What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Dallas Goedert, PHI (3 Viewers)

Bojang0301

Omar4Heisman
6'5 256 

6.87 3 Cone

35 Vert

10-1 Broad

College Stats

Pro Day

Not sure I've been as impressed by workout numbers without a 40 time. Everyone can continue to talk about Gesicki, guy is going to be a monster.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m surprised he didn’t have a tread. NE has been interviewing him and that says a lot. I can’t decide between the big 3, I keep switching back and forth between who I want to take with that 1.6/1.7 pick. 

Tex

I’m surprised he didn’t have a tread. NE has been interviewing him and that says a lot. I can’t decide between the big 3, I keep switching back and forth between who I want to take with that 1.6/1.7 pick. 

Tex
Do you play in TE premium leagues or you like them that much?

Tex
Does it? They have been trying find a second TE for years and with Gronkowski’s uncertainty, it makes sense they would be open to drafting a TE.  

Appreciate you starting a thread on him. I have a late first in a TE premium and figure Gesicki will go before me so I need to read up on him. 

Goedert feels like a much better prospect than Gesicki in my opinion. Gesicki has a bit of the old looks like Tarzan plays like Jane cliche to him, ala Coby Fleener.

Goedert looks like a can't miss TE to me. He wins both before and after the catch. He averaged over 8 YAC last year, which is amazing. He also had some of his best work against FBS teams.

I think he's a better prospect than Evan Engram or David Njoku were. Not quite in OJ Howard's range, but will likely end up in a better situation. 

Goedert feels like a much better prospect than Gesicki in my opinion. Gesicki has a bit of the old looks like Tarzan plays like Jane cliche to him, ala Coby Fleener.

Goedert looks like a can't miss TE to me. He wins both before and after the catch. He averaged over 8 YAC last year, which is amazing. He also had some of his best work against FBS teams.

I think he's a better prospect than Evan Engram or David Njoku were. Not quite in OJ Howard's range, but will likely end up in a better situation. 
He is ofcourse playing much tougher competition that Goedert.

Njoku was a beter prospect than either IMO. Njoku averaged 11 YAC at Miami.

Hurst and Goedert are the two best TE's in this class by a country mile.
Why Hurst? He isn't the super athletic, he was just average in terms of production and that is as a 24 year old.  Gesicki is 22, Goeder is 23. Hell, Njoku is still 21. 

Why Hurst? He isn't the super athletic, he was just average in terms of production and that is as a 24 year old.  Gesicki is 22, Goeder is 23. Hell, Njoku is still 21. 
Hurst will turn 25 during the season I believe. I’ve heard some defend it as if he will skip over traditional TE development. Guy is super old for a prospect and I think it’s a black mark for him.

Probably should have specified I meant in real NFL. Still they are my top 2 fantasy TE's now, but if Gesicki ended up in New Orleans you can be sure I'll sing a different tune.

In terms of real NFL some believe Hurst is only true two way TE in this draft, only one who can block and catch at a high level.  Blocking won't help your fantasy team but I like what I see from him as a receiver. Great hands, I think one drop in his career, very versatile in the game video's I watched, moved him around a bit. I think he tested fine athletically and for TE's I've always thought testing was vastly overrated. Look up testing numbers from a lot of the top TE's, and I mean the TE's who don't play more as slot WR's, and it's not that great. It's a positoin I think having a feel for soft spots in the zone and sudden short area quickness is more critical then 40 or verticals.

Production I thought was really good myself, just not much TD's.

Age is biggest issue for me and for sure a negative. But 1-2 years older than Gates and Graham, guys who spent some early years concentrating on other sports. Not a positive but not a deal breaker.

Gesicki is someone whose game I don't like. More athlete than football player to me, but a great athlete. He's going to need a team to use him like Saints did Graham, Jordan Reed, Engram, that breed. More WR than TE and more athlete than football player. Very situation dependent for me, Saints being the most ideal position for any TE but especially for him.

That’s all fair, I just think being 24 gave HH a huge advantage in blocking. He’s mostly pushing around inferior athletes that are 2-5 years younger than him. There’s a big difference in the body between 18-20-22-24. 

6'5 256 

6.87 3 Cone

35 Vert

10-1 Broad

College Stats

Pro Day

Not sure I've been as impressed by workout numbers without a 40 time. Everyone can continue to talk about Gesicki, guy is going to be a monster.
So, the second coming of Tony Scheffler or Jordan Cameron!

