What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (2 Viewers)

You have a funny way of completely ignoring every question and bending things to support your point.  Your "best case" was simply "position locked up for a decade".  Please explain (Im sure you won't) how exactly that COULD go down in terms of when Love becomes the starter, and what happens to AR at that point.
Deamon, Buddy....after Phillys 2nd round pick tonight, I would just slowly back out of this thread.🤪

Im not saying I like it...but that is the why.  Get guys on rookie contracts.

Not sure why you think 4th to 6th round
So why waste a year of that valuable rookie deal when you don't need him?

RB is a position you worry about when you need it.  It's the easiest position to come in and pick up, and the easiest position to find good players at.  You don't need to plan a year ahead at RB.

As to the 4th-6th round thing sure I guess mocks/analyst rankings aren't the end-all be-all but Dillon was nowhere near a 2nd rounder in 99% of them.  Maybe they're all wrong but I can't imagine there is a burning desire for a high tread beefy RB that runs straight and doesn't catch in the modern NFL.

Henry is actually a good example because Henry was 10x the prospect that Dillon was back in an NFL that still had at least some value for that kind of player and in a draft class that artificially pushed him up via weak competition (Henry was the 2nd RB in his draft, he would have gone later with other viable options) and they still went in the same round.

This team should have only been 9-7 or 10-6 last year.  That’s what all the analytics said.  The championship game exposed that this wasn’t an excellent team.  Saints would have killed us too.  The NFC was weak last year.
No.  You can say the NFC was weak but they shouldn’t have been 9-7.  They earned those 13 wins regardless how weak the NFC was.  They did get a gift with no Mahomes  and caught a break with the Lions at home so I’ll give you 11-5. but That still puts them as the 3rd best NFC team last year.  When you’re that close I don’t understand not adding the appropriate pieces to help get over the hump.

Regardless doesn’t matter most other NFC teams have improved their 2020 teams so far the Packers have not really. I’m fine now knowing the Packers are gearing up for a 2022/2023 run.

Pipes said:
No.  You can say the NFC was weak but they shouldn’t have been 9-7.  They earned those 13 wins regardless how weak the NFC was.  They did get a gift with no Mahomes  and caught a break with the Lions at home so I’ll give you 11-5. but That still puts them as the 3rd best NFC team last year.  When you’re that close I don’t understand not adding the appropriate pieces to help get over the hump.

Regardless doesn’t matter most other NFC teams have improved their 2020 teams so far the Packers have not really. I’m fine now knowing the Packers are gearing up for a 2022/2023 run.
I’m not saying it.  Analytics people who study this stuff have said it.  I’m too lazy to look for a link.  538 writes about this stuff.

Good point.  Need kicker bodies in camp.  Don't want to wait til after the draft when pickings are slim.
Punter.  He was a punter.  A punter in the 3rd round.  If memory serves, we traded up for him.

edit:  looking back at the 2004 draft, it doesn’t look like we traded up for him.  So there’s that.

Last edited by a moderator:
10-12 best tight end on most lists, Packers make him 3rd tight end off the board.
10-12 in a weak TE class.  ESPN didn't even have a write-up ready for him.  

Lance Zierlein: 

Draft Projection

Round 6

NFL Comparison

Tyler Conklin 

Strengths

Takes run-blocking duties to heart

Good angles up to second level and squares his target

Finds his block fit and sustains with balance and footwork

Counted on to help seal the edge in run game

Basketball feel and fluidity in his route breaks

Stems defenders out of place with sharp head fakes

Monitors safeties and surveys spacing against zone

Races to soft spots and demands the football

Catches what is thrown at him and rarely has focus drop

Weaknesses

Inconsistent hand placement at point of attack

Gets grabby outside of the frame to finish

Needs better pad level to create point of leverage

May not have speed to consistently threaten the seam

Has a little too much sauce in his routes

Could struggle to separate against NFL man coverage

Rigid in his body adjustments to throws outside the frame

Lacks creativity after the catch and tends to bull forward

They're drafting like they are the #1 team in the league with no weaknesses. This is pure horse manure. Worst draft since the 70s which is where we are headed back to.

Missing Ted Thompson right about now.

This is a magical draft. They have had a pick in each of the 1st 3 rounds, and more than likely have not improved any position on the team. That is hard to do, like it takes effort to do that poorly. Not only did they didn't address any of their top-3 needs, they also took extremely flawed players. They should have just traded the entire draft for picks next year, it'd help 2020 just as much.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Jim Owczarski reports the Packers are moving to a more "run-oriented attack" this upcoming season.

Green Bay has yet to add a true receiver through three rounds of this year's draft, selecting a multi-year backup quarterback, Jordan Love, in Round 1 only to follow that up with an early-down bruiser, A.J. Dillon, on night two. While that's ideal for Allen Lazard and Jace Sternberger in fantasy, it obviously doesn't help Aaron Rodgers during his twilight years in the slightest. The Packers have had one of the most befuddling drafts through three rounds and that isn't expected to change on Day 3. Unfortunately for Rodgers, neither is their depleted receivers room.

SOURCE: Jim Owczarski on Twitter

Apr 25, 2020, 8:12 AM ET

It makes sense as that is the style Lafleur comes from. Two tight ends, a couple of backs in a rotation and lots of play action.

When you look at highlights, both Deguara and Sternberger are Athletic H Back types that can move down the field. Deguara looks like he is a 3 down right end as he is a solid blocker.  

I think the issue right now is, where is the speed at wide receiver? Safeties will cheat up to stop the run because Packers have zero speed in the slot or on the outside.

And I will pretty much guarantee this is Aaron Rodgers’ last season in Green Bay.

After reflecting (stewing) on the draft and picks it’s obvious - Gut and Coach Lafleur don’t believe the team, as constructed, is a super bowl contender (I completely disagree). With that in mind, they are drafting for future, including getting players for the offensive scheme Lafleur prefers.

Its a new era Packers fans. I’m nervous and excited, let’s hope Love and his immense talent can be developed. Now the team needs to focus on identifying young core players and extend them. Kenny Clark should be extended immediately. I absolutely love him but Aaron Jones should be allowed to walk next year, just can’t afford to pay big $$$ to a running back in today’s NFL.

Alex P Keaton said:
This team should have only been 9-7 or 10-6 last year.  That’s what all the analytics said.  The championship game exposed that this wasn’t an excellent team.  Saints would have killed us too.  The NFC was weak last year.

I am pretty sure this is right.  The Packers were definitely not the caliber a 13-3 team by most measures.  What they did successfully was win all the close games.  It was really amazing how at the end of the game they were able to make make a stop or run out the clock every single time.  Great teams dominate.  The Packers dominated, what, one team last year?

I think most every Packer fan intuitively knew this team was much worse than their record.  I recall ZERO coworkers, friends or relatives thinking the Packers were going to go the the Championship game, that's because it was obvious to even casual fans that they weren't a great team.  Surprising how 4-5 months later everyone acts like these guys were one piece away from a title.  

For all the "GB was just lucky last year and not as good as their record", then why have they drafted 3 backups if they are really that weak of a roster.  You cannot not logically argue both.

For all the "GB was just lucky last year and not as good as their record", then why have they drafted 3 backups if they are really that weak of a roster.  You cannot not logically argue both.
If you’re not first you’re last. Either they’re drafting for the future and/or they’re not very smart. It can be both. 

And I will pretty much guarantee this is Aaron Rodgers’ last season in Green Bay.

After reflecting (stewing) on the draft and picks it’s obvious - Gut and Coach Lafleur don’t believe the team, as constructed, is a super bowl contender (I completely disagree). With that in mind, they are drafting for future, including getting players for the offensive scheme Lafleur prefers.

Its a new era Packers fans. I’m nervous and excited, let’s hope Love and his immense talent can be developed. Now the team needs to focus on identifying young core players and extend them. Kenny Clark should be extended immediately. I absolutely love him but Aaron Jones should be allowed to walk next year, just can’t afford to pay big $$$ to a running back in today’s NFL.
1. I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers demanded a trade. It's possible but I doubt it. I can see Rodgers playing 2 more years and saying he's either done or wants out. I'm not sure he wants out after this season. It's also possible the organization is tired of his #### and wants to trade him at some point. I believe that more than him wanting out. PR nightmare to trade him without making it seem like HE is the villian/wants out first. Step 1- draft his replacement high...

2. Why would they spend on FA last year if they didn't believe in this team? I guess maybe they saw what happened last year, didn't like it (from a "team dynamic") and are now retooling the roster?

3. Yes, if Jones wants big money let him walk. I actually like Dillon a lot. Reminds me of a much less fast Henry. Don't like the pick, but I'd feel good with him next year. 

I am pretty sure this is right.  The Packers were definitely not the caliber a 13-3 team by most measures.  What they did successfully was win all the close games.  It was really amazing how at the end of the game they were able to make make a stop or run out the clock every single time.  Great teams dominate.  The Packers dominated, what, one team last year?

I think most every Packer fan intuitively knew this team was much worse than their record.  I recall ZERO coworkers, friends or relatives thinking the Packers were going to go the the Championship game, that's because it was obvious to even casual fans that they weren't a great team.  Surprising how 4-5 months later everyone acts like these guys were one piece away from a title.  
Great teams also win their close games too.  It’s not fair to discredit their 13 wins they earned those against professionals.  

Realistically they were the the 3rd best team in the NFC behind the 49ers and Saints.  Maybe an argument could’ve been made for the Vikings but that’s it.  If they would’ve added a WR LB and anyone DL who knows?  I didn’t see anyone claiming they were 1 player away.  They were more than 1 but I don’t think the gap was insurmountable, well I didn’t think that before the draft.

There was alot of discussion about that deal at the time.  Rodgers had the Packers in a very difficult position and he and his agent exploited it perfectly, as he had every right to.  They had to extend him and had to top Ryan's deal, which they did by quite a bit.  It looks dumb in retrospect, and looked bad even at the time, but I think most people realize he had them over a barrel and they caved in a moment of weakness.  I understand why @Pipes and others want to view the draft pick last night in the context of Rodgers' contract, but I view them as completely separate from each other.  I love everything I'm hearing from and about Gutekunst today.  They probably didn't expect to be drafting Jordan Love yesterday, but the way the draft went - especially with three WR's and Kenneth Murray all going from 21-25, its great to see a GM with the stones to act with conviction, trust his board and go get a quarterback.
I totally get your point. I just personally do not agree. There were still excellent receivers and LBers still on the board, both of which we needed way more than a project QB. Then the next two picks were just as bad, a lumbering RB that can’t catch and a TE that is nothing special. I can only react as a fan, I don’t get to be a coach. My reaction is that the Packers brass has totally F’D this draft so far. We have done zero to help a Championship caliber team. 

Great teams also win their close games too.  It’s not fair to discredit their 13 wins they earned those against professionals.  

Realistically they were the the 3rd best team in the NFC behind the 49ers and Saints.  Maybe an argument could’ve been made for the Vikings but that’s it.  If they would’ve added a WR LB and anyone DL who knows?  I didn’t see anyone claiming they were 1 player away.  They were more than 1 but I don’t think the gap was insurmountable, well I didn’t think that before the draft.
You and I agree 100% on the opportunity this team had......that we are in a window to win now....and that a draft with 3 good picks in the first 2 days could have been a difference maker for this team.

Was talking with another FBG last night by phone (IRL), and we could have drafted:

- Patrick Queen (ILB)

- Bryan Edwards (WR)

- Adam Trautman (TE)

Personally, I like those options way better than what we ended up with.  But hey, I’m just some guy on the internet.  Clearly Gute and LaFluer have a vision and a plan.  IMO we will look back 3 years from now and see this draft, this moment as the moment when we all had it confirmed that LaFleur isn’t an offensive genius (or a coaching genius in general), he’s just a guy who happened to coach with Kyle Shanahan.

edit to add:  I still think this team majorly overachieved last year and isn’t as talented as a 13-3 record with a title game appearance

I think the obvious is Guye and Lafleur feel Love is that kind of talent you dont pass on.  I think most of us disagree.

RB was always a possibility...hell i thought it was possible Taylor coming to GB in the first round.  Id probably have preferred that to Love and the RB we took.

Also clear the philosophy of the team doesn't value inside LB. again a thing I think most of us disagree with the philosophy.

Im hopeful but disappointed thus far as Id have rather if they are picking future do so with a tackle.  I wondered before this if Jones would hold out...now I think its almost a sure thing he will.

My main beef with all of it is creating unnecessary drama.

I totally get your point. I just personally do not agree. There were still excellent receivers and LBers still on the board, both of which we needed way more than a project QB. Then the next two picks were just as bad, a lumbering RB that can’t catch and a TE that is nothing special. I can only react as a fan, I don’t get to be a coach. My reaction is that the Packers brass has totally F’D this draft so far. We have done zero to help a Championship caliber team. 
For me, its always fun in here on draft day when we have Ted Thompson and now Brian Gutekunst making picks for the Packers.  One constant with these two guys is that they trust their board and their process, and that almost always pisses off the masses, especially now in the internet age.  For whatever reason, I love that about them.  

Just thinking about all the hundreds of thousands of hours of work and pontification that media and fans put into mocking and speculating about the NFL draft every year is incredible.  All this work and speculation is 100% meaningless and will be completely forgotten within a few weeks.  I honestly believe it is one of the great genius marketing efforts of our lifetimes - turning the NFL draft from a complete non-event (when I was a kid) into a massive, spectacular 3 day media extravaganza that it is today, in the space of a few decades.

The second thing I love about Thompson/Gutekunst is their complete ignorance of and at times outright disdain for the fans and media.  Is it any surprise that Gutekunst is completely oblivious of the fan reaction to his draft?  I think his answers to those questions in the interview last night are honest and outright fantastic.

My feeling right now, being completely honest, is that I not only love this draft, but am very happy we found this GM. As a life-long and rapidly aging Packer fan, I have a great feeling right now about the near and long term future of this team.  I wish the season could start tomorrow.  Putting aside CV-19 concerns, we have no idea what this team will need by midway this season, next season, or the year after than when rookies typically start to mature into quality players.  That's why I believe in BPA drafting across the board.  I think the club moved on from Thompson/McCarthy at the right time, and I love the new guys.

You and I agree 100% on the opportunity this team had......that we are in a window to win now....and that a draft with 3 good picks in the first 2 days could have been a difference maker for this team.

Was talking with another FBG last night by phone (IRL), and we could have drafted:

- Patrick Queen (ILB)

- Bryan Edwards (WR)

- Adam Trautman (TE)

Personally, I like those options way better than what we ended up with.  But hey, I’m just some guy on the internet.  Clearly Gute and LaFluer have a vision and a plan.  IMO we will look back 3 years from now and see this draft, this moment as the moment when we all had it confirmed that LaFleur isn’t an offensive genius (or a coaching genius in general), he’s just a guy who happened to coach with Kyle Shanahan.

edit to add:  I still think this team majorly overachieved last year and isn’t as talented as a 13-3 record with a title game appearance
I do agree they overachieved to a degree last year but still close enough to go for it. That windows all but closed now.

So the Packers are trying to bring in the Titans offense with a power running game.  Don’t those teams typically have stout defenses?  Run the ball stop the run?  The run defense was not good last year.

Even if they wanted Love they should’ve then loaded up the D the rest of the draft to fix that this year then get your guys to transition to the power running game.  Now they’ll have a weird offense this year with the old and new systems and a defense that’s weak up the middle.  Going to be a frustrating next couple of seasons me thinks.

For me, its always fun in here on draft day when we have Ted Thompson and now Brian Gutekunst making picks for the Packers.  One constant with these two guys is that they trust their board and their process, and that almost always pisses off the masses, especially now in the internet age.  For whatever reason, I love that about them.  

Just thinking about all the hundreds of thousands of hours of work and pontification that media and fans put into mocking and speculating about the NFL draft every year is incredible.  All this work and speculation is 100% meaningless and will be completely forgotten within a few weeks.  I honestly believe it is one of the great genius marketing efforts of our lifetimes - turning the NFL draft from a complete non-event (when I was a kid) into a massive, spectacular 3 day media extravaganza that it is today, in the space of a few decades.

The second thing I love about Thompson/Gutekunst is their complete ignorance of and at times outright disdain for the fans and media.  Is it any surprise that Gutekunst is completely oblivious of the fan reaction to his draft?  I think his answers to those questions in the interview last night are honest and outright fantastic.

My feeling right now, being completely honest, is that I not only love this draft, but am very happy we found this GM. As a life-long and rapidly aging Packer fan, I have a great feeling right now about the near and long term future of this team.  I wish the season could start tomorrow.  Putting aside CV-19 concerns, we have no idea what this team will need by midway this season, next season, or the year after than when rookies typically start to mature into quality players.  That's why I believe in BPA drafting across the board.  I think the club moved on from Thompson/McCarthy at the right time, and I love the new guys.
Interesting take.  Glad that you shared these thoughts.

Question:  do you think it makes sense to select “your guys” 2-3 rounds earlier than anyone else would draft them?   That does seem to be a hallmark of the TT era......and we appeared to have moved on from that the past two years, but here we are back there again.....

Interesting take.  Glad that you shared these thoughts.

Question:  do you think it makes sense to select “your guys” 2-3 rounds earlier than anyone else would draft them?   That does seem to be a hallmark of the TT era......and we appeared to have moved on from that the past two years, but here we are back there again.....
How do any of us know when a player will be taken?  Based on what someone on ESPN said?  Gutekunst said last night he was thrilled Dillon was still available at 62 and that he was the top player on the Packers board.  We can speculate he's wrong or he's lying.  He doesn't care.  I take his comments at face value.  

Last year, it was widely speculated here that Gutekunst took Gary way too early, that he could have traded down or worked some other fantasy deal to get Gary or a better player.   Then he went out and got two high-level FAs at Gary's position, and Gary hardly played.  Many are saying the Gary pick is a bust.  He might be, but its equally possible that he will follow a Kenny Clark type career arc and be a pro-bowl defender in 2022 and for years to come.  By then, no one will remember what was said on draft night, how the mock drafts rated him, and what the reaction was in here.

How do any of us know when a player will be taken?  Based on what someone on ESPN said?  Gutekunst said last night he was thrilled Dillon was still available at 62 and that he was the top player on the Packers board.  We can speculate he's wrong or he's lying.  He doesn't care.  I take his comments at face value.  

Last year, it was widely speculated here that Gutekunst took Gary way too early, that he could have traded down or worked some other fantasy deal to get Gary or a better player.   Then he went out and got two high-level FAs at Gary's position, and Gary hardly played.  Many are saying the Gary pick is a bust.  He might be, but its equally possible that he will follow a Kenny Clark type career arc and be a pro-bowl defender in 2022 and for years to come.  By then, no one will remember what was said on draft night, how the mock drafts rated him, and what the reaction was in here.
To me, it’s more the TE who was a major reach.  Tough to say on Dillon.

It will be interesting to watch how this team comes together in 2020.

Hopefully we find out that Gute is as good and worthy of our trust as TT was.

You were still 13-3 and I don't care how you got there, you hit on 3-4 picks that can contribute immediately and that could have been repeatable.  I don't see how you can be over .500 very easily this year.  The first three picks will not contribute this season....any other fan base would not accept it and I am amazed how some just love this draft.  Enjoy mediocrity for potentially a long time, because I do not believe Love is close to the level of QB that AR was when he came out.

In the back of my mind, I wonder how much of the support of these picks by those commenting are really based on a anti-AR position.  I thought the usage of AR was weak last year but it is an new system, blah, blah, blah....definitely did not scheme to his strengths....and all the AR drama the last 2-3 years may have some GB fans ready to move on.  I think you will have your wish in the next 12 months, I don't see AR around after the draft next year.

Haven't seen it mentioned but last year the Packers were:

- 15th in points at 23.5 per game

- 18th in yards at 345.5 per game

- 17th in pass yards at 233.2 per game

- 15th in run yards at 112.2 per game (big drop off in playoffs)

For those of you thinking defense is/was the problem, going 13-3 on those offensive numbers is lucky. The Packers overachieved greatly last year. They barely beat Seattle in the playoffs (5 points) and had six wins by a touchdown or less. They were exposed badly in the regular season by San Francisco and again in the playoffs. The Packers addressed WR in free agency and may still get one in the draft, but WR is better than it was. A ground and pound runner is much different than Jones and Williams.

If I'm the Packers on this Saturday in the draft... I look for offensive line help first and second. Then, maybe CB/Safety position.

Users who are viewing this thread