What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (2 Viewers)

Can you dorks let the guy play 1 down before you get stupid?
Full disclosure, this pick doesn't inspire me. I'm not too worried about the shoulder as the Packers have typically been pretty conservative when it comes to injuries. At 12 I'm guessing Dr. McKenzie is relatively confident.

I am concerned about his motor. We'll see what camp brings and if he can realize what it takes at the next level. I do like the inside/outside versatility and athleticism. 

Absolutely love this pick. Love it. Perfect complement to Amos and another perfect fit for Petine defense. 

Two versatile defenders so far. Love it.

Yeah not a sexy pick but damn they were serious about fixing this defense and they certainly added some pieces.

Second round pick tomorrow will be really interesting. I think they have to get a tackle or guard. And they have to get a tight end somewhere.

Absolutely no excuses for the defense now.  They better have an above average D with all the pieces they’ve added.
First time in a long time I have been excited about a Packers defense. I liked their off-season signings on D and they add two versatile pieces. 

What concerns me is the speed at receiver and tight end, especially in the middle of the field. No way Isabella is there when they pick. 

First time in a long time I have been excited about a Packers defense. I liked their off-season signings on D and they add two versatile pieces. 

What concerns me is the speed at receiver and tight end, especially in the middle of the field. No way Isabella is there when they pick. 
I think he will be.  Tons of good WR left.  I like AJ Brown the best of them.

Second round pick tomorrow will be really interesting. I think they have to get a tackle or guard. And they have to get a tight end somewhere.
Admittedly I don't know much about the deeper OL options in this draft but I've been seeing some Wisconsin OL in the mid to late rounds. I'm not saying they need to take a Bucky lineman but their track record is relatively solid. There have been some diamonds in the rough in later rounds as far as OL goes too. I don't think they need to spend the draft capital on that on Friday. At the risk of talking out of both sides of my mouth I wouldn't be surprised if there was an OL they liked but I don't think it's a pressing need. At least tomorrow. 

Sorry I've had a few beers if that doesn't make sense.

Well, they are fast and from the Big Ten.  No Directional Tech Schools here.  I mean these guys are not from Northwest Central Southern West Dakota Mining Tech and Agricultural College. They also both surprised me.  My opinion would not be worth much on how they will play out.  I will say this, we have another 2 picks before the Bears get one.  I like that.

Also, even if our guys are reaches we will not be remembered for the reach after what the Raiders and the Giants did in this draft.

Detroit getting ready to ruin the career of another T.E.?

Admittedly I don't know much about the deeper OL options in this draft but I've been seeing some Wisconsin OL in the mid to late rounds. I'm not saying they need to take a Bucky lineman but their track record is relatively solid. There have been some diamonds in the rough in later rounds as far as OL goes too. I don't think they need to spend the draft capital on that on Friday. At the risk of talking out of both sides of my mouth I wouldn't be surprised if there was an OL they liked but I don't think it's a pressing need. At least tomorrow. 

Sorry I've had a few beers if that doesn't make sense.
I could see waiting on OL. The Packers do seem to have a history of finding OL in the later rounds. I could see them go the TE route as well with either Irv Smith or Stemberger (not sure which round they are projected to go). A playmaking slot WR might be on tap as well. By the end of Friday night I think they fill at least two of these positions: OL, TE, WR. Having said that, their efforts so far during the off-season have been concentrated on defense so they may go that way again as well.  I don't see them trading down out of their 2nd round spot but I could see them trading down in the 3rd to pick up more picks.

The thing about going D now sort of sets the table for disappointment of some fans.  6 picks left barring a trade down and talk of needs at OL WR and TE.  

Irv Smith or Sternberger the only TE worthy of their current 2nd round pick? 

Several WR or OL available at that spot.  Going to be fun.

Interesting also last night that Savage taken later is more likely to come in and start and play most downs.  Gary will be rotated in with Fackrell and the Smiths.  Though also say that they may put all 4 or three of the 4 on the line during passing downs.

Bob McGinn is in his best element today - passive aggressive and highly critical. His review of last night opens in typical curmudgeonly fashion:

Brian Gutekunst was on the defensive, and deservedly so, for the moves he made Thursday night in the first round of the NFL draft.

