Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Should students be allowed to walk out of school to support pro gun rights?

KCitons

45 minutes ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

Imagine being the type of person that gets more worked up over walk-outs and protests than seeing children being carried out of schools in body bags.

About the same people who are more worked up about athletes kneeling than racism, police brutality and other social injustices.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:
57 minutes ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

Imagine being the type of person that gets more worked up over walk-outs and protests than seeing children being carried out of schools in body bags.

About the same people who are more worked up about athletes kneeling than racism, police brutality and other social injustices

And as the people who give Jones legitimacy believing the nonsense he spews and convincing people pizza shops are an affront for pedophilia rings.

3 hours ago, Matthias said:

If the school will bus students for free to every protest which is expected to attract at least 500,000 people, that is perfectly fine. Because that policy doesn't depend at all on why they're bussing the kids there, no matter what the protest is about.

Yeah - this isn't true and you know it.  If this were a Baptist march on DC there would be active refusals to devote public resources.  Such a ridiculous argument - I'm surprised it's being made.  Ok, I'm not, but I should be.

These kids had every right, but let Soros pay for the bussing.  Lord knows he's hip deep in it.

Just now, Sand said:

Yeah - this isn't true and you know it.  If this were a Baptist march on DC there would be active refusals to devote public resources.  Such a ridiculous argument - I'm surprised it's being made.  Ok, I'm not, but I should be.

These kids had every right, but let Soros pay for the bussing.  Lord knows he's hip deep in it.

Still not seeing you identify a law or constitutional provision that was violated.    I'm sure the talking points will update soon.   f5 f5 f5.

49 minutes ago, Matthias said:

And how the hell do you work, "Soros" into that nonsense. Pathetic.

It's pretty dumb.  I'd say go look through previous posts, but I think we've all seen his work.

50 minutes ago, Matthias said:

You're wrong.

When the Nazis march in a city, and pay a $100 permit, do you think all of the cops they have to pay overtime to do it for $100? Hell no. The city ends up paying money out of pocket to subsidize speech which most people in the country don't approve of. Or does that not occur to you.

Just because you want to keep carrying around the victimization mentality, doesn't mean that it exists. People may be upset about it, sure. But the way that government works, is that it is establishes objective standards so that it doesn't get involved in endorsing viewpoints. Of course, lots of people don't have a problem with that when they push to get Christianity validated as a religion and special treatment over others, but hey. That's why it is what it is.

Saying, "Hey, here's what I think" isn't a substitute for a constitutional argument.

49 minutes ago, Matthias said:

And how the hell do you work, "Soros" into that nonsense. Pathetic.

47 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Probably middle-class, conservative white guy: The government discriminates against me too much.

42 minutes ago, Matthias said:

The relevant restrictions are called Time, Place, and Manner.

39 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Do you see a pattern? 

Anyone that has a different opinion than yours is called pathetic, middle class conservative white guy.

But sure, I'm the a horrible person. 

9 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

There seem to be more restrictions on how alcohol can be made, distributed and sold though.  Businesses also have a lot more responsibility for who they sell to and bars are responsible for over serving people.  People also need a valid ID to purchase alcohol.  I know this doesn't stop everything but it certainly prevents a lot.

We may not be required to take any classes on drinking but I'm pretty confident that everyone has had a class where they did talk about the dangers of drinking.  Growing up we had DARE classes every year.  We also discussed it in health class in high school.  I don't recall too many classes about guns, specifically.

alcohol is regulated as a food. Just like other foods. So, most of those regulations are not because of the harms they cause. 

Just because people need id, doesn't mean that anything is done with that information. Could a third offense drunk driver buy alcohol?

Maybe we should have classes that address guns. Maybe that would be enough to solve the gun problem. 

9 hours ago, timschochet said:

KCitons, you make the same poor analogies over and over and over again. Should students be allowed to read your posts? 

Why, because your so sure that they believe in your point of view?

It's one thing to have your own opinion, it's another to think that your opinion is the only one. 

2 minutes ago, KCitons said:

Maybe we should have classes that address guns. Maybe that would be enough to solve the gun problem. 

What would these classes teach that you think would decrease gun violence?

4 hours ago, Matthias said:

I guess part of the problem is that you guys don't actually read and/or understand what other people are saying.

I guess part of the problem is you don't care what other people are saying.

51 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Probably middle-class, conservative white guy.

The is the FFA - what's this crap about middle class?  Nice to see you inject identity politics into it, though.  Never seen that card played.  When all else fails scream racism.  It works.  Every time.  Really.

6 minutes ago, Dedfin said:

It's pretty dumb.  I'd say go look through previous posts, but I think we've all seen his work.

And there is the echo chamber.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dedfin said:

What would these classes teach that you think would decrease gun violence?

We just had a girl killed in a high school here due to a gun accidentally going off.  Gun safety would be a superb thing to teach in schools.  I'm sure that mother (she's local, it was heartbreaking) would love her daughter back.

9 minutes ago, KCitons said:

Why, because your so sure that they believe in your point of view?

It's one thing to have your own opinion, it's another to think that your opinion is the only one. 

you have literally tried this guns=alcohol analogy at least half a dozen times.  you've been shown every time by different posters why it is an inapt analogy, yet you keep asserting it.   you also keep claiming that someone is trying to ban guns, and try to draw an analogy to cars or alcohol from that false narrative.  

you also claim that there are no societal benefits of alcohol, yet studies to continue to show that moderate drinking promotes longer life.  on the flip side, owning a gun makes you more likely to be injured or killed by a gun.   your opinion regarding alcohol seems to make you unable to accept basic facts about gun control, and your inability to understand the flaws in your argument has resulted in this and other pointless arguments.   you started this thread with a false premise, and you continue to construct arguments based on alternate false premises.  

maybe it's time to try something else.   