Actually I like Goedert a lot. Could be a freak. Would love to draft him, but with the 1.03 and 2.04 in the draft in TE premium (and slim prospects of trading for anything in between), it's highly doubtful I will. I think Carolina would be the ideal spot, where both he and Cam could play far above the rim.

So, the second coming of Tony Scheffler or Jordan Cameron!

Actually I like Goedert a lot. Could be a freak. Would love to draft him, but with the 1.03 and 2.04 in the draft in TE premium (and slim prospects of trading for anything in between), it's highly doubtful I will. I think Carolina would be the ideal spot, where both he and Cam could play far above the rim.
I like Gesicki and Goedert for what it’s worth. I’m surprised at how far down he’s gone though. Now Hayden Hurst is being talked about over him. I’m sure people are looking at Shaheen and Everett from last year too and thinking the guy is going to end up more of a project than advertised.

NFLDraftScout senior analysts Rob Rang and Dane Brugler list South Dakota State TE Dallas Goedert as the top non-FBS prospect eligible for the 2018 NFL Draft.

Goedert ranks 41st overall in the rankings, which puts him slightly outside of a first-round grade. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound tight end is considered one of the best receiving prospects in the class, regardless of position. "Goedert is a big, physical athlete with the body control and footwork of a much smaller player," they write. "Despite all of his experience having been at the FCS level, Goedert has the physical skill-set, dependable ball skills and motivated make-up to develop into a starting NFL tight end. He has Pro Bowls in his future." 

Feb 16 - 9:24 PM

Source: NFL Draft Scout

NFL.com Analyst Bucky Brooks ranks South Dakota State TE Dallas Goedert as the top tight end in the 2018 NFL Draft class.

Goedert ranks at the top ahead of South Carolina's Hayden Hurst, Oklahoma's Mark Andrews, Penn State's Mike Gesicki and Wisconsin's Troy Fumagalli. We've seen the tight end class vary in rankings over the past few weeks, but Brooks goes with the former FCS star to headline the group. "Goedert is a long, rangy playmaker capable of playing "above the rim" in the red zone," he writes. He currently is seen as a late-first, early-second round pick at this point.

Source: NFL.com 

Feb 9 - 8:17 PM

NFL Draft Scout's Dane Brugler compared South Dakota State senior TE Dallas Goedert to Cowboys TE Jason Witten.

Brugler writes that Goedert "uses route quickness and reliable ball skills to be a dangerous target" and possesses "soft hands to attack the ball away from his body, regardless if wide open or stuck in traffic." In seven games this season, he's working to a 33-587-3 receiving line. Goedert (6'5/250) should be viewed in the same light as Wisconsin's Troy Fumagali and Penn State's Mike Gesicki.

Source: NFL Draft Scout 

Fri, Oct 27, 2017 05:04:00 PM

ESPN's Todd McShay says South Dakota State senior TE Dallas Goedert is a "fearless route runner, especially working over the middle."

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound Goedert caught 92 balls for 1,293 yards (14.1 YPC) and 11 touchdowns last year. He logged 11 receptions for 132 yards and a score on Saturday in a 31-27 win over Montana State. Not only productive, Goedert is a strong athlete who vertical jumps 36 inches, broad-jumps 9’9 ½", runs the 40 in 4.65, power cleans 380 and benches 380.

Source: ESPN

Fri, Sep 15, 2017 11:46:00 AM

They're not even close as prospects......but you like the right guy more. 
They're closer than I think you're leading on.  Goedert has better blocking overall and can do a little more in probably all facets but it's very similar to OJ Howard vs Engram in my mind.  Not quite at that level though.  Engram couldn't block at all and is more WR than anything else, while OJ had a more complete package deal coming out.  Same with Goedert vs Gesicki.  I think landing spot reveals a lot of what they'll be used as.  Engram landed perfectly that they didn't need to use him as a blocker and OJ was a little bit of everything.  Both holding their value, if not improving on it.  

They're closer than I think you're leading on.  Goedert has better blocking overall and can do a little more in probably all facets but it's very similar to OJ Howard vs Engram in my mind.  Not quite at that level though.  Engram couldn't block at all and is more WR than anything else, while OJ had a more complete package deal coming out.  Same with Goedert vs Gesicki.  I think landing spot reveals a lot of what they'll be used as.  Engram landed perfectly that they didn't need to use him as a blocker and OJ was a little bit of everything.  Both holding their value, if not improving on it.  
Gesicki is a volleyball player playing football. His amazing athleticism never shows up on tape. Goedert is the next Gronk. 

Gesicki is a volleyball player playing football. His amazing athleticism never shows up on tape. Goedert is the next Gronk. 
:confused:  he got 21.5% of Penn States offense throughout his career. Against the Big Ten. He looks like George Kittle if Kittle hadn’t been in a class with Njoku, Howard and Engram.

:confused:  he got 21.5% of Penn States offense throughout his career. Against the Big Ten. He looks like George Kittle if Kittle hadn’t been in a class with Njoku, Howard and Engram.
Don't like him brother. I saw the combine numbers got excited. Went to the tape........meh. Draft at your own risk. I'll pass. 

Don't like him brother. I saw the combine numbers got excited. Went to the tape........meh. Draft at your own risk. I'll pass. 
I would like him more if he got Kittle’s draft stock and people ignored him in the same fashion. Thinking about ponying up a first for a position that typically takes three years to develop on a prospect that was considered quite raw before the combine is not my cup of tea, no matter how athletic. 

This makes no sense.

He had 1200 yards and 14 TDs over the last 2 years. He also had zero drops.  What exactly isn't showing up? How is he not a football player?

This makes no sense.

He had 1200 yards and 14 TDs over the last 2 years. He also had zero drops.  What exactly isn't showing up? How is he not a football player?
I don't know where you are getting the zero drops thing from. He's among the leaders at TE in drops. He had 14 in the last 3 years, though more than half were in 2015. 

Gesicki excels at using his body to make contested catches. His problems, are dropping easy passes(which again he has shown improvement at) general route running, where he's among the worst at in this year's class, whether that is a reflection of him, or how Penn State used him is up for debate, but there isn't much of a varied route tree at all, and really the seam route is the only one that he does well, where his athletic gifts shine. He's also a liability as a blocker in the run game. 

He really looks like another Coby Fleener to me, but less NFL ready. He's certainly an NFL caliber player, but I'm not sure his athletic prowess with translate to production. He's not a top-5 TE in this class in my opinion, because I can easily envision him busting, but he's certainly got upside. That said, if I were running a team, he's probably a 4th rounder on my board. 

I don't know where you are getting the zero drops thing from. He's among the leaders at TE in drops. He had 14 in the last 3 years, though more than half were in 2015. 
See at the bottom

Uses length and springs to create rare catch radius. Makes in-air adjustments to the ball and is in optimal position to pull it in when it gets there. Hasn't had a legitimate pass drop in two years

Furthermore, they remarked that route running was a strength, able to run complex routes. 

:shrug:

ETA -- Another link discussing route running as a strength.

And there are others saying the same thing. Interesting you said his route running is one of the worst in this class but plenty are saying the exact opposite.

One more edit

No drops his final 2 years with 105 catches

This makes no sense.

What's not showing up is wow plays. I want to say wow. I didn't say wow watching him play one time. I've been wrong before so maybe I'm wrong. He won't be on any of my teams at his current ADP. 

Appreciate you starting a thread on him. I have a late first in a TE premium and figure Gesicki will go before me so I need to read up on him. 
I see Goedert being the better of the two simple because Gelsicki couldn't block a Safety to save his life if he had too. Gelsicki looks more like a situational guy and won't get as much playing time. I also read and saw some games where he dropped very catchable passes. Like someone else said he's Coby Fleener esq which I've read and heard from many experts said Goedert makes a lot of great catches is better at blocking then Geisicki but still needs work on it but very consistent. I think if it weren't for injuries he'd be an automatic late first early 2nd rounder. I've seen a lot of PSU games as well living in PSU country. Way too many PSU people Overrate Geisicki. Dude is very inconsistent and like I said his Blocking is as impactful as putting a turnstile gate out there. 

I see Goedert being the better of the two simple because Gelsicki couldn't block a Safety to save his life if he had too. Gelsicki looks more like a situational guy and won't get as much playing time. I also read and saw some games where he dropped very catchable passes. Like someone else said he's Coby Fleener esq which I've read and heard from many experts said Goedert makes a lot of great catches is better at blocking then Geisicki but still needs work on it but very consistent. I think if it weren't for injuries he'd be an automatic late first early 2nd rounder. I've seen a lot of PSU games as well living in PSU country. Way too many PSU people Overrate Geisicki. Dude is very inconsistent and like I said his Blocking is as impactful as putting a turnstile gate out there. 
Respect your call as a homer, but as someone who only saw a few of their big conference games, it seemed like Gesicki was always making big plays. 

Gesicki excels at using his body to make contested catches. His problems, are dropping easy passes(which again he has shown improvement at) general route running, where he's among the worst at in this year's class, whether that is a reflection of him, or how Penn State used him is up for debate, but there isn't much of a varied route tree at all, and really the seam route is the only one that he does well, where his athletic gifts shine. He's also a liability as a blocker in the run game. 

He really looks like another Coby Fleener to me, but less NFL ready. He's certainly an NFL caliber player, but I'm not sure his athletic prowess with translate to production. He's not a top-5 TE in this class in my opinion, because I can easily envision him busting, but he's certainly got upside. That said, if I were running a team, he's probably a 4th rounder on my board. 
I just can’t get behind this at all.  In dynasty, when I am drafting TEs (QBs as well), I go upside.  I’m drafting athletic freaks who can dominate the position if things break right, because if they don’t it is so cheap to go get a replacement level TE.  Gesickis upside is prime Jimmy Graham, and I’ll take a 20% chance of that over a 70% chance of Kyle Rudolph.  

Gesickis upside is prime Jimmy Graham, and I’ll take a 20% chance of that over a 70% chance of Kyle Rudolph.  
Agree 100% with your overall point, but 20% definitely generous when rating his chances of hitting Graham-like prime.

Agree 100% with your overall point, but 20% definitely generous when rating his chances of hitting Graham-like prime.
It depends what you mean. Prime Jimmy Graham as in the quality of his play or the level of his production? I would say 20% is a decent number for the chance he reaches Graham's level of play, but the chances he plays that well and ends up in an offense that posts 5000 passing yards and 35+ passing TDs regularly is much much lower. 

I just can’t get behind this at all.  In dynasty, when I am drafting TEs (QBs as well), I go upside.  I’m drafting athletic freaks who can dominate the position if things break right, because if they don’t it is so cheap to go get a replacement level TE.  Gesickis upside is prime Jimmy Graham, and I’ll take a 20% chance of that over a 70% chance of Kyle Rudolph.  
I’m not sure where people are coming from Fantasy-wise - drafting pre NFL draft? Because it all depends on situation of where he’s drafted. I know that’s obvious but it’s worth stating.

Brees btw was lobbying hard & publicly for Graham to be resigned. In fact I think it was one of his inducements to resign. But even though the Pack got him I think the Saints are still on the hook to get Brees a weapon he wants. If Gesicki is there I think they get him or maybe they get Moore if he’s not. But Goedert seems like a reach in the 1st. If he’s available in the 3rd the Saints would get him but they don’t have a 2nd. I only say all this because you will struggle to find a team where TEs really matter like they do with the Saints. And before you bring up Fleener look at what he did vs the Redskins all in the 4th (5/91) only after all else failed. Brees can dial that up whenever he wants.

Is Goedert really projected to go in the 1st? Any chance he drops to the 3rd?
I'd be blown away if he fell to the 3rd. Decent  chance he's the 1st TE off the board. I think think he's clearly the best guy, but it seems he, Gesicki and Hurst all have their fans. If the Saints wait until round 3, Mark Andrews would be perfect. 

Respect your call as a homer, but as someone who only saw a few of their big conference games, it seemed like Gesicki was always making big plays. 
I'm actually not a PSU Homer. I'm a UF fan living in Philly 4 for 5 Sports guy (Eagles.Flyers,Phillies,Union, can't stand the 76ers) who I can't stand the PSU fans. I use to think Notre Dame fans were bad especially the "I'm Irish so that automatically makes me a ND fan" (Given the large Irish Community in my Area) but after the Sandusky issue I realized PSU fans make the ND fans look like a little nat. That whole situation is very close to me consideringI had a relative attempt to abuse me as a child so I really can't stand anyone who tries to defend anyone involved in that. Lost a few HS friends over the ordeal. Gesicki was always making plays this year because he and Barkley were their only options. I likened it to Micheal Carter Williams ROTY with the Sixers and he had great stats but they were incredible padded do to being the only good option they had. I'm not saying Gesiscki is a total bust but he's a one trick pony TE. