lose his job to George Fant if he can't cut out the flags). 
Well, no one is prone to penalties like Ifedi... he led the league by a huge margin with 19 penalties last season. The next closest was 14. That 19 penalty season might be an all timer, not sure where to find historical data on that.

Fluker had 5 penalties in 446 snaps last season, which scales to 11+ for a full time starter, which really isn't very good, especially for a guard. But I believe he played both guard and tackle last season for the Giants, and I'm not sure where he was playing for those penalties. Also, prior to last season, he played 883+ snaps every season and had 7, 9, 13 (adjusting to guard?), and 6 penalties, respectively. So maybe last season was a bit flukish.

The Tom Cable question is interesting. He remains a genius and highly paid. He carries a 4.5 grade on my OL coach grades (yes that's a thing). He is creative and can develop UDFA into starters. However, he tinkers with the lineup endlessly and it can hurt the team in the long run... 

As for Cable, he is now with an OAK unit that has 4 out of 5 positions solid and they will hopefully limit his mad science to the long-term RT project (assuming Kolton Miller swaps to LT after this season) and the 2nd team line (Vadal Alexander, Brandon Parker, David Sharpe, Jylan Ware) all need coaching. 
IMO Cable is overrated. Can anyone link any articles that provide any quantitative analysis on his performance as OL coach? Have any of the OL he "coached up" sustained success in Seattle or gone on to success elsewhere? I don't think so.

He was also "run game coordinator" in Seattle, and that worked fine as long as Lynch was healthy and productive. Once that stopped, so did any semblance of run game success, despite the fact that Seattle has a great running QB.

As a Chargers fan, I'm perfectly happy that he is the Raiders' OL coach. That should mean that their OL pass protection capability will erode pretty quickly, which fits perfectly with the Chargers' strong pass rush and secondary.

Mike Solari won't have to be as creative
The bad news is that Solari has generally not been good as an OL coach. Article on this: Mike Solari may not be able to fix the red zone rushing issues

Last edited by a moderator:
(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Seattle Seahawks RB Rashaad Penny has "unique" skills for a bigger back, according to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, and Schottenheimer said he has been "blown away" by Penny's ability in pass protection. Analysis: Seattle Seahawks RB Rashaad Penny has "unique" skills for a bigger back, according to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, and Schottenheimer said he has been "blown away" by Penny's ability in pass protection.

Few thoughts on Penny/Carson:

1. I think it's obvious they drafted Penny in the 1st with the plan that he'd be the immediate starter and a major impact guy. Common sense. 

2. That was April/May and things change. Seems like Carson is exceeding expectations (added 10 pounds and got quicker) early and this is a legitimate competition. 

3. The starting job in Seattle is a sneaky good one for fantasy this year. They are going to force-feed carries and passes to the backs. One of these two should emerge with a big enough role to be an RB2 so it is worth focusing in on this battle over the next month. 

Monday Round-Up: Brian Schottenheimer Breaks Down The Seahawks Running Back Competition

Excerpt:

(On Rashaad Penny...) “Again, another good, young back. ... His skill set, his run talent, his ability to come out of the backfield is unique for such a big guy. Most of those scat – he has scat back qualities along with the ability of running in between the tackles. It will be interesting. Everybody wants to see him pass protect, but I’ve been blown away by his ability to, again, diagnose the blitz, see where the blitz is coming from, and track his guy. It’s been outstanding for a young back, one of the best if not the best I’ve ever been around. But then again, now we’re getting into pads where you’ve got to show the ability to get into position, find your guy, strike and keep him away from the quarterback – and it’s early. So we’ll see the film, but very, very pleased with Rashaad and where he’s at right now.”

Few thoughts on Penny/Carson:

1. I think it's obvious they drafted Penny in the 1st with the plan that he'd be the immediate starter and a major impact guy. Common sense. 

2. That was April/May and things change. Seems like Carson is exceeding expectations (added 10 pounds and got quicker) early and this is a legitimate competition. 

3. The starting job in Seattle is a sneaky good one for fantasy this year. They are going to force-feed carries and passes to the backs. One of these two should emerge with a big enough role to be an RB2 so it is worth focusing in on this battle over the next month. 
Agree with nost of this Dan, you are a dynasty guy right? so if you had Penny in dynasty, what would you be willing to trade right now for Carson to get him as insurance? How much of the Carson hype are you believing?