The second-year general manager of the Green Bay Packers stood pat with the 12th pick and selected Michigan’s Rashan Gary, an enigmatic defensive end in a 4-3 defense with a bad shoulder that now will be asked to play the new position of outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

Two hours later, Gutekunst decided he couldn’t stand firm at No. 30 and thus traded away his two choices (114, 118) in the upper half of the fourth round to Seattle and select undersized safety Darnell Savage of Maryland at No. 21.

On the trade-value chart widely in use by teams this draft the Packers came out negative-50 points for the transaction.

Savage, the first of two safeties drafted, finished seventh in my pre-draft poll of 13 personnel men. He had 13 points, trailing Johnathan Abram (56), Taylor Rapp (29), Nasir Adderley (22), Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (22), Juan Thornhill (18) and Deionte Thompson (17). Marquise Blair was eighth with nine points.

Since we're all thinking NFL draft these days, I'd recommend the new ESPN special to all Packer fans over 40 or so: "Mandarich"

Tony Mandarich… #2 draft pick turned bust from the famous 1989 NFL Draft in which 4 of the top 5 pics are now Hall of Famers.
Its really an incredible story, most of which we kinda already know but well worth the time.  One thing I did not expect is how much I admire him as a person after watching this.

It's misleading to write that Gary "will be asked to play the new position of outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense." The whole point is that he can line up all over the place.

Now, admittedly the first time I tried to text his name to someone, my phone wanted to autocorrect it to "Trashcan" ...

It's misleading to write that Gary "will be asked to play the new position of outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense." The whole point is that he can line up all over the place.

Now, admittedly the first time I tried to text his name to someone, my phone wanted to autocorrect it to "Trashcan" ...
:lol:

that cant be a good sign

I am not really liking the Gary pick but I admittedly dont know much about him. I'm glad we have a LB, as weve been asking for one for a while. It was frustrating seeing my 2 preferred options go almost right before 12.

that cant be a good sign

I am not really liking the Gary pick but I admittedly dont know much about him. I'm glad we have a LB, as weve been asking for one for a while. It was frustrating seeing my 2 preferred options go almost right before 12.
As someone who watches a lot of Michigan. I thought Green Bay was a good landing spot for Gary(albeit higher than I'd have taken him) because his best position is likely as a 3-4 end. If they are going to play him at Edge, I think that is just asking for disappointment.

I feel like they got a better player in Savage later, but if I were a Packer fan, I'd be miffed they didn't go O-line with either pick, and hopefully they can address WR soon. I'm not they filled any major needs in round 1.

that cant be a good sign

Yeah this is where I stand.  I don't really like the pick albeit I don't know a ton about him.  My main beef is I hate guys with great measurables but don't have the college tape to back it up. Rarely does the light bulb come on at the NFL level for these types of players.  And he may or may not have a bum shoulder to boot.  Seems like a recipe for disaster for me but what do I know.  The Packers front office spends way more time on this than all of us combined so while I don't like it I'll defer to the experts.    I see Nick Perry 2.0 all over this guy but hopefully I'm wrong.

In retrospect pick #12 wasn't a great spot to be in this year.  A lot of the guys I liked were snapped up a few picks before the Pack.

Also I don't feel the offensive line is as big of need as people think.  They were the 7th ranked unit last year (according to Pro Football Focus) and added Billy Turner and Cole Madison to the fold.  Yeah Bulaga is getting long in the tooth but they have guys to fill in.  If one of the top guys is there in the 2nd I wouldn't mind a Ford or Taylor but I'm not going to panic if they wait until later in the draft to address it.

Yeah this is where I stand.  I don't really like the pick albeit I don't know a ton about him.  My main beef is I hate guys with great measurables but don't have the college tape to back it up. Rarely does the light bulb come on at the NFL level for these types of players.  And he may or may not have a bum shoulder to boot.  Seems like a recipe for disaster for me but what do I know.  The Packers front office spends way more time on this than all of us combined so while I don't like it I'll defer to the experts.    I see Nick Perry 2.0 all over this guy but hopefully I'm wrong.

