What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (3 Viewers)

Important to get out of the gate quickly.  They only get 8 home games and have to make hay.  Divisional opponents are extra relevant for tiebreakers, so it is a bit more than one game in the standings.  lets get this mother started.  I feel like I lost last year due to Rodger's injury.  I need some packer football, winning Packer Football.

Drive results 1st half:

Punt, punt, punt, punt, lost fumble, pick 6

Drive results 2nd half:

FG, touchdown, touchdown, touchdown

Drive results 1st half:

Punt, punt, punt, punt, lost fumble, pick 6

Drive results 2nd half:

FG, touchdown, touchdown, touchdown
For all the McCarthy can’t make adjustments crowd?  He me see to as playcalling was bad until Rodgers got hurt.  Thought they called it well for Kizer and I’ll get to my breakdown in a bit.  

But they definitely knew how limited Rodgers was and stripped some things down to get the ball out quicker.

Thoughts on the game...

First off Mack is really good and it sucks we had a shot at him and he ended up with the Bears.  Definitely changed the game plan for the team.  It should have changed quicker.  Early on was typical McCarthy with longer developing plays, rely on Rodgers ability to move around to let plays develop.  Even with the rush getting to him and disrupting it all, they stuck with it rather than quick passes and Rodgers ends up hurt.  I will credit McCarthy for how he called for Kizer and then making the right adjustments in the 2nd half.  Also, for all the crap he gets, MM again made a nice challenge that saved GB a timeout and some field position for the Bears.

Kizer...all people will remember is the strip fumble by Mack and the Pick 6 by Mack.  And thats fair as they were huge plays.  But looking further into things...he came in when the offense had not been moving the ball.  McCarthy had him with the quicker reads and they moved down the field very well and he made some nice throws. 3rd down though in FG range he has got to secure the ball.  On the INT...good play call with all that rush, but maybe not on 3rd and 19 when you could hear them calling out screen immediately.  Part of that is because Linsley completely let his guy go without even a small chip and that screwed everything up.

RB...there wasn't much to the run game last night to speak of.  Biggest play was probably Williams picking up the blitz.  As I posted in the game thread with the link...that is why he will be on the field likely more than Jones.

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1038982872349200386?s=21

WR...the demise of Geronimo and Cobb was greatly exaggerated.  Allison seemed involved from early on and made some very nice catches and ability to run after the catch.  Good to see him do that...definitely holding the rookies off for longer than I thought.  Cobb...well, as DW just said, Cobb against the Bears has been wonderful.  As soon as they went quicker, Rodgers looked to him a lot and he was a huge part of the 2nd half game plan.  And Davante...well, he is pretty good.  Ty made some nice plays in the pass game too.

OL...there were bad parts of course...the Linsley whiff on the screen and Bulaga had his hands full...but they settled down in the 2nd half and whether its to credit the coaching or to the fault of them...it wasn't max protect stuff.  They were letting Bulaga mostly go one on one all night long.

Defense...was happy to see coaching not sit back soft on those last drives.  I think there was one long play where they rushed 3...but after that they seemed to be a bit more aggressive than Capers attempts to close out games.

DL...Collinsworth kept talking about the front...I thought they played well, not a lot of pressure, but they did not allow Chicago to do much up the middle.  Everything was to the outside to sort of neutralize them.  I expect more teams to do so and especially next week with Cook.  Put pressure on the DBs and LBs to tackle and take advantage of a point Im about to make.

Clay Matthews...still overaggressive and still missing tackles on the edge. Teams should and will run to the outside on us as long as he is playing like that...bites on every fake.  And then the boneheaded penalty.  I get it was close (Clark's roughing call too).  But he sort of jumped and him him high where if he just bumps him lower on the body without jumping a bit, he is probably fine.  

Gilbert and Perry played pretty well.  There wasn't a ton of pressure...but Perry made the sack when it really mattered, and Gilbert had a nice play covering Cohen late in that game too.

