What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (4 Viewers)

How do any of us know when a player will be taken?  Based on what someone on ESPN said?  Gutekunst said last night he was thrilled Dillon was still available at 62 and that he was the top player on the Packers board.  We can speculate he's wrong or he's lying.  He doesn't care.  I take his comments at face value.  

Last year, it was widely speculated here that Gutekunst took Gary way too early, that he could have traded down or worked some other fantasy deal to get Gary or a better player.   Then he went out and got two high-level FAs at Gary's position, and Gary hardly played.  Many are saying the Gary pick is a bust.  He might be, but its equally possible that he will follow a Kenny Clark type career arc and be a pro-bowl defender in 2022 and for years to come.  By then, no one will remember what was said on draft night, how the mock drafts rated him, and what the reaction was in here.
You make some excellent points CM, I just see as a fan things I think should have been addressed that weren’t. I never claimed to be as smart as GMs or coaches. I just know we got got absolutely embarrassed by SF twice. Because our D could not get off the field. Now we passed on multiple good players that could have most likely immediately impacted our team to select nothing but back up players. Just as a fan I think that sucks. 

You and I agree 100% on the opportunity this team had......that we are in a window to win now....and that a draft with 3 good picks in the first 2 days could have been a difference maker for this team.

Was talking with another FBG last night by phone (IRL), and we could have drafted:

- Patrick Queen (ILB)

- Bryan Edwards (WR)

- Adam Trautman (TE)

Personally, I like those options way better than what we ended up with.  But hey, I’m just some guy on the internet.  Clearly Gute and LaFluer have a vision and a plan.  IMO we will look back 3 years from now and see this draft, this moment as the moment when we all had it confirmed that LaFleur isn’t an offensive genius (or a coaching genius in general), he’s just a guy who happened to coach with Kyle Shanahan.

edit to add:  I still think this team majorly overachieved last year and isn’t as talented as a 13-3 record with a title game appearance
All 3 of these guys would contribute this season and improve the team from last season.

The only reason drafting a QB now makes any sense is that they are not planning to let Rogers play out his contract.

Is something brewing beneath the surface and they have had enough of Rogers attitude?  

and if that's not the case ...  you gotta feel for Jordan Love ... with no chance to start a game in the next 4 years? 

After all the build up to and excitement of draft day ... the thought of sitting for 4 seasons, spending at least 25% of your career on the bench. That's gotta hurt right now.

He's forcing smiles but in his mind he has to know there were about 28 better landing spots for him.

The WR position is actually far better than it was last year. I'm not very upset that the Packers didnt take a WR. I'm more upset that we didnt take a LB

Queen in round 1 or Baun round 2

Fine, take your QB round 1, but Baun round 2 would have been a great choice 

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I've done the past couple years on this board is find the threads from prior drafts.  Last night, bored and with a glass of mescal in hand, I went and found the thread from the Packers 2005 draft. Its still there and not hard to find if you page through April 2005 a bit.  I don't want to name names or shame anyone, but of course there was a strong negative reaction to drafting Rodgers from a few posters.  (I am not saying 2005 is the same as 2020 draft, just noting something interesting).  However, overall, most of the posters were positive about the Rodgers pick.  Lots of Packer fans hated it, but most on this board I would say were in favor.

However, the pick everyone hated, including me, was Nick Collins from Bethune–Cookman in the second round.  I don't recall a single positive comment about Collins - we were all certain he would have been available many rounds later, if drafted at all, and it was one of the stupidest picks we'd ever seen.  I'm sure no one was thinking about that draft when Collins pick-6ed Rothisberger to win a Super Bowl.

Also, since some love Glut so much because he is like TT...well they both know how to make the HOF franchise QBs out to be the bad guys. 

Having a nights sleep to refresh and look at these picks have made me more certain than ever that the GM/HC are giving AR the middle finger.  Strap yourself in, because the drama is just beginning.

To me, it’s more the TE who was a major reach.  Tough to say on Dillon.

It will be interesting to watch how this team comes together in 2020.

Hopefully we find out that Gute is as good and worthy of our trust as TT was.
I don't spend much time reading about the draft before it happens, but typically look to see what Bob McGinn's report says about guys after they are picked.  McGinn had Deguara ranked as the #1 fullback in the draft, for what its worth.  I never heard of the guy and have never seen him play, but love the pick (no surprise).

