What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Sleepers, Midseason Callups and Breakouts... (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately for O'Neill, it's a reliever being sent down, not an outfielder (Pham) going to the DL, so I don't know that he'll get a ton of chances this time up unless it ends up that Pham does need a few games off.
I'm holding two minor leaguers: Kopech and J Flaherty. We can only reserve two, if you pick up a third another team can claim him. while I was debating whether to drop Kopech and pick up O'Neil another team grabbed him. But he also already has two on his roster, and O'Neil has yet to be officially added to the major league roster. So I have a quick decision I need to make which is whether its worth dropping Kopech to claim O'Neil from the other guy. would need to do it before the roster move is officially made.

I'm deep at SP and pretty desperate for bats. thoughts?

Nigel said:
I'm holding two minor leaguers: Kopech and J Flaherty. We can only reserve two, if you pick up a third another team can claim him. while I was debating whether to drop Kopech and pick up O'Neil another team grabbed him. But he also already has two on his roster, and O'Neil has yet to be officially added to the major league roster. So I have a quick decision I need to make which is whether its worth dropping Kopech to claim O'Neil from the other guy. would need to do it before the roster move is officially made.

I'm deep at SP and pretty desperate for bats. thoughts?
Kopech is the better prospect vs. O'Neill and like I say, until we know more about Pham, it's hard to know if O'Neill is anything more than a bench bat right now. I would probably hold Kopech myself, or maybe try to trade him for a bat with more clear opportunity.

I have O'Neill in a dynasty with 40 man rosters but I didn't rush to add him in smaller leagues.

Pham says groin isn't an issue, but out of the lineup toady. O'Neill still taking a seat in favor of the great Harrison Bader

Seems like they'd leave him in AAA if they were not going to play him.

O'Neill was batting .388 with a 1.221 OPS through 52 plate appearances this season at Memphis while leading the Pacific Coast League in RBI (18), total bases (41), and home runs (6). 

Seems like O'Neill could get a start tonight vs. lefty Finnegan. Hanging on for a bit to see where this goes. Seems like the Cards have one guy come out of nowhere for a big year every year (then the next year suck or get replaced by the next out of nowhere guy having a big year).

Mac Williamson coming up to SF. Pence to DL so he should get playing time.

Worked with a swing guru in the offseason and was hitting 487/600/1026 (that last one is SLG not OPS) in AAA in 50 PA's.

Lourdes Gurriel surprisingly called up by Jays. He was pretty meh last year but has been hitting well to start this season. He's not super young so I guess they want to see what they have. I wouldn't go out and pick him up but keep an eye on him, he has some potential at a MI spot. 

Lourdes Gurriel surprisingly called up by Jays. He was pretty meh last year but has been hitting well to start this season. He's not super young so I guess they want to see what they have. I wouldn't go out and pick him up but keep an eye on him, he has some potential at a MI spot. 
Yeah, he's coming up now because he can play all over the diamond and he isn't Gift Ngoepe but with Aledmys Diaz and Devon Travis at SS/2B, it's not hard to see a path to playing time. 

Prospect wise, the more important news for now is that with Gurriel called up and Morales activated from the DL, it's Tim Mayza and Ngoepe going down, so at least for now, Teoscar Hernandez stays up (though it's still hard to see where he fits when Donaldson returns).

Yeah, he's coming up now because he can play all over the diamond and he isn't Gift Ngoepe but with Aledmys Diaz and Devon Travis at SS/2B, it's not hard to see a path to playing time. 

Prospect wise, the more important news for now is that with Gurriel called up and Morales activated from the DL, it's Tim Mayza and Ngoepe going down, so at least for now, Teoscar Hernandez stays up (though it's still hard to see where he fits when Donaldson returns).
Grichuk probably won't continue to hit 088/167/170 and Hernandez probably won't continue to hit 375/400/708, but as long as Teoscar stays ahead then you have to think he'll get the majority of starts vs. R's with both starting vs. L's.

Mac Williamson coming up to SF. Pence to DL so he should get playing time.

Worked with a swing guru in the offseason and was hitting 487/600/1026 (that last one is SLG not OPS) in AAA in 50 PA's.
The Giants have five OF, four of whom (including Williamson) bat from the right side.  I'd love to see the new and improved Mac 2.0 get an extended look but Blanco and Gorkys have been decent so far this year so Boch will probably turn to them first.