In retrospect pick #12 wasn't a great spot to be in this year.  A lot of the guys I liked were snapped up a few picks before the Pack.
Wonder if it’s a case if they liked him and thought they could try and trade back and still get him (to offset what they were going to use to trade up as Shefter had info that they wanted to move up from 30 earlier in the day)...but then couldn’t find a suitor for the pick and decided to just go with who they wanted no matter the pick at 12.

I like all his measureables...he is a wait and see.  I’m over all the grading drafts after a few hours and usually based off mock drafts rather than scouts and personnel.  Have heard mixed in him from people saying they talked to scouts.

Also I don't feel the offensive line is as big of need as people think.  They were the 7th ranked unit last year (according to Pro Football Focus) and added Billy Turner and Cole Madison to the fold.  Yeah Bulaga is getting long in the tooth but they have guys to fill in.  If one of the top guys is there in the 2nd I wouldn't mind a Ford or Taylor but I'm not going to panic if they wait until later in the draft to address it.
Yeah, it think it’s more depth and future need.  I’d rather see TE and WR tonight.  But I also wonder if they see wr as big of a need as the fans do. 

I would love to hear that the Packers had called Washington seeking to trade spots and get a little something in exchange.  Washington probably was becoming increasingly confident Haskins would fall to them, but with a nervous Dan Schneider in their room I think they would have paid to swap up for certainty.  I would like the Gary pick better at 15 than I do at 12 and I am confident he would still have been there.

Trading up for a safety confused me.  I like my safeties in the mold of Ronnie Lott or Troy Palomalu more than I do speedy Bob Sanderses.  Not to undersell how good Sanders was early in his career.

Still, like most fans I really don't know what I am talking about.  I have to trust, watch, and then condemn if it goes bad down the road and remember things retroactively if it goes well.   (yeah, I totally supported that pick, if I remember correctly.)

As for Receivers, maybe the three they took last year will all have 2nd year bumps.  They had the physical tools, they were just dumber than carp. 

As for the defense, with the picks, free agents, and Wilkerson coming back it could be quite an imposing unit.  I hope so.  I grew up on Lombardi's defense and I miss a defense that can back a team out of 1st and goal from the 3 late in the 4th quarter to Packer ball on the 27.  I MISS DEFENSEIVE STANDS TO WIN GAMES.

I would love to hear that the Packers had called Washington seeking to trade spots and get a little something in exchange.  Washington probably was becoming increasingly confident Haskins would fall to them, but with a nervous Dan Schneider in their room I think they would have paid to swap up for certainty.  I would like the Gary pick better at 15 than I do at 12 and I am confident he would still have been there.

Trading up for a safety confused me.  I like my safeties in the mold of Ronnie Lott or Troy Palomalu more than I do speedy Bob Sanderses.  Not to undersell how good Sanders was early in his career.

Still, like most fans I really don't know what I am talking about.  I have to trust, watch, and then condemn if it goes bad down the road and remember things retroactively if it goes well.   (yeah, I totally supported that pick, if I remember correctly.)
I think you need both at safety.  A thumper to set the tone and a speed guy to cover ground and make up for mistakes of the CB's.  Savage with his 4.36 speed is the later.  I'm hearing a poor man's Earl Thomas which if he's half as good as Earl we'll all be happy Packer fans.  12 was just a weird spot this year seemed just past the edge of the elite guys.  I hope they tried to trade down but I just don't think there were wow players available for teams to want to move into that spot.  Going to be fun season with all the new faces on D.

I think you need both at safety.  A thumper to set the tone and a speed guy to cover ground and make up for mistakes of the CB's.  Savage with his 4.36 speed is the later.  I'm hearing a poor man's Earl Thomas which if he's half as good as Earl we'll all be happy Packer fans.  12 was just a weird spot this year seemed just past the edge of the elite guys.  I hope they tried to trade down but I just don't think there were wow players available for teams to want to move into that spot.  Going to be fun season with all the new faces on D.
I am ever hopeful in the spring and summer and ardent even against the odds in the fall.  I lived through the 70's and the 80's without losing faith.  Like you I believe it will be a fun season and a glorious one if only Rodgers can stay upright and paly within himself.  Defense will allow the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread