What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brand new bridge collapes at Florida International University (1 Viewer)

There are still cars trapped underneath the concrete.
Yeah I saw. It’s going to be awhile before they can remove all the rubble. I can’t even imagine the panic of peiole that haven’t gotten texts back ls from loved ones. 

One of my worst fears. I try to hold back in traffic until I can pass under a bridge without stopping. Being stuck under a bridge for any length of time will put me in panic attack mode.

I think this started in 89 after seeing the upper deck of Bay Bridge collapse into the lower.  It gives me the Hebe Jebe's just thinking about it.

Also my loving father used to wrap me in a blanket when I was little. I would kick and scream trying to get out 

From news photos it looks as if the concrete was still wet.

It was darker in color than the outside shade

Last edited by a moderator:
From news photos it looks as if the concrete was still wet.

It was darker in color than the outside shade
Had to be a huge design blunder, or in a hurry to get it done.   What is troublesome they were bragging that the whole bridge was put in place in a few hours on Saturday.

Someone is going to be paying the piper big time.

My son goes to school near there and while my wife doesn't normally drive under that bridge to get there to pick him up, we use Waze and it would be a secondary option if the turnpike was backed up for any reason. 

It didn't help that I wasn't able to reach her as her phone had died. I was slightly panicked until I was able to get in touch with her.

Tragic. I can't imagine what people are going through who may not be able to get in touch with their loved ones who live, work, go to school or just travel through that area.

My son goes to school near there and while my wife doesn't normally drive under that bridge to get there to pick him up, we use Waze and it would be a secondary option if the turnpike was backed up for any reason. 

It didn't help that I wasn't able to reach her as her phone had died. I was slightly panicked until I was able to get in touch with her.

Tragic. I can't imagine what people are going through who may not be able to get in touch with their loved ones who live, work, go to school or just travel through that area.
Damn.  Glad they're safe.

Reports are that they were doing a stress test on the bridge when it collapsed. I really hope that is not true because:

a) The bridge was not complete yet and

b) Testing the bridge with cars driving under it would be absolutely insane
I thought I read that they had done the stress test this morning.

Must have been terrifying for those who were there. Thoughts and prayers to all affected.

It is a terrible tragedy all around, but specifically as an engineer this is what nightmares are made of.
I wonder how the hell can something like this even come close to happening.

If it's still under construction and you're allowing cars and/or people to be near it, I would hope there are back up safety measures in addition to whatever is currently holding it up. 

Horrible.

If it's still under construction and you're allowing cars and/or people to be near it, I would hope there are back up safety measures in addition to whatever is currently holding it up. 

Horrible.
There were without a doubt multiple levels of incompetence at work. Someone screwed up somewhere, and their reviewer screwed up and didn't catch it, and THEIR reviewer screwed up and didn't catch it. Generally something like this doesn't happen because of only one person's failure.

Horrible.
According to this article this bridge was built offsite and brought to the site in large pieces(looks like 1 huge piece to me) to avoid working over the road(good idea), a new method for bridge building.  The problem is it's unstable until they secure it in place.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/03/15/fiu-pedestrian-bridge-design/429978002/

According to this article this bridge was built offsite and brought to the site in large pieces(looks like 1 huge piece to me) to avoid working over the road(good idea), a new method for bridge building.  The problem is it's unstable until they secure it in place.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/03/15/fiu-pedestrian-bridge-design/429978002/
I read too a quote from Marco Rubio saying that the engineers ordered the cables to be tightened and once that happened, the bridge collapsed.

There were without a doubt multiple levels of incompetence at work. Someone screwed up somewhere, and their reviewer screwed up and didn't catch it, and THEIR reviewer screwed up and didn't catch it. Generally something like this doesn't happen because of only one person's failure.
There is a fallacy of increased scrutiny by adding reviewers - actually the opposite happens

Every year we have insurance liability sessions led by someone at our insurance company. We go through case studies from events just like this one. It never fails to amaze me the levels of incompetence that exist in all ranges of professional design and construction companies. A lot of the time it's about communication and schedule. Someone is pressured to meet a deadline and they don't communicate an important piece of information to someone else in their firm or another firm, the info gets overlooked, and BAM, tragedy.

I know a girl who has had a fear of bridges her whole life. She refuses to drive anywhere that she has pass over a bridge.

Every year we have insurance liability sessions led by someone at our insurance company. We go through case studies from events just like this one. It never fails to amaze me the levels of incompetence that exist in all ranges of professional design and construction companies. A lot of the time it's about communication and schedule. Someone is pressured to meet a deadline and they don't communicate an important piece of information to someone else in their firm or another firm, the info gets overlooked, and BAM, tragedy.
As an engineer, I get frustrated by demands to make things happen NOW. Trouble is, created materials (e.g., anything made with concrete) does not abide by your artificial schedule. Corners get cut in the name of expediency. A lot of times, it's customer service people are trying to curry favor with big pocketed customer to try and expedite the process and keep them happy.

Engineers get overruled many, many times in situations like this. It would not surprise me if this happened here.

The two main bridge design forms have reportedly had previous bridge failures.

And they were using some sort of new "self cleaning concrete" in the design that hadn't been used in this sort of design before.

I drive over the Zilwaukee Bridge a few times a year going to Northern Michigan...every time I am on it I almost have a panic attack. It just does not seem stable. In the winter the bridge is like an ice rink..I just try and stay in the middle lanes.

Then again I feel the same way taking the tunnel to Windsor Canada.
When we go north to our cottage with our friends in the summers we have to always stop before zilwaukee and mackinaw so my buddy can switch seats and let his wife drive those. 

I think zilwaukee is the same height as mackinaw, but has shorter ramps, which makes it seem higher. 

Have to admit, at time I white knuckle it over the mackinaw bridge many times. And I never dive in the open grating lanes in the middle. 

:scared:

Users who are viewing this thread