What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Allen, BUF (2 Viewers)

Surprised I don't have a star here yet. Month and a half or so ago I moved Barkley, Lock and a 2021 1st that ended up being 1.03 for Allen, Hunt and Slayton in a Superflex FFPC. Made the playoffs but didn't get out of week 14. 

Tremblay and Dodds have Allen ranked high again for week 17, and Bloom has him ranked QB #34 so what gives here?

34Josh AllenBUFvs MIA710950.60.20006.0

Tremblay and Dodds have Allen ranked high again for week 17, and Bloom has him ranked QB #34 so what gives here?

34Josh AllenBUFvs MIA710950.60.20006.0

Guessing Bloom expects him to have an early day of it. Wouldn’t surprise me either if he plays just a few series or maybe a quarter.
That's how the experts are starting to see this play out. I had thought playing for the #2 seed was something to play for. Perhaps this year it's not necessarily that high of a priority. Therefore, Allen plays half the game or so, then sits. Not good for my team as I may have to play a Dalton or a Brees now. We still have side bets to play for and still playing for total points over 17 weeks.

That's how the experts are starting to see this play out. I had thought playing for the #2 seed was something to play for. Perhaps this year it's not necessarily that high of a priority. Therefore, Allen plays half the game or so, then sits. Not good for my team as I may have to play a Dalton or a Brees now. We still have side bets to play for and still playing for total points over 17 weeks.
Yep.

The WC seeds can still go just about any way, but I think I'd rather play the Ravens or dolphins right now if they could choose. Over the browns or colts. You're playing the same team the next week either way, and home field doesn't matter all that much this year, although buffalo could be worse conditions than Pittsburgh. You want the higher seed but perhaps rest means more. Pitt looks to be resting players, which for them seems the right play. They need the rest.

I would probably roll Brees but the saints are down a couple key players.

I know he won’t win the MVP, but he deserves more of a look than he will probably get. Mahomes has been very good, but has actually been pretty uneven over the last 6-7 weeks. Rodgers has been great, but they’ve also played one of the easiest schedules in the league. Allen deserves to be more than the dark horse 3rd guy thrown in there.
If I had a vote Allen would get it. 

I don't believe that you're not buying it for a second.

Must've been a bad Organization. Jets, Bengals, Pats, Dallas(?), and others.

That's not something the Bills as an Organization have to worry about. Us as fans have heard nothing but good praise coming out of OBD as far as the coaching staff/player life is concerned, and how things are run ever since Pegula's took over.  You think Daboll will be gone if he gets an offer? I think Pegula's match the offer or even a little home town discount and he stays.
I think you’re buying into the “fan” thing way too much. These guys are professionals.

I don't believe that you're not buying it for a second.

Must've been a bad Organization. Jets, Bengals, Pats, Dallas(?), and others.

That's not something the Bills as an Organization have to worry about. Us as fans have heard nothing but good praise coming out of OBD as far as the coaching staff/player life is concerned, and how things are run ever since Pegula's took over.  You think Daboll will be gone if he gets an offer? I think Pegula's match the offer or even a little home town discount and he stays.
Allen is a different situation because he's already at the pinnacle of his profession.  He would be the starting QB for like 28 NFL teams right now.  There may be a slight variance in money, but any team is going to give him a max deal.  I am comfortable that he seems to like it here, has a good rapport with coaches and teammates, and has become THE guy in the community, much more than someone like a Jack Eichel for comparison.  I don't think he's going anywhere.

Daboll, though.  None of us know his internal mindset, but having been around my fair share of football coaches over the years, these guys are all incredibly driven for success.  They all believe they can win the big one, can be the best, ultra-competitive - that's what makes them great football coaches.  If Brian Daboll wants a head coaching shot, his stock might not get higher than this.  There are potentially opportunities out there where you can walk into a situation and either hand-pick your QB of the future (Jaguars, Jets) or you've already got one (Chargers etc).  I'm not saying you bolt for the first offer, but there's opportunity to "get your guy" and roll the dice on becoming an NFL head coach.  I'm as big a Bills fan as any of us here, and I'd leave in a heartbeat for the right opportunity, if I wanted that head coaching shot and felt it was the right situation.  

Allen is a different situation because he's already at the pinnacle of his profession.  He would be the starting QB for like 28 NFL teams right now.  There may be a slight variance in money, but any team is going to give him a max deal.  I am comfortable that he seems to like it here, has a good rapport with coaches and teammates, and has become THE guy in the community, much more than someone like a Jack Eichel for comparison.  I don't think he's going anywhere.

Daboll, though.  None of us know his internal mindset, but having been around my fair share of football coaches over the years, these guys are all incredibly driven for success.  They all believe they can win the big one, can be the best, ultra-competitive - that's what makes them great football coaches.  If Brian Daboll wants a head coaching shot, his stock might not get higher than this.  There are potentially opportunities out there where you can walk into a situation and either hand-pick your QB of the future (Jaguars, Jets) or you've already got one (Chargers etc).  I'm not saying you bolt for the first offer, but there's opportunity to "get your guy" and roll the dice on becoming an NFL head coach.  I'm as big a Bills fan as any of us here, and I'd leave in a heartbeat for the right opportunity, if I wanted that head coaching shot and felt it was the right situation.  
If you're Daboll, it would be incredibly difficult to pass up the Jacksonville or San Diego jobs.  The table is already set for any good coach to be tremendously successful quickly in either of those spots.  I'd love to keep him of course, but no hard feelings if he moves on.