Agree with nost of this Dan, you are a dynasty guy right? so if you had Penny in dynasty, what would you be willing to trade right now for Carson to get him as insurance? How much of the Carson hype are you believing?

I do have Penny on a ton of teams but haven't tried to go grab Carson in any leagues. If it was a league where I felt like I was shallow at RB and counting on Penny to be in my starting lineup every week, I think a future 2nd round pick would be a fair price and cover my bases a little. For now, just sitting tight and seeing how things develop. 

I'm in a 12-team Superflex startup right now and curious to see where Carson goes. Penny went 5.03 and Carson hasn't been selected yet (mid-11th). 

In terms of the Carson hype, I'm not buying into anyone saying this is going to be his backfield and Penny won't have much involvement. Is it possible that Carson is good enough to muddy the picture and make it more of an RBBC this year? That I could see. 

The nice thing about Penny though is that I think he is going to be a good enough receiver that even if he does split carries with Carson, he is going to catch enough passes to be an RB2 in PPR. They've been lining up Penny in the slot and throwing to him a bunch. Especially with Baldwin banged up, there just aren't many good pass-catching options in Seattle and I'm still convinced the projections of Penny catching only 30 passes are way low. 

Pointing out a single outlier is not proof of anything, but it certainly warrants further investigation.  What about the guys ranked #2-5?  What about previous years #1?
https://www.diehards.com/iowa-state/david-montgomery-iowa-state-football-stats-record-for-most-missed-tackles-2017-pro-football-focus

Iowa State running back David Montgomery forced more missed tackles last season than any other player since Pro Football Focus began recording stats for college football in 2014.

Link adds a few more names to college success that may translate to NFL success   Seattle does have a few issues though  Believe I'd wait until David Montgomery makes the League before I'd make much of the stat's correlation

Wooters said:
Based on what exactly?  Penny didn't catch the ball in college.  He had 42 total receptions in 4 years and never a year over 19.  Penny can't touch the jock strap of CJ Prosise and JD McKissic's 3rd down receiving ability.  Both Prosise and McKissic are far better blockers as well.  If Penny doesn't block as well as Prosise or McKissic, and can't catch as well as Prosise and McKissic, how exactly is Penny going to catch the ball or even get on the field?  I don't even want to have the conversation about the level of competition that Penny played against, or the fact that their offense had two TE's and a FB on 93% of SDSU's plays.

I seriously feel that all the Penny lovers out there, only love him because Seattle drafted him in the 1st round...'so he must be good'.  Yeah, as if NFL execs never make mistakes.  I'll tell you one thing, Seattle will rue the day that they took freaking Rashad Penny over Darius Guice.  That doesn't even make any sense whatsoever, even to this day.  If we can admit that Seattle taking Penny over Guice was a giant mistake, and admit that Seattle taking Penny over...oh I don't know...the best available OLineman was a mistake, why is it so hard to believe that Penny will be a bust?  And please you actually metrics to back your position.  All this 'Carroll said that' or 'Seattle drafted him in the 1st round, so he must be good' is just nonsense, and literally means nothing.  
Wow, guess you don’t like Penny...

I think what most of us Penny “fans” think is sure, it seemed like a reach for Seattle to take him as the second RB in the draft and in the first round. And yes, NFL execs make mistakes. But we also aren’t so arrogant that we can’t admit that NFL GM’s and coaches know a heck of a lot more about these guys than we do, so there just might be something to all this.

Wooters said:
Based on what exactly?  Penny didn't catch the ball in college.  He had 42 total receptions in 4 years and never a year over 19.  Penny can't touch the jock strap of CJ Prosise and JD McKissic's 3rd down receiving ability.  Both Prosise and McKissic are far better blockers as well.  If Penny doesn't block as well as Prosise or McKissic, and can't catch as well as Prosise and McKissic, how exactly is Penny going to catch the ball or even get on the field?  I don't even want to have the conversation about the level of competition that Penny played against, or the fact that their offense had two TE's and a FB on 93% of SDSU's plays.