The Giants have five OF, four of whom (including Williamson) bat from the right side.  I'd love to see the new and improved Mac 2.0 get an extended look but Blanco and Gorkys have been decent so far this year so Boch will probably turn to them first.
Mac just crushed an opposite field HR

Seems like you will not be able to get him for a good price anymore but... Ozzie Albies. Probably have to take him around picks 80-100 right now if you want him and that could still move up.
I mean, everyone was hyping him see he was hardly much of a sleeper but Albies is a stud. Needs to walk some more but that's tough to do when you're hitting dingers and doubles every at bat. 

I'd be shocked if Torres isn't up very soon, meaning like tomorrow. He earned the extra year today, Yankees 2b and 3b are all struggling, tyler Austin still has a 5 game suspension pending, and he's tearing the cover off the ball. 
Promoted

Albert Almora Jr. was getting some post-hype love here from Fangraphs before the season. He's their best defensive outfielder and so far is hitting well at the top of the lineup, while Ian Happ is not. Not sure how much run he'll get but may have a chance to roll with the CF/leadoff job. He actually had a .783 OPS last year and is 327/377/510 so far this year.

Edit to add - he probably needs to steal some bases to have a ton of relevance beyond deeper leagues, though he could score a ton of runs in the meantime (13 already in 53 PA).

Last edited by a moderator:
Albert Almora Jr. was getting some post-hype love here from Fangraphs before the season. He's their best defensive outfielder and so far is hitting well at the top of the lineup, while Ian Happ is not. Not sure how much run he'll get but may have a chance to roll with the CF/leadoff job. He actually had a .783 OPS last year and is 327/377/510 so far this year.

Edit to add - he probably needs to steal some bases to have a ton of relevance beyond deeper leagues, though he could score a ton of runs in the meantime (13 already in 53 PA).
I'm about sick of the Happ crap

Grab Andujar on the yanks if you can.  Hot as a pistol but playtime may get muddy when Drury returns but he’s such a good looking hitter to me with a little pop

Smack Tripper said:
Grab Andujar on the yanks if you can.  Hot as a pistol but playtime may get muddy when Drury returns but he’s such a good looking hitter to me with a little pop
I don't see it getting too muddy if Andujar keeps hitting. Drury seems like a great bench bat on a good offensive team/starter on a bad team. Basically, the young poor man's Neil Walker with less OB skills, who also just got sent to the pine for a yute.

Who knows how good Andujar ultimately will be this year, but I'd expect he's played his way into a long look. And of course, injuries are sure to help get it all worked out.

Chris Stratton :coffee:
I keep wanting to drop him. He's the kind of pitcher I just don't like very much because nothing in the profile stands out and I don't understand how the results come about. I guess he's just a solid pitcher in a good pitching environment. I guess I'll keep him around to help balance out the guys I chase on the opposite end of the spectrum (guys with great underlying numbers that take a dump on my ERA). 

I'm also hanging on the AL version of Stratton, Daniel Mengden (though I certainly didn't have the balls to start him against BOS).

I don't see it getting too muddy if Andujar keeps hitting. Drury seems like a great bench bat on a good offensive team/starter on a bad team. Basically, the young poor man's Neil Walker with less OB skills, who also just got sent to the pine for a yute.

Who knows how good Andujar ultimately will be this year, but I'd expect he's played his way into a long look. And of course, injuries are sure to help get it all worked out.
Well, like this, sure.  Extra base hit in 7 straight now

Leads in AL in games with two or more extra base hits with 5, all of which have been in the past 7 games

Willie Adamas is crushing it in AAA. Wish the Rays would bring him up to give people something to get excited about. 

Really under the radar guy is Mark Canha. Following up on his good spring training  Canha has an 8 game hitting streak and 10 out of 11 since getting into the starting lineup. 

Injuries to Thames and Beckham open up playing time for Jesus Aguilar and Danny Valencia. 

Aguilar has more obstacles to regular starts but is younger with a higher power ceiling. 

Valencia is Danny Valencia.  I know he's currently hitting .135 but I've slotted him in vs. LHP for years.  He'll gain 3B eligibility any day now.

Eephus said:
Injuries to Thames and Beckham open up playing time for Jesus Aguilar and Danny Valencia. 

Aguilar has more obstacles to regular starts but is younger with a higher power ceiling. 

Valencia is Danny Valencia.  I know he's currently hitting .135 but I've slotted him in vs. LHP for years.  He'll gain 3B eligibility any day now.
Will be interesting to see if the Thames injury opens an opportunity for Keon Broxton. That outfield is still really overcrowded.

Users who are viewing this thread