Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Green Bay Packers Thread

3 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Just saw that they also signed Amos.  I’d love to see the numbers on both guys.  But I really like the philosophy of signing younger guys who appear to be on the rise.  That’s the time to capture value, IMO.

Haven’t seen Amos $$$ yet but expected to be pretty high.

Smith $16mil per? 

https://twitter.com/jasonlacanfora/status/1105461709500751872?s=21

Its all in the structure and that’s from Lacanfora who is often wrong.

But both young and productive guys...in spots we need help on D.  On the surface the moves make sense.

Edited by sho nuff

5 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Haven’t seen Amos $$$ yet but expected to be pretty high.

Smith $16mil per? 

https://twitter.com/jasonlacanfora/status/1105461709500751872?s=21

Its all in the structure and that’s from Lacanfora who is often wrong.

But both young and productive guys...in spots we need help on D.  On the surface the moves make sense.

If that $16M per is correct then I’m not happy about that at all.  Not unless GB plays against Mariota 8 times a year.

18 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

If that $16M per is correct then I’m not happy about that at all.  Not unless GB plays against Mariota 8 times a year.

They have to pay somebody.  With the big cap increase and cuts of Cobb and Matthews they have money to spend.  I’d rather have them spend it and bring guys in than have a bunch of free cap space.  Smith and Amos are the 11th and 13th ranked free agents and add the fact they are huge positions of needs I love both moves even if they end up overpaying a bit.  

You don’t overpay now you end up overpaying (albeit for less money) lower tier guys and they likely have the same issues on defense this year.

Signing Preston Smith too at OLB.

I don’t think this means they won’t still draft OLB, but seems they don’t now have to at 12 unless it’s the BPA.

OL heavy in this draft for GB it seems would be needed.

Edited by sho nuff

5 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Signing Preston Smith too at OLB.

I don’t think this means they won’t still draft OLB, but seems they don’t now have to at 12 unless it’s the BPA.

OL heavy in this draft for GB it seems would be needed.

Signing Smith too?  Who ARE these Packers?!?! 

I'm happy to see them making aggressive, strategic moves in free agency.  Agree, this lines them up for a potentially effective draft - they now have some great options in a deep draft class.....go BPA, trade down to match BPA to need and accumulate picks.....or even trade up to grab one of the top difference makers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pipes said:

They have to pay somebody.  With the big cap increase and cuts of Cobb and Matthews they have money to spend.  I’d rather have them spend it and bring guys in than have a bunch of free cap space.  Smith and Amos are the 11th and 13th ranked free agents and add the fact they are huge positions of needs I love both moves even if they end up overpaying a bit.  

You don’t overpay now you end up overpaying (albeit for less money) lower tier guys and they likely have the same issues on defense this year.

Always worry about 1 year wonder guys signing bug deals, and that is exactly what Z'Darius Smith is. Preston Smith is a better player, though I'm not sure either of them are major upgrades necessarily. Adrian Amos is a huge upgrade, he was the 2nd best Safety on the market after Earl Thomas in my opinion, as long as he didn't get Collins money, that is a great signing. 

Of the three signings today I really like the Preston Smith one. Interested to see actual dollar amount. 

Forget offensive line, first round pick should be one of the high quality d linemen. Build up that front seven. Wouldn’t mind a trade down either, d line is deep.

Very happy with the focus on defense today.

44 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Always worry about 1 year wonder guys signing bug deals, and that is exactly what Z'Darius Smith is. Preston Smith is a better player, though I'm not sure either of them are major upgrades necessarily. Adrian Amos is a huge upgrade, he was the 2nd best Safety on the market after Earl Thomas in my opinion, as long as he didn't get Collins money, that is a great signing. 

Of all the signings Amos is my favorite one.  He's been excellent for a couple of years now and really just beginning the prime years of his career. 

4 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

By Thor’s hammer, could we please get a nasty MLB who can play against the run and the pass?  You know, a guy who never comes off the field and leads the D?

It’s a rarity to see a MLB like that in today’s NFL. 

Blake is stout against the run and that is fine with me. 

Smith looked excellent last year but that’s a ton of money, especially guarantees. Let’s hope he builds on his solid year.

