What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (1 Viewer)

I know I'm late in this conversation but seriously, can anyone see how badly overreach on 1st round pick (trade-up no less) on Love?  Packers dont need another QB and they really need to maximize Rodgers' prime years with offensive / defensive playmakers.  One thing we all know for sure that Love pick gonna stoke a huge competitive fire in Rodgers (similar effect on Brady with Patriots' draft pick on Garoppolo).
"Prime years?" He is 36 and will turn 37 in December. His "prime" was 5-10 years ago.

Truebluey said:
Thread name change to : Indefinite GB Drama
Hey, thank you! After all these years here, that's my first thread name suggestion that was ever incorporated. 

Feeling chuffed. 

What’s done is done and I’ll support the kid.  I just want to go on record I would’ve taken Queen.  Historically though Packers just don’t value the inside LB position like other teams do.  I realize they signed Kriksey but they really need another guy there.  Praying the light comes on for Burks.

The point of my comments, perhaps not very well stated, is that I don't know what the next three years will bring, nor does that matter in terms of a decision made last night. I take the GM's comments last night at face value.  He said this pick has nothing to do with Aaron Rodgers' contract. He said they value the QB position, had a chance to get a player they like, and went for it.  To me, that is a perfect example of "smart management" when it comes to the NFL draft and building a team.  Last year they drafted a linebacker, then signed two top FA's at his same position.  Does that make it a bad pick?  The kid could be a bust or could be a hall of famer. Good teams trust their draft board and ignore short term noise.

I love this time of year, mostly because its so fascinating to see arm-chair fans trying to play GM.  The amount of time and energy that is put into mocking drafts and evaluating players by amateurs in the media and on these websites totally floors me.  Half these players will bust out after a couple years. Many will be quiet for 2-3 years, then become solid or great players.  Some of the guys drafted yesterday, today and tomorrow will be in the Hall of Fame some day.  None of us has even the slightest clue which of these players will take which of these paths.  That's why I think the best approach is to develop a system, trust it, and stick to your guns. That's the reason I'm happy with this GM and this pick.
Well that sure was a fancy way to dance around the question.  Who cares if you don't know the answer, it's a good exercise and hurts nobody to speculate on a board.  So what are the possibilities here of when Love becomes the starting QB of the GB Packers?

At some point in 2020 season:  This would be a massive issue and mean that AR is either traded or released... both of which would cost the team a fortune.
At some point in 2021 season:  See above
At some point in 2022 season:  The idea of him not starting a game for the next 30 or so months is extremely unrealistic unless he's not progressing how you want him to.

I guess I'm just struggling to find any scenario where this works for the team, Love, and ARod?  I guess BEST case scenario would be that he sits for a year, is good enough to start, and then you trade AR in 2021.  That's the only way I see this working out for GB..... are there others?
Of course you can pull out your crystal ball and speculate all you want.  I agree that's a fun exercise for joe six packs like us on a message board.  But it is all 100% irrelevant to a GM making a decision for a team last night.  That is the entire point - you don't draft with a crystal ball.  We know these picks are wrong as much as they are right.  If you value the QB position (as every NFL team must) and the draft falls a certain way that allows you to go get your guy, that's what a good GM does, even though it confuses the armchair fans and fantasy football gurus.  What is the best case scenario for Love and the Packers?  Probably that they have the most important position in the game locked down for the next decade.  Maybe Rodgers will feel some heat and return to his MVP status next season after declining for 3 straight years.  That would be worth a 4th round pick all day.  Worst case scenario is Love busts out as a player.  As a fan, its an intriguing situation for me, guaranteed entertainment, great move by the GM.

My final comment that I have not seen anyone address are the future QB's coming out in the next couple of years. The new coaching staff may not want to play the patchwork game with a veteran QB once Rodgers does leave. By playing the patchwork game, you are now having to draft a QB high and play him right away or continue the patchwork knowing the QB may be a 2-3 year project under a revolving door of QB's.

By drafting Love, maybe the new coaches don't like any prospects coming out next year or the year after and if Love fits or can fit the team by then, you now have your QB for the next decade. Look at the Packers scheme and what QB's are coming out in the next couple of years. Love may be the best option to continue the QB run the Packers have had versus revamping the QB run when Rodgers leaves.

Of course you can pull out your crystal ball and speculate all you want.  I agree that's a fun exercise for joe six packs like us on a message board.  But it is all 100% irrelevant to a GM making a decision for a team last night.  That is the entire point - you don't draft with a crystal ball.  We know these picks are wrong as much as they are right.  If you value the QB position (as every NFL team must) and the draft falls a certain way that allows you to go get your guy, that's what a good GM does, even though it confuses the armchair fans and fantasy football gurus.  What is the best case scenario for Love and the Packers?  Probably that they have the most important position in the game locked down for the next decade.  Maybe Rodgers will feel some heat and return to his MVP status next season after declining for 3 straight years.  That would be worth a 4th round pick all day.  Worst case scenario is Love busts out as a player.  As a fan, its an intriguing situation for me, guaranteed entertainment, great move by the GM.
The worst case scenario = Rodgers and veterans feel alienated by this pick. They didn't get support of a young player helping them win in the next 2-3 years from the 1st and 4th they spent on Love. They don't return to the playoffs during this stretch. Love proves he's not a good QB during this time.

Green Bay has made the playoffs 1 out of the last 3 seasons. Not making the playoffs again after tossing this pick away is a real reality.

The worst case scenario = Rodgers and veterans feel alienated by this pick. They didn't get support of a young player helping them win in the next 2-3 years from the 1st and 4th they spent on Love. They don't return to the playoffs during this stretch. Love proves he's not a good QB during this time.

Green Bay has made the playoffs 1 out of the last 3 seasons. Not making the playoffs again after tossing this pick away is a real reality.
Vikings are solid but I see Packers in playoffs next year. Bears are terrible and Lions are really bad. 

Full meltdown is coming tonight after they don't take a WR or ILB at all. :banned:
Haha...possible.  I won't be surprised if they don't take both...

I think we see WR/OL

Of course...I thought we would see that last night and not QB so wtf do I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a funny way of completely ignoring every question and bending things to support your point.  Your "best case" was simply "position locked up for a decade".  Please explain (Im sure you won't) how exactly that COULD go down in terms of when Love becomes the starter, and what happens to AR at that point.

What’s done is done and I’ll support the kid.  I just want to go on record I would’ve taken Queen.  Historically though Packers just don’t value the inside LB position like other teams do.  I realize they signed Kriksey but they really need another guy there.  Praying the light comes on for Burks.
Ya teams continually letting ravens get great defensive players late round 1 is getting a little old. 

Thats the downside of moving up last night.

Don't move up and even if you like Love and he falls to 30...you have that picks to then move up a little bit for Mims tonight if you like him...instead, they lost capital last night and miss out on that or moving up for anyone they may be liking now that is falling.

Thats the downside of moving up last night.

Don't move up and even if you like Love and he falls to 30...you have that picks to then move up a little bit for Mims tonight if you like him...instead, they lost capital last night and miss out on that or moving up for anyone they may be liking now that is falling.
Yep.  100%.

Yeah they’ll end up with the 4th best Qb and 16th best WR after being 1 game away from the Super Bowl.  Might as well take Zack Baun here.
Baun wouldn't be bad actually...but think its OT.

List inside the Packers war room: "Offensive stars we need to upset":

1. Aaron Rogers

2. Aaron Jones

3. Davante Adams

What an absolutely atrocious pick. Let’s draft a running back who can’t catch and is not explosive. Should work out well.

And they still have Jones and Williams for at least the upcoming season.  Waiting for the well they are both FA next year crowd.  Don’t care let’s fill holes not draft replacements

The why is that Jones is on his last year...will want something close to what McCaffrey got...RB was going to be picked...

Don't like it there with the LB options and even some of the WRs left...

The why is that Jones is on his last year...will want something close to what McCaffrey got...RB was going to be picked...

Not what I heard... but if he has priced himself that high then Dillon is a fantastic pick. 

AJ Dillon I cant believe it. Honestly. They pick a back with a ton for mileage who plays two downs in the NFL.

Then you cross that bridge when you get to it, and maybe someone that actually fits your team is available.

The pick was so bad from a fit standpoint that everyone is just kind of overlooking that Dillon is a 4th-6th round player that they picked in the 2nd round.  It was a bad pick even for a hypothetical team that was stacked everywhere but had a big need for a RB that doesn't catch.  For the Packers, it was tragic.

Then you cross that bridge when you get to it, and maybe someone that actually fits your team is available.

The pick was so bad from a fit standpoint that everyone is just kind of overlooking that that Dillon is a 4th-6th round player that they picked in the 2nd round.  It was a bad pick even for a hypothetical team that was stacked everywhere but had a big need for a RB that doesn't catch.  For the Packers, it was tragic.
Yep.   Rough draft so far for GB.

Interesting that Henry's former OC drafted the most Henry like player in the draft despite being fine at RB

The pick was so bad from a fit standpoint that everyone is just kind of overlooking that Dillon is a 4th-6th round player that they picked in the 2nd round.  It was a bad pick even for a hypothetical team that was stacked everywhere but had a big need for a RB that doesn't catch.  For the Packers, it was tragic.
Im not saying I like it...but that is the why.  Get guys on rookie contracts.

Not sure why you think 4th to 6th round

Im not saying I like it...but that is the why.  Get guys on rookie contracts.

Not sure why you think 4th to 6th round
He average 24 carries a game last 3 years is “listed” at 240 pounds and can’t catch and doesn’t play special teams. That is a late round profile.

He average 24 carries a game last 3 years is “listed” at 240 pounds and can’t catch and doesn’t play special teams. That is a late round profile.
So did guys like Henry...he put up similar numbers at the combine.  Again...I don't love the pick there...but I always laugh when people claim the guy grades so much later without really knowing.

My only issue with these picks is that they are essentially giving up on 2020 season.  Maybe they are banking on a weird season if there is one at all but this is an excellent draft for 2021 and beyond.  Just weird to me a team that was in the NFC championship game appears to be in a semi rebuild mode.  I guess I just need to resolve myself to the fact Rodgers is only going to get 1 ring in his brilliant career.  Such a shame

So did guys like Henry...he put up similar numbers at the combine.  Again...I don't love the pick there...but I always laugh when people claim the guy grades so much later without really knowing.
I’ve seen enough of Dillon in person and on tv. I feel same about Cam Akers. Both were wasted second round picks.

Love was a bad pick because Packers need to go all in now. I actually think all things being equal, he is a qbs who has tremendous skills. Dillon was a bad pick because his skills don’t translate to the nfl and they don’t need him at all.

watch Henry at Alabama and watch Dillon at BC. Both awesome college players, but they are not the same runners at all.

My only issue with these picks is that they are essentially giving up on 2020 season.  Maybe they are banking on a weird season if there is one at all but this is an excellent draft for 2021 and beyond.  Just weird to me a team that was in the NFC championship game appears to be in a semi rebuild mode.  I guess I just need to resolve myself to the fact Rodgers is only going to get 1 ring in his brilliant career.  Such a shame
This team should have only been 9-7 or 10-6 last year.  That’s what all the analytics said.  The championship game exposed that this wasn’t an excellent team.  Saints would have killed us too.  The NFC was weak last year.

Users who are viewing this thread