What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Fastpitch Dads/Coaches here (3 Viewers)

How on earth can I help my daughter break in her catchers mitt?  3 years of on and off use (and random beatings by her little brother and I) have not done a thing.  She has a pitcher on her 12u team that brings the heat, so I would love to see her use it.  Nokona TNCMFP for what it's worth... I am thinking that it is just the glove and that maybe we should give up on it.  It's hard to find moderately priced catcher mitts for a lefty though.  
Not sure how good it works, but ****'s steams gloves for a modest cost. 

How on earth can I help my daughter break in her catchers mitt?  3 years of on and off use (and random beatings by her little brother and I) have not done a thing.  She has a pitcher on her 12u team that brings the heat, so I would love to see her use it.  Nokona TNCMFP for what it's worth... I am thinking that it is just the glove and that maybe we should give up on it.  It's hard to find moderately priced catcher mitts for a lefty though.  
first - what size is it.  It may be too big for her.

Second ##### steaming works great.

third - make sure you oil/condition it.   That helps with the break in process.

funny this was updated.   

major drama going on.   

I'm still on my town softball board even though I coach a club team.

The president is a jerkoff and does things his way.

I've dedicated 8 years of my life to that place and he's now trying to pull practice fields from us because my daughter isn't "in the program".  Trying to state a town code about kids % on the team.  Which is an actual "rule" but no one follows it.

Total **** move.  We are still battling but we are probably going to have to look for a field ...

Barbasol, lots of Barbasol.  Also, assuming the pitcher(s) takes lessons, have her ask to go and catch her or see if she can take the glove for whoever does catch her to use.  Lotta catching reps in a short amount of time.  

Having a great season so far...

Had the greatest win of my short coaching career - Put the girls all where they wanted to play, tiny young girl wanted 3rd and short - YOU GOT IT!!!! - Pitched 2 girls who never pitched in a game before.........Down 10-1 after 2 innings - Won 15-10!!!!!!!

Girl is pitching as good as can be...... She tantalizes batters with her slowness.....lol

Racking up some nice innings with travel ball - I estimate she threw 200 pitches one weekend.... Nothing beats getting that work in....

Got our 1st Tournament in 2 weeks plus playoffs in Travel and Rec!!!!!!

THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!

Took 1st place coaching my kids rec team... Heading to the Playoffs and beyond.....

Also have our 1st "Tournament" for Travel.... So I'm sure everyone else knows what I'm in for more than I do.

3 Games Saturday - Seeding for Sunday - Rec Playoff game late Sunday.....  

SIX GAMES??????   I'm tired already, I hope she handles it well... 

She's still pitching "great" but, every time we face another travel team I prepare myself for the worst. So far only 1 Travel team we faced was on a different level and I wanted to age check the girls... We faced 2 other teams and I was little surprised they weren't better - Again, as we all see, "better" mostly means a great pitcher. the rest kinda falls into place.

We'll see what these Tourney teams look like...  Had the time of my life Coaching these girls, Jealous of ppl who get to do this all the time But, I'm exhausted and can't wait for November!!!!!!!

But, this is it for me...... It's all on the line..... I'll probably cry if we win it all...LOL

THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!

But, this is it for me...... It's all on the line..... I'll probably cry if we win it all...LOL
Good luck to you and the team!  Enjoy it while it lasts!  Tiring, but definitely worth it in the end.  ?

Tomorrow is state playoffs.  Daughter's team is seeded 10th out 16 that made state playoffs.  Team is not good enough to win it all unless their bats get super hot but hopefully we can win the first round and then give the 2nd ranked team a good game.  If the 2nd ranked team loses it is game on. Two wins tomorrow would be awesome,  just making it to semis would be great.  team has 2 freshman and 5 sophomores starting on it so next two years is our hope for state.

Also first real contact from a college with my older daughter , the one playing in state.  I think being able to look up stats online and have them be "independent " has helped  raising interest in her.  Exciting times.

I am thoroughly confused by your guys schedules. State playoffs? Rec playoffs?

Our fall is like spring training.  We will play 5 to 6 tournaments.  Our town team plays like 10 games. No playoffs....

Eta: Our High school doesn't even play in the fall. Must be regional

Last edited by a moderator:
Colorado is one of the few states that has a fall High school Season for softball.  After this weekend club teams will start practicing again and we will have tournaments until early November.   Practice indoors over the holidays,  out of state tournaments February,  in state zones start in March. 

Colorado is one of the few states that has a fall High school Season for softball.  After this weekend club teams will start practicing again and we will have tournaments until early November.   Practice indoors over the holidays,  out of state tournaments February,  in state zones start in March. 
So is Spring/Summer - high school again or just club ball?   

I'm just curious.  As its completely "backwards" to our schedule :)

So is Spring/Summer - high school again or is club ball?   

I'm just curious.  As its completely "backwards" to our schedule :)
High School starts early August and ends mid October.  Rest of the year is whatever the club team wants to do. The most aggressive teams in these parts play 15 to 20 tournaments Usually 2 to 3 late fall the rest starting in late winter to mid july.

It's 10u......   

It's all new to me so, I Still freak out....  I hope, very soon, to be a spectator and not a coach and my goal is to be one of those dads off in right field with a chair and ear buds.... 
Don't forget the cooler full of "cold sodas".......hahahaha

I am thoroughly confused by your guys schedules. State playoffs? Rec playoffs?

Our fall is like spring training.  We will play 5 to 6 tournaments.  Our town team plays like 10 games. No playoffs....

Eta: Our High school doesn't even play in the fall. Must be regional
I'm talking 10u.... So probably a Newbie compared to you guys...

I'm the epitome of Daddy ball. We play Spring Rec and Fall Rec.  So, to me as a guy who is only a Daddy-Coach and may never do it again,

This Championship means EVERYTHING.....LOL

Then she also plays her 1st year of Travel ball.... So, this is our 1st Tournament every this weekend... And of course all of it comes on the same weekend.. Tourney / Rec Playoffs..

My 8 yr old is playing softball for the first time and loves it, so I'll probably be a regular in this thread for the next few years.  

Have you guys found that the more expensive bats are significantly better than the entry level bats?  My girl is swinging a $29.99 special, but since she is so addicted to playing and going to the cages etc., I'm willing to ante up if it's worth it.  And I'm guessing the expensive bats are likely much better.  

My 8 yr old is playing softball for the first time and loves it, so I'll probably be a regular in this thread for the next few years.  

Have you guys found that the more expensive bats are significantly better than the entry level bats?  My girl is swinging a $29.99 special, but since she is so addicted to playing and going to the cages etc., I'm willing to ante up if it's worth it.  And I'm guessing the expensive bats are likely much better.  
at her age?  No

I upgraded my bat when she moved to 10u travel at age 9-10.   Short answer is - yes there is a difference*.   

*Only if she is swinging "correctly" and hitting the ball well.  

Its like a guy that has a ####ty golf swing buys a $400 driver and still sucks. :)  

In all seriousness, until she can consistently hit the ball with some power it won't matter.

Also pro tip.  Just like golf clubs. Always buy a year older model.   I just got my daughter a Demarini cfx for 140  vs the 350 regular price

at her age?  No

I upgraded my bat when she moved to 10u travel at age 9-10.   Short answer is - yes there is a difference*.   

*Only if she is swinging correctly and hitting the ball well.  

Its like a guy that has a ####ty golf swing buys a $400 driver and still sucks. :)  

In all seriousness, until she can consistently hit the ball with some power it won't matter.

Also pro tip.  Just like golf clubs. Always buy a year older model.   I just got my daughter a Demarini cfx for 140  vs the 350 regular price
Yep - I'll probably wait until spring to upgrade and when I do I'll buy an older model to save duckets.  

Thanks for the feedback belljr.  

Yep - I'll probably wait until spring to upgrade and when I do I'll buy an older model to save duckets.  

Thanks for the feedback belljr.  
They have "mid tier"  bats also.

You have your old "aluminum", some hybrids and composites.  The composites are your really good bats.

When my daughter was 9 she was hitting the ball really well and still using a "regular" bat.

When she turned 10 i bought an entry level composite bat.

Now we buy the good stuff at age 13 :)

our bats last anywhere between 1-3 years but we were in the growth spurt window so the only reason she has 2 extra bats is she moved up in sizes.

Also - we have a cage/cold practice bat and regular.   You don't want to be hitting machine balls/heavy balls or hit in the cold with composite bats - unless you have spares :)

at her age?  No

*Only if she is swinging "correctly" and hitting the ball well.  

As someone who bought the Wrong Bat for $100.... And then Found THE bat that I see most kids using...   We just got a Demarini Vendetta The 2017 model Was on sale on the site for $139 Normally $199  https://www.demarini.com/en-us/bats/fastpitch-bats/2017-vendetta-12-fastpitch-bat-128530

It made a difference for her - Mostly because the old Demarini Bustos bat was an inch longer (same weight) and not a composite....It was also weighted funny - more weight at the end so IMO it put a loop in her swing

Changing to (same weight) inch shorter and evenly weighted helped....

So, Make your kid swing a ####ty long bat for a few months then she'll love a good bat ; ) 

As long as your kid isn't Tiny I'd be looking at that Vendetta 29'' bat for Christmas or before Spring ball and start her off right.

If she's tiny You can save it and let her swing just about anything smaller and lighter for a little.....

I think it's more size of the girl than Age... If She can swing that 29'' and your gonna buy it anyway why buy something cheaper or let her swing something inferior

ETA - I thought I read she was 9...... yeah, If she's 8 and not a Big girl you might just wait.

@Jaysus

The catchers all have this bag

https://www.boombah.com/us/product.html?item=94333

The bag is awesome. We have 3 bats. Her catchers gear including helmet. Her batting helmet. Her fielder glove and mask. Sunglasses and little odds and ends. (batting gloves, tape, inhaler, headbands etc).     Once you figure out the best way to fit it it is great

Not sure if I should post but this is my favorite pic from when she was 11

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP3Ip21S18b_mlGOHV68EQT_z0WFGBXqwSVPJKEtsAcZWX2lD-nYlRnGoEIkB0k0Q/photo/AF1QipOy38GLj9SLx48UzrxLylUHlhMLIQkQ1yEyvZS4?key=OXh1dEd2LVpneHVmV1E4NlRuSWlyaHVOeGVpWWZ3

:)
Helluva play.  Is that Austin Hedges?  

Slight off topic but I like the posting group here and hope to get a good answer.  Both my son's play travel basketball.  They both play their last tourney games this sunday at the same time.  I help coach them both and new going in there would be overlap.  Didn't expect it to be for their last games.  I am going with the older son as I do more to help that team.  Is there something I could give the younger son's team?  Maybe a small box of candy or other treat of some sort? 

Worst part is that their last practice is tonight and it will probably be cancelled due to snow.

Thanks for any input.

Dino

We had a dad on our team last year - He was a High School Football Coach.... He had his lawn chair and he'd just sit there and barely move.

I was like Dude, you are the perfect parent..... World is BURNING, Walks and Runs Raining from the sky on his kid and the guy claps every once in while..

Guy was a ROCK......

Not me.
I'm a high school baseball and football coach, and this is me.  I stay far away from the travel baseball parents when I go to my son's games.  It's for my peace of mind and so the other parent's don't talk to me.  No offense, but most parents no nothing about baseball, especially those that played.  I look at it like this, just because I had accounting in high school doesn't make me an accountant.  

My son's, I've got 3 that play or played, can never say that I embarrassed them at a game because of my behavior so our trips home from the park are quite pleasant.

My 9 year old is starting her first season of 10u fast pitch soon. She's played 4 seasons of tball and 6 seasons of 8u coach pitch. We went to a scrimmage last weekend for a bunch of girls in the league. Felt bad for one girl that got hit both times she was up to bat. Pretty sure she was new to fast pitch. Lots of tears and I imagine she may be having second thoughts about playing. My daughter seems good to go and I'm looking forward to see her grow at this next level.

My 9 year old is starting her first season of 10u fast pitch soon. She's played 4 seasons of tball and 6 seasons of 8u coach pitch. We went to a scrimmage last weekend for a bunch of girls in the league. Felt bad for one girl that got hit both times she was up to bat. Pretty sure she was new to fast pitch. Lots of tears and I imagine she may be having second thoughts about playing. My daughter seems good to go and I'm looking forward to see her grow at this next level.
one of our first 10u practices a few years back was almost entirely dedicated to throwing bean balls at girls to teach them the right way to get out of the way.

P.S. we used wiffle balls ;)  

one of our first 10u practices a few years back was almost entirely dedicated to throwing bean balls at girls to teach them the right way to get out of the way.

P.S. we used wiffle balls ;)  
That is an excellent idea  :thumbup:  wish I thought of that when I was coaching little ones 

Gotta believe it's still the Ghost.. But I could be wrong.. My daughter (HS) has the Demarini CFX
My daughter has a CFX too.  I picked up a CFX and and an LXT for the team last year I think so was kind of thinking about a Ghost this year, but I figured I better check in here first.  :thumbup:

Any other recommendations?   I've read some good things about the Mizuno Power Carbon on DFP but a lot of it seems to be from a guy selling them.  Anyone have any experience with that bat? 

My daughter's team pretty much all have LXT's, she's been happy with it :shrug:  

Regarding Mizuno, she used one a couple years ago but it cracked on her after about 6 months so we stay away from Mizuno now. 

My daughter's team pretty much all have LXT's, she's been happy with it :shrug:  

Regarding Mizuno, she used one a couple years ago but it cracked on her after about 6 months so we stay away from Mizuno now. 
That should have been replaced for free, right?

Just popping in to ibrag.

Little belljr has gone legit yard 3 times this year :)    Shes really smoking the ball.  SS is still hot and cold due to playing time at SS.  

On a whole our team is pretty good but we need another pitcher.

Our indoor facility is going out of business this summer :unsure:   no idea what we are going to do.

Only 2 months left --- it goes quick

3 high school games left for my Freshman.  It's cool to pitch on a regular basis, but being the only pitcher gets to be a bit much for her at times....especially when makeup games start piling up. Can't wait for the Summer season. 

Just popping in to ibrag.

Little belljr has gone legit yard 3 times this year :)    Shes really smoking the ball. 
conversely, my daughter has completely forgotten how to swing.  Her stance is ugly, her actual swing is bad, and she is relying on pitchers walking her.  She has one hit all season, but is somehow leading the team in quality at-bats.  I no longer take any stock in that stat.  lol

conversely, my daughter has completely forgotten how to swing.  Her stance is ugly, her actual swing is bad, and she is relying on pitchers walking her.  She has one hit all season, but is somehow leading the team in quality at-bats.  I no longer take any stock in that stat.  lol
:lol:   my daughter avg is not "great"   but her on  base is super high.  PLUS HOME RUNS :lol:

I'm hoping the swing carries into high school next year.   Her practice swing is usually way better than games lol

Gotta believe it's still the Ghost.. But I could be wrong.. My daughter (HS) has the Demarini CFX
Just FYI everybody, there are two versions of the the Ghost.  One is legal for high school play, one is not.  Found this out the hard way at a tourney this weekend.  Now the proud owner of a $300 paperweight.   :doh:

Just FYI everybody, there are two versions of the the Ghost.  One is legal for high school play, one is not.  Found this out the hard way at a tourney this weekend.  Now the proud owner of a $300 paperweight.   :doh:
You got the gold one?

Size?

And bTW is completely stupid the gold one is not legal for HS.   The blue one has more bounce and that is why it was not USSSA approved originally....  But they never bothered stamping the gold with NFHS - so dumb.

You got the gold one?

Size?

And bTW is completely stupid the gold one is not legal for HS.   The blue one has more bounce and that is why it was not USSSA approved originally....  But they never bothered stamping the gold with NFHS - so dumb.
Yes, we got the gold one.  33/23 

Ordered it from the outfit we order all our high school equipment from so never even thought to check the stamps.  I'm hoping they will at least give us some credit on it.  Got pulled in a tourney game after being challenged by a team who had had their's pulled the game before.

Yes, we got the gold one.  33/23 

Ordered it from the outfit we order all our high school equipment from so never even thought to check the stamps.  I'm hoping they will at least give us some credit on it.  Got pulled in a tourney game after being challenged by a team who had had their's pulled the game before.
Yeah we had a kid using the Blue one in USSSA.    We didnt even care but the ump heard one of our kids say something and they tossed her.  We were up 14-0 lol.  We tried to allow it but the ump said sorry not your call.

Users who are viewing this thread