I seriously feel that all the Penny lovers out there, only love him because Seattle drafted him in the 1st round...'so he must be good'.  Yeah, as if NFL execs never make mistakes.  I'll tell you one thing, Seattle will rue the day that they took freaking Rashad Penny over Darius Guice.  That doesn't even make any sense whatsoever, even to this day.  If we can admit that Seattle taking Penny over Guice was a giant mistake, and admit that Seattle taking Penny over...oh I don't know...the best available OLineman was a mistake, why is it so hard to believe that Penny will be a bust?  And please you actually metrics to back your position.  All this 'Carroll said that' or 'Seattle drafted him in the 1st round, so he must be good' is just nonsense, and literally means nothing.  
Go upthread and you’ll see plenty of people that liked penny a lot before he was drafted. You’re making a lot of assumptions and hyperbole, such as he can’t block or catch anywhere close to the level of the other guys, and that prosise and jd are superior talents. Prosise can’t stay healthy. McKissic is a jag. How will he get on the field? Well, this is where draft slot makes a difference. You have a first round pick and you’re going to have him 4th in the depth chart? Even if he sucks that won’t happen, they will give him every opportunity to prove them right. Carson may earn carries and even have the starting job, but I doubt that relegates penny to being an afterthought. 

How do you feel about guice? He had 32 receptions in 3 years, has a real 3rd down threat to steal receptions away. 

The bust potential can’t be ignored, but say penny “can’t touch the jock strap” or that no one liked penny until he was drafted in rd 1 is just useless hyperbole. Barkley could bust. Guice could bust. Any rookie can be a disappointment. Michel could fumble his chances, Chubb could be locked in a timeshare with hyde for a couple years, who knows. You want arguements using actual metrics while you make statements of how well he may block compared to the other backs when you really have no idea how they compare. Plenty of penny love even before he was drafted. 

Go back and read EVERY nfl scout/announcer/face praising the hell out of Penny, during the Senior Bowl.

Pretty sure everyone was saying he'd be the "steal of the draft"

Go upthread and you’ll see plenty of people that liked penny a lot before he was drafted. You’re making a lot of assumptions and hyperbole, such as he can’t block or catch anywhere close to the level of the other guys, and that prosise and jd are superior talents. Prosise can’t stay healthy. McKissic is a jag. How will he get on the field? Well, this is where draft slot makes a difference. You have a first round pick and you’re going to have him 4th in the depth chart? Even if he sucks that won’t happen, they will give him every opportunity to prove them right. Carson may earn carries and even have the starting job, but I doubt that relegates penny to being an afterthought. 

How do you feel about guice? He had 32 receptions in 3 years, has a real 3rd down threat to steal receptions away. 

The bust potential can’t be ignored, but say penny “can’t touch the jock strap” or that no one liked penny until he was drafted in rd 1 is just useless hyperbole. Barkley could bust. Guice could bust. Any rookie can be a disappointment. Michel could fumble his chances, Chubb could be locked in a timeshare with hyde for a couple years, who knows. You want arguements using actual metrics while you make statements of how well he may block compared to the other backs when you really have no idea how they compare. Plenty of penny love even before he was drafted. 
I don’t really want to delve into the draft capital debate and that dudes post was a weak one I didn’t want to touch. I did run into this stat though the other day: 

Since 2000: 84.9% of 1st round RB’s have posted 1 1,000yd season, 4.9% of 7th round RB’s have posted 1 1,000yd season. Link

So even if my argument was strictly draft capital it would be way more correct than acting like Al Bundy on a message board.

Go back and read EVERY nfl scout/announcer/face praising the hell out of Penny, during the Senior Bowl.

Pretty sure everyone was saying he'd be the "steal of the draft"
Yep, Penny had an odd trajectory. The fantasy draftniks were really hot on him early. Many had Penny just below SB and Guice as the top back in the draft. Even they were shocked when he went in the 1st and it kind of messed up what they thought would be a bit of an undervalued fantasy asset. Now I think the draft community has cooled on him a bit- mostly because his draft capital will cause his stock to soar to a maybe unrealistic level.

Reason 1 that I like penny

He was a highly regarded small school prospect.

Thats a bit of a double edged sword for his detractors but the pumphrey comparisons don't bother me in the slightest. 

First, penny outperformed pumphrey when he became starter.  He also got drafted 3 rounds earlier than pumphrey did. 

Second, we really don't know how good pumphrey is at an nfl level - he was stashed on ir before we got to find out how good he was.  He was tearing up mini camp, not as good in pads in pre season, then he got a minor injury and was put on ir.  He bulked up some in the off season - he's now a more acceptable 185 after getting drafted at 175 - and reports are that he looks pretty good out there. 

Third, penny was a monster at the senior bowl.  9 rushes, 64 yards. One reception, 73 yards for a touchdown.  That may have led to the perception that he's a good receiver.  

He's got prototype size and speed for a running back at 5'11" with a 4.46 40 and good agility and vision.

He's a very good prospect.  Not necessarily elite, but very good  There is a bit of backlash right now because he went from sleeper to overrated when he got taken in the first round, but the truth by multiple accounts is that he wouldn't have lasted much longer. 

Reason 2 that I like penny

The Seahawks like him.  A lot.  

Everyone knows that they took him in the first round when they didn't have a second round pick.  That's quite an endorsement. But that's not the part i like. 

The Seahawks built their offense around Marshawn Lynch's physical running. Carroll said that set the tone for everything they wanted to do and set the tone for the defense too. 

Sitting on the board were derrius guice and nick chubb, two highly regarded,  big, physical backs. And the Seahawks needed picks.  They not only drafted penny over both, they supposedly turned down offers for penny after drafting him while those guys were still on the board. 

The Seahawks envision rashaad penny as a three down back. 

I can prove it.  Here's a link from draft day.  You don't even have to click it.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/06/seahawks-envision-rashaad-penny-as-a-three-down-back/

I understand that some of you guys don't see penny as a three down back.  And maybe he doesn't play up to their expectations.  But they definitely envisioned him as a guy they can pair with Wilson to be the core of that offense.  

And despite their meager showing last year - from the fat ghost of Eddie Lacy, journeyman Mike Davis, overachiever Chris Carson and wee jd mckissic behind an injured and undermanned offensive line - the Seahawks have traditionally been a rb friendly offense, they've improved their line and they have committed to improve their running game. 

Reason 2 that I like penny

The Seahawks like him.  A lot.  

Everyone knows that they took him in the first round when they didn't have a second round pick.  That's quite an endorsement. But that's not the part i like. 

The Seahawks built their offense around Marshawn Lynch's physical running. Carroll said that set the tone for everything they wanted to do and set the tone for the defense too. 

Sitting on the board were derrius guice and nick chubb, two highly regarded,  big, physical backs. And the Seahawks needed picks.  They not only drafted penny over both, they supposedly turned down offers for penny after drafting him while those guys were still on the board. 

The Seahawks envision rashaad penny as a three down back. 

I can prove it.  Here's a link from draft day.  You don't even have to click it.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/06/seahawks-envision-rashaad-penny-as-a-three-down-back/

I understand that some of you guys don't see penny as a three down back.  And maybe he doesn't play up to their expectations.  But they definitely envisioned him as a guy they can pair with Wilson to be the core of that offense.  

And despite their meager showing last year - from the fat ghost of Eddie Lacy, journeyman Mike Davis, overachiever Chris Carson and wee jd mckissic behind an injured and undermanned offensive line - the Seahawks have traditionally been a rb friendly offense, they've improved their line and they have committed to improve their running game. 
While I don't disagree with you about the Seahawks opinion of Penny, what the Seahawks built for Marshawn Lynch was ions ago in football terms.  The 'hawks OL sucks right now doesn't it?

While I don't disagree with you about the Seahawks opinion of Penny, what the Seahawks built for Marshawn Lynch was ions ago in football terms.  The 'hawks OL sucks right now doesn't it?
The reason it's relevant isn't because I think they are the same team they used to be, but because the same coaching staff that went out of their way to get lynch - who was underperforming in buffalo and had his heir apparent drafted behind him - drafted penny over other more physical backs. There were a million interviews and articles about how the Seahawks didn't just like lynch because he was good but because his physical style set the tone for the team.  That he was the guythey specifically targeted and in an era when NFL trades didn't happen they traded for lynch. 

So philosophically those guys really value the big physical tone setting running back. 

The same guys were looking at penny, chubb and guice and picked penny. 

That's relevant.  

The offensive line is improved this year it's been discussed a bunch.  There was a very good post on reddit a while back but I don't know if i'll find it. 

It's entirely possible, if not likely, that Penny is as good as many of us hope, but that Carson is simply blowing the doors off. Carson being good doesn't have to be a result of Penny being bad. They could both be good and it could be a legitimate competition. Good problem for the Seahawks to have. Maybe not a good problem for FF.

Dismattle said:
https://www.diehards.com/iowa-state/david-montgomery-iowa-state-football-stats-record-for-most-missed-tackles-2017-pro-football-focus

Iowa State running back David Montgomery forced more missed tackles last season than any other player since Pro Football Focus began recording stats for college football in 2014.

Link adds a few more names to college success that may translate to NFL success   Seattle does have a few issues though  Believe I'd wait until David Montgomery makes the League before I'd make much of the stat's correlation
What Steve Palazzolo of PFF thinks of David Montgomery

It’s clear the PFF guys weigh their elusiveness rating HEAVILY into RB’s. It is not some arbitrary, useless or random metric as was suggested earlier. They aren’t always correct but their process is 99.9% better than most of us. 

It's entirely possible, if not likely, that Penny is as good as many of us hope, but that Carson is simply blowing the doors off. Carson being good doesn't have to be a result of Penny being bad. They could both be good and it could be a legitimate competition. Good problem for the Seahawks to have. Maybe not a good problem for FF.
It's also very possible that Carson was the hard worker who earned his way up the depth chart while Eddie Lacy got the starting job and the team and locker room was rooting for him and watched him do pretty well with a handful of touches each week, and then when he finally got a start he looked pretty good and everyone was excited for him and then he got seriously hurt and it looked like his career was completely derailed.

So even though the team knew the running game was their biggest area of need and traded down from their only early pick to get a running back, but didn't want to risk dropping back further than 18th to make sure they got their favorite guy, they realize that Carson is a real human being who worked his tail off to come back and you don't tell the team sorry you get hurt you lose your job. 

So they give him first crack at the job, he looks good and they talk him up for his running and special teams skills, and that's exactly where he'll end up - as a change of pace and special teams guy - but not until penny clearly earns it.  

Because even though they preach competition they still have an idea how things will work out, and as good as Carson has looked, he hasn't really looked better than everybody in this class - he's looked good enough to earn the incumbent role and hold off the rookie as long as he can. 

"He weighed in this week at 236, 236 pounds running like that and he can catch the football and all that as well," Carroll said. "He’s a really, really exciting addition to this club. Really exciting.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-rookie-rb-rashaad-penny-rounding-form

Penny weighed in at 220lbs at the combine.... 16lbs in six months is somewhat concerning right?
3 really's seems like too many.  Feels like buyers remorse to me.

"He weighed in this week at 236, 236 pounds running like that and he can catch the football and all that as well," Carroll said. "He’s a really, really exciting addition to this club. Really exciting.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-rookie-rb-rashaad-penny-rounding-form

Penny weighed in at 220lbs at the combine.... 16lbs in six months is somewhat concerning right?
some in here would say 16 pounds in 6 months is impossible 

3 really's seems like too many.  Feels like buyers remorse to me.
Lol, this is to the point of hilarity. You guys jump all over Carson’s nuts over Carroll’s words but he says good things about Penny and it’s “buyers remorse”. Sure thing.

Rashaad Penny - RB -  Seahawks

Seahawks OC Brian Schottenheimer said first-rounder Rashaad Penny continues to show improvement in pass protection.

"I’ll tell you what, he’s really smart with all of the blitz pickups," Schotty said. "He sees things really well. It’s just the technique stuff that he’s got to get better with. Again, it’s just a whole different animal once you find your guy, then you’ve got to be able to go move your feet, get into position, kind of take away his inside strike. There’s an art to it, and unfortunately it’s hard to practice that until you get pads on so I will say again, from a ‘knowing who he has’ (standpoint), he’s been doing great." Penny continues to work as the No. 2 back in camp, but the best way to get coaches to put you into the game is to get a handle on pass pro so they can trust you protecting the QB. Penny is going to have an immediate role; the question is just how much of one at the start of the year.

Source: Seattle Times

Aug 13 - 8:36 PM

Users who are viewing this thread