What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (3 Viewers)

I feel like McDaniels will be offered the job, but I honestly hope I am wrong. I would rather see Carmichael or Swinney. 
I think he will be too. I dont mind it. 

I like how he schemes wrs open. His offense fits GB very well as our offensive roster mimics New England pretty closely.

Maybe not a popular choice but I would just as soon get rid of Jimmy Graham as well. The 7+ million in dead money leaves a bitter taste but it also creates 5+ million in cap space. This team needs to spend some draft picks on young TE's in stead of free agent retreads. They seem to have no problem always drafting a few more WR.

I think he will be too. I dont mind it. 

I like how he schemes wrs open. His offense fits GB very well as our offensive roster mimics New England pretty closely.
Agreed and maybe the Packers will start using Aaron Jones the way the Patriots use James White. I'm not enamored with McDaniels but feel he would be a solid pick...I won't hate it like some.

You guys have been warned.  What McDaniels can do as an OC with Belicheck cracking the whip is in no way predictive in what McDaniels would do as a HC.  He’s done nothing so far but prove he has no business being a HC, and I’m sure not interested in seeing if that tiger can change its stripes with this team.  Let him go destroy another team.

So with a season behind us if you could do it over again would you have rather kept Jordy around for 2018 or have brought in Jimmy Graham for 2018? I felt after they cut Jordy and then signed Graham why the heck did they not keep Jordy who had so much chemistry with Rodgers? 

Both Jordy and Jimmy are past their prime and clearly have been against the Jimmy Graham signing since day 1. I just can't wrap my head around how this organization thought cutting Jordy and then giving that money to Jimmy was a worthwhile move. Then you go and spend a bunch of draft picks on the WR spot and continue to not invest any picks at TE. I just still struggle with understanding where this was supposed to go?

So with a season behind us if you could do it over again would you have rather kept Jordy around for 2018 or have brought in Jimmy Graham for 2018? I felt after they cut Jordy and then signed Graham why the heck did they not keep Jordy who had so much chemistry with Rodgers? 
Jordy for sure in hindsight.  

TEs are supposed to be good in this draft (though I have no idea myself). The Saints' pick will be at the end of the 1st round and could be used on TE if the Packers get an edge rusher with the #12 pick.

Lewis and Kendricks are free agents and presumably gone, leaving only Tonyan and Graham on the roster. For now I expected Graham to return but a lot could change this spring.

You guys have been warned.  What McDaniels can do as an OC with Belicheck cracking the whip is in no way predictive in what McDaniels would do as a HC.  He’s done nothing so far but prove he has no business being a HC, and I’m sure not interested in seeing if that tiger can change its stripes with this team.  Let him go destroy another team.
Good news. They didn't want him.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1082411956387147777

Looks like LaFleur is going to be the guy.  Seems like a solid choice should make the McDaniels haters happy.

I have no idea if this guy is ready or capable of being a HC.  He’s got strong ties to Kyle Shanahan.  Seems like a real shot in the dark.  That’s an awfully risky roll of the dice given what Rodgers has left.  Hope it turns out great but definitely not what I expected.

I have no idea if this guy is ready or capable of being a HC.  He’s got strong ties to Kyle Shanahan.  Seems like a real shot in the dark.  That’s an awfully risky roll of the dice given what Rodgers has left.  Hope it turns out great but definitely not what I expected.
Ditto.   A bit disappointed, but let's face it - none of us really know what we are talking about.  Here's what scares me: 1)   Mariota looked as bad this year as ever, 2) LeFleur needed to be forced to give the ball to D Henry, who promptly went wild when given the chance.    Makes you wonder if LaFleur is very good at coaching.

Anyway, Mark Murphy is an ### clown, so if he's making the decision it will probably be a cluster.  Hope to be massively wrong.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1082411956387147777

Looks like LaFleur is going to be the guy.  Seems like a solid choice should make the McDaniels haters happy.
I'm so selfishly happy for my Titans.

Zero understanding of rhythm, hot hand....any of that. Run the plays he wants because he wants and that's that. Guy had zero play calling experience before the Titans and now he got promoted after running a 25th ranked O.

He is smart and he nailed tons of interviews last year where the Titans were ready to sign him as the HC before they got Vrabel. Over n over, people say this guy interviews so well. During the Thursday pressers, he is honest and accepts blame. I surely appreciate that.

One thing here, he's the coach, not the OC. He is a manager of a company moreso than what everyone is thinking about the Packers offense. Unless the Pack say he's calling plays and it's his O and all...it might be an interesting hire. His intelligence, his youth, and he can tell an OC what he sees? He and Rodgers looking at film together? 

Rams stuff if he is the play caller-

The Rams offense employs zone blocking- does the Pack? You're gonna need new linemen then

The Rams had to rebuild Goff and get him comfy. McVay's O was easy reads and snap N throws. Once Goff got comfy, they opened it up more but with Gurley and an impressive D, just a little bit. This year they added on more as Goff matured, but LaFleur wasn't there for that.

I think what he'll try and do with the Packers will be more like the Falcons than the Rams. It suits the roster way better

Clearly must have blown them away in the interviews but smells a bit like desperation, hiring a guy and hoping he caught the Shanahan/McVay magic. I’m hoping for the best but seems like at least they should have hired a proven oc as head coach, not a one year disappointment from the titans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly must have blown them away in the interviews but smells a bit like desperation, hiring a guy and hoping he caught the Shanghan/McVay magic. I’m hoping for the best but seems like at least they should have hired a proven oc as head coach, not a one year disappointment from the titans.
He was also OC for the Rams in 2017 when they did pretty well (#1).  It seems like a bold move, a big risk/reward hire.

not sure what I think about this. I didnt like the McCarthy hire, and that turned out well all things considered. just lasted too long. 

I find myself judging him based off his 2018 performance in TN. Which isn't fair. I think it has potential to be better than McDaniels, and I didnt dislike McDaniels as much as a lot of people.

I guess I was hoping for a little more innovation. Maybe he brings some. As said above, big risk/reward. Glad they are keeping Pettine. 

He was also OC for the Rams in 2017 when they did pretty well (#1).  It seems like a bold move, a big risk/reward hire.
How much credit does he get for that, especially considering he switched teams to be an oc. It’s a gamble that could be good, just not what I’d do with the last years of a hof qb.

Ditto.   A bit disappointed, but let's face it - none of us really know what we are talking about.  Here's what scares me: 1)   Mariota looked as bad this year as ever, 2) LeFleur needed to be forced to give the ball to D Henry, who promptly went wild when given the chance.    Makes you wonder if LaFleur is very good at coaching.

Anyway, Mark Murphy is an ### clown, so if he's making the decision it will probably be a cluster.  Hope to be massively wrong.
Matt Ryan had his best season statistically with LaFleur.  Goff made a gigantic leap with LaFleur.  Obviously hard to say if LaFleur deserves credit for that but I’ll take it as positive marks for him.

How much credit does he get for that, especially considering he switched teams to be an oc. It’s a gamble that could be good, just not what I’d do with the last years of a hof qb.
Just curious who you would prefer over LaFleur?

I don’t hate this hire but don’t love it either as I just don’t know much about him.  I do know I’m glad they are taking a chance on a young offensive minded coach.

Just curious who you would prefer over LaFleur?

I don’t hate this hire but don’t love it either as I just don’t know much about him.  I do know I’m glad they are taking a chance on a young offensive minded coach.
I know some would hate it but I think McDaniels is a proven oc and has learned lessons from some dumb mistakes in the past. 

There are a ton of comments from Titans about LaFleur being a real good guy and I want to reiterate something I said earlier.

He's honest and accepts blame. It's almost confusing to hear a coach or OC be like that. We fans are used to stubborn. We are used to blaming others. You Packers fans will need to adjust some....you'll see.

Taywan Taylor is someone he loved and commented how he did him a disservice and...so many quotes on him. Fluellen, FB Jalston Fowler, and (bad FB) TE Luke Stocker were guys he praised regularly.  The latter three are free agents so you can probably pencil them in for camp. None are starters but hustlers that will "fight" in camp. I'm curious, with the Pack depth at WR, if he tries to trade for Taywan. There aren't many available Titans (young team) that would be easy for him to steal as coaches seem to do. I'd look for Rams, Falcons, maybe Redskins that know the system moreso than him stealing Titans. 

Austin Davis is probably someone that you could see but he never played and wouldn't play for the Pack.

The zone blocking system is a given. I don't know if McCarthy used that. As I mentioned earlier, you might see an overhaul of OL if not.

Word is that he will probably say during his first presser if he plans to call plays so listen for that today.

Matt Ryan had his best season statistically with LaFleur.  Goff made a gigantic leap with LaFleur.  Obviously hard to say if LaFleur deserves credit for that but I’ll take it as positive marks for him.
Yes, and obviously Rodgers is a better QB than Mariota. 

It just seems weird that he'd get a HC job following his performance as OC this year. 

Good guy and all but he didnt have the level of success I'd think necessary to take this step.

Joe Thomas on radio this morning (and previous tontoday as he was one who thought GB should hire him before LaFleur was really in the radar of others) was praising the hire.  

Also listening to some Nashville radio and looking back to the start of the season...Henry wasn’t exactly ignored earlier in the year...he was being outplayed by Lewis.   18 carries each in week 1 and 2 and around 3 yards a carry.  I think many things happened to gets henry to those end of the year breakouts.  He ran differently, the Titans used him better, and the Oline performed better than earlier.  So just trying to question the OC on his use may be a bit short sighted.

Cautiously optimistic with this based on some of what Thomas was saying today.  That LaFleur would be the type to work and share knowledge with Rodgers knowledge and both of them being very football smart would be very good for Rodgers and the offense.

Pipes said:
Exactly, and Mariota... well 2 outta 3 ain't bad. 😛

Packers certainly went in another direction. Surprised me, but don't really know the guy... and that's probably a good thing (not a retread).

I'm skeptical due to the Titan's offense this year, but more so optimistic because he's not a retread and the last time the Packers brought in a relative unknown who had OC'd a struggling offense the year prior, it worked out fairly well  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread