What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (3 Viewers)

Man.  I might have to fly down for that.
Once it looked like the Superdome would not be ready...I started looking at regional schedules (Atlanta, TN...) thinking Id try and get to the game.  Of course all the closer ones to me have home games that day.  I never considered Jacksonville though.  Bit too far (hell, its similar to driving up to Green Bay for me without having family to stay at and secure tickets for me.

practice squad is set

DL Abdullah Anderson

QB Kurt Benkert

WR Chris Blair

G Ben Braden

G/T Jacob Capra

CB Kabion Ento 

S Innis Gaines

LB Tipa Galeai

TE Bronson Kaufusi

K JJ Molson

DL Willington Previlon

WR Equanimeous St. Brown

RB Patrick Taylor

T/G Cole Van Lanen

LB Ray Wilborn

WR Juwann Winfree

Happy to see Gaines, Ento, Van Lanen, and Benkert on there.  Good stories and all.

EQ is interesting as I guess an emergency call up with familiarity.

Positives and negatives?

Easy...not sure I saw a single positive.

The defense sucked.  The offense sucked.  The line sucked, the playcalling sucked, Rodgers sucked.

Just an all around crapfest of a game out of that team.  They all looked like they thought they could just toss the ball out there and win.  Like they were too good to even be on the field with that team.  And then Jameis destroyed them.

No pass rush, receivers wide open, poor tackling, open running legs....

Pressure on Rodgers, WRs not open, no places to run.  Awful awful throws by Rodgers.

Completely uninspiring.

Too much talent on this team to lay an egg like that.

The [Packers] defense sucked. 
The scoreboard says so, of course ... but one bright spot (maybe?) has to be shutting down Saints WR Marquez Callaway. I know, it might seem like Callaway is too unproven to talk about holding him to one catch as an accomplishment.

But I am curious about something from a Packer fan perspective. Did Jaire Alexander just totally lock up Callaway all game long? Or do the Packers switch up assignments sometimes?

Positives and negatives?

The defense sucked.  The offense sucked.  The line sucked, the playcalling sucked, Rodgers sucked.

Just an all around crapfest of a game out of that team.  They all looked like they thought they could just toss the ball out there and win.  Like they were too good to even be on the field with that team.  And then Jameis destroyed them.

Pressure on Rodgers, WRs not open, no places to run.  Awful awful throws by Rodgers.

Completely uninspiring.

I know that a lot was made of the tensions between Rodgers and Team Management, but is it possible that the team lacks cohesion, in part due to all the back and forth involving Rodgers all summer? Football remains a team sport and the Packers just did not look like a team.

I’m thinking next week is the perfect get right game. I’ve seen teams get blown out week one and then right the ship the next. 

But if they don’t…Oh boy!

I know that a lot was made of the tensions between Rodgers and Team Management, but is it possible that the team lacks cohesion, in part due to all the back and forth involving Rodgers all summer? Football remains a team sport and the Packers just did not look like a team.
I wonder if the combination of no Bakhtiari and a new center is part of the problem. 

The scoreboard says so, of course ... but one bright spot (maybe?) has to be shutting down Saints WR Marquez Callaway. I know, it might seem like Callaway is too unproven to talk about holding him to one catch as an accomplishment.

But I am curious about something from a Packer fan perspective. Did Jaire Alexander just totally lock up Callaway all game long? Or do the Packers switch up assignments sometimes?
He usually does not follow a WR around.  Seemed Callaway lined up on his side most of the game.  I only recall the one deep ball towards him and Jaire was right there with him.

If they wanted to get Callaway the ball...just put him anywhere near Kevin King.

I think that will be a narrative any time they play poorly.

But I think the players all want to win and he has been there all camp.

I can see there can be a lot of that feeling though.  That Rodgers and Adams and now even Za'Darius Smith are sort of seemingly playing for themselves.  But not sure how much that factors in over the season.

I wonder if the combination of no Bakhtiari and a new center is part of the problem. 
I think the problem I saw with that...was Lafleur.  Knowing you have a rookie center, and rookie RG.  They came out with no intent to establish a running game...and the quick passing game only came in the 2 minute drill.  It was deeper drops and 2 attempted bootlegs where the Saints seemed to know exactly what was coming.

Positives and negatives?

Completely uninspiring.

Here's a positive. For once the special teams wasn't the worst unit in the game. Or even the second worst.

So ZaDarius now on IR.

His attitude has certainly been different this year.  From wanting more money, getting restructured...having them redo it again to give him more upfront....to showing up with this injury.  Now pissed he wasn't picked a captain...but seems he wasn't picked possibly because of his attitude and how he has been.  Then he puts out this instagram thing that he was getting a medallion made of the captains "C" from some jewelry shop.  Just so strange.

Now he gets sent to IR.  Questions around whether he plays another down with GB.  Not sure the front office could have done much more for him.  They paid him well to come here...redid that to give him more up front.  Sure...its clear with the cap numbers he would likely be cut or traded after this year as well.  Not sure he has a case that he was treated bad though.

sho nuff said:
So ZaDarius now on IR.

His attitude has certainly been different this year.  From wanting more money, getting restructured...having them redo it again to give him more upfront....to showing up with this injury.  Now pissed he wasn't picked a captain...but seems he wasn't picked possibly because of his attitude and how he has been.  Then he puts out this instagram thing that he was getting a medallion made of the captains "C" from some jewelry shop.  Just so strange.

Now he gets sent to IR.  Questions around whether he plays another down with GB.  Not sure the front office could have done much more for him.  They paid him well to come here...redid that to give him more up front.  Sure...its clear with the cap numbers he would likely be cut or traded after this year as well.  Not sure he has a case that he was treated bad though.
Well, maybe he doesn’t want to be cut next year.  Maybe that lack of control re his future is frustrating to him.  That wouldn’t be crazy IMO.

Well, maybe he doesn’t want to be cut next year.  Maybe that lack of control re his future is frustrating to him.  That wouldn’t be crazy IMO.
So what is the solution for the Packers or any team?  Fully guaranteed comtracts?

He is 2 years into a rather lucrative deal…which they have then renegotiated to give him even more guaranteed.

Better....but still a work in progress (or at least I hope).

Its a win...so the negative will be at the end because its good to at least celebrate the good.

Rodgers was on last night.  Quicker passes, things rolling through the running game.  He was patient and didn't try to do too much.  The throw dropped in to Adams deep...then passing up the easy wide open Lazard to throw a laser past the LB's earhole to Tonyan for the TD was fantastic.  He was only off...and its a concern after how good he looked supposedly in camp...on the deep shots to MVS.  Had him open several times and just overthrew it.

Smart to run the ball...of course, they get away from it on the 2nd drive and go three and out.  Coverage showed they should just keep running the ball and good to see they did (for the most part).  Jones is a flat out stud and should be used more like that.  Running...receiving...all of it.  You paid the guy to do this...let him do it.  Hope they find his medallion but looks like his dad's ashes will be lost on Lambeau Field.

Tonyan on screens was nice to see...Adams was great...even got Cobb involved.  Need to just hit some of those to MVS to break games open.

OL played well...good to see with the youth on that line and Runyan getting his first start.  Sacks seemed to come when they were again running deeper drop stuff and there was time to go through some progressions.  Can't think of much negative on the OL play.

Defense...ugh.  There is zero pass rush from the front.  Just awful.  To the point LaFleur was even going to Barry and telling him he needed to do something different.

King does suck...I will give him a tiny excuse as Cephus got away with a bit of a push on that first long ball.  And while being held off with one arm on another shot late in the half, King did reach back to break up what would have been a nice one handed catch by Cephus.  But he is still out of position too much.  He just can't cover.  

Stokes showed up in the 2nd half.  Played a lot of snaps...and seemed to be more around receivers in better coverage than King.  Still has a ways to go...but the talent seems to be there.

Jaire...well, as usual not much thrown his way.  He is just that good.

Gary and Smith need to step up...as does Clark.  Clark gets paid way too much to be invisible in games the way he is.  If they are blowing this up after this year...Im not sure his contract as far as cap hits...but would bet he is gone (along with ZaDarius...if Z even makes it through this year on this team).

Overall on D...the dumbest thing I saw was just playing that style coverage as it was.  I get it if you are facing talented WRs...but that was a nobody list of WRs...why play that type of 2 deep look against bad receivers and a decent run game.  Hell, it got to the point they ran a zone read with Jared freaking Goff that went for big yards.    They don't seem to utilize Jaire to his strengths...nor play to the weaknesses of other teams.  Just not sure how anyone can have faith in Barry as a coordinator right now...and that is a reflection on LaFleur who wanted him.

King is absolutely terrible. That push was weak at best. He has got to go. Plus almost no pressure all night long. We will not beat even an average team playing like we did last night. I was confident the D was going to be much better, but so far they are not good. I am hopeful things get better, but who is suddenly going to be a dominant pass rusher? 

Jenkins likely out this weekend with an ankle sprain per Silverstein.  This one feels like it has blowout potential to me.  I'm afraid Shanahan is going to have his way with Barry's defense and there's no way the offense can keep up.  Hope I'm wrong.

I’m wondering if the Packers crash back to Earth against the Niners this week. 

It wasn’t all butterflies & sunshine against DET. 

Niners secondary is a bit thin right now, but their pass rush should still be formidable.

Should be a good game. 

With the Packers highly suspect defense and a banged-up OL, I've got a really bad feeling about this one.
On local radio; one of the dudes (forget who) said you can “take Rodgers out of a game” 

basically hit him a few times in the backfield, get up a couple scores & he’ll quit. 

Not sure if folks agree, but if that’s his reputation now, oof. 

With the Packers highly suspect defense and a banged-up OL, I've got a really bad feeling about this one.
On local radio; one of the dudes (forget who) said you can “take Rodgers out of a game” 

basically hit him a few times in the backfield, get up a couple scores & he’ll quit. 

Not sure if folks agree, but if that’s his reputation now, oof. 

I've been watching the guy play for about 15 years and never seen that side of him. That said, unless something dramatic changes today, I think Shannahan can basically name his score against this defense and I expect to see #12 running for his life all night.  I don't expect a rookie OL getting his first ever start to hold up very well against Bosa. They will start 3 rookies on the OL tonight, and the other 2 are not much to write home about. It could get ugly. I'm still hopeful we get a decent game though.

Edit - I was confused here.  Nijman is not a rookie, but this will be his first NFL start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodgers has a recent history of not overcoming a defense that can get to him.  The interesting thing is that usually coincides with an utter meltdown by the Packers on defense.  It's almost like when Rodgers struggles the defense says: "Hey, don't expect us to win this thing"

I think saying he quits is putting it in the harshest light possible.  That's not what I'd call it, but yeah if SF gets consistent pressure on him and their offense gets up a few scores I would not expect Rodgers to bring them back...at least based on recent history.   

Rodgers has a recent history of not overcoming a defense that can get to him.  The interesting thing is that usually coincides with an utter meltdown by the Packers on defense.  It's almost like when Rodgers struggles the defense says: "Hey, don't expect us to win this thing"

I think saying he quits is putting it in the harshest light possible.  That's not what I'd call it, but yeah if SF gets consistent pressure on him and their offense gets up a few scores I would not expect Rodgers to bring them back...at least based on recent history.   
That’s probably a more fair take. He’s a competitor. But he does tend to sulk. 

Well...that was a fun one.

Starting off...one of the things that just gets forgotten so many times...its so nice to have a kicker they can trust and count on and have had Crosby for so long. There was little doubt he was hitting that if they got it to about 50 yard range.

That last drive...42 yards in 37 seconds...the Bears had something like 46 total yards yesterday BTW. :lmao:

Rodgers was just on...I think watching him...seeing that video of him watching the kick go in...to claim he isn't all in and doesn't care, that should put that BS to bed.

Hard to say anything bad about the Oline last night.  Against the defensive front...to hold up, run block well, and give up one sack.  Credit to them and the game plan.

MVS making some nice plays...great catch and concentration on the TD and finally connected on a long one.

Freaking Davante is just not a normal person.  Not sure how that was not a concussion though.  Adams was cleared to return and said he took most of it in the chest and had some trouble breathing right after.  How anyone misses that flag...ouch.

Aaron Jones is a special RB and Im glad they found a way to keep him last year.  Its clear he isn't just another guy type RB.

Defensively...better...still some questions.  But good to see Kenny Clark step up and make noise up front.    They held up against the run...they got pressure.

The negative to that...injury forcing Ty Summers into the game...he left the middle of the field open often while he was in there.  He just isn't a good LB.  Continuing to put Sullivan on Kittle basically one on one.

Special teams had been holding up so far...until right before the half.  Ugh.  Dominating that game and give up that big return just left a pit in my stomach.  Then how they miss what appeared to be grounding which gave SF that 4th down shot from the 2 rather than the 12.  Knowing they got the kickoff to start the half...gave me a bad feeling.

Refereeing in this league is bad.  GB benefitted from some questionable PI calls...but got dinged on a very questionable one late (as well as a bogus roughing the passer again)....and missing that shot to Davante's head.  Awful.

Coaching...mostly positive.  My question whether it was coaching or Rodgers.  3 point lead and they go 3 straight deep balls incomplete and punt?  Get bailed out when Clark gets pressure and Jimmy G fumbles.  But still.  That was awful.  Again...playcall or Rodgers on that early 4th down attempt.  Timing off due to the snap coming that close to the motion man?  Who knows. But it was awful.

Positive coaching...did they "let them score"?  As soon as Juszczyk caught it I sort of said to my son...just let him score.  Did they have that in their minds of...hey if they get that close don't tackle him at the one.

Anyway...solid win.  Get healthy...get Jenkins back, get Barnes back (I think he had a concussion).  But seems clear they are very thin at ILB.

Tonyan!!!

Just key in on that block...very nice.

I was also reminded of a few things listening to some radio today.

If Rodgers/Adams/Crosby don't get it done in 37 seconds...everyone would be all over the D giving up the lead.  Odd though, that the offense would not have taken some blame.  Both for the 3 and out with 3 straight deep balls.  But after that series I believe is when the D got the turnover.  And instead of putting it away the offense settled for 3 points.   

Glad they got it done...but had they not...I think it would have been wrong to just blame the defense giving it up.  The D got a pretty big turnover on pressuring Jimmy G...before they then didn't get it done up 6.

So I just returned home from a 14 day Wisconsin trip and as I reflect over this awesome trip there is one particular night that stands out in my mind...

…we were on our way north to Bayfield when we stopped for a one nighter at a B&B in Wausau. The Innkeeper directed us to a distillery 2 blocks away, Timekeeper, a converted old train depot to top notch drinking establishment famed for their craft cocktails.

We saddled up to the bar and there was only one other fella sitting there and he was on his way to total inebriation. As I went through my emails he conversed with us and told some jokes, he was very gregarious. After an hour of banter he put his credit card on the bar. I mentioned we were going to the Packers game on Monday night. This is when it got interesting.

"You a Packers fan?"

"Nah, I like the fish. But I am an NFL fan and the very first game I saw on a color tv was SB #1. My Dad brought me to a friend's house when I was 8 years old to see the game. I've always wanted to attend a game in Lambeau."

He laughed and flipped his CC over so I could see the name on it. "NOOOOO ####### WAY!!!!" I exclaimed.

JOHN NITSCHKE.

"I'm his eldest son."

"I was adopted. That's why I'm not huge."

We shot the #### with him for 2 more hours. He told us stories of growing up in the locker room with the glory teams, being on the set of The Longest Yard, his mother dancing with Burt Reynolds. But his best story was this one,

"When my parents died I inherited alot of dough. Hell, I even sold my Dad's first GB contract for $40K! It was written for $30K. My Dad worked his butt off for a mere $30K and I sold the paper for more than he was paid!"

As we walked back to the B&B I wondered if he was FOS and was just a distant cousin or something with the name. But I wiki'd him and he was legit. 

I did buy the man who never has to pay for a cocktail in Wisconsin a Wisconsin Old Fashioned and it was my pleasure!

So I just returned home from a 14 day Wisconsin trip and as I reflect over this awesome trip there is one particular night that stands out in my mind...

…we were on our way north to Bayfield when we stopped for a one nighter at a B&B in Wausau. The Innkeeper directed us to a distillery 2 blocks away, Timekeeper, a converted old train depot to top notch drinking establishment famed for their craft cocktails.

We saddled up to the bar and there was only one other fella sitting there and he was on his way to total inebriation. As I went through my emails he conversed with us and told some jokes, he was very gregarious. After an hour of banter he put his credit card on the bar. I mentioned we were going to the Packers game on Monday night. This is when it got interesting.

"You a Packers fan?"

"Nah, I like the fish. But I am an NFL fan and the very first game I saw on a color tv was SB #1. My Dad brought me to a friend's house when I was 8 years old to see the game. I've always wanted to attend a game in Lambeau."

He laughed and flipped his CC over so I could see the name on it. "NOOOOO ####### WAY!!!!" I exclaimed.

JOHN NITSCHKE.

"I'm his eldest son."

"I was adopted. That's why I'm not huge."

We shot the #### with him for 2 more hours. He told us stories of growing up in the locker room with the glory teams, being on the set of The Longest Yard, his mother dancing with Burt Reynolds. But his best story was this one,

"When my parents died I inherited alot of dough. Hell, I even sold my Dad's first GB contract for $40K! It was written for $30K. My Dad worked his butt off for a mere $30K and I sold the paper for more than he was paid!"

As we walked back to the B&B I wondered if he was FOS and was just a distant cousin or something with the name. But I wiki'd him and he was legit. 

I did buy the man who never has to pay for a cocktail in Wisconsin a Wisconsin Old Fashioned and it was my pleasure!

That's an awesome story.   :thumbup:

Another nice win.

A little testy with that first drive...then the blocked FG (after the game winner was almost blocked last week).

Have no idea if they were offsides or not...sort of have to defer to the guy who was looking straight down the line and made the call when we never got a view to see it.  How we still don't have down the line or down the goal line views for plays near the goalline or whatever...I have no idea.  

Positives...again the OL.  Credit to the young guys as well as the coaching staff getting them ready and giving a game plan to have them be successful.

Randall Cobb?  He looked quick and solid yesterday.  Definitely did not see that coming.   Big catches on 3rd down and a little wiggle to get open and get to the endzone.

Defense stepped up too...especially after the Jaire injury.  Stokes is not perfect, but he is getting better and definitely been an upgrade over King.  He typically is at least with the WR rather than trailing by 5 yards or playing so far off the WR.

Gary and Clark have seemingly stepped up and started getting some push there and Keke with the big play on the strip of Big Ben.

Also...yeah why not talk about the punter...the new kid has a pretty damn good leg.

Negatives...giving up that first drive...Jaire got beat a few times yesterday.  And the other negative is just how long we will be without him.  Great tackle...but that did not look good.  Hoping its a pretty mild AC injury but he looked to be in big time pain.  I guess it sounds better than a broken collarbone.

My other issue...just seem to not be able to just close things out on offense.  We get up...then seem to have several drives stall late after good starts to the drive.  Whether its Rodgers missing a wide open Tonyan or things like Cobb and Adams in the same area and Cobb trying to make a jumping catch right in front of Adams...  Against a good team they cannot get away with constantly stalling on late drives.

Defensive coaching better step up to deal with the Bengals WRs without Jaire.

Reports of Jaylon Smith signing with the Packers on Thursday. Hope they are true. Would be a big add to the LB room.

Also happy to read they were in on a trade for Gilmore. Too bad they couldn't make it work with the salary cap. Front office isn't just sitting back though.

Reports of Jaylon Smith signing with the Packers on Thursday. Hope they are true. Would be a big add to the LB room.

Also happy to read they were in on a trade for Gilmore. Too bad they couldn't make it work with the salary cap. Front office isn't just sitting back though.
At first it was a typical Packers day.  Flirt with another guys chick (Gilmore) only to see her leave the party with a different guy…then settle at last call (as they signed some corner from AZ’s practice squad)

He has been a decent player.  I think it came down to money with Dallas...had an injury guarantee for his next year's salary if something happened this year?

Nice add...certainly not expecting a huge impact...but has to be better than Ty Summers and Oren Burks to go along with DeVondre Campbell.  And at the vet minimum?

Would rather have Gilmore...but this is not a bad move at all.  Still need OLB help

KingPrawn said:

Kind of cool for me as a Packer fan - he went to the same small HS as my wife and stepdaughter did, although he graduated a couple years before my stepdaughter got there.

This seems like a pretty good deal for the Packers.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

From NFL Now: The #Packers agreed to terms with LB Jaylon Smith, who will make $770K this season for GB but make all of his $7.2M overall salary mostly from Dallas. His new head coach is a big reason why he picked GB.

This seems like a pretty good deal for the Packers.
Definitely little to no risk and means they still have some room to go after someone else before the deadline (or absorb other injuries that require a move).

Guessing they are not completely done looking for help at pass rush or secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread