What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Allen, BUF (2 Viewers)

Wyoming QB Josh Allen was recorded firing the ball off at 62 MPH at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Allen led all-comers with his fastball. That was expected. Far less expected, the runner-up in the need for speed. That would be Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield, whose arm is considerably less ballyhooed than Allen's golden spinner. Mayfield hit 60 MPH with one of his passes. He and Allen were the only two quarterbacks to hit the 60 MPH threshold, but Josh Rosen also showed out plenty respectably with his arm strength, whipping the ball at 59 MPH. There's not much to read into all of this beyond the fact that Mayfield's arm is stronger than the consensus would have it. We already knew that Allen had a cannon and that Rosen was up there, too. 

Mar 9 - 12:57 PM

Source: Ourlads

His injuries in the last part of the season probably took him down a peg or two.  Accuracy is his problem. Great article and I hope the best for him as a Wyoming alum, but I seriously think he’s destined to be a backup in the NFL or CFL starter.

Wyoming QB Josh Allen produced a composite score in the 82nd percentile; better than any other quarterback who participated in the NFL Scouting Combine.

Let's be honest, Allen's score would have been destroyed had Lamar Jackson participated in any of the athletic testing, but he didn't, so it wasn't. Not only did Allen (6'4/237) have the best composite score, he crushed the competition. No other quarterback was within 15 percentage points of him (Kyle Lauletta finished second at 66.4). The former Cowboy gunslinger also threw the football well, and if he wasn't a legitimate candidate to be the first quarterback off the board, he just might be now. 

Mar 5 - 4:45 PM

Source: 3 Sigma Athlete

AN NFL scout compared Wyoming QB Josh Allen to Phillip Rivers in Bleacher Report writer Matt Miller's scouting notebook.

This is an interesting comp, one that certainly makes sense physically. Allen has become an especially polarizing quarterback on social media. Let's just say that this particular scout may not care about what Twitter and Facebook have to say. "Why does the league like him more than Twitter? Because we know what we're doing," he tells Miller. "Allen had nothing around him and people expect him to complete passes? To who?" Well then. Allen still remains a volatile prospect and likely will until April.

Source: Bleacher Report 

Feb 25 - 1:15 PM

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compared Wyoming QB Josh Allen to former Washington QB Jake Locker.

This is a comp that we have heard a few times before and it's one that figures to continue to circulate as we head into the spring. Writes Zierlein, "Allen can make some truly special throws, but his ability to improve the mental part of his game will determine whether he's a good NFL starter or just another big, strong-armed guy." He additionally touches on the 6-foot-4, 237-pounder's supporting cast (or lack thereof) at Wyoming, long one of the touchstone arguments in Allen's favor among the quarterback's defenders. Zierlein acknowledges that Cowboy wideouts did, indeed, struggle to gain separation last season, but also notes that "there were plenty of times where [Allen's] lack of anticipation and post-snap plan did him in."

Source: NFL.com

Feb 20 - 7:04 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol scouts getting all butthurt. No you actually don’t know what you’re doing or there wouldn’t be Russell Wilson’s going way later than Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, and Brock Osweiler. 

Adam Schein stated on Mad Dog Radio earlier this week that Mike Mayock and Jim Miller were bullish on Josh Allen as an NFL prospect. He also said that Phil Simms sees the accuracy concerns as overblown due to the poor quality of the receivers that Allen had to work with, and due to the fact that Wyoming didn’t utilize screen passes with any degree of frequency that would have helped improve his completion %.

Phil Simms sees Allen in the Roethlisberger/Wentz spectrum of QB talent.

Wyoming QB Josh Allen reportedly "dazzled" at the Cougars' Pro Day on Friday, and afterwards NFL Network's Mike Mayock suggested Allen is more naturally gifted than Eagles QB Carson Wentz.

Allen has drawn some Wentz comparisons in the scouting community. Both are big, athletic, strong-armed passers, and Allen played for the same coach Wentz did at North Dakota State. "From a physical talent perspective, this kid is a better athlete with more arm talent (than Wentz)," Mayock observed. The Cleveland Plain Dealer says Allen "alleviated concerns about his 56.2 completion percentage at Wyoming and kept himself firmly in the conversation for the Browns' No. 1 overall pick." The Browns sent a full contingency of owner Jimmy Haslam, GM John Dorsey, coach Hue Jackson, assistant GM Eliot Wolf, and OC Ken Zampese to watch Allen's workout.

Related: Browns

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Mar 23 - 3:21 PM

Wyoming QB Josh Allen reportedly "dazzled" at the Cougars' Pro Day on Friday, and afterwards NFL Network's Mike Mayock suggested Allen is more naturally gifted than Eagles QB Carson Wentz.

Allen has drawn some Wentz comparisons in the scouting community. Both are big, athletic, strong-armed passers, and Allen played for the same coach Wentz did at North Dakota State. "From a physical talent perspective, this kid is a better athlete with more arm talent (than Wentz)," Mayock observed. The Cleveland Plain Dealer says Allen "alleviated concerns about his 56.2 completion percentage at Wyoming and kept himself firmly in the conversation for the Browns' No. 1 overall pick." The Browns sent a full contingency of owner Jimmy Haslam, GM John Dorsey, coach Hue Jackson, assistant GM Eliot Wolf, and OC Ken Zampese to watch Allen's workout.

Related: Browns
:shrug: physical talent was never the question. But it's only half the equation. 

I actually like Allen, potential wise anyway, but he'll need good coaching even more so than some of the others. IOW, not Cleveland. 

Allen as a Giant, bronco, or maybe a jet is an exciting proposition. But if he goes to Cleveland I'll have no part of him. 

Accuracy issues were clearly on him not his receivers.

-----------------------------------------

J.R.@JReidDraftScout

Target drop passes percentages:

Lamar Jackson - 8.5%
Baker Mayfield - 8.0%
Josh Rosen - 7.5%
Mason Rudolph - 6.6%
Josh Allen - 4.8%
Sam Darnold - 4.3%#SupportingCast

1:26 PM - Dec 22, 2017

-------------------------------------------

The accuracy is a legitimate concern.

One other stat I found a bit troubling was that in two years as a starter he only had two games where he threw for over 300 yards but last year he had three games where he didn't even throw for 100 yards.

Adam Schein stated on Mad Dog Radio earlier this week that Mike Mayock and Jim Miller were bullish on Josh Allen as an NFL prospect. He also said that Phil Simms sees the accuracy concerns as overblown due to the poor quality of the receivers that Allen had to work with, and due to the fact that Wyoming didn’t utilize screen passes with any degree of frequency that would have helped improve his completion %.

Phil Simms sees Allen in the Roethlisberger/Wentz spectrum of QB talent.
I’m probably just trying to talk myself into it in case my Jets do take him but I’m backing off my “bust” label on him a bit. 

No one ever really knows how these QBs will turn out so I may as well just sit and wait and hope.

J.R.@JReidDraftScout

Lamar Jackson - 8.5%
Baker Mayfield - 8.0%
Josh Rosen - 7.5%
Mason Rudolph - 6.6%
Josh Allen - 4.8%

One other stat I found a bit troubling was that in two years as a starter he only had two games where he threw for over 300 yards but last year he had three games where he didn't even throw for 100 yards.
I agree generally but it’s not just about drops if some one says his receivers let him down. Maybe they weren’t getting open or fighting well enough on contested catches.

like I said my concerns are about his accuracy as well, so I’m with you for the most part. 

Throwing a football in shorts without a defense alleviates concerns of actual in-game performance. 
I find it hysterical when we get all these reports about how good a QB looked at his pro day. It would be very difficult for him not to look good running scripted plays with no defensive pressure on him.

J.R.@JReidDraftScout

Lamar Jackson - 8.5%
Baker Mayfield - 8.0%
Josh Rosen - 7.5%
Mason Rudolph - 6.6%
Josh Allen - 4.8%

I want to like the kid because when he throws a good football it is a thing of beauty. It is rare to see a ball come out with such velocity and it is just so effortless for him. However you point out some things that just cannot be ignored. He talked about his accuracy issues after his pro day and praised Jordan Palmer for cleaning up his footwork and fixing a lot of those issues. When bullets start flying again old habits tend to come back quickly however. He is a project who I would feel comfortable looking at in the 2nd round but he will most likely go top 10 to an NFL team enamored with his size and arm.  

I agree generally but it’s not just about drops if some one says his receivers let him down. Maybe they weren’t getting open or fighting well enough on contested catches.

like I said my concerns are about his accuracy as well, so I’m with you for the most part. 
If you look at his tape, his footwork is all over the place.  His accuracy really becomes an issue when he has to re-set his feet.

He average less than 3 yards per carry so he's not a threat  to run with the ball, he is big-lanky and looks a tad awkward on the move.

EXCEPTIONAL arm.  TRULY amazing arm not just in terms of strength but in terms of arm-talent.

His misses are just plain ole baaaaaaad.  I mean his guys get off the LOS and have wide open space in front of them and Josh Allen throws it three yards over their heads on some of those misses and you can hear the crowd going WTfreak.  The windows will  get tighter in the NFL and he'll face better pass rushers so its  tough to project him to improve his accuracy IMHO.

The arm is legit, Elway's completion percentage was bad his first couple of years but he could roll out away from the pass rush to one-side of the field and make an astounding throw to the other side past the hash to a wide-open WR and kill teams.  Josh Allen has  that sort of arm and maybe someone can tease the potential out of him.

------------------

Mike Kaye‏Verified account @mike_e_kaye 19h19 hours ago

Overheard at Outback: "Josh Allen throws so hard it's like he wants to punish the air for existing."

-----------------

Heath Nix‏ @heath_nix 13h13 hours ago

Replying to @mike_e_kaye @AllbrightNFL

At 56% completion percent he must not like the ground either

Maybe short passes, but the result will still not be good.  
Maybe. But that's on the QB and coach. That receiving group would be among the top 5-10 with competent QB and coach. 

Off hand the only teams I'd prefer are the Chiefs, Vikings, maybe eagles. I'm probably missing some. (Of course this assumes Gordon plays most of the year)

Sorry about the hijack.

Pro Football Focus notes that Wyoming QB Josh Allen had the highest percentage of quality red zone throws of the "big six" quarterbacks.

The big six, as a reminder are Allen, USC's Sam Darnold, UCLA's Josh Rosen, Louisville's Lamar Jackson, Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield and Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph. Allen had a positive grade on 37.7 of his throws, easily beating Mayfield (33.3) for first place. Keep in mind that red zone throws are often the most difficult because of spacing, so while 37.7 percent may not seem great, it's a solid number.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

I want to like the kid because when he throws a good football it is a thing of beauty. It is rare to see a ball come out with such velocity and it is just so effortless for him. However you point out some things that just cannot be ignored. He talked about his accuracy issues after his pro day and praised Jordan Palmer for cleaning up his footwork and fixing a lot of those issues. When bullets start flying again old habits tend to come back quickly however. He is a project who I would feel comfortable looking at in the 2nd round but he will most likely go top 10 to an NFL team enamored with his size and arm.  
Do these qb projects work very often? 

He's played football for at least half a dozen years already. If he doesn't play quarterback very well yet, what Jedi-master in the NFL can get it out of him. 

Users who are viewing this thread