DBs...nice to see those young DBs playing pretty good coverage.  I can't really complain much about them.  Also nice to see HaHa make that tackle on the TE short of the first down to force a punt late in the game.  He also took a bad angle on one of Howard's runs late and got sucked inside...he and clay both.

Lastly...just when you think Rodgers can not amaze you more...the guy goes out on one leg and does that.  Made throws very very few people ever can make and did it without planting the left leg at all.  Calm, cool, confident...just flat out awesome.  Hoping for some good tests the next few days.

On the Bears first two drives I was missing Dom Capers.  After, not so much.

Packers rush lane discipline was not very good.

Ha Ha may have saved the game with his tackle of the Bears T.E. short of the first down.

Ty Montgomery looks huge, physically.

Very apprehensive about the injury.

Injury brought back the quick passing game that had them looking like an offensive juggernaut in 2011.

Clay, Clay, Clay, Clay, Clay!  Get your head in the game!

Nice to see the officials protecting at least one Q.B. last night.

Nice Wisconsin weekend what with this game, Bucky's win, and the Brewers showing some fight.  Hell, all we needed was some good Bucks news for a clean sweep.

Danica better have been gentle last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
DeShone Kizer / Brent Hundley, I can't tell the difference. 

Shake it off kid.  Think ball security. Ball security is job security.

Any local news/sentiment on Rodgers’ injury?

What he did was amazing but can’t expect that week after week if he has little to no mobility.

Any local news/sentiment on Rodgers’ injury?

What he did was amazing but can’t expect that week after week if he has little to no mobility.
I expect the Packers already know, but like Rodgers said last night we will not get the news until Wednesday.  It will be a hard wait. 

Me. I like the Rodgers who is forced more often than not to throw on time rather than the one who looks for the big play so often.  Ideally this would be because he choses to do so rather than because he is hurt and has no choice, but I think, over the years, he has forgotten, a bit, how effective timing Rodgers is.  I love timing Rodgers over big play Rodgers.  Timing Rodgers gets plenty of big plays by playing within the framework of the offense, he just needs to remember that and to stop believing his own press.

What a terrible game.

Rodgers...was good and bad at times.  Whatever the bootleg attempt was, and then holding the ball to take the sack in OT...so bad.  But then you see the drive at the end of the 1st half for a TD and the end of regulation to get them into FG range with no timeouts...hard to really be that critical of him.  Just bad timing on those 2 plays in OT.

Running game...I think McCarthy needs to lean on this a little more.  It was pretty effective with both Williams and Montgomery.  And he gets away from it for stretches.  OT, Minnesota already missed...you are basically in FG range on 2nd and one.  Either take the deep shot if Rodgers has it there, or just run the ball.  Im not sure if that was a Rodgers call for the rollout/bootleg or what...but man with a guy with a bad wheel...Id have liked to see them just run that damn thing there and try and get out with a win.

WRs...really pretty good all around here.  Adams had the one drop early in the game on a high pass...and let the one get knocked out late in the 4th...but overall played really well.  Allison made some good and tough catches and Cobb again showing he still has plenty left in the tank.  Nice to see Graham get involved a bit more too.

OL...1st half played so well.  2nd half was more spotty for sure.  Some of that is on coaching.

D...3 really nice quarters of play.  And an awful 4th quarter that reminded too many of us of Capers.  Never never never have House covering Diggs...I know King went out...put someone else on Diggs!  They did pretty well agaisnt the run today...but tackling was pretty poor in the 4th Q and OT.

Crosby...from so good...to missing that one hurts...can't blame him much though.  Guy was money.

Coaching...piss poor late.  From the clock management, play calling...O and D coaching was poor.

Officiating...we all know how bad that was.  2 roughing the passer calls in this game were utter BS.  Minny's hurt them for basically 10 yards in what was a FG drive by GB.  GB's took away a game ending INT.  THe OPI call on Adams early in the game I think...awful.  And that holding call that took away Grahams TD (that would have also made a huge difference in the end of regulation score)...terrible.  yes...we got away with some stuff too and they called some real crap...but taking away TDs and game ending INTs just hurt us way more.  That crew was terrible.

sho nuff said:
What a terrible game.

Rodgers...was good and bad at times.  Whatever the bootleg attempt was, and then holding the ball to take the sack in OT...so bad.  But then you see the drive at the end of the 1st half for a TD and the end of regulation to get them into FG range with no timeouts...hard to really be that critical of him.  Just bad timing on those 2 plays in OT.

Running game...I think McCarthy needs to lean on this a little more.  It was pretty effective with both Williams and Montgomery.  And he gets away from it for stretches.  OT, Minnesota already missed...you are basically in FG range on 2nd and one.  Either take the deep shot if Rodgers has it there, or just run the ball.  Im not sure if that was a Rodgers call for the rollout/bootleg or what...but man with a guy with a bad wheel...Id have liked to see them just run that damn thing there and try and get out with a win.

WRs...really pretty good all around here.  Adams had the one drop early in the game on a high pass...and let the one get knocked out late in the 4th...but overall played really well.  Allison made some good and tough catches and Cobb again showing he still has plenty left in the tank.  Nice to see Graham get involved a bit more too.

OL...1st half played so well.  2nd half was more spotty for sure.  Some of that is on coaching.

D...3 really nice quarters of play.  And an awful 4th quarter that reminded too many of us of Capers.  Never never never have House covering Diggs...I know King went out...put someone else on Diggs!  They did pretty well agaisnt the run today...but tackling was pretty poor in the 4th Q and OT.

Crosby...from so good...to missing that one hurts...can't blame him much though.  Guy was money.

Coaching...piss poor late.  From the clock management, play calling...O and D coaching was poor.

Officiating...we all know how bad that was.  2 roughing the passer calls in this game were utter BS.  Minny's hurt them for basically 10 yards in what was a FG drive by GB.  GB's took away a game ending INT.  THe OPI call on Adams early in the game I think...awful.  And that holding call that took away Grahams TD (that would have also made a huge difference in the end of regulation score)...terrible.  yes...we got away with some stuff too and they called some real crap...but taking away TDs and game ending INTs just hurt us way more.  That crew was terrible.
Really good summary.  Spot on.

Hope to see Aaron Jones get a shot.   Williams just looks so slow.  Ty looked, IMO, far superior to Williams.

McCarthy needs to get his #### together when it comes to clock management.  He just doesn't learn from it.  Hurts to tie in what was a winnable game, vs a divisional opponent, at home.  This should have been a "W" the way it went today.

Can McCarthy do a Vontae Davis next week at half time? Please.

Williams is just fine but the Packers are no where near committed to running anything. Williams could easily average 80 yards a game if they give him the ball. McCarthy can go at any time.

sho nuff said:
What a terrible game.

My favorite was the missed PI on the Graham play down the sideline followed up immediately by calling PI on Adams.  The refs missed it wrong in both directions except they had the unifying theme of screwing the Packers in each direction.  That gave Minnesota a possession they may not have had.  Follow that up with taking away a turnover to end the game and you have pretty egregious officiating.

I would like to see an all 22 view of what the Packers were hoping to accomplish on that read option fumble by Rodgers at the end of the game.  Was a T.E. dragging across, a W.R. breaking one off, or was that a naked boot by a gimpy Q.B?  Regardless Rodgers has to keep proper spacing so the backs thigh does not punch the ball.  A tough play for a gimpy Q.B.

Long and short, if Rodgers got out of the game no worse for wear it is a win, even if right now it feels like a loss.  for me the worse part was reliving the Seattle trauma of a few years ago.  An undeserved, improbable T.D. late with a 2-pt conversion to tie.  Anyway, on to Washington for another chapter in should Rodgers have been the first Q.B. selected in his draft class. 

Yes, I don't want to be a group of whiny fans that we see so often with other rivals in the division. The refs made a few mistakes. GB had plenty of opportunities to over-come those bad mistakes. Poor clock management killed them, as well as failure to finish in OT with their possession. Overall I am not too upset about a tie. At least it was a tie with a divisional opponent. 

Yes, I don't want to be a group of whiny fans that we see so often with other rivals in the division. The refs made a few mistakes. GB had plenty of opportunities to over-come those bad mistakes. Poor clock management killed them, as well as failure to finish in OT with their possession. Overall I am not too upset about a tie. At least it was a tie with a divisional opponent. 
Better than an L...but a game they should have closed out in the 4th.

Like DW, a game against a tough D and Rodgers appears to have come out of it ok makes it a bit easier to swallow.

Hopefully they use this game - and the piss poor officiating - as motivation next week in what is typically a let down game.   Will anyone be surprised if we lose 20-17 this week?  

Hopefully they use this game - and the piss poor officiating - as motivation next week in what is typically a let down game.   Will anyone be surprised if we lose 20-17 this week?  
I will.  I think Rodgers has the boys rallied for the entire year, already.  I also see young guys getting better each week on offense and defense.  I am disappointed thus far in McCarthy and in Daniels and Wilkerson, but otherwise, things are good. 

The call on Mathews was bad, and worth discussing, but its not an excuse for losing this game.  The Packers should have won the game and need only look in the mirror to see why they lost.*

* tied, I suppose, but its really a loss

If Aaron is not improving in his health he should be held out of a game, say this week or next week.  Gimpy he is at greater risk.  Have to get him healthy.  We should be able to beat Buffalo with Kizer.

What's the latest with Rodgers? Did he practice today?

Would you keep him on your bench for Jimmy G?

Josh Sitton seems to be done for good in Miami.

Morgan Burnett has an injured groin (yet again) and will sit out this week.

Julius Peppers is starting slow and doesn't appear worth the money he wanted here.

Packers have a consistent approach of avoiding overpaying old guys.  This goes back to the Marco Rivera days - and it seems to (mostly) work.  Not sure how Tramon Williams fits that model.....

If Aaron is not improving in his health he should be held out of a game, say this week or next week.  Gimpy he is at greater risk.  Have to get him healthy.  We should be able to beat Buffalo with Kizer.
Yeah not sure Kizer can beat Buffalo, and you can't afford a loss to the worst team in football

Josh Sitton seems to be done for good in Miami.

Morgan Burnett has an injured groin (yet again) and will sit out this week.

Julius Peppers is starting slow and doesn't appear worth the money he wanted here.

Packers have a consistent approach of avoiding overpaying old guys.  This goes back to the Marco Rivera days - and it seems to (mostly) work.  Not sure how Tramon Williams fits that model.....
Yet every year people complain about not signing these guys. In most cases within two years they're nobodies

Yeah not sure Kizer can beat Buffalo, and you can't afford a loss to the worst team in football

Yet every year people complain about not signing these guys. In most cases within two years they're nobodies
Flip side is we've been spending that money on Clay and Cobb instead, and they haven't done enough to earn that payday.  Really like our young rookies -- they look like players, unlike to garbage TT had drafted recently.

Kendricks needs to be cut with his brick hands. I don’t get why at least one of the rookies isn’t getting some play time, can’t be worse then Kendricks or Cobb was today. Another BS call on Clay, the booth and the ex head official said it shouldn’t have been called. 

Kendricks needs to be cut with his brick hands. I don’t get why at least one of the rookies isn’t getting some play time, can’t be worse then Kendricks or Cobb was today. Another BS call on Clay, the booth and the ex head official said it shouldn’t have been called. 
Kendricks is just a placeholder until Kumerow gets healthy...

3 guarantees in life, death, taxes, and Bulaga will get hurt sooner than later. What a waste of a roster spot/cap space

Rodgers was not the issue that game, for sure.  He played phenomenal. There were a dozen penalties, many dropped balls, and several key injuries that doomed the team.  He's not the issue.

Piss poor plan...piss poor execution...sloppy all around.

Rodgers...while he wasn't bad...he wasn't great either. Had a few that could have very easily been picked off...and missed some open guys (one Davante almost made a circus catch behind him very early in the game).  It was a good performance, but they needed more than good...and his WRs of course then didn't help him out either.

Oline...meh...too many holds at big times...and letting the ends push back into Rodgers too easy. Need a RT bad.  I get giving Bulaga a try to come back this year, but you have to have more preparedness for him being hurt.

RBs...and will talk coaching...people will complain about a lot of things McCarthy does or doesn't do and a lot of times its inconsistent talk from people.  Today was one that I have been saying for a while...he just doesn't have it in him to stick to something in the run game. They will rattle off several good runs...then you see it go pass pass pass pass.  Yesterday was a great example of that with Jones...rips off several nice runs...then goes pass happy...then you don't see Jones for several series.  Its clear it should be Jones getting the majority of the carries...Ty spelling him and taking some receptions out of the backfield.  But Williams role should be minimal right now.

WR/TE...FFS catch the damn ball.

D....pretty poor all around in the first half.  Jaire and Brice should be picked on deep by every team until they really make a play.  They don't seem in sync at all.  Talent is there, but needs more consistency and work.  Someone please cover a TE?  And now losing Wilkerson Daniels and Clark really need to step up...its been pretty poor up the middle this year.  There is no pressure here...none.  Perry is nonexistent, Gilbert appears to have been a preseason wonder only...nothing from the interior...and Clay gets flagged if he breathes too hard on a QB (when he isn't overplaying every run play)

Some consistency is needed from the O and D.

D strung together a good 2nd half against Chicago, 3 quarters against Minnesota, and good 2nd half yesterday.  Offense...probably fewer good quarters at this point.

The Bears lead the division.

Rodgers is still gimpy.

Graham is in witness protection.

Matthews is an impact player every game so far.

Wilkerson will be just as impactful from the sideline, if he is out, as he has been in the line-up. 

Somebody stole Randall Cobb's thumbs.

Pass Interference, its not just for breakfast anymore.

GB Minnesota.  The only positive from the weekend.

The Pack’s week 3 loss at Washington was an embarrassment.  One loss isn’t the end of the world, but that was one disheartening effort by every part of the team.  That starts and ends with Mike McCarthy.  His offensive scheme and play-calling has gotten stale and is no longer a strength.  The most frustrating part of the game from a head coach decision making process was the end of the first half.  Why the hell didn’t he take some timeouts and give Rodgers a minute and a half to get into scoring position instead of 30 seconds?  ARod still moved the ball and gave Crosby a chance to hit a long field goal, but McCarthy’s decision to not use those timeouts is indefensible.  It’s not a difference of strategic opinion…it was just plain stupid.

The schedule is relatively soft over the next three weeks before the week 7 bye (BUF, @DET, SF w/out Garoppolo).  If Green Bay is a serious Super Bowl contender, they need to win all three before going to LA to play the Rams followed by a trip to New England.  If the team loses the next three games Mike McCarthy should be fired.  Yup.  If the Packers can only muster one win in the next three games the franchise should absolutely consider it during the bye.  I realize this won’t happen, but maybe it should?  Yes, it’s gotten to that point with the Packers and McCarthy IMO.  Hopefully all goes well and the team takes care of business and enters the bye at 4-1-1, but will anybody be surprised when the Pack drops one of those games and looks mediocre at 3-2-1 entering the bye and some tough games?  Me either.

A few other observations (which may or may not enforce the main point that our head coach is not getting the job done):

- Why is Lance Kendricks playing?  Watching him and Jimmy Graham get blown up on running plays sucks and Kendricks hasn’t been much of a pass-catcher in a while.  Marcedes Lewis is a beast of a blocker and I like what we saw from Tonyan in the exhibition games.  Unless one of those three TE’s has some injury we’re not aware of…it’s time to cut Kendricks outright.

- Give Aaron Jones the damn ball.  Enough with the BS – he’s clearly the best running back the team has.  Williams may be a hell of a pass blocker and Montgomery is versatile, but is any defensive coordinator scheming for those two?  Hell no.  Maybe they won’t for Jones either, but at least he can make them pay for that decision.

- The interior of the offensive line is kind of weak and Spriggs sucks.  Next draft can we please, pretty please, draft an offensive lineman that played guard and will continue to do so in the NFL?  Enough with tackle only olineman.  As Rodgers ages (and/or he loses mobility when injuries hit) the team needs more of a physical force in that interior.

- Muhammad Wilkerson’s ankle injury hurts big-time.  He looked really solid early on and now that’s just one more body offensive coordinators can send at Daniels, Clark, and the pass-rushers.  Arggh!  That injury may expose a lack of depth in the front 7 overall.  I hope not, but it’s a real possibility.

- Kentrell Brice had a rough day.  Related - Is Jones a bust?  The safety spot is stocked full with available veteran options, but how long until the Pack makes a move?  Eric Reid would be a significant upgrade at safety right now.  It’s clearly a problem.

One more thing…the call on Clay Matthews was a joke.  The NFL calls Fox Sports to say it was the correct call within minutes?  Please.  The league is absolutely in double-down mode, and (unlike past rules non-sense) it appears most fans are now paying attention to the man behind the curtain of the NFL’s “nothing to see here” Wizard of Oz act.  Screw them.  That said, that call was bad but (unlike week 2) didn’t cost the Packers a win.  The Packers played like total crap yesterday and got their collective backsides handed to them.  They’ve now got three weeks to right the ship or we may be looking at another lost season as Aaron Rodgers Super Bowl window slips away.

Don't look now, but the Packers have kicked the tires on the possibility of a Le'Veon Bell trade 

I see the Jets are reported to be officially interested. I am not aware of the seriousness of what I've heard from GB. Just a rumor. 

That aside, what would we all think about trading for Bell, and presumably having to pony up a large 3 year contract for him? (I believe that's what he's looking for?) 

ETA: I just read he is not able to sign long term for anyone; he must play under the franchise tag for this year, so it would be a 1 year rental. PIT gets a compensatory 3rd rounder, so an offer would have to be higher than that. a 3rd or 2nd rounder seems like a steep price to pay for a rental... and I'm not sure we have 11 million in cap space to absorb this, so it's possible it's just wishing I'm hearing from my guy in GB

Don't look now, but the Packers have kicked the tires on the possibility of a Le'Veon Bell trade 

I see the Jets are reported to be officially interested. I am not aware of the seriousness of what I've heard from GB. Just a rumor. 

That aside, what would we all think about trading for Bell, and presumably having to pony up a large 3 year contract for him? (I believe that's what he's looking for?) 

ETA: I just read he is not able to sign long term for anyone; he must play under the franchise tag for this year, so it would be a 1 year rental. PIT gets a compensatory 3rd rounder, so an offer would have to be higher than that. a 3rd or 2nd rounder seems like a steep price to pay for a rental... and I'm not sure we have 11 million in cap space to absorb this, so it's possible it's just wishing I'm hearing from my guy in GB
Man.  I just don't see that happening.  

I love the sound of his talent in prime condition on our team and what options that gives Rodgers.

I don't know where he is physically right now...mentally playing a possible franchise rental...ugh.  That makes it look worse.

Man.  I just don't see that happening.  

I love the sound of his talent in prime condition on our team and what options that gives Rodgers.

I don't know where he is physically right now...mentally playing a possible franchise rental...ugh.  That makes it look worse.
I don't see it happening and I'm not sure I'd want Bell. He would be a great 1 year rental but for a third or more is too much for that, and I wouldn't feel comfortable breaking the bank for a RB with a lot of miles. 

Personally, I like using one of our top picks on a RB like Love, Anderson, or Harris. Or signing a guy like Yeldon... I am a big fan of his and think he's much better than a backup change of pace guy.

Users who are viewing this thread