What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL - Position Updates 3/6 (1 Viewer)

Sounds like Chaisson, JAX, will get his current LB designation changed to DE and play a lot opposite Allen in MFL. This is according to Davenport in his latest podcast. This gives him a slight bump, although I’m still not sold on him to make big splash this season. What does everyone think about his long term (dynasty) outlook?
For me, it would move him up to rookie DE2 behind only Young.  Quite a bit behind, but there doesn't seem to be much separating Epenesa, Gross-Matos, and Chaisson, so his early opportunity makes him #2 for me.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Update on position changes. After some discussion, it appears we're going to hold until after final roster cuts to make the last pass. There's only a handful of players on the list right now and only one (Kazee) has ever been even remotely #IDP-relevant.
Gary Davenport on Twitter

Great news!
its great news if you own him, but it's poor process overall.

We will have players from the same role im the same defense playing on different fantasy positions. Its not an inseason move with positions locked; he will deliberately not be changed im the last changes on MFL. Either all 3-4 Edges are DEs or its just chaos and value of players depending on the mood of one inconsistent person.

Kind of had enough of paying 80 bucks per league for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
its great news if you own him, but it's poor process overall.

We will have players from the same role im the same defense playing on different fantasy positions. Its not an inseason move with positions locked; he will deliberately not be changed im the last changes on MFL. Either all 3-4 Edges are DEs or its just chaos and value of players depending on the mood of one inconsistent person.

Kind of had enough of paying 80 bucks per league for that.
That is poor process. I'm new at this and am already disliking the formats without the EDGE designation, which seems to be a truer way to do it. But that's at first novice glance. 

it would be better you are right, a majority agrees on that i think. But as long as myfantasyleague.com doesn't switch, it will be a headache, because that's where most serious idp leagues are hosted.

I think it may be better to worry about being consistent over being right.  By that I mean two guys on the same team playing the same position should not be listed with different designations.  Pick one for both of them and that would be better than being half right.  

As long as everyone in the league knows that a player is designated at a position and that doesn't change after you draft them then it is fair for everyone.  You can plan your draft and construct your team.  That is fair.  Changing after the fact is not fair.

It has to be tough... it should probably be based on snaps at each position, but we only know those in hindsight.  There's so much coaching, scheme, and personnel turnover every offseason that whoever sets it is going to have to just make some guesses.

https://twitter.com/TomKislingbury/status/1299795698137915392  and https://twitter.com/TomKislingbury/status/1280855832339587073 are good examples of how complex this crap is.

https://twitter.com/TomKislingbury/status/1291776436504756224/photo/1  

• Derwin James is an LB.
  • Landon Collins plays more snaps at LB than at either SS or FS, but less than at both combined.
  • Tyrann Mathieu is a slot CB.
It's all a big mess.  I don't think Sharks is doing any worse of a job than anyone else has or would.

Alignment causes problems, too, because some conflate alignment with role. The biggest problem in this vein is OLB vs DE. I.e., PFF charts John Simon's snaps as OLB snaps. Everything I've watched and read from folks who follow the Patriots closely and know football better than I do tell me Simon's role is defensive end. PFF charts some nominal 4-3 ends with more OLB snaps than some nominal 3-4 OLBs. It's splitting hairs.

Y'all might have seen these  PFF "job" openings posted on Twitter. No skills necessary. The only ability needed is availability - 10-12 hours on a Sunday night to pore over tape and chart plays.

The result is akin to changing tight ends' position designations between WR and TE based on how often they do or don't cover the tackle in offensive formations. If a platform changed Mike Gesicki from TE to WR as Kislingbury seems to suggest, there would be a riot.

The problem, noted by Tonato, is consistency. You didn't have to like Rotoworld's approach, but it was systematic, efficient, and predictable. Rotoworld prolly stepped away at the right time given all the hybrid and multiple-front teams. Fantasy Sharks are simply letting position designations atrophy as a system. Davenport basically told us he's afraid to take action on Clowney. The result is multiple players competing for the same roles in real football with disparate position designations in fake football.

The uncertainty and unpredictability are killing IDP values in dynasty and turning off folks who aren't complete degenerates like me from participating in IDP leagues. 

One thing that Rotoworld was also better at is the backend of the depth chart. Their DC were consistent even for the backups. and the backups of the backups. You wouldn't have a 250 lbs Attaochu at DE designation taking over for LB Von Miller.

The following player position changes will be made on Tuesday, Sept 8th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the FantasySharks.com depth charts:

ATL: Damontae Kazee from CB to S

CIN: Christian Covington from DE to DT

JAX: K'Lavon Chaisson from LB to DE

JAX: Abry Jones from DE to DT

JAX: Al Woods from DE to DT

SEA: D.J. Reed from CB to S

TEN: Isaiah Mack from DT to DE

The following player position changes will be made on Tuesday, Sept 8th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the FantasySharks.com depth charts:

ATL: Damontae Kazee from CB to S

CIN: Christian Covington from DE to DT

JAX: K'Lavon Chaisson from LB to DE

JAX: Abry Jones from DE to DT

JAX: Al Woods from DE to DT

SEA: D.J. Reed from CB to S

TEN: Isaiah Mack from DT to DE
Where the hell is Brian Burns and the Carolina 4-3?

:lol:

We had already moved Chaisson. And Burns.

Also letting Shaq Mason and Clowney stay at DE, and Jeremy Chinn stay at S until game confirmation.

Spoke with Davenport yesterday...  he thought Brian Burns had already been moved to DE in the system.

I dont see him mentioned in this thread, the MFL update listings and he was a LB until mybkeague manually changed him the other day to DL (along with Chaisson, before MFL did it). Do other people see him at DL or LB?

Spoke with Davenport yesterday...  he thought Brian Burns had already been moved to DE in the system.

I dont see him mentioned in this thread, the MFL update listings and he was a LB until mybkeague manually changed him the other day to DL (along with Chaisson, before MFL did it). Do other people see him at DL or LB?
Burns, Brian CAR DE

Ty, ty

What date was that update?

Having trouble finding it.
Unsure.  Looking through the tabs on MFL (under 'News'/'What's New') I can see previously updated positional changes going back to February but I do not see a specific listing with a positional change for Burns listed.  In an Excel doc I keep with my own player rankings, I do have Burns listed as a DE.  I updated that doc about a month ago, so he's been at DE at least that long (I believe). ??

He is listed as co-starter at ROLB.

Also been sitting in with the LB meetings for over a week.
Spoke to one of the Charlotte Observer writers who covers the Panthers today. Asked him about Chinn starting at LB and his response was this: 'Don't get caught up in him starting at LB today. The Panthers plan to move him all over the field and use him like a utility infielder in baseball this season. He will play SS and be put in other spots as well.'

I think we'd all appreciate if you'd pass this along to Gary Davenport. Thanks!

The games themselves will give us all an exacting picture in the next couple weeks.

Spoke to one of the Charlotte Observer writers who covers the Panthers today. Asked him about Chinn starting at LB and his response was this: 'Don't get caught up in him starting at LB today. The Panthers plan to move him all over the field and use him like a utility infielder in baseball this season. He will play SS and be put in other spots as well.'

I think we'd all appreciate if you'd pass this along to Gary Davenport. Thanks!
He played most of the game at LB, though, right? 

Making him a "must start" at DB when you have to start 2 of them?  If so, over L Collins or Poyer?
Depends if you want floor or upside and the scoring system.   I think Poyer has a good shot at a pic with Fitzmagic but won't get the tackles of Collins vs Arizona.

Gally said:
Depends if you want floor or upside and the scoring system.   I think Poyer has a good shot at a pic with Fitzmagic but won't get the tackles of Collins vs Arizona.
basic scoring (point per tackle, half point per half tackle - 3 points for pretty much any "special" defensive stat like sack, int, FF).  It just feels like starting a LB at DB in a league where you start 2 dl, 2 lb, and 2 dbs is something you have to take advantage of.  Don't want to bench Collins (as I'm a Washington fan, and will be watching the game). 

basic scoring (point per tackle, half point per half tackle - 3 points for pretty much any "special" defensive stat like sack, int, FF).  It just feels like starting a LB at DB in a league where you start 2 dl, 2 lb, and 2 dbs is something you have to take advantage of.  Don't want to bench Collins (as I'm a Washington fan, and will be watching the game). 
With both Buffalo LB's out for the game Poyer is in a good spot for tackles and big plays with Fitz throwing the ball.  I would play Poyer

Hope you didn't bench Collins.

Gally said:
Hopefully he didn't bench Poyer or Collins as they both outperformed Chinn
I didn't bench either.  Chinn is on my practice squad (and thus not taking up a normal roster spot).  After Chubb's great game on Thursday I had some breathing room and didn't think it was needed (and it wasn't, I'll win tonight assuming the Raiders TE doesn't score 50+).  I wanted to see another week of Chinn's usage.  Anyone have a breakdown?

I know we're at the mercy of one arbitrary individual, are Haason Reddick or Khalil Mack likely to get moved to LB?

I know we're at the mercy of one arbitrary individual, are Haason Reddick or Khalil Mack likely to get moved to LB?
Don't see them moving from LB without a scheme change, they're not typically lining up with their hands in the dirt from what I've seen.  Bears might dump Nagy and staff, but don't think anything will change in the desert.       

Y'all might have seen these  PFF "job" openings posted on Twitter. No skills necessary. The only ability needed is availability - 10-12 hours on a Sunday night to pore over tape and chart plays.
This is a while back, but I wanted to do this. Had the time. But stupid California law won't allow us to not get paid a certain amount for work like that. Labor laws can actually hurt those that would benefit from interning or giving almost free labor.

I've lost Gary Davenport's podcast somehow, and I can't seem to find it.  What's it called?  I want to search for some position change clues.

So Dan Quinn signed as DC of Dallas, probably means they will stay a 4-3 defense. In a 4-3 Under a guy like Aldon Smith could play the Leo (or the SAM) so there is a small chance Gary could put him as a LB. If you own him in dynasty and you play on MFL (and it looks like they still won't switch to Edge-IDL this year right ?), it could have been worse. Not a totally sure thing though.

If the Dallas Cowboys hire Dan Quinn it’s a clear indication that they would be looking to keep the team in a base 4-3 defense, the scheme Quinn has run throughout his career. Dallas struggled mightily to adjust to Mike Nolan’s new scheme which, while still technically a 4-3, also disguised things by often utilizing many of the concepts that a 3-4 defense uses. Nolan’s scheme was far more complex and a big shift away from what former defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli ran for six seasons with the team.

As the roster stands now, the Cowboys’ personnel likely best fits into a base 4-3 and it was pretty evident as they looked most comfortable when running that this past season. With a top 10 pick in the draft, Dallas will have their choice of high upside players who can make an impact on defense. That’s good news for a team that sported the worst defense in team history this past season.

https://thelandryhat.com/2021/01/11/dallas-cowboys-interviewed-head-coach/

A couple reporters I follow, John Owning and Patrik Walker expect Randy Gregory to play LEO. That's super intriguing to me. If he shows he can hold up in run D playing full-time, he'd have double-digit sack upside. That pushes Tank to big end, which I don't love. As for Aldon Smith, does he come back? Do they try him at SAM? Is he just DE depth? Who slides inside in sub-packages? Or do they focus resources on (sorely needed) IDLs?

A couple reporters I follow, John Owning and Patrik Walker expect Randy Gregory to play LEO. That's super intriguing to me. If he shows he can hold up in run D playing full-time, he'd have double-digit sack upside. That pushes Tank to big end, which I don't love. As for Aldon Smith, does he come back? Do they try him at SAM? Is he just DE depth? Who slides inside in sub-packages? Or do they focus resources on (sorely needed) IDLs?
Tank's value would plummet with that move.  Well, plummet more than his self-induced plummet this year.

Jets are almost certainly moving to a 4-3, which would make Quinnen Williams an elite DT.

Chargers moving to a 3-4 will be interesting. Risk of Bosa becoming a OLB. Melvin Ingram if he stays there too (he started his fantasy career at LB I remember those wasted years in some leagues).

Jets are almost certainly moving to a 4-3, which would make Quinnen Williams an elite DT.

Chargers moving to a 3-4 will be interesting. Risk of Bosa becoming a OLB. Melvin Ingram if he stays there too (he started his fantasy career at LB I remember those wasted years in some leagues).
I've been waiting for this!  :pickle:

tonato said:
Can Cashman play the Mike?  Or for that matter do they even have a Mike? Going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

Users who are viewing this thread