Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

On 12/13/2020 at 7:48 PM, Mr.Pack said:

Agreed, but Pettine still needs to go, like last week.

22 hours ago, Willy said:

Man, Henry is going to run for a gazillion yards on this D in 2 weeks.  

They sure get after the pass though...

I believe he does need to go yes...and yes, Henry will run for a ton.  

And what is odd is it all seems scheme.  Part of which works...part of which is badly broken.  They seem to play like giving up runs doesn't matter.  Giving up anything underneath doesn't matter.  Just don't get beat deep.  Everything kept in front of them and make a team move the ball down the field slowly.  Thinking that gives them more chances to get home on the pass rush and possibly create a turnover.  That philosophy is ok if you create a lot of turnovers...or (the other big part of it) you are good at stopping teams in the redzone.  Unfortunately...they don't create a lot of turnovers and are terrible in redzone defense.

And if any coach should be gone by next week...it should be the Special Teams coach...that unit blows.

• Like 2
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thoughts on the game... First off Mack is really good and it sucks we had a shot at him and he ended up with the Bears.  Definitely changed the game plan for the team.  It should have changed qui

I just wanted to share a story for all you Packers fans.   I'm from Aaron Rodgers hometown and went to the same high school.  He's regularly helped with paying for kids uniforms etc and this year both

Breaking news, Clay Matthews just got flagged for roughing the passer in the Bills game. The penalty will be assessed on the opening kickoff.

On 12/13/2020 at 6:54 PM, CletiusMaximus said:

The Packers have now won 7 of the last 10 NFC North Championships (Vikings 2, Bears 1) and are the NFC #1 seed today. They have won 14 division titles since 1995, the second-most in the NFL in that time (New England, 19). They have won 10 games or more in 10 of the last 14 seasons.  Matt LaFleur's NFC North record is 10-1.

Looking back at the 2019 NFL Draft after 18 months, we can confidently say drafting Gary, Savage and Jenkins in the first 50 picks has a floor of being a great draft and a ceiling of being a home run draft.

Please tell me about how "dumb" the Packers are for drafting for the future, why they should go all-in on big name free agents and plan to suck for a couple years while rebuilding, or how the front office settles for mediocrity and "doesn't want to win."

Yeah...that draft now looks far better than last year at this time.  

Gute has done some nice things that don't always show up immediately.  We will see what 2020 draft really brings.  And how he will handle Rodgers going forward.  Because the way he looks now...you have got to keep him until the wheels fall off.  I think trading up for QB created some unnecessary tension...good that Rodgers seemed to use that tension (and Im sure he will deny that) and maybe put another chip on his shoulder.  Also whatever he did that he talks about and noticed in old film seems to be working...he and LaFleur seem to be pretty well in sync on how to run this offense and they have it humming along quite well.

Also...along with being blessed with Favre then Rodgers...other than a few short periods...we have also had years and years and years of solid kicking from Longwell to Crosby.  How many kickers have most other teams been through in the last 20+ years?

Edited by sho nuff
  • Like 1

What a crap 2nd half...concerning as its not the first time.  And a bad time for Rodgers to have an off day for those in Fantasy (but slightly ok as my opponent had Davante).

Defense playing ok...i mean they are what they are...not flashy at all with flaws.

Oline was not great and went away from pass quick and run the ball to deeper drops and linger routes which got them in trouble.

Going to need to play much better next week...but looking at standings...seems they just have to beat the Bears to end up the 1 seed?  Not sure the 4 way tie scenario...they would have a better conference record than Seattle and same conference record and a head to head win over New Orleans.   So I don’t think a loss to TN would really hurt that much.  But rather just take care pf business in both and earn a week off.

Agree Sho. But we will get destroyed by Ten if we play like we did Saturday night. That was such an ugly offensive performance in the second half against a average or worse defense. Didn’t make any sense, you could also tell Rodgers was getting pissed/frustrated at himself and everyone else. I would like to see us “win” the top spot, but a back in counts also. 

34 minutes ago, The Claymaker said:

Agree Sho. But we will get destroyed by Ten if we play like we did Saturday night. That was such an ugly offensive performance in the second half against a average or worse defense. Didn’t make any sense, you could also tell Rodgers was getting pissed/frustrated at himself and everyone else. I would like to see us “win” the top spot, but a back in counts also. 

Yeah i don’t care much how they get the top spot if they can keep everyone healthy. 

Per bleacherreport, 1 win clinches the top spot

ETA - although ESPN's "machine" would have Seattle at #1 if the Packers beat TEN but lose to CHI (and SEA wins out).  Which would indicate that Seattle would win the next tiebreaker after conference record (both would be 9-3).

Edited by heckmanm
  • Like 2

Finally a 2nd half where we don't just let a team hop back in the game and pull away.

Really impressed with the game plan all around.  And sure...the weather and a lead helps stifle the passing attack of the Titans.  But Pettine called a nice game and made sure Henry wasn't going to kill them.  They were going to live with Tannehill doing it if he could.  They trusted King and Jaire and Savage and it paid off big time.  Dline and LBs played well...got pressure and made tackles.  Really really nice to see it happen.

And the offense...how much more can we say about Rodgers and Adams....just really special and fun to watch.

And now...AJ Dillon...wow, that game was made for him in the slop...showed power and decisive running.  

Savage with another big game...really coming around to be a really good player (tackling and in coverage with the INT and almost a 2nd one).

My only complaint was a few plays with him they tried to run some finesse outside stuff...he is not suited for that type of thing...especially with the footing being questionable maybe for him (though, Jones has no issues there).  When they ran off tackle or power type runs...they were just dominant.  And using Dillon finally in a short yardage play and he busts it for the TD on 4th and 1.

Ok, not my only complaint...not going to debate the offsides or not (did that enough last night)...but special teams once again about let a team back into a game.

Edited by sho nuff

They always end up letting me down but . . . The defense is peaking. Kirksey looks super comfortable now, and Savage looks fantastic. They say it takes safeties a year to get used to the NFL and his play has been night and day.

Edge rush looks fantastic. The Smiths and Gary just continue to bring pressure.

My biggest worry? Interior D Line. What happened to Kenny Clark? He had a few nice stops but I consistently saw him getting destroyed off the ball. 

Nice to see Dillon respond with his opportunities. I enjoy his enthusiasm you can see he really gets into the game. Unfortunately I think his performance spells the end of Aaron Jones in Green Bay next year which is a shame. Jones is the perfect back, explosive runner and great receiver. Have to think they will just re-sign Jamal for cheap and go with Dillon time share.

one other thing, it didn’t always work but I like how they are looking to incorporate Tavon Austin in the offense. I think he is going to break a long one soon.

33 minutes ago, Balco said:

They always end up letting me down but . . . The defense is peaking. Kirksey looks super comfortable now, and Savage looks fantastic. They say it takes safeties a year to get used to the NFL and his play has been night and day.

Edge rush looks fantastic. The Smiths and Gary just continue to bring pressure.

My biggest worry? Interior D Line. What happened to Kenny Clark? He had a few nice stops but I consistently saw him getting destroyed off the ball. 

Nice to see Dillon respond with his opportunities. I enjoy his enthusiasm you can see he really gets into the game. Unfortunately I think his performance spells the end of Aaron Jones in Green Bay next year which is a shame. Jones is the perfect back, explosive runner and great receiver. Have to think they will just re-sign Jamal for cheap and go with Dillon time share.

one other thing, it didn’t always work but I like how they are looking to incorporate Tavon Austin in the offense. I think he is going to break a long one soon.

Agreed on this...Austin was a tough one in that weather as his speed and ability to cut on sweeps and motion and all was negated by the field conditions.

the use is good though to open up other things with Swerve out with the injury.

Odd how the team people called the worst 13-3 team ever last year...has a draft people complain that didn't help them...and go 13-3 again and are the #1 seed in the NFC.

Anyway...always fun to beat the Bears yet again.  Just dominant in that series for a while now.

This was a game of 2 halves (really...3 good quarters and one sucky one).  They have to get those little lapses out...good playoff teams won't let you get away with what happened in the 3rd quarter.

1st 2 quarters...Rodgers just brilliant...Oline held up well.  Then the 3rd quarter and he is a little off and the MVS drop spirals.  Shades of what happened again Minnesota and Indy.  A fe bad series and a team is right back in it...  And Rodgers had a couple get away from him...the one on the sideline intended for Lazard, he just never saw the corner that stepped in and about picked it off.  The other...2nd and short I believe...he has a back sneak out and he looks at it, but then sees and opening to escape the pocket and try and make a play down field.  Problem is...he didnt escape enough and his arm got hit and the ball flutters and should have been picked off.  Other than that...he was once again just flat out dominant in the 4th quarter and in control.  I have no doubt that last TD was him knowing Davante's numbers and getting him another TD would give him a tie of the franchise single season record.  Its now on Lafleur and Gutey not to screw this up...figure out the cap issues and find a way to keep Rodgers happy til the wheels are about to fall off.  Still too much great game left in him to let him go after another year.

Oline...not perfect...but considering it was a good Dline and Wagner coming off of an injury...it held up.  Its obviously going to give up a little more pressure and cannot really stand to lose anyone else to injury.  They also seemed to say the combinations will be matchup based almost.  That just because these were the 5 for this game, they might not be the right 5 for the next.  Guessing that is about Wagner at RT...if they feel that isn't the right lineup...Runyan at LG, Jenkins at LT, and Turner to RT.  But overal played well, opened some nice lanes for Jones and the run game.

RBs...Jones was still electric.  Just don't see how they figure the cap to keep him...but he is special.  Jamal was pretty meh this game.  I like the energy he brings...but a combo of Jones and Dillon looks way more appealing.  Surprised they didn't get Dillon a little work after last week.  A few of the late Williams runs, I would have liked to have seen them with Dillon and the big guy hammering in there on a tired D.

WRs...Adams is obviously just crazy good.  Lazard has a nice role but doesn't seem much more than that.  Few possession type receptions each game and a good blocker.  MVS...well we again saw the good and bad of MVS.  Gets open deep and its 50/50 whether he catches it or not.  Watching one of the college games the other night...how nice would Chris Olave look in green and gold.

D...I still don't get Pettine.  He calls a great game last week...schemed a way to limit Henry as much as possible.  Comes into a game where you are not that worried about Trubiskey (I mean...Tannehill has shown to be much better than Mitch)...and he goes back to the soft run D and was getting torn up.  People not tackling well again...and soft D on 3rd and short with corners playing way off.  They were getting just killed by the short passes in the flat.  I get the overall thing he is going for in a way...don't give up the big play and teams like Chicago won't ever beat you.  It works...its frustrating...but it has worked.  But then they did give up the big play.  And when you do that...and have special teams errors like we had again and have in the past...just not sure he has what it takes.  And his timing on when to blitz makes zero sense to me against a team running short quick passes.  Blitzing corners only to see them go in the flat right there...ugh.

LB...other than the injuries (and yeah a couple plays of poor tackling...some of that was on the secondary too)...LBs have quietly come around to playing well.  Barnes, Martin and Kirksey seem to be filling into their roles.

Hell of a regular season...but that is now over...time to really get serious...keep everyone healthy in practice...rest up some injuries and get right for 2 weeks from now.

• Like 2

Overall good game, really thought they failed once again to make the half time adjustments after coming out flat in the Q3 (but the MVS drop maybe had more to that than anything).  Really thought Chicago would try to go deep on that last 4th and inches figuring Pack D would sell out on the sneak, but thankful that Mitch tried to outsmart us and not go to the well another time...Hope everyone stays healthy and COVID free and we can make a run in the playoffs, man local bars and hotels have to be hating life with Packers having a good season and they really don't get to take advantage of it 

• Like 2

Talking to a friend today about Gutekunst's 2019 offseason. Hires LaFleur in January (regular season record is 26-3, 11-1 in the NFC North). In March, he signs Amos, P. Smith, Z. Smith and Billy Turner. In April, he drafts Gary, Savage and Jenkins.  Unbelievably successful team-building.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, sho nuff said:

The defense has been frustrating at times, but holding the Bears to 16 points (7+ below its avg) is not bad, especially where 3 points came off the fumble where they started a drive on the Packers' 20 yd line.  Only gave up 3 points in the second half, and that was that long 7 minute drive that ended in a FG where I was thinking - we'll give them that on every possession if they want it.  I'm pretty excited about this defense in the playoffs. The secondary is playing fantastic and I think Snacks will help the front a bit. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Talking to a friend today about Gutekunst's 2019 offseason. Hires LaFleur in January (regular season record is 26-3, 11-1 in the NFC North). In March, he signs Amos, P. Smith, Z. Smith and Billy Turner. In April, he drafts Gary, Savage and Jenkins.  Unbelievably successful team-building.

And maybe we look at this draft this year the same way in a few years.  But what it has done is put to the forefront his next big challenge.  Keeping Rodgers here and happy as long as he is playing well.  But right now...yeah the other moves are quite good.

13 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

The defense has been frustrating at times, but holding the Bears to 16 points (7+ below its avg) is not bad, especially where 3 points came off the fumble where they started a drive on the Packers' 20 yd line.  Only gave up 3 points in the second half, and that was that long 7 minute drive that ended in a FG where I was thinking - we'll give them that on every possession if they want it.  I'm pretty excited about this defense in the playoffs. The secondary is playing fantastic and I think Snacks will help the front a bit. 

No...not bad...just still some frustrating things.  And even the offense has those frustrations (just fewer of them).  Now special teams is always frustrating.

Packers are going to try to get 10k fans at Lambeau for these games.  Its unlikely I'll be able to find one, but am just doing the math this morning as to whether I'd even go or not.  Totally putting aside any health risk (which is a factor), the atmosphere wouldn't be there, limited concessions, largely empty concourse and parking lot, minimal gameday party scene, cold, etc.  I guess I'm old and fat now, but I think I'd probably just opt for the couch.

• Sad 1

Playoff week.  So happy they play the first game on Saturday, not sure I can make it until then.  Much more excited these playoffs than any playoffs I can remember mainly because I feel this team has something special, like it could be the Pack year.  Haven't felt that in a while, even when they were making, and losing NFC championship games.  

• Like 3
On 12/30/2020 at 5:15 PM, CletiusMaximus said:

Maybe Snacks Harrison can give the DL 10-15 good short yardage snaps per game in the playoffs.  I'm not expecting Howard Green production, but he fills a need - an interior run-stuffer who seems to bring a good attitude and obviously lots of experience.

Is he ever going to play?

11 hours ago, Mr.Pack said:

Is he ever going to play?

He played a bit against the Bears and I thought looked like he could be useful. According to McGinn, he only played 3 snaps against the Rams - not a great sign. 

4 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

He played a bit against the Bears and I thought looked like he could be useful. According to McGinn, he only played 3 snaps against the Rams - not a great sign. 

Could sure use him tomorrow. Maybe he'll be our secret weapon tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Been on a bit of a vacation…anything happening with this team?

Seriously pumped up about tomorrow.  While some will worry or stress…this season with a lot of things that have happened both in the NFL, in the world, and just personally…Im sort of in the place like Rodgers is…this whole zen thing he has going on about living in the moment.  Look, will I be bummed if they don’t make it to the Super Bowl…sure.  But, have enjoyed every minute of the season and happy to have a full season of football having been played and now the playoffs getting close to an end.  They are set up pretty well to go toe to toe against anyone.  The offense still clicking big time…defense is frustrating by seems by design…give up yards but keep opponents from scoring a ton of points.

On the serious side…was tough hearing of the passing of Ted Thompson.  Not sure why it hit me as so tough.  Probably hearing Wilde and Tauscher break down a bit when talking about him…and later heard Chmura get quite emotional about him as well.  Was nice reading the outpouring of support from so many players, coaches and executives about him.  And some of it backed up what I had always defended him about…people liked to claim it was all about his ego…those that knew him have all said the exact opposite.  He trusted his process…but it was all about how he thought it best for the Green Bay Packers.

I was one of his biggest defenders early on…took some flack for it too when Favre was traded.  Obviously not nearly as much flack as he took.  So many seemed to really dislike him for what turned out to be a really good decision for the team.  I get the frustrations some had about him not using free agency and sticking with the draft and trusting that…but it churned out a long era of success and highly competitive teams.  As much criticism as he takes for what how he did things…I always compare to Ron Wolf who was almost universally praised and loved.  They both have the same number of Super Bowl titles (yes, a Wolf team also got to a second).  They both presided over bringing in HOF QBs..both brought in team changing free agents (Reggie for Wolf…Woodson for Ted).  And if this current teams goes to the Super Bowl…a big big big part of that is because of Ted.  Rodgers, Bahktiari, Adams, Jones, Linsley, Clark, Crosby…  The guy knew how to scout…that is for sure.  And after a rocky start, his biggest hits seemed to be those Olinemen and 2nd and 3rd round WRs.  Really good at picking those guys  (Adams, Jordy, Cobb, Jennings). 

RIP Ted

• Like 2

Will give my thoughts on offseason needs after I calm down after that disaster but I can confidently say that one player we shouldn’t even offer a contract to is Kevin King. Good bye.

• Like 2
Just now, Balco said:

Will give my thoughts on offseason needs after I calm down after that disaster but I can confidently say that one player we shouldn’t even offer a contract to is Kevin King. Good bye.

Agreed. He was awful today in every way.

2 minutes ago, shady inc said:

As bad as king was and as bad as I think the FG call was, the Pack had the ball down 5 on back to back possessions and went 3 and out both times...

Yes. Where I put a lot of this on LaFleur...got back in the game running the ball with Dillon.  Then abandoned it.

I’m still mad so all I’m going to say is I don’t think I’ll ever forgive Gutey for drafting Love.  You don’t draft for the future when you’re in your championship window.  For the record I wanted Queen or some other D help.  Not sure if it would’ve made a difference but we’ll never know.  All I can say he couldn’t have hurt to have another 1st round talent on the field today.  Big off-season for Gutey and the Pack.

16 minutes ago, Pipes said:

I’m still mad so all I’m going to say is I don’t think I’ll ever forgive Gutey for drafting Love.  You don’t draft for the future when you’re in your championship window.  For the record I wanted Queen or some other D help.  Not sure if it would’ve made a difference but we’ll never know.  All I can say he couldn’t have hurt to have another 1st round talent on the field today.  Big off-season for Gutey and the Pack.

100%

22 minutes ago, Pipes said:

King and Lafleur blew it today, not your GM. Come to grips with it. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, JetMaxx said:

King and Lafleur blew it today, not your GM. Come to grips with it. 

A lot of people blew it today.  Gutey was one of them granted he’s down on the list.

If Rodgers doesn’t demand a trade there still is a small window: 1-2 years tops. But that would require Gute making deals with 1-2 years in mind, and he showed last year he is incapable of that.

this would involve resigning Linsley and Jones. 

1 hour ago, Balco said:

If Rodgers doesn’t demand a trade there still is a small window: 1-2 years tops. But that would require Gute making deals with 1-2 years in mind, and he showed last year he is incapable of that.

this would involve resigning Linsley and Jones. 

With the salary cap much less next year they won't/can't resign Jones.

21 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

With the salary cap much less next year they won't/can't resign Jones.

I think they can with a few moves. 

I am going to put my thoughts down later but releasing Preston Smith is likely and also Rick Wagner. Kevin King had an all time horrendous game but Rick Wagner wasn’t far behind. Despite holding on every single play (I am not kidding watch the game again), he was destroyed by the Bucs D line.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Balco said:

I think they can with a few moves. 

I am going to put my thoughts down later but releasing Preston Smith is likely and also Rick Wagner. Kevin King had an all time horrendous game but Rick Wagner wasn’t far behind. Despite holding on every single play (I am not kidding watch the game again), he was destroyed by the Bucs D line.

Wagner was bad...so was Turner yesterday...actually, will get to that in a sec, the whole Oline was awful in the first half.

A tough loss to take because the game was there for the taking.  Complaints will obviously be had about the last penalty call (and yeah, easy to complain there with how they let that stuff go all game)...but can't let it come down to needing to not have that call made.  The killing blow of this game was that end of the 1st half TD...then the immediate turnover and giving up points in the 2nd half...when they had the ball with time in the first half to do the opposite (get their own score then start the 2nd half with a score).  That was basically it.

First off...coaching...LaFleur probably had his worst game as a coach really.  They came out looking unprepared for the rush and the Dline against the Oline...and he refused to really run the ball almost all game long.  Very few of the short quick passes...not even that much of the bootleg plays either.  I really have no idea what was going on.  They get back in the game late on a nice drive that had Dillon powering through and running hard...did he see the field again after that?  Its as if without Winfield and then another guy got hurt they thought they could just throw throw throw all game.  And it didn't work.  One other play near the goaline...not even sure when it was...but Davante was the only option...thats it...what kind of play is that?  And the decision to kick the FG...ugh.

Pettine...bye bye.  The ineptitude on 3rd down in the first half and giving up the deep ball is just inexcusable with what we have already seen out of his defenses.  I will put a lot on players too...but coaching has to be held responsible when the one thing not to do at the end of the half is have a guy run past you.  And it happens.  

Special teams...again gave up pretty big returns.  Again inept.

Rodgers...no, he didn't play perfect either.  The INT...yeah, the DB held to get position, but the pass out in front a little more and it can't get picked off either.  And his decision before the FG...throws across his body into coverage with a wide open field in front of him to run.  Yeah...he probably doesn't make it into the endzone...but gets close and a bit closer they likely go for it on 4th if he doesn't get in.  Other than the ball falling incomplete, it reminded me of Favre's throw for MN against NO in the playoffs that got picked off.  Field to run, throw back to the middle into coverage.  That was bad.  And he sounded just downright dejected after...he wasn't awful by any means...but also didn't play well enough to win on that day.

WRs...Really not a ton of complaints there...EQ needs to go, sorry, have to catch that 2 point conversion.  MVS actually had a nice game.  Really didn't seem to get them all really going in any rhythm or Tonyan all day long.  And odd with Rodgers numbers to say it...but it never seemed all in sync except the one little stretch in the 3rd/4th quarter.

RBs.  Rough rough day for Jones.  I don't think the game has a thing to do with if he is back or not...obviously that is all numbers and $$$ to see if it happens.  Love the guy...just don't think they will be able to work it out.  Dillon played well and Williams too...really put their day on the coaching to not get the RBs and run game more involved yesterday.

OLine...putrid.  Tackles got whipped left and right...Linsley too a few times up the middle.  First game they really showed how much they missed Bahktiari.  Agree with others that Wagner likely gone.  Id hope they could find a way to keep Linsley...but they have shown over the years to be decent at scouting Centers.

Defense...not good enough.  Had spurts of a little pressure which caused some turnovers...but the mistakes were just too many.  Early game zero pressure and King and Sullivan both getting beat left and right.  That can't happen against Brady.  And King with the inexcusable play at the end of the half.  Corner will be a priority this offseason along with WR.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

Why do people think Rodgers is going to demand a trade? 

Because the loss is fresh...the anger is fresh...because he was frustrated after the game.

I don't see him demanding...nor do I see them giving in.

• Like 2