If you're Daboll, it would be incredibly difficult to pass up the Jacksonville or San Diego jobs.  The table is already set for any good coach to be tremendously successful quickly in either of those spots.  I'd love to keep him of course, but no hard feelings if he moves on.
Urban Meyer is reportedly getting the Jags job. I think Daboll would be a great match for the Chargers though (LA, not SD  :P ). Herbert would be even more scary with Daboll there.

I'm never not going to call the Chargers "San Diego Chargers" without Herculean efforting. Just won't happen. 

As far as staying on topic, I think Tasker hit the Daboll/Allen nail right on the head with his analysis and doesn't need anybody to add anything to it, so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Urban Meyer is reportedly getting the Jags job. I think Daboll would be a great match for the Chargers though (LA, not SD  :P ). Herbert would be even more scary with Daboll there.
Talking to a buddy that has ties to inside all this said to keep an eye on the Chargers regarding Daboll.  The Chargers GM is Tom Telesco who went to St. Francis high school with Daboll and they are still friends.  
I think Daboll would flourish there. 

Good grief.   Allen has really become a very good passer of the football.   There is some outstanding QB talent in the NFL these days and this kid is up there.  

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Bills plan to approach Josh Allen about a contract extension this offseason.

Allen would have two years left on his rookie contract if Buffalo picked up his fifth-year option. Coming off an MVP level 2020, extending Allen this offseason would take a massive deal, potentially making him the highest paid quarterback in the league. The NFL's projected salary cap decrease in 2021 could play a role in Allen's deal after a COVID-impacted regular season, but it won't be surprising if the sides reach a deal this summer.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jan 9, 2021, 9:23 AM ET

Josh Allen completed 26-of-35 passes for 324 yards and two touchdowns in the Bills' 27-24 Wild Card Weekend in against the Colts, adding 11 rushes for 54 yards and a touchdown. 

Allen started slow but picked apart the Colts' secondary through much of the second half. He had a handful of designed runs -- including a beautifully executed read-option touchdown run at the goal line -- in Buffalo's first postseason victory since the first Clinton administration. Allen demonstrated his arm strength and willingness to take chances on several first half throws, proving unstoppable with Stefon Diggs once again wrecking an opposing secondary. Allen will look to continue gunslinging his way toward a Super Bowl next week in the Divisional Round. 

Jan 9, 2021, 4:40 PM ET

Josh Allen completed 23-of-37 passes for 206 yards and one touchdown in the Bills' Divisional Round win over the Ravens.

The Ravens' secondary did a good job of limiting Allen's chances of hitting deep passes, but the third-year pro took what was given underneath and avoided turnovers. It's the type of win only the 2020-21 version of Allen can pull off. The Bills will have all of their pass-catchers healthy for the AFC Conference Championship, which will take place in Kansas City if the Chiefs beat the Browns on Sunday. Allen will have to play at his best to pull off the upset then. 

- Rotoworld

Josh Allen completed 28-of-48 passes for 287 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception and ran for 88 yards on 7 attempts in the Bills' 38-24, AFC Championship loss to the Chiefs.

Allen led the Bills in rushing but absorbed four sacks for a net loss of 53 yards. Allen's first touchdown was a three-yard score to Dawson Knox after a muffed Mecole Hardman punt, and the second was a late six-yarder to Isaiah McKenzie. Allen's 2020 was one for the books, and he's going to get MVP votes after leading the Bills to a 13-3 record and the AFC's No. 2 seed. Allen took major leaps and bounds in his third year, upping his completion rate from 58.8% to 69.2% while completing 396-of-572 throws, attempts 111 more passes than he did a year ago. OC Brian Daboll ran an aggressive pass-first offense, and Allen was electric in it with 4,544 yards and a 37:10 TD:INT mark after posting 20:9 last season. Allen also went 102-421-8 as a runner. He was fantasy's overall QB2 in points per game behind Patrick Mahomes. Allen's arrow is screaming upward with Daboll coming back to Buffalo in 2021. The Bills will be legit Super Bowl contenders if Allen continues his rise.

- Rotoworld

Josh Allen may be my favorite QB.  A lot of folks were very wrong about him coming into the league.  Just goes to show How hard it is picking the right one.   Sometimes it is better to be lucky.

Josh Allen may be my favorite QB.  A lot of folks were very wrong about him coming into the league.  Just goes to show How hard it is picking the right one.   Sometimes it is better to be lucky.
I don't think people were necessarily wrong about him. They just didn't think it was realistic for him to develop into this, myself included. 

Agreed, this pick was met with much skepticism...even those who liked him didn't see him getting to this level this quickly.

You didn’t think he would develop into a great QB.  Doesn’t that still mean you were wrong? 
About the outcome? Well, yeah, but I think that's a poor assessment method. Misses are baked into the expectation, so the opportunities for improvement are within the evaluation process. What about the evaluation of this prospect do you think others missed on that could enhance future assessments? I'm not aware of a good answer to that question, but I am willing to listen if anyone has any incite. As is, I think he's an anomaly.

About the outcome? Well, yeah, but I think that's a poor assessment method. Misses are baked into the expectation, so the opportunities for improvement are within the evaluation process. What about the evaluation of this prospect do you think others missed on that could enhance future assessments? I'm not aware of a good answer to that question, but I am willing to listen if anyone has any incite. As is, I think he's an anomaly.
My guess...I am fully convinced that besides talent the biggest thing for a young QBs development is whether they go to a quality franchise with good coaching...at the time of Allen’s draft Buffalo really wasn’t seen as that type of place and their QB history bears that out...in hindsight we now know they are currently well run and have a very good coach and this has helped Allen develop and flourish.

My guess...I am fully convinced that besides talent the biggest thing for a young QBs development is whether they go to a quality franchise with good coaching...at the time of Allen’s draft Buffalo really wasn’t seen as that type of place and their QB history bears that out...in hindsight we now know they are currently well run and have a very good coach and this has helped Allen develop and flourish.
I agree - and I'm reminding myself of this in regards to Zach Wilson.

(insight)  What was there: prototypical NFL QB physically.  What was amiss:  accuracy.  What wasn't disclosed: level of coaching, mental ability.  It was my opinion at the time (and still is) that accuracy issues are mechanical and can be fixed.  

(insight)  What was there: prototypical NFL QB physically.  What was amiss:  accuracy.  What wasn't disclosed: level of coaching, mental ability.  It was my opinion at the time (and still is) that accuracy issues are mechanical and can be fixed.  
Isn't that the reason why so many QBs bust?

Grigs Allmoon said:
Good grief. They put a hell of a lot of effort into it, too.
It's actually pretty funny

When it comes to draft picks nobody knows what they are talking about.  It's a combination of the talent, coaching, lucky bounces, the team, the competition etc...it's almost impossible to predict.  

It's actually pretty funny

When it comes to draft picks nobody knows what they are talking about.  It's a combination of the talent, coaching, lucky bounces, the team, the competition etc...it's almost impossible to predict.  
I do think it’s extremely difficult. The hit rates for 1st round picks are higher than other rounds, but it’s still only like 50% to draft even an average starter.

Any league where the greatest player in league history can be drafted in the last round of the draft is pretty good evidence of how hard it is to consistently draft well.

I’m very sympathetic to the idea that trading down to acquire more picks on a routine basis is one of the better ways to go. With such a low hit rate, the more swings you get the better.

I do think it’s extremely difficult. The hit rates for 1st round picks are higher than other rounds, but it’s still only like 50% to draft even an average starter.

Any league where the greatest player in league history can be drafted in the last round of the draft is pretty good evidence of how hard it is to consistently draft well.

I’m very sympathetic to the idea that trading down to acquire more picks on a routine basis is one of the better ways to go. With such a low hit rate, the more swings you get the better.
I'm also a big fan of that strategy as well.  It's what New England has done well.  Understand that you aren't going to get a world beater and your team is probably better off for it anyway.  It's hard to remain competitive when you are paying a rb, a lb, a cb, a te etc > $20 million per year anyway.  Get a QB yes, but otherwise work the draft

JohnnyU said:
Isn't that the reason why so many QBs bust?
I agree there.  The pro game is quantum leaps above the college game.  You gotta hope the GMs have the ability to gain that info!

Bills exercised QB Josh Allen's fifth-year team option for 2022. 

The same is true for LB Tremaine Edmunds. Coming off one of the most stunning third-year leaps in NFL history, 24-year-old Allen revealed himself to be an MVP contender instead of franchise quarterback question mark in 2020. His campaign was the definition of "putting it all together," and has the Bills in the conference title mix after more than two decades in the AFC wilderness. Allen is also a top-three Dynasty quarterback, one who can carry teams with both his passing and rushing. 

RELATED: 

Tremaine Edmunds

May 3, 2021, 11:21 AM ET

FMIA Guest: Greg Cosell On The NFL Evolution Of X And O Film Study

Excerpt:

4. I think, speaking of Josh Allen, he is the most physically gifted quarterback in the NFL. That is not a bold, controversial take. It is just a statement of fact. Whether he develops into the best quarterback in the NFL is a different question, one that remains to be answered. Remember, Allen is 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds. Think about that for a moment. I have stood right next to him, and he is a big man. I stood a few feet away watching him throw, and I have never seen a ball come out of the hand of a passer like it does with Allen. It was otherworldly. The name that often comes up, and rightly so, when the talk is of the most physically talented quarterbacks of all time is John Elway. Allen is a much bigger man than Elway. Allen is the most intriguing quarterback I have watched and evaluated in all my years at NFL Films. It would not surprise me at all if we soon call Allen the most physically gifted quarterback the league has ever seen. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread