Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Really sucks that ILB/OLB was our weakest position and that's where the injury hits.  By all accounts it was a pretty bad linebacker draft so I'm glad they didn't reach for someone just to get another rusher. We all just need to hope this is the one and only big injury this preseason.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thoughts on the game... First off Mack is really good and it sucks we had a shot at him and he ended up with the Bears.  Definitely changed the game plan for the team.  It should have changed qui

Breaking news, Clay Matthews just got flagged for roughing the passer in the Bills game. The penalty will be assessed on the opening kickoff.

I just wanted to share a story for all you Packers fans.   I'm from Aaron Rodgers hometown and went to the same high school.  He's regularly helped with paying for kids uniforms etc and this year both

While Ryan is JAG it still sucks having guys go down to serious injuries the first few days of camp.  That's some lost depth now and more reps for other guys and more of a chance for those guys to get hurt. Ever since Jordy went down a few years ago I hate training camp and preseason with a passion.  I know it's a necessary evil but I just keep my fingers crossed and hope they make it through unscathed. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Pipes said:

While Ryan is JAG it still sucks having guys go down to serious injuries the first few days of camp.  That's some lost depth now and more reps for other guys and more of a chance for those guys to get hurt. Ever since Jordy went down a few years ago I hate training camp and preseason with a passion.  I know it's a necessary evil but I just keep my fingers crossed and hope they make it through unscathed. 

This injury may be the final nail in his coffin. I never was a huge fan. I liked the potential but he wasn't taking the steps necessary to ease concerns about his play and the position. Seemed hurt an awful lot. Granted, this seems to be a fluke injury but still, the guy really hasn't lived up to the potential.

Next guy up. Thankful it's happening early if it's going to happen so we can have more time to groom the next guy, bring someone in, or make adjustments. 

The Packers quarterback went off on Tuesday regarding the effort of his team’s younger receivers during one specific period during the team’s practice.

“I think it was one of the worst carded sessions we’ve had,” Rodgers said. “I don’t know how you can make it simpler. You literally have what the play would be in our terminology of the card. And the effort level was very low, especially what I’m accustomed to, having run that period for a number of years. It’s not a good start for us on the carded period for the young guys. I think [DeAngelo] Yancey has really progressed, [Geronimo Allison], obviously 16 [Jake Kumerow]. But everybody else was piss poor.”

It’s a surprising degree of candor from Rodgers, who clearly was disappointed in the team’s decision to dump receiver Jordy Nelson during the offseason. Rodgers also has expressed a certain degree of frustration regarding the fact that his contract extension wasn’t finalized before the start of training camp, and it’s possible that he now has a somewhat shorter fuse than maybe he’s had in the past.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Packers react to the uncharacteristic decision of Rodgers to call them out publicly, and whether this is the start of a new trend for Rodgers as he tries to get the most out of the players around him.

I realize it is early, but still surprised to see Jamaal Williams atop the RB depth chart. Aaron Jones hasn't been on field enough to be a contender but I expected Montgomery would get this honor. It looks like a battle between Williams and Montgomery at this point.

https://fox11online.com/sports/packers-and-nfl/packers-release-depth-chart-hundley-listed-ahead-of-kizer

1 minute ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Rodgers always speaks with a purpose.

What I don’t get is the rookies’ attitudes that they need to be called out by Rodgers.  You’re getting a chance to make a living as a NFL player, working with the best QB in the league no less, and you aren’t doing everything in your power and beyond to earn that spot, that the QB feels the need to publicly apply a spanking? What gives?

13 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

What I don’t get is the rookies’ attitudes that they need to be called out by Rodgers.  You’re getting a chance to make a living as a NFL player, working with the best QB in the league no less, and you aren’t doing everything in your power and beyond to earn that spot, that the QB feels the need to publicly apply a spanking? What gives?

Millennials.  

Remember when camp opened with two a days right after the fourth of July?  When almost all practices were padded and full contact?  When there were six preseason games?  When positions were won and when will and team execution were forged?  These young guys come from a culture of being coddled.   They need to wake up, and right now.  Jerry Glanville was an ### but he was right, NFL stands for Not For Long, at least if you do not give effort and concentration all the time. (A few exceptions aside)

Rodgers does not have enough years left to waste them coddling W.R.'s who don't want to sacrifice.  His clock is ticking and he knows it, now they do to.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Millennials.  

Remember when camp opened with two a days right after the fourth of July?  When almost all practices were padded and full contact?  When there were six preseason games?  When positions were won and when will and team execution were forged?  These young guys come from a culture of being coddled.   They need to wake up, and right now.  Jerry Glanville was an ### but he was right, NFL stands for Not For Long, at least if you do not give effort and concentration all the time. (A few exceptions aside)

Rodgers does not have enough years left to waste them coddling W.R.'s who don't want to sacrifice.  His clock is ticking and he knows it, now they do to.

Spot on.  

Observations from first preseason game.

Yeah...hard to take much out of a lot of things...but just some thoughts.

Hundley first.  While he looked more comfortable and looked good early and on that deep ball to Adams...the strip sack (where his OL got the ball back) and then pressure forcing the INT were the typical things we saw last year.  He would look good for a stretch moving the ball and just mistakes stall a drive or end in a turnover.  Improved...probably.  Worth keeping?  I don't know. His escapability was nice

Kizer...thought it was good...not great.  Made some nice throws as well and can move.  Is the potential there worth not having the experience?

Boyle...of course the talk is of him with the late deep ball and all of that.  First few drives the accuracy was average at best.  He did fight and throws a pretty nice ball.  Definitely earned at least a PS spot somewhere in the league.

WRs...Adams...man, went up against Butler, had him beat, ball a touch underthrown.  The move he made though, staying inside as long as he could with Butler closing in, then breaking outside to get the ball was really good.  If he does not take shots to the head, man what a year he should have.

Eq St. Brown looked pretty good. Good hands and burst.  I think a play to him early in the game from Hundley was a bright spot for Hundley.  Fit it in tight window to the left with good zip and Brown made the catch.

J'mon I thought had a poor night. Missed on a big chance on a deep ball that was very well thrown.  Also as big as he is, going up for balls he didn't squeeze it and allowed the DB to recover to knock it loose. Potential is there, but other guys were making plays.

ESV...nice big play potential and he did what Moore couldn't on a TD over a DB.  DB had his hand in between the ball and receiver but he held on through the catch and going to the ground.  And then several big plays as well, kid had a nice night.

Kumerow has been the talk of camp.  We see why, special teams guy too, and can stretch at least the 4th string D.  A lot of potential there. 

The rest...Williams looked pretty good at RB...nothing special out of the Line or TEs.

D...who knows.  other than Rollins made big mistakes and it concerns me that he was basically the only guy returning punts.

• Like 1

Missed the game.  I would have liked to see the jerseys I love so well out on the field.  Sounds like they got their work in and appear, for now, to have escaped without serious injury which is all that matters.  Seems maybe we have several prospects for W.R. #3 and 4, which is nice.  Seems Hundley and Kizer are recovering from being shell-shocked, which is good.  Who knows, maybe someday Kizer can get an endorsement for Kaiser Rolls.  Stay healthy Pack!

25 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

I am watching the replay of their game against the Titans now. I noticed that Ty Montgomery was the starting RB, how likely is he to hold onto that role?

Williams seemed to get more of the earlier work though...and I think Jones will as well.

I don't see this as a great FF situation.  3 headed committee with no clear defined roles at this point...with Graham around and the size at WR (outside of Cobb)...how much work near the GL will the backs get?

If they keep falling Id take a flier on Jones or Williams maybe...but have a feeling they will go earlier than my taste.  Im avoiding.

Edited by sho nuff
  • Like 1

I know all this Mack talk is a waste of time (OAK isn't letting their best player go) but if it came to compensation ... I agree with one of the articles lately that a 1st rounder + Clay Matthews would get it done.  You're basically swapping cap hits this year ($13M vs $11M) but locking up five years of elite pass-rushing during Rodger's final years.  Gruden gets the overpaid/over-the-hill veterens that he seems to love.  Everyone wins!

And Packers would still have a 1st rounder next year, since they have two.

The price seems steep but I'd pay it.

Edited by Phenomena
  • Like 1
On 8/16/2018 at 0:11 PM, Phenomena said:

I know all this Mack talk is a waste of time (OAK isn't letting their best player go) but if it came to compensation ... I agree with one of the articles lately that a 1st rounder + Clay Matthews would get it done.  You're basically swapping cap hits this year ($13M vs $11M) but locking up five years of elite pass-rushing during Rodger's final years.  Gruden gets the overpaid/over-the-hill veterens that he seems to love.  Everyone wins!

And Packers would still have a 1st rounder next year, since they have two.

The price seems steep but I'd pay it.

Id definitely pay that for Mack.

As for the game the other night.

KUMEROW!!!  How can someone not root for this guy right now?

Nice seeing Tramon and Jackson jumping those routes...HaHa and Brice need tackling work and that is particularly concerning for HaHa right now.  Gilbert is a beast...and why Fackrell keeps getting the nod over him going back to last year is strange from the outside looking in.

TEs got some work done...and all the QBs smartly putting it high for those big guys in mismatches.  Is that Philbin working to get those mismatches where McCarthy didn't always play them like that?

Davante is damn good...just got to keep him from missing concussion time.

We are going to cut some good WR talent...Allison should not be kept due to being a veteran.  He doesn't have the upside of Kumerow or St James.

While Hundley looks better and more comfortable...its hard to get past last year with him.  Will be interesting seeing if they keep 3QBs this year...obviously going to depend on the numbers elsewhere with talent at TE and WR.

Getting this odd itch at the back of my neck after seeing Boyle play this preseason.  Yeah, I know his college stats were awful - some interesting reads on his journey through college - and that he’s up against future Walmart greeters a lot, but the kid has a legit arm and supposedly is smart as hell when it comes to football IQ.  We’ve seen Hundley and Kizer vs live bullets and neither guy has looked like they belong on a roster in those situations.

In any case, it’s probably nothing - but still there’s that odd itch...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Chicago Hooligan said:

Eh, the extent of this is Mike Lombardi claiming "I know his name's being shopped around" on some podcast? I guess we'll see.

Kumerow's family is from around here. His great grandfather was one of the biggest Chicago mobsters ever.

"Joe Batters" :gang2: Interesting. Also a relation to Joey and Nick Bosa.

Tell you who is awesome, that punter. I can’t remember when our punter could destroy the ball like this kid. He’s drilling 50+ yarders that can’t be returned, cause of so much hang time. Definitely one pick I like a lot more after seeing him in action. 

Alexander looks like he’s going to be pretty damn good as well. 

Edited by The Claymaker
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, The Claymaker said:

Tell you who is awesome, that punter. I can’t remember when our punter could destroy the ball like this kid. He’s drilling 50+ yarders that can’t be returned, cause of so much hang time. Definitely one pick I like a lot more after seeing him in action. 

Alexander looks like he’s going to be pretty damn good as well. 

agree

that's a far cry from this post from a different poster. 

7 hours ago, TDCommish said:

Cut all QBs not named Aaron Rodgers and hold an open competition for backup QB at Lambeau next week.

To be fair to Hundley and Kizer, the 2nd string O-line looks terrible

Pipkins traded to the Colts for Antonio Morrison.  3rd year LB had a lot of tackles last year.

4th rounder in 2016 and started 15 games last year.  After losing Ryan and Burke dislocated his shoulder they needed a move and here it is.

56 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

Pipkins was likely to get cut anyway. Not really impressed by what I read on Morrison but its essentially a free look

Seemed he was a scheme casualty there changing to the 4-3.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Seemed he was a scheme casualty there changing to the 4-3.

Doesn't seem to bode well for the status of Burks shoulder injury though. I dont think the ILB position is settled yet. Fully expect them to be monitoring the cuts of other teams

4 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

Doesn't seem to bode well for the status of Burks shoulder injury though. I dont think the ILB position is settled yet. Fully expect them to be monitoring the cuts of other teams

Yeah...I agree on that and like Burks potential. Hopefully it’s only a few weeks.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:45 PM, KingPrawn said:

Burks’ shoulder sounds like a pretty minor issue.  I see the Morrison signing as nothing more than depth.  Morrison is a complete liability in coverage (in other words pretty close to Ryan).  I’m hoping Burks is back for a week 1 start.

Edited by Bronco Billy
On 8/24/2018 at 10:57 PM, Dr. Dan said:

agree

that's a far cry from this post from a different poster. 

Regardless of how he performs this year, I stand by every comment I've made about drafting a punter. 

It's like taking a QB in the 5th round in fantasy drafts. Can it work out? Sure. But when it does work out, you're still getting almost no value on the pick. And when it doesn't work out - you just signed a guaranteed contract for a punter you're not even using (see the Jag's punter pick two years ago).

Edited by Phenomena
1 hour ago, shady inc said:

Hundley traded to seattle

I will be curious to find out what they got. I was expecting this as a strong possibility after they traded for Kizer. I would have rather kept both around and evaluate how each develops a little longer. You had two backups who both had received a fair amount of real game experience.