Edited by -fish-
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:
8 minutes ago, KCitons said:

You shorted me an ‘A’! :) 

I’ve pointed out I’m a poor example to use in the gun debate.  I’m as extreme as it gets

It's easier to go this route than have an actual discussion with those who aren't so extreme.  You've put a target on your back GB.....you are now the source of so many straw men!!!!

1 minute ago, Sand said:

We just had a girl killed in a high school here due to a gun accidentally going off.  Gun safety would be a superb thing to teach in schools.  I'm sure that mother (she's local, it was heartbreaking) would love her daughter back.

Why would we teach gun safety in schools, instead of just keeping guns away from children?

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

Probably middle class. And if you're doing better for yourself, then it should be even easier.

Yeah. It's so awful to suggest that white people might get discriminated against less so than other races. Way to show some backbone.

First was a running joke and it surprises me none that you either don't get it or willfully ignore it.

Second, I'm not sure where you got the idea I said I was being discriminated against, much less made any comparisons to any other group.  I simply pointed out you seem to pull the identity card out pretty darn quick.  It isn't surprising, but sure is sad.

Just now, FishTacoTuesday said:

I’m not sure why this is an 11 page thread. Under the first amendment, Americans have the right to assemble. What am I missing? 

Seems like the thread didn't go as originally planned, so it's being morphed until the appropriate level of martyrdom has been achieved.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

It's easier to go this route than have an actual discussion with those who aren't so extreme.  You've put a target on your back GB.....you are now the source of so many straw men!!!!

Well, it not like I’m the only one and as I’ve been “arguing” with Henry, it’s a Herculean task to do - even if you got most to agree to it.  

Even with one voice here it’s still a poor argument because I’m in the vast minority - also, I’m not really advocating for it, I just want to see something done.  There’s lots of reasonable gun laws that stop way short of what I would allow that could be inacted quickly if we had the desire.

5 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Oh no. Do you think care what you think about me??

Odd how the discussion keeps growing and your true colors are showing. 

3 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Why would we teach gun safety in schools, instead of just keeping guns away from children?

We have PSAs to try and keep our kids from eating Tide pods, but you think this is just as simple as "keeping guns away from kids?"   

Ok, how about we also keep the sexes apart to avoid pregnancy and STDs, keep cars away from kids so no wrecks, and for sure keep drugs and alcohol away from them.  Damn, look at that, you just solved all the big problems for the new generation!

7 minutes ago, -fish- said:

So, your saying that gun safety won't have any effect?

Why not just ban alcohol instead of teaching about drunk driving in school?

1 minute ago, KCitons said:

Or hatred of anyone with differing opinions. 

There are many posters with differing opinions, including those on the gun ownership side of the fence, that are able to make cogent arguments without basing their arguments on false narratives or simply repeating the same analogy ad infinitum.  Alcohol and guns aren't the same, no matter how many times you claim they are.

Just now, KCitons said:
6 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Oh no. Do you think care what you think about me??

Odd how the discussion keeps growing and your true colors are showing.

Do you think I am talking about you?  :oldunsure:

My "true colors" were present in my very first post here and we have very different standards for "growing" if you think discussion here is going anywhere but down the pooper.

1 minute ago, KCitons said:

Stealthycat LOVES this

Just now, Matthias said:

Sounds like you're worried about being discriminated against. And since that was the context of what you quoted half of, I figured you were, you know, addressing it.

You completely misread it.  There was nothing there about discrimination.  I simply picked a large gathering that is of the opposite political spectrum to make a point. 

Just now, KCitons said:

Alcohol is not an apt analogy for guns.  Kids aren't authorized to have alcohol, so it is banned for them.  They are also taught about it.  See how that works?

10 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Alcohol is not an apt analogy for guns.  Kids aren't authorized to have alcohol, so it is banned for them.  They are also taught about it.  See how that works?

Are they taught about guns?

So, kids aren't drinking? 

13 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Do you think I am talking about you?  :oldunsure:

My "true colors" were present in my very first post here and we have very different standards for "growing" if you think discussion here is going anywhere but down the pooper.

You did quote me as well. Just wanted to cover all bases. 

8 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Like, this whole thread is premised on the idea that society is discriminating against conservative viewpoints. That's the whole point he's trying to make.

I admit to being very much against the notion that we should use our schools to promulgate one particular political viewpoint.  But, that's the world we are in right now.

15 minutes ago, -fish- said:

There are many posters with differing opinions, including those on the gun ownership side of the fence, that are able to make cogent arguments without basing their arguments on false narratives or simply repeating the same analogy ad infinitum.  Alcohol and guns aren't the same, no matter how many times you claim they are.

OK, I'll give you a chance to change my opinion. 

Does alcohol lead to deaths?

Do guns lead to deaths?

Start from there and convince me otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Like, this whole thread is premised on the idea that society is discriminating against conservative viewpoints. That's the whole point he's trying to make.

Let's be clear. This isn't about society as much as it is about the people on this board.

3 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Just from the first page.

On 3/15/2018 at 8:11 AM, Matthias said:

God.

Do conservatives have anything left other than a victim mentality and the creativity of a kumquat? If there's anything that happens, "whatabout..." Sure. Students are allowed to protest whatever they like. But the truth of the matter is they don't want to protest for the right to make their lives more dangerous. With the White House, Senate, House, and SCOTUS, Republicans still act like they're some oppressed victims. Get over yourselves.

You had me at kumquat. 

• Like 1