What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (3 Viewers)

This is a good point but it doesn't touch on the impact having a power running game will have on the defense. IMHO not only will a stronger running game help Rodgers (if he doesn't bail out of it at the line)but it will help the defense stay fresher.
Green Bay was 6th in the NFL last year in time of possession. The defense was plenty fresh - the way to solve defensive issues was to actually address the defensive issues and not use the first two picks on positions that were already the strongest on the team.

The moves were made because Packers are embarking on a new era and saying goodbye to the current one. The reasons why don’t really matter to me anymore.

Management needs to be honest instead of all the coach speak rah rah that is going on right now. If you wanted Rodgers to stay as long as he wanted you would never have drafted a qb in the first round (you would draft players that help the current roster) Try to keep Rodgers calm this year as no way he can be traded this late in the game. And start to put out feelers for trade partners next year.

Green Bay was 6th in the NFL last year in time of possession. The defense was plenty fresh - the way to solve defensive issues was to actually address the defensive issues and not use the first two picks on positions that were already the strongest on the team.

The moves were made because Packers are embarking on a new era and saying goodbye to the current one. The reasons why don’t really matter to me anymore.

Management needs to be honest instead of all the coach speak rah rah that is going on right now. If you wanted Rodgers to stay as long as he wanted you would never have drafted a qb in the first round (you would draft players that help the current roster) Try to keep Rodgers calm this year as no way he can be traded this late in the game. And start to put out feelers for trade partners next year.
Yeah, that defense sure looked fresh in the NFC championship game.

Yeah, that defense sure looked fresh in the NFC championship game.
Interesting your solution to getting run over in the Championship game is to add a running back in the second round instead of addressing the defensive deficiencies? The D could not stop the run in the first second third or fourth quarters. Receivers were not getting open at all.

We addressed these issues by signing Devin Funchess, and ignoring the front 7 except for signing Christian Kirksey.

I am okay now with the moves understanding we need a short 2-3 year rebuild (hopefully) . Let’s just not try to justify these moves as an attempt to help Rodgers or the D.

Gute and Lafleur era will be defined by their decision this year. Could be genius we don’t know right now - Love can be Patrick Mahomes and AJ Dillon can be Jerome Bettis. Love can also be TJ Rubley and Dillon could be Brent Fullwood. Time will tell.

Rueben Foster looking for a new home.  Does he play ILB?  

Has some off the field baggage and an injury history but....maybe a flier on a one-year prove it deal?

EDIT: My bad - I thought he was out of contract.  They just declined his 5th year option, but he's still a Redskin

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the cost?  Because Davis has never shown close to what Cooper and Parker had.
I think Davis is a good receiver but I agree, this team needs speed in the middle of the field. Davis doesn’t do that. Just need to keep an eye on the cuts. Some speedy slot reclamation projects will be available.

Davante is awesome. Alan Lazard intrigues me. Other than those two? Ooof.

Whats the cost?  Because Davis has never shown close to what Cooper and Parker had.
You're right, it definitely depends on cost. But the Titans have already made it clear they're willing to get nothing for him. I don't know what it'll take, but a little something has to be better than just letting him walk. First round pick, has flashed before, I think/hope he still has a chance to turn things around, no matter where he ends up. 

I think Davis is a good receiver but I agree, this team needs speed in the middle of the field. Davis doesn’t do that. Just need to keep an eye on the cuts. Some speedy slot reclamation projects will be available.

Davante is awesome. Alan Lazard intrigues me. Other than those two? Ooof.
John Ross

Packers "Legacy" Documentary Found this on Slick Deals. I did a search and didn't find anything (although the Beastie Boys came up a couple times) and wasn't sifting through 40 pages of Cheesehead talk :yucky:   :P

From the site:  "Legacy: 100 Seasons of the Green Bay Packers tells the remarkable story of the Packers, from the team's humble beginnings to its centennial season."

I'm sure any Packers fan worht his salt already knows of it, but just in case.

Looks pretty cool

Positives of the schedule...

While starting on the road in Minnesota sounds bad (and unprecedented...it may be the first time its happened)...its a positive for a few reasons IMO.  Minnesota lost a few people in the offseason including Diggs.  So while they should have healthy Cook...a rookie WR in the first game shouldn't be as good as having a veteran like Diggs.  The other reason is the same reason its good to get the road game to New Orleans Early....both of those domes get loud.  But being early in the season, its very likely stadiums will not be allowed yet at full capacity.  The noise disadvantage should be significantly lower.

I think an early bye this year is a partial positive.  A chance to reset a little based on what you finally see on the field after an abbreviated preseason/offseason.  That extra earlier week of prep before the rest of the schedule.

Negatives...

The flip side is with a veteran team, early byes mean you are going down the stretch possibly more tired and beat down.

Coming off of a home game against Minnesota, a Thursday night road trip to San Fran.  So two physical tough defenses in a row, one on the road with short rest.  Now, yeah maybe its only a small negative as I don't think any of us are currently thinking they win on the road in SF anyway.

This was the indefinite thread...probably need to switch that name...the 2020 thread gets no eyes or steam.

Funchess opting out...there really isn't anything out there WR wise...so barring a trade...we are going with Davante, Lazard, MVS, Kumerow and St. Brown it seems.

And if we are making no moves to improve that...lets see how the offense goes....do we get cap relief for his opt out?  If so...use it in a few ways.

1.  Lock up Kenny Clark...get this deal done as letting him play this out likely only increases his value.

2.  Sign more on D if there is nothing left on O.  Bring Tramon back...and/or if the dollars make sense (yeah, bit of a verbal pun), why not a guy like Everson Griffin.  There is apparent mutual interest...guy can still play and still get after the QB.  Another really good player on the D front cannot hurt the run D at all.  Put him with Kenny Clark...even have Gary on the line or move around the Smiths to exploit guards...have the Smiths on the outside...and the D front could be quite formidable.

Kenny Clark got paid!!!!   Definitely will be interesting how this affects cap and other contracts moving forward...but definitely happy to have the guy locked up.  He has been very good in the middle and allows them to do things on the outside.  Money wise...probably hurts them keeping both Linsley and Bahktiari...if past is any indication (even with new guys at the top), you keep the LT and draft and develop another center.  Also have to worry about King and soon enough Jaire as well.   But when you draft a player and he exceeds his own draft position and plays like Clark, keep the guy.

Also...AJ Dillon at least looks the part...the little Ive seen/heard from practices is just about how large of a guy he is...and definitely not built like Lacy.  Interesting to see how they use him, Jones, and Williams (so people can complain about Williams getting touches).

@FBG Moderator I think the OP is gone...can we get a name change here to 2020 Green Bay Packers...or back to Indefinite Green Bay Packers thread?  This was a good one where a lot of people posted...I think it got messed up when Dr. Dan or whatever started hiding threads.

Nice to win on the road against the Vikings...I think I said earlier in the offseason that having them early in Minn would be good because of minimal or no crowd and it definitely was.  Rodgers being able to draw a team offsides so much in their own stadium was fun to see.  New Orleans may try to have a few people in for the game there...but should still be a much quieter crowd than normal...so having early games takes away some of those home advantages for those teams.

Rodgers was fantastic...just in complete control still.  The only real complaint I have is the ongoing one that is still causing timeouts...not breaking the huddle til late or constantly taking the clock down.   I get some of it as the plan seems to be to control time of possession and all...but definitely not great seeing that clock always down low and still wasting timeouts too often.

Run game was ok...some of that goes with the negatives of the day with injuries up front.  Nice to see the few carries from Dillon be productive and see him use the power.  Jones and Jamal still look good.  They have the depth at RB to use the run game a lot.  And add in Ervin calling him an RB as well...the speed on those sweeps is cool to use to set up other stuff.

WRs...Davante and Rodgers looked like they were just playing around...such a good combo.  Lazard played well and showed he can be relied on so far.  MVS...yeah, the drops sucked...but then also makes the big plays.  Hopefully works into a little more consistency...but seems its the same issues with him.  Stays healthy...he should at least keep giving them the deep threat they need.

TE...not a lot to talk about.  Sternberger mostly a blocker...Deguara looked ok...some nice blocks and motion and definitely a big body.

OL...the good...0 sacks and Rodgers didn't take hits at all really.  So the play was there.  Not sure why they moved Jenkins to RT...Wagner actually held up over there just fine.  Injuries suck and feel awful for Taylor who worked his tail off to come back from injury to win his RG spot and then have the injury first game (looked like ACL but haven't looked at anything this morning to see if they confirmed that).  Bring back Veldeheer as depth?  I guess the good is you didn't see issues with the rookie Runyan coming in after the injuries.

D...up and down...don't like the first drive where they went down the field easy..but then settled in other than the hurry up stuff at the end giving up bigger plays.  And hoping Clark's injury isn't major.  Z Smith and Jaire were great...secondary played well for the most part...don't like passing off Thielen to a safety though which led to a TD.  Seems the problems stopping the run are still there...looked so often like overaggressive and overpursuit led to the bigger runs more than anything.  Kirksey looked pretty good.

Overall...a nice win all around on the road

Offense looked to be in mid season form....do we really need pre-season anymore? I felt bad for the Vikings rookie CB's.......nah! 

Defense looked the same as last year, solid at times ala Jaire blitz safety but give up huge chunks in the run game. GB as in Gonna Be a bunch of shootouts.

MVS is going to be a waiver wire pickup this week but I'd rather have Lazard if either was still available. 

Most of us would admit the 13-3 record last year was somewhat flattering to the Packers, but its still surprising to me how this team is totally flying under the radar (and I love it.)  6-0 in the division, go to the final 4 last season, and then have an incredible offensive performance in week 1 and its still pretty quiet out there regarding this team.  With the mash unit they had at OL, it is stunning to me the Vikings managed no sacks, no holding penalties, no false starts.  I really don't claim to be very knowledgeable on such things, but it seems to me this young coach called a fantastic game -- balanced, tons of different personnel groupings, using all the weapons, and we know they can play even better.  One week into his second season and he's yet to lose a division game.  

I think MVS had a big game early last year then vanished the rest of the season. They were idiots in the draft and a lot more than GB Fans think so. I’m hopeful though, like every year. 

Gute is so stupid, every fantasy football nerd out there knows the team needed to add a rookie WR above all else.  

But can he catch?
I mean all it took was trading up in the first for a qb to light a fire under Arodg...pretty steep frigging price to pay. Maybe adding a legit wr woulda had the same effect with the bonus of adding a player to the weekly active roster who could contribute to wins. 

Another game another 40 points.

Ugly start by the D...that unit is having issues even with the win yesterday.  Got no real pressure on Stafford for most of the game and relied IMO on Detroit mistakes to slow their offense.  Jaire is really really good...Gary showed some flashes which is nice to see that development especially as long as Clark is out that they can move the Smiths around to try and plug the holes left by Clark's absence.   Amos looks almost lost to me...  Next week will test them big time obviously going against NO.

Offense just keeps clicking along...Jones looks really really good...the OL is playing quite well despite the shuffling and injuries.  (cap space sucks to try and keep both Bahktiari and Linsley on the line...plus Jones...plus will be time to re-up Jaire and have to make the decision on Kevin King).   Rodgers was not quite as sharp yesterday but still fantastic.  Looked like he was back to a lot of off balance stuff vs. week 1 where he seemed in rhythm and on time with passes.   Jace is on a short leash especially when Deguara gets back...big drops and Tonyan making more plays and Lewis, while slow, will at least catch the damn ball.

Eq. St. Brown to IR...is Ervin considered the 4th WR now...that group is hanging in there, but man I wonder when they start looking into teams that are struggling to try to poach some depth at WR.  

But 2-0 to start the year, both division games...sure makes things better.

The non-on the field thoughts...

How long should the leash be on Gute?  Gary showing flashes will help...but the criticism around this draft will only build if the season keeps going this way.  Rodgers looks great, Jones looks great...and the receivers, while holding on a bit...are nothing special outside of Davante.   

Seems this draft was putting off what could be a solid 2-3 years stretch to try and build 3-5 years from now.

Now while the team looks like they could compete in the next 2-3 years...they are looking at possibly losing some of their best players to FA (Bahktiari, Jones, Linsley, King...)  And the only thing drafted to try and replace...was a RB who doesn't bring what Jones does to the table.

How long should the leash be on Gute?  Gary showing flashes will help...but the criticism around this draft will only build if the season keeps going this way.  Rodgers looks great, Jones looks great...and the receivers, while holding on a bit...are nothing special outside of Davante.   

Seems this draft was putting off what could be a solid 2-3 years stretch to try and build 3-5 years from now.

Now while the team looks like they could compete in the next 2-3 years...they are looking at possibly losing some of their best players to FA (Bahktiari, Jones, Linsley, King...)  And the only thing drafted to try and replace...was a RB who doesn't bring what Jones does to the table.
If the season keeps going the way its gone so far (unlikely, I know), you give Gutekunst a lifetime contact and LaFleur gets a street named after him.

The idea that this draft signaled the end of Rogers and Jones in Green Bay is typical message board short-sighted view of how a team should be run.

Gary's play the first two weeks is a perfect reminder that you don't draft for the rookie season only.  Sure, some rookies make a big splash, but the great majority of players need a couple years to develop, across the board at all positions.  A GM has to look ahead to maintain long term success.  If he's doing his job correctly, they will sometimes lose good players to teams willing to pay more.

Granted, if Love, AJ, Gary and others turn out to be busts and the team suffers a few 4 win seasons, they should clean house once again.  Right now, the team leadership couldn't possibly look any better.

3 years from now, we will look back on it as one of the worst drafts in franchise history.  Until we start losing, it won’t matter.

If the season keeps going the way its gone so far (unlikely, I know), you give Gutekunst a lifetime contact and LaFleur gets a street named after him.

The idea that this draft signaled the end of Rogers and Jones in Green Bay is typical message board short-sighted view of how a team should be run.

Gary's play the first two weeks is a perfect reminder that you don't draft for the rookie season only.  Sure, some rookies make a big splash, but the great majority of players need a couple years to develop, across the board at all positions.  A GM has to look ahead to maintain long term success.  If he's doing his job correctly, they will sometimes lose good players to teams willing to pay more.

Granted, if Love, AJ, Gary and others turn out to be busts and the team suffers a few 4 win seasons, they should clean house once again.  Right now, the team leadership couldn't possibly look any better.
I agree you look ahead...but my look ahead is talking the next 2-3 years...they apparently have been in talks about extending Jones...that is good.  But if you planned on that, why take Dillon (Jamal won't cost much at all and could have likely locked up RB position for another 4 years between the two of them cheaper than you can now).

Love I can sort of see...but just having signed Rodgers to the extension...what do you get out of that pick until maybe 3 years from now?  When you could have drafted people that help you not saying this year...but by next year and the year after...

Im not quite ready to anoint Gute as that even if this season keeps going...especially if you then lose 2-3 of Jones, Bahktiari, Linsley, and King.

So I guess the offense is pretty good...I mean, beating up Minnesota and Detroit, I can see people saying thats just crappy D.  Go into NO (even with no crowd) without Davante and put up 37....thats a nice night.

Rodgers looks lights out this year...I don't care if its being single again, some zen crap he does, whatever he saw on tape from 2010, or being pissed off/motivated by them taking a QB...guy looks foscused and ready to keep slinging it and winning.  Timing is better, arm looks live and sharp, he isn't hesitating to throw into tighter windows...he is just flat out on his game.

I don't know how we can afford Jones and Bahktiari...but can we afford not to?  They are both just so good.  Perfect fits with Rodgers...damn wish we could have another 3-4 years of play like this with those 3.  Whole Oline is really playing well...opening holes for the run game, and giving Rodgers time.  Love it.

Jace caught passes!!! Throw a freakin party...still waiting to see Deguara come back as I like the versatility he brings...but getting production from 3 TEs last night was nice to see.  Especially with MVS basically blanketed as they didn't seem to want to get beat deep by him (and instead got beat deep twice by Lazard).  Lazard really looking good too...getting separation and running nice routes.

Defensively...Keke do you love me?  Guy had a nice game last night...good to see someone on the line stepping up a little bit....need Clark back big time...they continue to just get run over...good thing the offense keeps getting leads to where teams have to throw late.  Tackling last night left something to be desired.  Id actually like to see more of the young guy Barnes at LB...seems to make a few nice plays every game (and every time it seems he then comes off the field).  Have not read much today so unsure about how bad Kirksey is injured...hopefully not too bad.  Definitely still need some help there to stop the run...pass rush wasn't much last night...but enough to get to Brees a couple of times and Z to make the play on Taysom Hill which was a game changer.

3-0 is pretty good...

Have the Packers faced a real defense yet?  Probably not, but check this out:

Mike Renner @PFF_Mike

To put into context how insane the Packers offense has been so far, here's how they'd stack up historically in points per drive:

3.73 Packers (2020)

---------------------

3.19 Patriots (2007)

3.12 Chiefs (2018)

2.96 Saints (2011)

2.85 Packers (2011)

2.83 Broncos (2013)

So who's the GB WR3 to target/stash with Lazard out for a while? At least so far Rodgers seems to be able to support 3 guys.

So who's the GB WR3 to target/stash with Lazard out for a while? At least so far Rodgers seems to be able to support 3 guys.
A TE?  Take a guess each week as to which one.

What would it take for GB to get Crowder from the Jets?

Ross from the Bengals has been a healthy inactive.

Last edited by a moderator:
A TE?  Take a guess each week as to which one.

What would it take for GB to get Crowder from the Jets?

Ross from the Bengals has been a healthy inactive.
Ross would make some sense, but Crowder is likely untouchable, he's still pretty young and the #1 WR. 

Why not shoot high for AJ Green? Gives the Bengals a shot to roll with their young guys, and gives Green Bay an experienced weapon defenses have to account for, who excels at contested catches, unlike all other Packers WR's, except Adams of course. I think Green is still a good WR, just no longer a top one. Give him #2 coverage(he's been getting #1 coverage this year so far) and he could be a difference maker.

On he cheaper side, I think Dede Westbrook should be attainable. He was a healthy scratch until Chark went down.

Middle ground option: What about Golden Tate? Giants aren't going anywhere, and he's unlikely to be back there in 2021.

Ross would make some sense, but Crowder is likely untouchable, he's still pretty young and the #1 WR. 

Why not shoot high for AJ Green? Gives the Bengals a shot to roll with their young guys, and gives Green Bay an experienced weapon defenses have to account for, who excels at contested catches, unlike all other Packers WR's, except Adams of course. I think Green is still a good WR, just no longer a top one. Give him #2 coverage(he's been getting #1 coverage this year so far) and he could be a difference maker.

On he cheaper side, I think Dede Westbrook should be attainable. He was a healthy scratch until Chark went down.

Middle ground option: What about Golden Tate? Giants aren't going anywhere, and he's unlikely to be back there in 2021.
We need WRs who can get separation.  Can AJ Green still do that?

Users who are viewing this thread