Amos’ salary matches his production so I am fine with it. Could make argument he is best safety available.

• Like 2

The more I think about it, the more I think Pack should trade down. They have filled a ton of holes and now have a chance to build even more depth in a historically deep DL draft. I think there will be a ton of value in early second round into third.

3 minutes ago, Balco said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Pack should trade down. They have filled a ton of holes and now have a chance to build even more depth in a historically deep DL draft. I think there will be a ton of value in early second round into third.

No, this is the draft to get an elite talent.  One of those two ILB that can run may be there if an elite DLman doesn't fall.

10 minutes ago, trader jake said:

No, this is the draft to get an elite talent.  One of those two ILB that can run may be there if an elite DLman doesn't fall.

Don’t think white will be there.  And Williams (dt) definitely won’t be. I wouldn’t be upset if they draft the TE from Iowa if they stay put. Not a flashy pick but he blocks like an o lineman and is a very good receiver. 

Either way, Packers are in a great position this draft.

• Like 1

We will see what the numbers really and the structure.  That will also give a picture of cap space for signing the rookie class.  Depending on that I could see them trading up in the first to only have to pay one 1st rounder (or the other possibility of trading down out of the 2nd pick to do the same).

As for draft...Ive seen White available and not...Im not counting on that.

I like Burns as still getting an edge guy or Oliver up front.  I don't like TE at 12 at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LAUNCH said:

Just for context - Madden Ratings

Adrian Amos - 88

Za'darius Smith -83

Preston Smith - 81

Billy Turner - 70

I don't know that I believe much in video game ratings but how do these ratings compare to the guys they are replacing? I'm not a Madden player.

2 hours ago, sho nuff said:

We will see what the numbers really and the structure.  That will also give a picture of cap space for signing the rookie class.  Depending on that I could see them trading up in the first to only have to pay one 1st rounder (or the other possibility of trading down out of the 2nd pick to do the same).

As for draft...Ive seen White available and not...Im not counting on that.

I like Burns as still getting an edge guy or Oliver up front.  I don't like TE at 12 at all.

Hockenson would be a steal at #12.  I live in Iowa and watch all the Hawkeye games.  He's the real deal.  He will be an all pro for 10 years.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Johnnymac said:

Hockenson would be a steal at #12.  I live in Iowa and watch all the Hawkeye games.  He's the real deal.  He will be an all pro for 10 years.

Before free agency I wouldn't been happy with him at 12 with huge needs on defense.  Now I kind of hope he makes it to them at 12.  Devin White would be my first choice with Hock a close 2nd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

Perry will count 11.1 mil against the cap in dead money

I'm an idiot when it comes to knowing how the cap works but that is a huge number. I looked at over the cap and had they cut him a year from now the cap hit was like $7 mil. So my question is does he still count as dead  money against the cap next year or are they taking that cap hit this year and they are free and clear of him counting against the cap in a year? I hope I am asking this in an understandable way.

I might have figured out my answer. The dead money still counts against the cap each year so in essence cutting him just give a $3 mil cap relief this year?

Edited by Warhogs

4 hours ago, Balco said:

Smith looked excellent last year but that’s a ton of money, especially guarantees. Let’s hope he builds on his solid year.

Amos’ salary matches his production so I am fine with it. Could make argument he is best safety available.

Of the moves made I'm not sure I like the signing of Smith and release of Perry due to the huge amount of dead money. I think I would have rather kept Perry another year and used that Smith money somewhere else. Fackrell also looked good last year and can help that LB group. Smith seems like a risk at what kind of contract he got.

24 minutes ago, Warhogs said:

Of the moves made I'm not sure I like the signing of Smith and release of Perry due to the huge amount of dead money. I think I would have rather kept Perry another year and used that Smith money somewhere else. Fackrell also looked good last year and can help that LB group. Smith seems like a risk at what kind of contract he got.

The money seems high to me too, but I did watch this guy in several games last year and he gives total effort.  At least the times I saw him play.  

That's a bunch of money though,  especially with eating another $11 million with Perry.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Pack said:

If it's only going to take $11;$12Million to sign Bell, they need to get him in.I keep hearing they are in the mix

No thanks at that price. Aaron Jones is fine as the lead guy with Jamal or someone else sprinkled in.

• Like 2

I’m really concerned about the short passing game. I am a big fan of MVS as a deep threat big play guy, and Adams is awesome, but Rodgers needs some reliable targets in middle of field. It was painful watching Jimmy Graham play, injuries have taken a huge toll.  And same with Cobb. I was hoping they would look at Beasley or Crowder but no dice.

Wondering what they are going to do here. Pickings are slim at wr and te regarding remaining free agents. 

I would prefer they use their first two picks on defense (although as I said before snagging the Iowa Tight End would be fine by me).

3 minutes ago, Balco said:

No thanks at that price. Aaron Jones is fine as the lead guy with Jamal or someone else sprinkled in.

Neither one of those guys is very durable. Bell has a couple good years left and with the acquisitions today on DEF and two 2st rounders, this could be a special year.

Just now, Mr.Pack said:

Neither one of those guys is very durable. Bell has a couple good years left and with the acquisitions today on DEF and two 2st rounders, this could be a special year.

He has a ton of tread on his tires and is looking for 40 mil guaranteed. 

Im not opposed to going after Ingram to team with Jones as I am not a Jamaal Williams fan.

1 minute ago, Balco said:

He has a ton of tread on his tires and is looking for 40 mil guaranteed. 

Im not opposed to going after Ingram to team with Jones as I am not a Jamaal Williams fan.

True, but he sat out all year last year.

Great day for the Packers. Haven't had such a free agent day since the signing of Reggie White. Filled some major holes in 4 starters that should really give them flexibility in the draft. No need to chase a pass rusher with the 12 pick. Gives them the opportunity to draft the BPA. From what I read the deals are pretty cap friendly as well. Still should have about 17 mil in cap space minus tendered offers and the rookie salaries.

Maybe they still have room for another free agent. Wouldn't mind them seeing them bring in Golden Tate. They need a short area guy. A RB to fit in a committee would be nice as well. Just don't see Jones holding up through a full season and Williams is nothing special. Would much rather see them bring in Ingram than Bell. But could see them drafting a RB in their top 4 picks as well. Depending on the money I could see them bringing Clay Matthews back in a ILB situational role as well.

GO Pack GO!

Edited by KingPrawn

2 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

What I read about Clay was the desire to possibly keep him as a roving LB moving around like they have done with safeties.  Roaming in the box to rush the passer and support the run.

I appreciate everything he has done for the franchise. In his prime, he was a monster. He is well past his prime. Packers need to let him go. Giving him playing time would just take it away from players more deserving like Fackrell.

I see Golden Tate is still available but I think he will be too costly. Packers desperately need some sure handed pass catchers in the middle of the field.  Tate would be my number one target of players left.

last year it was so frustrating watching the drops or players standing like statues in the middle of the field.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balco said:

I appreciate everything he has done for the franchise. In his prime, he was a monster. He is well past his prime. Packers need to let him go. Giving him playing time would just take it away from players more deserving like Fackrell.

I think it depends on the role and the $$$.  If he doesn’t get attention elsewhere and the draft goes by without an option brought in...I can see it in that type of hybrid role.

Im still unsure in Fackrell as anything more than a one year burst of numbers after coming into the season as a guy many thought was the worst defensive player in the roster.

Just now, sho nuff said:

I think it depends on the role and the $$$.  If he doesn’t get attention elsewhere and the draft goes by without an option brought in...I can see it in that type of hybrid role.

Im still unsure in Fackrell as anything more than a one year burst of numbers after coming into the season as a guy many thought was the worst defensive player in the roster.

Fackrell is not a 3 down backer, no question. But I saw a ton of improvement rushing the passer. 

We go Smiths as starting OLBs, Blake as one of ILB and hold a competition for the other spot.

As far as generating a pass rush, I am pretty excited about our OLBs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, strykerpks said:

Mercedes Lewis for 1 year. Targeting Hock with a vet presence or hoping Tonyan keeps developing? Interesting thought

No problem with this as Lewis is the blocking tight end but man do we need some athleticism here. Really hope they look to get an athletic pass catcher in the draft.