What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (2 Viewers)

So a Packer fan friend of mine threw this out amongst a circle of very diverse NFL fans. Packer fan,Giants fan,Steelers fan,Patriots fan,Jags fan,Bucs fan. Our reactions were split. Curious as what a majority of Packer Backers might think.

The Rogers situation ends up in a trade. This friend said he would be happy with this scenario:

Rogers to The Niners for Jimmy G. and a #2

What say you all?
Horrible.  The only reason to trade Rodgers is because Love is your guy.  The key part of a Rodgers trade should not be a QB in return

Zero problem with this draft. Night and day better than last years.

I like all of the offensive line picks and am glad that the position was addressed. 

The player I am most intrigued with is TeDarrell Slaton. Desperately need better play from D Line and he looks like he can be a solid rotational player.
Such a 180 from last year.  I like it

So a Packer fan friend of mine threw this out amongst a circle of very diverse NFL fans. Packer fan,Giants fan,Steelers fan,Patriots fan,Jags fan,Bucs fan. Our reactions were split. Curious as what a majority of Packer Backers might think.

The Rogers situation ends up in a trade. This friend said he would be happy with this scenario:

What say you all?
I'd say you all had too much to drink if you think that is enough in return for Rodgers. That's like the one manager in fantasy football who always throws out terrible draft proposals.

What say you all?
No. They should be able to do better if they trade him.  For that, Id play hard ball and let him sit.

So the man won't have anything to do with his family anymore, ran Mike McCarthy out of Green Bay, and now wants to run Gutenkust out of GB as well?

His contract is so high. Can see trade with SF for garrapolo but otherwise? Who wants a headache with 30 plus million contract. No offense to Rodgers. But you ##### and your demands are the exact reason they plan some tomorrow without you. 

Such a big baby. 30+ million in a small market demands first head coach fired, now GM fired. I’d take pennys on the dollar to rid of you. Yes you were MVP. But your demands are terrible and undermined a team building scenario. For all your talent you are selfish. 

Such a big baby. 30+ million in a small market demands first head coach fired, now GM fired. I’d take pennys on the dollar to rid of you. Yes you were MVP. But your demands are terrible and undermined a team building scenario. For all your talent you are selfish. 
Rodgers is such an amazing player but I've never been a fan of him at all as a person.

Horrible.  The only reason to trade Rodgers is because Love is your guy.  The key part of a Rodgers trade should not be a QB in return
The strange thing for me is that I've ready nothing about Love's development all year.  With Rodgers, I remember lots of reports from his first couple years, most of them negative.  I wish someone would ask Gutekunst or LaFleur to comment on how Love looks, now that they've had a full year to see him up close.  Not that I'd expect a completely honest answer, but I want to hear it anyway.

His contract is so high. Can see trade with SF for garrapolo but otherwise? Who wants a headache with 30 plus million contract. No offense to Rodgers. But you ##### and your demands are the exact reason they plan some tomorrow without you. 
I assume he wants 5 years.  The Packers have reportedly offered an extension that he turned down.  I think any team he plays for will have to give him a contract that makes him highest QB paid (for now) for 5 years, huge signing money and over $100m guaranteed.

Id rather see if they would with another player.  With Stokes, Jaire, and having just paid King too...I think another need would be better served.
When Rodgers goes this is a complete rebuild, so need at accumulate talent. I understand Stokes was a first but can never have too many corners. Kings is hot garbage and on a one year deal. Heck I would offer him in the deal to the Broncos.

Trades like this never happen, but it seems just so perfect for both teams.
Well it isn't the same level of star power, but Detroit and LA swapped starting QBs this year. And Wilson has a history in Wisconsin so he might like the trade.  Both would be going to competitive teams.

When Rodgers goes this is a complete rebuild, so need at accumulate talent. I understand Stokes was a first but can never have too many corners. Kings is hot garbage and on a one year deal. Heck I would offer him in the deal to the Broncos.
I wouldn't call it a complete rebuild.  If they trade #12, they'll need a quarterback, whether that's a backup for Jordan Love, a replacement or placeholder for Jordan Love or whatever, but for me its really a one-position rebuild.  That said, I agree cornerback will always have value and I'm sure the Packers would be interested. 

I wouldn't call it a complete rebuild.  If they trade #12, they'll need a quarterback, whether that's a backup for Jordan Love, a replacement or placeholder for Jordan Love or whatever, but for me its really a one-position rebuild.  That said, I agree cornerback will always have value and I'm sure the Packers would be interested. 
Have you watched this team play without Rodgers?   (Rhetorical - I know that you have)

He covers up a LOT of warts.  Presumably we would find a serviceable veteran to start for a year or two.

Losing Rodgers would be a complete rebuild. We should be of mindset you play for championships and losing Rodgers takes us out of that. It can’t be understated how much he means to that offense. Aside from Davonte and Aaron Jones there is no skill position player that would have an even modicum of success on another team. Rodgers makes everyone around him exponentially better.

The thing that makes me mad is why did he choose to leak it now? Why not say after they drafted love (which was the dumbest decision I can recall in recent memory. So I am not absolving Gute for that horrendous draft last year) that he wants out. Then management can focus on how to rebuild. It certainly wouldn’t involve paying an aging (but all pro) tackle $100,000,000. Or re-signing a top running back like Jones.

Disappointed in Rodgers. Best QB I have ever seen - and also the most selfish diva as well.

Have you watched this team play without Rodgers?   (Rhetorical - I know that you have)

He covers up a LOT of warts.  Presumably we would find a serviceable veteran to start for a year or two.
Yeah, I didn't mean they're a great team without Rodgers.  I just wouldn't describe it as a complete rebuild.  They're pretty well set at most position groups.  They need someone better than Brett Hundley to make the playoffs, but I think they could with an average NFL starting QB.

That said, I still consider this all wild speculation on #12.  Lots of it doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, I didn't mean they're a great team without Rodgers.  I just wouldn't describe it as a complete rebuild.  They're pretty well set at most position groups.  They need someone better than Brett Hundley to make the playoffs, but I think they could with an average NFL starting QB.

That said, I still consider this all wild speculation on #12.  Lots of it doesn't make sense to me.
If he leaves, we will quickly find out that this is a 6-10 team at best.

Losing Rodgers would be a complete rebuild. We should be of mindset you play for championships and losing Rodgers takes us out of that. It can’t be understated how much he means to that offense. Aside from Davonte and Aaron Jones there is no skill position player that would have an even modicum of success on another team. Rodgers makes everyone around him exponentially better.

The thing that makes me mad is why did he choose to leak it now? Why not say after they drafted love (which was the dumbest decision I can recall in recent memory. So I am not absolving Gute for that horrendous draft last year) that he wants out. Then management can focus on how to rebuild. It certainly wouldn’t involve paying an aging (but all pro) tackle $100,000,000. Or re-signing a top running back like Jones.

Disappointed in Rodgers. Best QB I have ever seen - and also the most selfish diva as well.
I think patience is the advisable right now.  You may be right, but there's lots of speculation and very few facts.  The team says they've been aware of this for months, so I don't think it affected the draft.  AJ Hawk spent the weekend with AR, and said earlier today the rumors about him wanting Gutekunst gone are "garbage" and that its not about Love or about money/contract.  That doesn't leave much, but maybe there's some truth to the speculation that he's not feeling it in Green Bay and wants a change.  He has a new wife and a massive new house in California. 

I think patience is the advisable right now.  You may be right, but there's lots of speculation and very few facts.  The team says they've been aware of this for months, so I don't think it affected the draft.  AJ Hawk spent the weekend with AR, and said earlier today the rumors about him wanting Gutekunst gone are "garbage" and that its not about Love or about money/contract.  That doesn't leave much, but maybe there's some truth to the speculation that he's not feeling it in Green Bay and wants a change.  He has a new wife and a massive new house in California. 
He can tell AJ Hawk (another horrendous draft pick) whatever he wants. It’s first and foremost about his contract, and then I am sure a little bit of sting about Love being drafted. But definitely about money.

The packers will cave and he will get his long term deal. I’d be all for it if the packers were willing to show they are all in. But they haven’t.

Great post. My thoughts exactly. Both sides are equally at fault here. 

Well it isn't the same level of star power, but Detroit and LA swapped starting QBs this year. And Wilson has a history in Wisconsin so he might like the trade.  Both would be going to competitive teams.
Ya I would say goff/stafford was more one team upgrading their QB so not really the same. 

I agree the trade seems so perfect (sure, make GB throw in some draft picks, that's fine). 

I can't see why either team wouldn't do it. Seattle would probably increase their sb odds, and GB gets a top 5 qb in the league who wants to throw the ball a lot. They'd still be a contender.

I don't think it will happen, but I want it too so badly. 

He can tell AJ Hawk (another horrendous draft pick) whatever he wants. It’s first and foremost about his contract, and then I am sure a little bit of sting about Love being drafted. But definitely about money.

The packers will cave and he will get his long term deal. I’d be all for it if the packers were willing to show they are all in. But they haven’t.

Rodgers has made so much money over his career and he will make a ton more.  I really think this is about control.  With that Love selection a message was sent to Rodgers that he has none. He doesn't like that and now is being a vindictive little #####.  Seeing Tampa add a ton of pieces around Brady I'm sure digs at Rodgers as well even though it's his contract that prevents GB from doing that very thing.  

Hahahahaha.  Aj Hawk.  Amazing.

Rodgers is just trying to do damage control, and find a different narrative now, because when he floated the narrative of “I want Gute fired” (stealthily, via intermediaries, without a direct quote from ARod) people shifted toward the Packers side.   Before that it was “man, the Packers have done Rodgers dirty, can you believe they drafted Love?”   But once Rodgers said that he wanted Gute fired (allegedly), perception turned on him fast.   So now he’s backtracking.   Via good buddy AJ Hawk.

Hahahahaha.  Aj Hawk.  Amazing.

Rodgers is just trying to do damage control, and find a different narrative now, because when he floated the narrative of “I want Gute fired” (stealthily, via intermediaries, without a direct quote from ARod) people shifted toward the Packers side.   Before that it was “man, the Packers have done Rodgers dirty, can you believe they drafted Love?”   But once Rodgers said that he wanted Gute fired (allegedly), perception turned on him fast.   So now he’s backtracking.   Via good buddy AJ Hawk.
Agreed...that was the Tirico leak too...damage control...saying how much he loves GB and the fans.

If you are Murphy right now...you are betting on this:

-Aaron Rodgers..and dealing with possible backlash of letting a player dictate this much.

-Jordan Love and Gutey...and possibly pissing off other players and fanbase.

Backlash being a big part of both...it would be hard for me to bet against Rodgers for Gutey and Love.  Because if it gies bad...he will be gone too.

This doesn’t absolve Rodgers and how he has handled this...pissed at all three at this point (Rodgers, Murphy, and Gutey)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are Murphy right now...you are betting on this:

-Aaron Rodgers..and dealing with possible backlash of letting a player dictate this much.

-Jordan Love and Gutey...and possibly pissing off other players and fanbase.

Backlash being a big part of both...it would be hard for me to bet against Rodgers for Gutey and Love.  Because if it gies bad...he will be gone too.

This doesn’t absolve Rodgers and how he has handled this...pissed at all three at this point (Rodgers, Murphy, and Gutey)
I'm not pissed at any of them.  It just demonstrates how incompetently they've all handled this situation in their own ways.

And now speculation a bit from Jason Wilde that the relationship between Gutey and Lafleur is fractured.

If this is the case...at what point does Murphy realize he is backing the wrong horse?

I wouldn’t care at this point if all 3 were jettisoned. Start fresh. Get the rebuild started a year or two early. 

What teams do we think would be interested? I can think of a few:

Denver

Carolina

Las Vegas

Washington

Giants

I wouldn’t care at this point if all 3 were jettisoned. Start fresh. Get the rebuild started a year or two early. 
Its heading that was most likely anyway as bad as this has gone. 
Only way Murphy and Gutey make it out of this is of Jordan Love is great

What teams do we think would be interested? I can think of a few:

Denver

Carolina

Las Vegas

Washington

Giants
Have to think if it comes to this the Pack would go after Gruden right? He’d give up a massive draft package for the guy. Probably would be one of the biggest overpays in nfl history. 

Now the Browns are in the rumor mix per Twitter dot com. 

Starting to seem like a game of “how many teams morale can we ruin at once?”

just a big soap opera. As the Rodgers turns. 

Have to think if it comes to this the Pack would go after Gruden right? He’d give up a massive draft package for the guy. Probably would be one of the biggest overpays in nfl history. 
I was just talking about Las Vegas as a dark horse - maycock and gruden have no long term plan, I am sure they would give a boatload of assets for Rodgers.

And every team I listed as possible landing spots would be immediate contenders with Rodgers on the roster (except for Vegas). All have excellent weapons as well (except for Vegas) so Rodgers would hit the ground running.

I was just talking about Las Vegas as a dark horse - maycock and gruden have no long term plan, I am sure they would give a boatload of assets for Rodgers.
Gruden and Mayock are completely clueless and desperate which is a dangerous combination. GB could really eat their lunch here, would be pretty funny to see happen. 

And every team I listed as possible landing spots would be immediate contenders with Rodgers on the roster (except for Vegas). All have excellent weapons as well (except for Vegas) so Rodgers would hit the ground running.
He’d have the best TE he’s had in some time (maybe ever) and a handful of not terrible receivers (though not great) and a couple excellent RBs. 

He’d also have a mediocre OL (TBD if improved from last year) and a defense that would ensure he’d be throwing a lot.

And he’d be going to a division with the Chargers, Broncos & Chiefs and a conference with the Bills & Ravens.

To all of it I say, “hey, good luck with that”. 

I don't see many (if any) teams paying a King's ransom for Rodgers. Why should they? GB will either let him retire or take the Best Offer Available, which most teams know they can lowball. GB can either take a lowball offer or get nothing in return.

I don't see many (if any) teams paying a King's ransom for Rodgers. Why should they? GB will either let him retire or take the Best Offer Available, which most teams know they can lowball. GB can either take a lowball offer or get nothing in return.
What? How do you lowball an offer when like 6 teams are making one? Doesn’t even make sense. 

Users who are viewing this thread