Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Should students be allowed to walk out of school to support pro gun rights?

KCitons

12 minutes ago, KCitons said:

Did some schools allow students to protest yesterday? Would they have the same leniency if it was a pro gun walk out? Would you support it?

what is your point? There were walkouts all across the country including in red gun owning states.  I'm guessing the # of kids wanting to walkout for pro gun would be quite small, but that's just me. Students dying every couple weeks to guns in schools is kind of a big driver, no?

33 minutes ago, KCitons said:

Did some schools allow students to protest yesterday? Would they have the same leniency if it was a pro gun walk out? Would you support it?

I don't care what the schools allowed or tried to prevent. They ultimately can't stop it. But, I repeat, I'm not gonna support a demonstration in support of gun rights, just their right to demonstrate for that cause.

5 hours ago, KCitons said:

Curious how people here would feel if students organized a walk out to support gun rights? Would they be given the same support to rights to protest? Where do you draw the line as to what they can and can't protest?

I'm sure they would anyway just be crisis actors paid for the job

Crossposted in a different thread, but in response to an inquiry from a student group our local high school has stated that it would treat a pro-second amendment protest in exactly the same way.  I doubt it will actually happen; I think those students were just testing the waters like the OP was here, and when they found out they would have equal treatment they lost interest since they couldn't claim to be victimized by the administration.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Crossposted in a different thread, but in response to an inquiry from a student group our local high school has stated that it would treat a pro-second amendment protest in exactly the same way.  I doubt it will actually happen; I think those students were just testing the waters like the OP was here, and when they found out they would have equal treatment they lost interest since they couldn't claim to be victimized by the administration.

So now we're using one example as wide spread results? If I did that in any other thread, I'd would have been called out by 10 different posters. 

23 minutes ago, KCitons said:

So now we're using one example as wide spread results? If I did that in any other thread, I'd would have been called out by 10 different posters. 

Find any example nationwide of pro-gun protesters not being able to exercise first amendment rights.

10 minutes ago, KCitons said:

You already mentioned one. 

No, I preemptively explained why that wasn't.   It was a violation of the school's policy regarding requiring pre-approval of signs, and the sign was simply moved off campus.  I don't understand why you think it helps your position to distort facts.

Just now, -fish- said:

No, I preemptively explained why that wasn't.   It was a violation of the school's policy regarding requiring pre-approval of signs, and the sign was simply moved off campus.  I don't understand why you think it helps your position to distort facts.

Reports are still unclear as whether or not they removed him from school grounds. So, I'll hold judgement until we hear word of lawsuit. 

A friend of mine from work just told us his daughter just did this at school. She said they weren't given a choice and was told by the teachers they were all walking out at X:00 time.  I wonder how many of the other ones are shams too?

1 minute ago, KCitons said:

Reports are still unclear as whether or not they removed him from school grounds. So, I'll hold judgement until we hear word of lawsuit. 

Why would it matter if he was removed?  There's a written policy that the sign wasn't allowed on school grounds.  Why wouldn't it make sense to have the person carrying the sign go hold it off of school property?

8 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Why would it matter if he was removed?  There's a written policy that the sign wasn't allowed on school grounds.  Why wouldn't it make sense to have the person carrying the sign go hold it off of school property?

I'm sure you would be happy with that. 

7 minutes ago, -fish- said:

That would be a reasonable enforcement of a legally adopted school policy.  Why would you have a problem with it?   

Link to the school policy? Do you know that the enforcement says that the party will be removed, or just the sign?

8 hours ago, KCitons said:

Link to the school policy? Do you know that the enforcement says that the party will be removed, or just the sign?

I’m not even clear what you are arguing for or against here (and don’t really care as I’m fine with both sides protesting) but let me say your new argumentative posting style isn’t a good look for somebody who I think is a good dude and contributor to the bored.

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

I’m not even clear what you are arguing for or against here (and don’t really care as I’m fine with both sides protesting) but let me say your new argumentative posting style isn’t a good look for somebody who I think is a good dude and contributor to the bored.

Thanks for the kind words.

I don't think standing up for ones opinion or beliefs is being argumentative. It's become obvious to me over the past year that 99% of this board is exactly the same person when it comes to political issues. Every poster that has a slightly differing opinion is made to look like a moron and badgered in hopes that they will change their stance. It ranges from laughable to hypocritical at times. The amazing part is that some think that this board is a representation of the general population. It's not. As one poster asked, it's more of a Liberal echo chamber and not representative of what the public truly thinks. I don't believe that posters here act this same way in public. I couldn't imagine them working for a political party and discussing issues with someone on the fence, only to call them names and claim that they are right wing gun nuts. Or a bloodthirsty human if they support the death penalty. Or insensitive animals if they don't support DACA. 

It's ok to accept people of all nationalities, all races, all sexual orientations, but if you have a different opinion on protesting, guns or capital punishment, that's unacceptable here. Most posters are so entrenched in their hatred of one political party that they no longer have the ability to analyze issues independently. They spew hatred for the Right any chance they get. And think calling someone Republican is the worst thing someone could be right now. For those that haven't figured it out, it's life experiences and decades of living that form people's opinions, not what some stranger posts on a message board. Learn to accept that other people have an opinion that may be different from your own. Know that you have very little chance to change that opinion. Spend your energy finding common ground and stop wasting time trying to belittle them into coming to your side. Because often times it has the opposite result. 

Remember it takes two people to argue. Let's remove all people that have any differing opinion on any subject. What are you left with? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I'm sorry, but this is the result of being in your own echo chamber. And a truly hyperbolic one at that.

There are multiple people here, and who are still here, who were vehemently against Hillary this past election. Vehemently. And do you know what happened? We got the facts and the reality of the Trump Administration. And this is one of, if not the, worst presidential administrations in history. Blatantly corrupt. Obviously unqualified. And acts without forethought or consultation. If somebody was to come and say, "I realize that Trump is enriching himself by spending 1 day out of 3 at his own properties, at the taxpayer expense. And I realize that shortly after Trump took office, the Chinese government granted him copyrights which he had spent 10 years fighting over. And I realize that Mueller's investigation has already brought down a number of Trump's closer advisors and it's an open question to whether or not he himself had any involvement. But you know what? I don't care. I just don't care if he enriches himself at the taxpayer expense. It doesn't bother me." Because you know what? Those last 3 sentences are an opinion. And it may be an opinion which someone might not be proud to have, but I'm fairly sure people would actually accept that. There would be the usual hypocrisy recriminations after people have spent years alleging and demonizing alleged corruption on behalf of the Clintons, but at least it's valid. But you also know what? That's not what happens. People come in here and deny the facts of reality. They say none of this has happened or is happening. And when confronted with facts and substantiation, they either flat-out deny the facts, they try to say, "Yeah, but what about Hillary?!?!", or simply move onto another point altogether. And that's what people here are sick of. 

Just yesterday, in the Lamb thread, someone said they liked him as a reasonable guy. And that if he was a Republican, they'd still like him. And you know what? At least based on his words and promises, so would I. Because contrary to this victimization mentality, and I daresay projection of one's own mentality, people aren't demonizing Republicans right now. At least not their voters. Congress has proved completely spineless and have completely failed to take up their obvious separate power duties. And there are some on the right who are outright racists. Publicly. With public statements. And I see no reason why any reasonable person should countenance a spineless Congress in the face of a corrupt Presidency. But that doesn't extend to simple party identification, provided that someone who identified as Republican accepted actual facts.

You came in here and started this thread, why? There was a movement that sprung up by children. Who are doing what they want. And who did as much, if not more, a remembrance service to the latest school attack, and asking the adults, "Why aren't you doing anything while we are dying?" And that is a completely reasonable question. And so administrations across the country allowed them to interrupt 1 school day for 17 minutes to call attention to it. Instead of letting that lie, you come in here and say, "Yeah, but what pro-gun demonstrations?!!juan!!" And you know what? People took your question more seriously than it deserved. They said, we don't have a problem with students protesting. Why would we? They're free to skip class. They're free to express themselves. And instead of saying, "Oh, ok." you acted, and are still acting, as if some bias against conservative opinions have completely shut you down. Do you know what should be shut down? Stupid whataboutisms. 

Current conservatives, especially here, aren't scorned because they have a different point of view. They're engaged in debate as long as they keep it above board. For the first few weeks StealthyCat was here, people actually went out of their way to praise him. His political views and perspectives haven't changed since. His willingness to accept facts has. And people (unwarrantedly, imo) still try to engage him. But he's fallen in general esteem because he only engaged in the level of chicanery and specious arguments.

In a place of debate and discussion, different perspective and opinions are fine. Inability or refusal to accept actual facts which form the basis of legitimate conversation really don't. And it's well past time that all posters here recognize that.

What about Benghazi?

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Matthias said:

You came in here and started this thread, why? There was a movement that sprung up by children. Who are doing what they want. And who did as much, if not more, a remembrance service to the latest school attack, and asking the adults, "Why aren't you doing anything while we are dying?" And that is a completely reasonable question. And so administrations across the country allowed them to interrupt 1 school day for 17 minutes to call attention to it. Instead of letting that lie, you come in here and say, "Yeah, but what pro-gun demonstrations?!!juan!!" And you know what? People took your question more seriously than it deserved. They said, we don't have a problem with students protesting. Why would we? They're free to skip class. They're free to express themselves. And instead of saying, "Oh, ok." you acted, and are still acting, as if some bias against conservative opinions have completely shut you down. Do you know what should be shut down? Stupid whataboutisms. 

The entire post was great, but this, and especially the bolded was excellent.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KCitons said:

I don't think standing up for ones opinion or beliefs is being argumentative. It's become obvious to me over the past year that 99% of this board is exactly the same person when it comes to political issues. Every poster that has a slightly differing opinion is made to look like a moron and badgered in hopes that they will change their stance. It ranges from laughable to hypocritical at times. The amazing part is that some think that this board is a representation of the general population. It's not. As one poster asked, it's more of a Liberal echo chamber and not representative of what the public truly thinks. I don't believe that posters here act this same way in public. I couldn't imagine them working for a political party and discussing issues with someone on the fence, only to call them names and claim that they are right wing gun nuts. Or a bloodthirsty human if they support the death penalty. Or insensitive animals if they don't support DACA. 

It's ok to accept people of all nationalities, all races, all sexual orientations, but if you have a different opinion on protesting, guns or capital punishment, that's unacceptable here. Most posters are so entrenched in their hatred of one political party that they no longer have the ability to analyze issues independently. They spew hatred for the Right any chance they get. And think calling someone Republican is the worst thing someone could be right now. For those that haven't figured it out, it's life experiences and decades of living that form people's opinions, not what some stranger posts on a message board. Learn to accept that other people have an opinion that may be different from your own. Know that you have very little chance to change that opinion. Spend your energy finding common ground and stop wasting time trying to belittle them into coming to your side. Because often times it has the opposite result. 

Remember it takes two people to argue. Let's remove all people that have any differing opinion on any subject. What are you left with? 

Not sure what you decide is "unacceptable" here - but, as a general rule, just because someone disagrees with you, does not mean they don't accept your rights to publish those thoughts.

I may think people are idiotic for things they think/say - but I generally don't have a problem with people speaking their mind.  

So, yes, I think you should be accepting of all people - just as Jesus was.  I think you should reconsider your positions on guns and capital punishment - but recognize that people do not change deep-seated feelings easily - in many cases it takes generations.  

I also doubt that most posters here are "so entrenched in their hatred of one political party."  Yes, there are a few on either side of the aisle who are so entrenched, but I think most people here would classify themselves as Center-right, or Center-Left, and not beholden to all views of either party.  Where you may have a point is that most people here really do not like Trump, or more specifically, what Trump is doing to the country.  And, I will acknowledge that there is a sizable population that embraces Trump and all he stands for - which is unfortunate and demonstrates a different way of thinking than I am comfortable with.  I don't believe in bullying.  I don't believe in brash confrontationalism.  I don't like the name calling.  I don't like singling out groups of people for derision.  And, quite frankly, I don't like people who think that is acceptable behavior.

But, just because I don't like someone, doesn't mean I can't, or don't  listen to their opinions.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Matthias said:

People took your question more seriously than it deserved. They said, we don't have a problem with students protesting. Why would we? They're free to skip class. They're free to express themselves. And instead of saying, "Oh, ok." you acted, and are still acting, as if some bias against conservative opinions have completely shut you down.

:goodposting: 

3 hours ago, KCitons said:

I'm not one that likes to get in the way of a good rant, so forgive me if I'm mucking things up, but why did you even start this thread?  What were you hoping to get out of it?  The OP didn't make much sense and you were asked a ton of questions about what you meant.  None of which were answered and no clarifications were made.  Then when you finally come back to the thread you flip the script to this soapbox of yours.  And honestly, the soapbox is completely avoiding the reality of the responses.  Take the bold above. It is the EXACT opposite of what responses in this thread would warrant.  Everyone here was saying "sure, let them protest" or some similar variation thereof after guessing what you meant in your original post.  It seems like this thread didn't get the responses you initially expected/wanted to hear, but again, it's really not clear what your intention was.

From a personal standpoint, I am fully aware that I will never be able to change a person's mind.  That's never my goal.  My goal here is to always do my best to flush out the core position in an argument.  Doing so allows us all to see where we are and why we believe the things we do.  I use that information to determine who I am going to engage with or not on these boards.  The person is generally meaningless in these discussions.  It's the position they hold that's important.   It's also important to bring to light what holding said position allows in others' behavior.  Yes, our elected officials have the ultimate responsibility for their actions.  They ultimately make the decisions on how they are going to behave.  However, it is mindnumbingly dumb to ignore the enablers of those elected officials as part of the equation.  These people get elected to office by others.  Those others are just as important in the equation as the people in office.  Personal responsibility can be a ##### sometimes but that doesn't mean it should just be ignored when the going gets tough.  The bottom line is, if there's an official in office that you voted for, you're part of the equation.  You have at least some part in where this country is going.  That's how a republic works.  So if person X is causing problems in Washington DC not only is person X responsible, so are all the people that voted for him/her.  

IMO, we don't do a good job of identifying constructive criticism vs useless criticism.  We are lazy and just lump it all together as criticism and ignore it.  We make the messenger the problem.  That needs to stop.

Edited by The Commish

Not to change topics and MT has covered this one far more eloquently than I ever could but I'm actually here to change minds (and make Donald jokes). My mind has been changed on a number of topics from discussions on this board so maybe that's why I believe that minds can be changed. This seems like a simple truth to me but maybe there are people here who could explain to me why they've never changed their minds on any big issues after discussing them here.

Commish's post above stirred that odd little thought up in my mind somehow. Carry on if not interested.

On 3/15/2018 at 7:34 AM, Ditkaless Wonders said:

When I was in 7th grade wood shop and metal shop were mandatory classes. In wood shop there were three preapproved projects for your final project, though you could submit another for approval if you wished.  Among the three was a gun rack for your pickup which it was presumed you would eventually get at 16.  Same in metal shop. 

I made a gun cabinet in wood shop.

• Like 1

Help help, I'm being repressed.

• Like 2

What happened is an interesting thing. This board used to be a lot more pro-Republican. Did the board change? Did the GOP change? What happened? 

To spin on a quote of The Great Communicator, i didn't leave the Republican Party, it left me. My political views have only moderately changed from 5-10 years ago. However, when I see the direction the GOP has gone and the direction it's fiercest supporters have gone, I had no choice but to leave. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KCitons said:

It's become obvious to me over the past year that 99% of this board is exactly the same person when it comes to political issues.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but even so if you went back more than a year you'd realize how wrong this is.

Maybe the reason it seems that way over the past year, when it wasn't remotely the case before that (as literally everyone who was active in political threads before mid-2016 would tell you), is that the things the overwhelming majority of us agree on are true? :shrug:

Edited by TobiasFunke
  • Like 1

I never felt the need to come to this forum in past years.  I just stuck to the football forums.  Never really cared all that much for politics either but as soon as Trump became President I couldn't stay silent on it.  Being an adult who owns a business and has kids has changed how I think about politics now.  I feel much stronger about how things are done than I ever have before.  I feel that Trump is a vile human and that he's hurting our country and that it's my duty as an American citizen to speak up about it.

• Like 9

On 3/15/2018 at 9:09 AM, Ilov80s said:

Ofcourse they should be allowed. 

Except we've seen that they're really not.  We've seen a teacher suspended for questioning the walkout and a student suspended for refusing to take sides and not wanting to protest. 

So, sure, you're allowed your free speech rights and your right to assemble as you'd like - as long as it conforms with the position of the state education establishment. 

Edited by Sand

2 minutes ago, Sand said:

Except we've seen that they're really not.  We've seen a teacher suspended for questioning the walkout and a student suspended for refusing to take sides and not wanting to protest. 

So, sure, you're allowed your free speech rights and your right to assemble as you'd like - as long as it conforms with the position of the state education establishment. 

Can't really tell why the teacher was actually suspended.   “A Rocklin High School teacher has been placed on paid administrative leave due to several complaints from parents and students involving the teacher’s communications regarding today’s student-led civic engagement activities.”  She apparently turned the discussion of the walkout into a debate about abortion.   There is no other information about the reasons she was suspended other than her opinion. 

The student was suspended because he refused to leave the classroom.   Students had the option of participating in the walkout or going to study hall.   They did not have the option of remaining unattended in the building.   He chose to refuse to follow the school's rules.  

Neither of these is an example of not being able to counterprotest.  Both seem to be violations of school policies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cap'n grunge said:

I made a gun cabinet in wood shop.

On 3/15/2018 at 7:34 AM, Ditkaless Wonders said:

When I was in 7th grade wood shop and metal shop were mandatory classes. In wood shop there were three preapproved projects for your final project, though you could submit another for approval if you wished.  Among the three was a gun rack for your pickup which it was presumed you would eventually get at 16.  Same in metal shop. 

California was a little different.

I made

small bookshelf that I used to hold my Marx and Abbie Hoffman.

a small table for plants.  Perfect size for jazz cabbage plant.

and a homemade ruler that I used to measure my penis.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sand said:

That is the teacher's side of the story. The school can't talk the issue so we don't know for sure what she said to students. If it is as presented by the teacher, she has a good call for a grieveance and I would expect she will win. Good thing she has a union to fight for her rights. 

As for the student, I don't know how that school handled it but if the school was asking every student to exit the building, he has to exit as well. 

Edited by Ilov80s

1 hour ago, Sand said:

Did you read the "student suspended" story? 

A high school student in Hilliard, Ohio, didn’t want to pick sides in the contentious gun debate surrounding Wednesday’s “National Walkout,” so he stayed in class instead of joining the largely anti-gun protest or an alternative “study hall.”

Sure sounds like they gave him a non-participation option and he refused it.  Why?  Who knows.  Maybe because he wanted to give far right websites with dubious journalistic chops material they could use to fuel the conservative persecution complex.  But it doesn't look like he was suspended for simply refusing to take sides and protest to me.

Edited by TobiasFunke

Where do these "examples" come from?   The exact same stories started popping up on Facebook at about the same time they were posted here.  Of course, the outraged comments are from people that didn't read the stories either.  What's the news feed for all of the  talking points?  Russian bots again?

3 hours ago, roadkill1292 said:

Not to change topics and MT has covered this one far more eloquently than I ever could but I'm actually here to change minds (and make Donald jokes). My mind has been changed on a number of topics from discussions on this board so maybe that's why I believe that minds can be changed. This seems like a simple truth to me but maybe there are people here who could explain to me why they've never changed their minds on any big issues after discussing them here.

Commish's post above stirred that odd little thought up in my mind somehow. Carry on if not interested.

To be clear, I am not saying people can't change their own minds.  I am saying you cannot change my mind or vice versa.  I have to allow information you present me in before that change process can even think of beginning.  All you can do is provide the information/perspective.  As such, I approach conversations with this truth in mind.

2 hours ago, Sand said:

To be fair....this isn't what the OP seemed to be talking about nor was the post you were replying to.  Regardless, one of these seems to be an incomplete documentation of the events and the other provided a student an option to not protesting and he chose poorly.....again, not exactly what the OP seemed to be talking about.  Neither of these were "protests" as far as I can tell.