What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asked for a 53% Raise (1 Viewer)

cool story bro
I thought other salaried employees might be emboldened to ask for much more than they think they will receive. Despite it looking like a look at me thread, I really meant it to be about the process of a raise request that’s kind of out there on the normal scale. I actually was prepared for more schtick and ripping. Oh well.

How replaceable are you?  Buddy of mine was going to leave his company and due to some other attrition would have left them in a bad spot.  He got a very nice retention bonus spread out over next few years plus a bump to director (final details TBD)...but he was prepared to walk 

I thought other salaried employees might be emboldened to ask for much more than they think they will receive. Despite it looking like a look at me thread, I really meant it to be about the process of a raise request that’s kind of out there on the normal scale. I actually was prepared for more schtick and ripping. Oh well.
I am pretty sure if it was meant to be about the process instead of bragging about a six figure income you would waited to post until a decision was finalized.

I am pretty sure if it was meant to be about the process instead of bragging about a six figure income you would waited to post until a decision was finalized.
Really? You think I started this thread to say I make six figures? It was for context. 

Seemingly nobody bats an eye when people mention they lost out on a bidding war for a $1.9M house or their extra property at the beach is doing pretty well. :shrug:  

What fun is there in posting about it afterward? 

What happened that makes you believe you’re worth said increase?  Presumably to do the same job.  
Mainly because I believe a bigger correction is a long time coming and I have the data and recruiter input to back it up, the boss said it was a good time to negotiate raises finally and I had a direct hand in millions of dollars in new revenue increases and expense reductions. My job is always evolving and presenting new challenges.

Also, what’s your plan if the answer is “piss off”?
The initial conversation actually went pretty well and he said although it’s higher than he thought I’d ask for he knew it was going to be high. I was a bit surprised that he took it that well. That’s great because that means he’s already thinking in a higher range. I asked for quite a bit more than I expect to get. If it’s 3% then I’ll start looking in earnest. 

I’m going to be asking for other things too, partly because if you don’t ask you’ll never receive them, and partly so I have some concessions to give. I floated a bonus idea. I’ll ask him to increase the company match for everyone later. A few other smaller things. 

What prompted the raise ask?  Did the boss ask you guys to ask for raises (it kind of sounds that way in some of your posts) or did you just take it upon yourself to ask?

If it's the later, good for you, far to many people are way too passive when it comes to their value to the company and advocating for yourself.

Good luck and I hope you get it.  What kind of work?

The initial conversation actually went pretty well and he said although it’s higher than he thought I’d ask for he knew it was going to be high. I was a bit surprised that he took it that well. That’s great because that means he’s already thinking in a higher range. I asked for quite a bit more than I expect to get. If it’s 3% then I’ll start looking in earnest. 

I’m going to be asking for other things too, partly because if you don’t ask you’ll never receive them, and partly so I have some concessions to give. I floated a bonus idea. I’ll ask him to increase the company match for everyone later. A few other smaller things.
So this is a very small company, right? 

External comps and external recruiter opinions get minimal effs given where I work. Its more directional than hard data in an internal negotiation.  

Good luck and :lmao:  at the 52% reply 

Good advice....earlier in my career I was always just thankful to have a job, now I push pretty hard to get the things I want and it's surprising what can happen by just asking and having a little data to back things up.

External comps and external recruiter opinions get minimal effs given where I work. Its more directional than hard data in an internal negotiation.  

Good luck and :lmao:  at the 52% reply 
I treated it as directional too as the data worked in my favor. I had to give him something more than my opinion that I’m underpaid when compared to my peer group. He has always been quick to say “I don’t believe it. You have a pretty good salary for this area.” I told him that’s just made up in his mind.

I positioned the salary info such that even if it’s not exactly correct it’s so far higher than the current number that it’s a truer range of reality. 

I know the 53% number was somewhat shocking and already conceded that it’s not a take it or leave it offer and I’m willing to negotiate. 

So this is a very small company, right? 
About 500 employees. 25 stores in multiple states. Under $50MM in revenue. 

We have 100% match to 4% now. After seeing a better idea from Wilked in the retirement gamble thread I’m going to propose 150% match up to 6%. 

About 500 employees. 25 stores in multiple states. Under $50MM in revenue. 

We have 100% match to 4% now. After seeing a better idea from Wilked in the retirement gamble thread I’m going to propose 150% match up to 6%. 
Why are you trying to renegotiate the company's 401k matching policy and your salary at the same time?

Why not get your compensation renegotiated first?

How replaceable are you?  Buddy of mine was going to leave his company and due to some other attrition would have left them in a bad spot.  He got a very nice retention bonus spread out over next few years plus a bump to director (final details TBD)...but he was prepared to walk 
I fully understand that everyone is replaceable. We actually discussed replacement value in a very candid discussion. I brought it up but I never threatened to leave.

I said we both know you’re going to have to pay this number to an outside applicant. But we also don’t know if that person will be better or worse than me. I have a 20 year track record of high performance and trust, etc. Wouldn't you rather reward me than a new guy off the street?

Why are you trying to renegotiate the company's 401k matching policy and your salary at the same time?

Why not get your compensation renegotiated first?
I said I was going to ask for that and a few other things at the end. Per Power Negotiator Roger Dawson, some nibbles. It hasn’t been brought up yet. 

So they are gonna change their entire 401k structure because of YOU?
I try to look out for everybody. Yes, it would help me greatly, but some manager making $40k it might allow her to actually retire with a few bucks some day. It would help the principals too.

I’ve done it before about 5 years ago. We went from 50% match up to 4% to 100% match up to 4%.

Nothing a higher up likes more than to get a compensation demand, negotiate back, come to an agreement, and then get asked for something else on top of it. 

What prompted the raise ask?  Did the boss ask you guys to ask for raises (it kind of sounds that way in some of your posts) or did you just take it upon yourself to ask?

If it's the later, good for you, far to many people are way too passive when it comes to their value to the company and advocating for yourself.

Good luck and I hope you get it.  What kind of work?
Sorry I’m answering some of these out of order.

We are all well past our “annual” raise date so I’ve been asking him via email every 2-4 months to put a date on the calendar otherwise it’s too easy to put off. He had been saying once we get this project out of the way or once we put this thing behind us, then we’ll talk. Those things are done so he acknowledged that it’s time. Other employees have brought it up to him too. 

He knows I always treat it as a negotiation and he actually used that word unprompted yesterday, which is great for me. Too many people are simply told their raise and accept it imo.

Users who are viewing this thread