1. JOSIAH DEGUARA, Cincinnati (6-2 ½, 242, 4.72, 5-6): Deguara is a four-year player, two-year starter. “Swiss Army knife guy,” one scout said. “Played fullback at the Senior Bowl. He runs well. He’s a little short so you’re not going to use him on the line as much. He’s a wing, a fullback. He’s tough as nails. Really competitive guy. He’s a guy you want in your locker room. He’ll play on all the special teams. It’s hard for teams to find a fullback who can actually be good on teams. He will be that.” Finished with 92 catches, a record for Bearcats’ tight ends, for 1,117 (12.1) and 12 TDs. “He kind of did it all for them,” said a second scout. “He’s a good athlete. He’s quick, has good ball skills and is a competitive blocker. He’s a good football player.” Deguara is from Folsom, Calif.

Also, since some love Glut so much because he is like TT...well they both know how to make the HOF franchise QBs out to be the bad guys. 

Having a nights sleep to refresh and look at these picks have made me more certain than ever that the GM/HC are giving AR the middle finger.  Strap yourself in, because the drama is just beginning.
I have nothing to back this up but I am willing to bet that Rodgers continued his same old change the play #### from time to time and the Packers are sending him a message/preparing to move on before his contract is up. 

If they are concerned about the backup position, which is a concern, they would have taken a guy like Fromm round 3 or kept their 4th for a qb. 

Spending a 1st on a QB sends a message loud and clear IMO, and for Packer fans it seems to be a bit to digest. But we dont know what's going on. 

It used to be "in ted we trust." This is far more out there than anything Ted did. In the end the Packera trusted their board and they have 100% of the info. We have maybe 5% 

It still doesn't change how I feel about passing on 2 impact LBs at the time of their first 2 picks, but what do I know. I am a guy sitting on his couch plugging wrs into a spreadsheet drinking Corona and lime

My other line of thinking is this...they feel this season is almost a throwaway...at least for the rookies.  No early camps, no early work, extremely limited build up before whatever season they may have.  Its a redshirt year.  They feel the guys they picked are better set up for the next year or next...giving them this year to learn and whatever...

Basically deciding they are going to go through this season with what they had (for the most part) from last year.  Rookies there to learn on the job and see how it plays out.

Yeah...that sucks as a fan...it sucks if you have a veteran QB...it sucks from many perspectives of us.

I don't spend much time reading about the draft before it happens, but typically look to see what Bob McGinn's report says about guys after they are picked.  McGinn had Deguara ranked as the #1 fullback in the draft, for what its worth.  I never heard of the guy and have never seen him play, but love the pick (no surprise).
I don't think the 3rd round is time to take a FB though...now, a FB that is also able to split out and move the ball up the seam as a TE...maybe.  But we will see there.

I don't think the 3rd round is time to take a FB though...now, a FB that is also able to split out and move the ball up the seam as a TE...maybe.  But we will see there.
I have to think there are some big wrinkles coming in the offense... there better be after spending 3 rounds on offense 

The WR position is actually far better than it was last year. I'm not very upset that the Packers didnt take a WR. I'm more upset that we didnt take a LB

Queen in round 1 or Baun round 2

Fine, take your QB round 1, but Baun round 2 would have been a great choice 
Agreed.  Love is my favorite pick so far I didn’t like it lol.

That's why I believe in BPA drafting across the board. 
I hear what your saying and I think that's a good take, CM. 

People say stuff like that but then everyone losses their minds when their team ignores need and drafts the BPA.  It's practically impossible to know who the true BPA is once you get out of the top few picks, it takes a while before you can look back and determine that.  It takes no time at all to line up your teams needs and note that they've been ignored. 

I hope your right.  On the face of it, this one looks bad, but this is pretty much what a BPA draft should look like.  I don't like how this draft turned out so far, but I'm not starting up the fire Gutekunst website either.  

Yeah don’t like the BPA argument since we just wont know plus teams skew their board so bias in introduced.  So really there is never a BPA. If there is such a thing as BPA I’m confident in saying Deguara was the BPA on exactly 1 teams board and one teams only.

I have to think there are some big wrinkles coming in the offense... there better be after spending 3 rounds on offense 
There better be.

Seem to be (for now) putting a lot of faith in Jace stepping up, MVS or EQ having a breakout, Lazard improving and Funchess regaining the form of his early career.

Seems a lot to ask.

As I now understand the philosophy and have accepted the window is shut - Taking love (who gute has ranked extremely high) makes sense. Rodgers is here this year and then will be gone. 

My issue is taking Dillon second round. Setting aside the fact I think he is not a good back in today’s nfl, it just doesn’t make any sense to take a power back like that in the second round. You can get a similar back(s) in free agency who can be effective - look at Mark Ingram. Just a wasted pick here. Could have taken a front seven player to shore up run defense or an O Linemen.

Although he could have been had a few rounds later I am warming up to NFL impact of Deguara. Watching clips of him, he is a 3 down tight end and fits the scheme like a glove.

There better be.

Seem to be (for now) putting a lot of faith in Jace stepping up, MVS or EQ having a breakout, Lazard improving and Funchess regaining the form of his early career.

Seems a lot to ask.
And Burks on defense.  As much as we bagged on Blake he was always on the field.  Now the have often injured Kirksey and who?  Burks has got to be that 2nd guy and Kirksey needs to stay healthy.

There better be.

Seems a lot to ask.
They need speed badly at WR. I think they will use Funchess in the slot and in motion quite a bit. MVS is total wild card.

And Burks on defense.  As much as we bagged on Blake he was always on the field.  Now the have often injured Kirksey and who?  Burks has got to be that 2nd guy and Kirksey needs to stay healthy.
I’ve given up on Burks. Guessing he gets cut this year. He has been horrendous and looks overmatched.

I’m afraid your right which makes ignoring that position even more puzzling.  
We’ve ignored middle linebacker since George Koonce left.

It is beyond frustrating.

we need some rotational DL help so Clark doesn’t have to exhaust himself. And we need a thumper at MLB.

I think the Packers should have traded their 2nd round pick to a team in the 15 range of the 1st.

Then, I think the Packers should have traded their 3rd round pick to a team in the 10 range of the 1st.

Then, I think the Packers should have traded their 4th and 5th round picks for the 1.01 pick in this years draft.

Then, I think the Packers should have traded their 6th and 7th round picks for two 1sts next year.

Packers would have the best draft.

I still have some high hopes for Jace.  Not sure what to make of Deguara yet, H-back?  
I think both will line up all over the place. This offense likes to use 2-3 tight ends a lot. It will be nice to have a couple of tight ends that can actually run.

No idea why they resigned Marcedes Lewis. Still a good blocker but can’t move at all and doesn’t play specials. Wish they just went with Tonyan, Jace, and Deguara and went with a younger guy who can play specials as the 4th.

I think both will line up all over the place. This offense likes to use 2-3 tight ends a lot. It will be nice to have a couple of tight ends that can actually run.

No idea why they resigned Marcedes Lewis. Still a good blocker but can’t move at all and doesn’t play specials. Wish they just went with Tonyan, Jace, and Deguara and went with a younger guy who can play specials as the 4th.
Gute’s strategy seems to be to sign serviceable veterans in March, so that he doesn’t HAVE to draft any specific position in April.  He didn’t know, when he signed Lewis, that he would get to draft a TE that he coveted.

Just my two cents.

I always think TT was boring , not willing to risk , old school ……….I like boring style , I miss you TT !!!!

Gute’s strategy seems to be to sign serviceable veterans in March, so that he doesn’t HAVE to draft any specific position in April.  He didn’t know, when he signed Lewis, that he would get to draft a TE that he coveted.

Just my two cents.
Hopefully that means he will be cut then. I doubt there are any guarantees. At least I hope not.

only upside players at this point

A lot of people thought he'd be a UDFA pick up.  Smart move to get a head of the FA rush after the draft.  Guety, always 3 steps rounds a head of everyone else.   :thumbup:   

this a joke.  don't watch gopher football and know nothing about the guy....

Wow a Lb. That isn’t fast and can’t cover and can’t shed blocks. 
Where did you see he can’t shed blocks. He is a 5th rounder because he isn’t a 3 down backer but he is a solid run stuffer who reads plays well. This is a very nice pick in the fifth round. We desperately need a run stuffing linebacker. 

And agreed it’s a fifth rounder - we are looking at someone who can contribute. Anything more is gravy.

Jon Runyon. Nice gamble at that spot, could be a solid guard. Wonder if they will keep him at tackle initially though.

More oline.  One of these guys will hit, and that's all you need.  2 make it and you're really in the $$$.

Where did you see he can’t shed blocks. He is a 5th rounder because he isn’t a 3 down backer but he is a solid run stuffer who reads plays well. This is a very nice pick in the fifth round. We desperately need a run stuffing linebacker. 
I read a couple places, CBS and the draft network neither give him much credit for shedding blocks. Also zero coverage help and no lateral quickness. 
But, if he can catch you, I’m looking at you AJ Dillon, he can tackle you. 

Clearly we see something in Funchess that he himself doesn’t or can show. He’s a big slow WR, that has had flashes of good play with lots of average play. His best catch % was 57% on a season with at least 50 plus targets. In 2018 when he had 79 targets and 44 catches and a drop percentage of 14% highest in the NFL. 

Sure I hope it works out since we decided to skip the position in the draft. But past performances make it unlikely. 

Clearly we see something in Funchess that he himself doesn’t or can show. He’s a big slow WR, that has had flashes of good play with lots of average play. His best catch % was 57% on a season with at least 50 plus targets. In 2018 when he had 79 targets and 44 catches and a drop percentage of 14% highest in the NFL. 

Sure I hope it works out since we decided to skip the position in the draft. But past performances make it unlikely. 
We're going to be just fine at WR. There are a few things people might be forgetting. Maybe not, and maybe I'm just optimistic, but I really like what we have at WR

We're going to be just fine at WR. There are a few things people might be forgetting. Maybe not, and maybe I'm just optimistic, but I really like what we have at WR
I think they could use an underneath quicker guys.  Other than Adams they have bigger more down the field type guys.  That’s why I really wanted Raegor but apparently the Eagles wanted him more.  But I do agree about LB.  For once I’d love to have a stud In the middle of that D.

That’s the issue with the receivers especially on 3rd down - dropped passes and no separation. Adams was it. MVS was an unmitigated disaster. Lazard was a great fine and I definitely think he earned right to start outside. But where are the hands and speed in the slot? Funchess? He can’t catch a cold. We need a quick receiver who runs fantastic routes. Cole Beasley would have been awesome. 

Teams bracket Adams. Someone has to make them pay. We have zero speed.

That’s the issue with the receivers especially on 3rd down - dropped passes and no separation. Adams was it. MVS was an unmitigated disaster. Lazard was a great fine and I definitely think he earned right to start outside. But where are the hands and speed in the slot? Funchess? He can’t catch a cold. We need a quick receiver who runs fantastic routes. Cole Beasley would have been awesome. 

Teams bracket Adams. Someone has to make them pay. We have zero speed.
I think this team has plenty of speed. It's the hands that seem like the issue to some. I disagree... but I will save that argument for now

I think this team has plenty of speed. It's the hands that seem like the issue to some. I disagree... but I will save that argument for now
Where is the speed? There is none. Watching MVS track a deep ball was horrifying, Lazard does a great job of position his body to make a catch but he is not fast. I would argue the packers have the slowest receivers in the NFL.

Where is the speed? There is none. Watching MVS track a deep ball was horrifying, Lazard does a great job of position his body to make a catch but he is not fast. I would argue the packers have the slowest receivers in the NFL.
Before I answer, what is your quantification of speed... 40 time?

No doubt and it showed by teams all playing up. Because we had no deep threat on the team. 

I have nothing to back this up but I am willing to bet that Rodgers continued his same old change the play #### from time to time and the Packers are sending him a message/preparing to move on before his contract is up. 

If they are concerned about the backup position, which is a concern, they would have taken a guy like Fromm round 3 or kept their 4th for a qb. 

Spending a 1st on a QB sends a message loud and clear IMO, and for Packer fans it seems to be a bit to digest. But we dont know what's going on. 

It used to be "in ted we trust." This is far more out there than anything Ted did. In the end the Packera trusted their board and they have 100% of the info. We have maybe 5% 

It still doesn't change how I feel about passing on 2 impact LBs at the time of their first 2 picks, but what do I know. I am a guy sitting on his couch plugging wrs into a spreadsheet drinking Corona and lime
Moving up in the first to send a message? Seems unlikely. They do look to be heading for a divorce though and the way Rogers is I can’t see it taking more than a year. He’s pretty prickly so I’m thinking it’ll be an ugly year. I hope he’s traded somewhere good. 

Users who are viewing this thread