What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (2 Viewers)

Wow that was unexpected.  Glad they have him locked up.

Means good bye to Aaron Jones, likely bye to Linsley...King may stay as his injuries are making his price come down.  And Jamal just depends on how much he seeks.

@CletiusMaximus, the Bucks mortgaging the future and going all-in right now for Giannis is exactly how I'd like the Packers to operate. Don't play it safe to be consistently very good; take a risk in order to possibly be the best.
Meh...Im not so sure you can really compare to basketball draft picks...the value isn't nearly the same in basketball.  In addition, its a sport where one player makes that much of a difference vs. football.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the type of move the Packers should have been making all along.

This team goes as far as Rodgers takes them. He has 2-4 years left of great play. Signing an all pro left tackle to a four year deal is smart. Drafting a qb and running back in round one and 2 is not.

You play for championships. Rodgers is a championship player. Now is not the time to build for the future - its time to build for present.

The smart move when Rodgers retires - take cap hits and clear cap room with an eye on a 2-3 year rebuild. Team will be horrendous but that is okay. 

Love this signing. Next up should be Aaron Jones.

I'm sure Packers GM Brian Gutekunst is now kicking himself for trading up in 1st round to draft Jordan Love when he could had taken Tee Higgins.  And then take ILB Willie Gay instead of AJ Dillon to fortify his team defense.  

I'm sure Packers GM Brian Gutekunst is now kicking himself for trading up in 1st round to draft Jordan Love when he could had taken Tee Higgins.  And then take ILB Willie Gay instead of AJ Dillon to fortify his team defense.  
What would be the point of a middle line backer...Pettine would just fail to actually use him.

This game yesterday was an all around cluster f that they still had a good chance to win.

The first half was nearly masterful as an offensive playcaller from LaFluer (even with the turnovers from Rodgers who played well outside of that in the first half)...the 2nd half the exact opposite.  Similar to the Minnesota game...they got run on all game...but they were up or tied like then until a few three and outs by the offense and the D couldn't then stop anyone.  The run game had nice moments...so they just went completely away from it...that after a brilliant first half.  I was stunned at how inept they were in the 2nd half.

We saw the ups and downs of MVS...the huge catch to move the ball on the last drive...and that fumble.

Darrius Shepherd should not see the field again returning kicks.  Just awful all day yesterday.

Pettine should have been made to ride a bus home...that was a pitiful performance.  That he continued to run dime defense while getting run on (again) is pathetic.  And he had no excuse about injuries as he had the full compliment of his personnel.  They have the corners and safeties that they should not need 5 and 6 defensive backs to cover that group of receivers.  Yet...even in nickel and dime they weren't covering anyway...and did he bring pressure?  Nope...stuck with a 4 man rush that wasn't exactly getting home.  When they bring Kamal Martin in with Kirksey...oh look, run plays don't go for 8-9 yards...lets pull him off the field again. (especially fun when Indy brings in Brissett who wasn't going to be out there to throw the ball)  And the insistence to stick with Preston Smith playing that many snaps despite playing terribly (while Gary seems to be playing much better yet coming off the field a ton).  Its nuts.  Just absolutely nuts.

I don’t like to get in to who he could have drafted. Easy to name players after season is underway.

I don’t think anyone will dispute, however, his choice to draft a qb and a Rb in first two rounds was beyond dumb.

I am using my eyes and have not looked at any analytics but man does it look like Preston Smith’s play has dropped off a cliff.

This team isn’t sniffing the super bowl which is a shame - the defense is an embarrassment.  

Run over by San Fran in NFC championship game and do nothing of substance to address d. They should do Rodgers a favor and trade him in the offseason, he deserves better.

I don’t like to get in to who he could have drafted. Easy to name players after season is underway.

I don’t think anyone will dispute, however, his choice to draft a qb and a Rb in first two rounds was beyond dumb.
QB yes.  RB, no.  I disagree given contract situations that it was an awful move on its own.

QB yes.  RB, no.  I disagree given contract situations that it was an awful move on its own.
Could have drafted a running back in 2021 or signed a complimentary back (they are not expensive).

Aaron Jones should have been re-signed prior to this season and should still be re-signed.

running back in the second round was an absolute waste due to the fact The window is closed in 2-3 years.

Could have drafted a running back in 2021 or signed a complimentary back (they are not expensive).

Aaron Jones should have been re-signed prior to this season and should still be re-signed.

running back in the second round was an absolute waste due to the fact The window is closed in 2-3 years.
Aaron Jones will cost a ton...a ton they don't have.  He would have still costed quite a bit coming off of what he did last year.  Not sure he is worth that type of money if he wants Dalvin Cook/McCaffrey money.

And yeah...could have could have could have.  sure.  Or you could use this year for what it is...a redshirt given what they were thinking then of maybe not even getting to play...and have a guy ready to step in next year.  I just don't fault RB as much as I do QB then...

Aaron Jones will cost a ton...a ton they don't have.  He would have still costed quite a bit coming off of what he did last year.  Not sure he is worth that type of money if he wants Dalvin Cook/McCaffrey money.

And yeah...could have could have could have.  sure.  Or you could use this year for what it is...a redshirt given what they were thinking then of maybe not even getting to play...and have a guy ready to step in next year.  I just don't fault RB as much as I do QB then...
I have no doubt that they will resign Aaron Jones. This roster will look very different next year as they cut or avoid resigning Linsley, King, Preston Smith, Kirksey, Amos, etc. to stay under the cap. 

My biggest issue with AJ Dillion is not that they drafted him, but that they don't use him. How many times are they going to pass on 3rd and 1. Rodgers refuses to run sneaks and they won't bring in the 250 lb rb to gain a yard. 

I have no doubt that they will resign Aaron Jones. This roster will look very different next year as they cut or avoid resigning Linsley, King, Preston Smith, Kirksey, Amos, etc. to stay under the cap. 

My biggest issue with AJ Dillion is not that they drafted him, but that they don't use him. How many times are they going to pass on 3rd and 1. Rodgers refuses to run sneaks and the won't bring in the 250 lb rb to gain a yard. 
Agree on some of this...but I don't think they resign Jones...I think Jamal gets an Ekeler type deal and its he and Dillon next year.

Preston can go...he has been a disappointment all year and yesterday sealed that...he was flat out awful...yet always on the field.  I just couldn't get over how stubborn they were to try to change yesterday.  Keeping him on over and over...and sticking with nickel and dime defense that wasn't working.

I wonder if the reasoning behind not sneaking was using Jenkins at C vs having Linsley out there.  Then Jenkins still got beat by his guy which forced a quicker throw.

Agree on some of this...but I don't think they resign Jones...I think Jamal gets an Ekeler type deal and its he and Dillon next year.

Preston can go...he has been a disappointment all year and yesterday sealed that...he was flat out awful...yet always on the field.  I just couldn't get over how stubborn they were to try to change yesterday.  Keeping him on over and over...and sticking with nickel and dime defense that wasn't working.

I wonder if the reasoning behind not sneaking was using Jenkins at C vs having Linsley out there.  Then Jenkins still got beat by his guy which forced a quicker throw.
I just can't see them not bringing back Jones. He has been too productive and too dynamic to this offense. I agree he may not be worth the price, but maybe they front load the  deal. I think Jamal walks and they draft another back in the middle rounds. I could be wrong here. 

I considered Jenkins at center being a factor. It's just frustrating watching them pass out of shotgun on 3rd and 4th and short. The entire narrative around drafting Dillon was how ineffective they were in short yardage last year. 

Thought I read in here somewhere that they’ve been using Preston in coverage more this year.

I just can't see them not bringing back Jones. He has been too productive and too dynamic to this offense. I agree he may not be worth the price, but maybe they front load the  deal. I think Jamal walks and they draft another back in the middle rounds. I could be wrong here. 

I considered Jenkins at center being a factor. It's just frustrating watching them pass out of shotgun on 3rd and 4th and short. The entire narrative around drafting Dillon was how ineffective they were in short yardage last year. 
If the Packers were say the Jaguars and far away from competing then they should not resign Jones because it wouldn’t make any sense to.

But Packers have a small window. You get creative with the cap now and pay the consequence when Rodgers retires. When you have a player like Rodgers at the end of his career you play to win now.

when Rodgers retires take all the cap hits in a two year span and stink for two seasons to clear cap and get good draft picks.

Packers are doing exactly what you shouldn’t do.

Yeah.   But the coaches mis-using him isn’t his fault.  Put him on the edge and let him get at the QB.  He’s being mis-used this year.  It’s odd.
To be fair he has been abysmal in every facet on D. He looks totally unprepared out there. Huge drop off from last season. 

They have the money and Jones is an elite back. They need to let Jamal walk and pay Jones. 

In a normal year I would be livid at the money Bakhtari got but this is it - the closing of a small window. Have to maximize cap now and pay the Piper down the road.

I can...not sure they value RB at that price.  When they can keep Jamal for much less plus a rookie contract for Dillon.  I think it was the plan when they drafted Dillon.

They weren't in shot gun for 4th and short though...he was under center...Id have preffered shot gun to that play action mess.  I think he gets a much cleaner throw at it that has worked quite well in short yardage at times.

But yeah...frustrating that they have him and won't use him in short yardage ever.  Just as it is frustrating to see Kamal Martin play well...yet rarely see the field even when they are getting steamrolled by the run game of another team.  Im quite tired of the Pettine keep it all in front of you D that gives up long plays on 3rd and 20 just to see a team then go for it on 4th and 3-5.

He got worked by Burton on that td catch
He did and Amos screwed the pooch jumping to the other TEs off the line leaving it one on one with Preston.

Game was a complete cluster of bad defensive calls...getting outplayed/coached on special teams...and the offense puking in the 2nd half.

They have the money and Jones is an elite back. They need to let Jamal walk and pay Jones. 

In a normal year I would be livid at the money Bakhtari got but this is it - the closing of a small window. Have to maximize cap now and pay the Piper down the road.
They have the money?  Not sure where you are seeing that.  They were already up against things pretty good and just gave Bahktiari a big pay day (granted...much of his is backloaded).

And have King and Linsley up in free agency too.  Id put Linsley as a bigger priority than Jones.  And I love Aaron Jones.

Can't read too much into that game other than...the Bears still suck and Trubisky is still Trubisky.  So on this holiday weekend I am thankful the Bears moved up to take him and passed on QBs who are far better from that draft.

What can we take from the game?

-the D still does suck...I just have zero confidence in Pettine at this point.  I keep watching and don't think its all personnel.  I think its scheme and a lot of what Blake Martinez talked about with the OLBs allowed to do about whatever they want and hope the middle linebackers can clean it up.  They rush outside and lose containment...they jump and are almost overagressive in their run assignments leaving big holes and cut back lanes.  Disappointed thus far in Kenny Clark...was happy to see him get paid but he has been invisible much of the time.

-Positives of the D...Martin getting hurt but being able to come back...I think they need to stay in more 2 MLB sets to try and slow people's run.  Now with King and Jaire both on the field you don't have to shift to so much dime defense.   Jaire is really really good.  Nice to see Savage have an impact again.  Gary is coming along well too...definitely a ton of talent in him.

-Elgton Jenkins is freaky good.  To be able to move around the line the way he does and handle it all so well as a 2nd year guy...they better be sure they lock him up as soon as they have a chance.  And Runyan is working out nicely as well.  The whole line is solid.  Hate to see Linsley get hurt again...looked bad.  Hoping he can get back and not sure they can afford him for next year but would be good to keep much of the line intact.

-Davante still so so good.  Lazard hopefully will be ok as he definitely adds a lot to have that reliable #2 WR.  EQ actually making plays was nice to see for once.  Can't count on him though.

-Rodgers is in complete control and he and Lafluer seem to be on the same page well...not sure what was going on last week in the 2nd half...but they made that Bear defense look average (helps having Hicks out...but we have seen an injury or two so that excuse doesn't work for me).

At this point...stay healthy...hope you can get through the last few games...hope NO loses again and maybe get the #1 seed.  I don't think this is a great team...but the QB playing this way gives them a shot against almost anyone.  Can the D stop anyone good?

Remember when the Packers were all dumb as rocks for signing Billy Turner?  This OL is such a pleasure to watch.

Peter Bukowski @Peter_Bukowski

All 5 of the #Packers offensive linemen are top-10 in their position in ESPN's Pass Block Win Rate.

Billy Turner is #1 among OTs

David Bakhtiari is #3 among OTs

Corey Linsley is #3 among C's

Lucas Patrick is #9 among G's

Elgton Jenkins is #10 among G's

Remember when the Packers were all dumb as rocks for signing Billy Turner?  This OL is such a pleasure to watch.
Liked hearing Rodgers talk about Jenkins...saying it as a compliment that when you see him play each position you think it may be his best position.  That he can just slide pretty seamlessly around and produce at a high level.

Love him at LG...but with Linsley out a few weeks C it is for now...will he end up making that permanent allowing them to let Linsley walk?  Runyan hasn't played all that bad as a rookie.

But yeah...the OL has been a consistent bright spot for the team for sure.

Tavon Austin signed....meh.  I mean its good that it gets Darrius Shepherd off the field (and well, now he is gone).  Good depth while Ervin is hurt.  Maybe he can run some jet sweeps and bubble screens (so MVS isn't taking anymore of those screens).

Im wondering why Kenny Stillsl has sat out there and cleared Waivers.  Id take him in an instant over Malik Taylor and EQ.

The Packers have now won 7 of the last 10 NFC North Championships (Vikings 2, Bears 1) and are the NFC #1 seed today. They have won 14 division titles since 1995, the second-most in the NFL in that time (New England, 19). They have won 10 games or more in 10 of the last 14 seasons.  Matt LaFleur's NFC North record is 10-1.

Looking back at the 2019 NFL Draft after 18 months, we can confidently say drafting Gary, Savage and Jenkins in the first 50 picks has a floor of being a great draft and a ceiling of being a home run draft.

Please tell me about how "dumb" the Packers are for drafting for the future, why they should go all-in on big name free agents and plan to suck for a couple years while rebuilding, or how the front office settles for mediocrity and "doesn't want to win."

At one point in today's game the TV announcer said "Rodgers has so many options." He must not follow this thread or listen to any Packer fans. Seems they complain about how the front office fails to get Rodgers any weapons. Maybe they know what they already have. MVS had a really good game and show promise if he could be more consistent. Tonyan is looking to be solid.

At one point in today's game the TV announcer said "Rodgers has so many options." He must not follow this thread or listen to any Packer fans. Seems they complain about how the front office fails to get Rodgers any weapons. Maybe they know what they already have. MVS had a really good game and show promise if he could be more consistent. Tonyan is looking to be solid.
MVS had a really good game today.  Tonyan looks awesome.  Chmura part 2 minus the hot tub.

The Packers have now won 7 of the last 10 NFC North Championships (Vikings 2, Bears 1) and are the NFC #1 seed today. They have won 14 division titles since 1995, the second-most in the NFL in that time (New England, 19). They have won 10 games or more in 10 of the last 14 seasons.  Matt LaFleur's NFC North record is 10-1.

Looking back at the 2019 NFL Draft after 18 months, we can confidently say drafting Gary, Savage and Jenkins in the first 50 picks has a floor of being a great draft and a ceiling of being a home run draft.

Please tell me about how "dumb" the Packers are for drafting for the future, why they should go all-in on big name free agents and plan to suck for a couple years while rebuilding, or how the front office settles for mediocrity and "doesn't want to win."
Love to see them playing as a team.  Exciting to watch guys like MVS, Savage and Gary step up.

Really glad to be wrong anytime I’m negative about this team.

Still a couple of teams worry me in the playoffs.  I think the Rams with their combination of offense and defense gives us problems. Seattle could be a shootout. Saints the second time around could be a problem if Brees is healthy.
Agreed 100%

Man, Henry is going to run for a gazillion yards on this D in 2 weeks.  

They sure get after the pass though...

I think they know what they have on Tonyan...MVS...I think they know he has talent but still hasn't put it all together.  This past week was a nice sign for him...but will he keep going.  That was not the typical MVS game of 2-3 catches one being a deep ball.  He was catching the intermediate stuff...making contested catches...and gulp, a back shoulder TD.  Hell, two back shoulder balls to WRs the other day when we have not seen all that much of that since Jordy left.  That doesn't mean they still should not have improved the weapons around Rodgers IMO.

Also...Schlereth was pretty crappy all day as an announcer.  From not understanding multiple times that players going out of bounds does not always stop the clock...to his continued calling Matt Stafford elite.

Agreed, but Pettine still needs to go, like last week.

Man, Henry is going to run for a gazillion yards on this D in 2 weeks.  

They sure get after the pass though...
I believe he does need to go yes...and yes, Henry will run for a ton.  

And what is odd is it all seems scheme.  Part of which works...part of which is badly broken.  They seem to play like giving up runs doesn't matter.  Giving up anything underneath doesn't matter.  Just don't get beat deep.  Everything kept in front of them and make a team move the ball down the field slowly.  Thinking that gives them more chances to get home on the pass rush and possibly create a turnover.  That philosophy is ok if you create a lot of turnovers...or (the other big part of it) you are good at stopping teams in the redzone.  Unfortunately...they don't create a lot of turnovers and are terrible in redzone defense.

And if any coach should be gone by next week...it should be the Special Teams coach...that unit blows.

Users who are viewing this thread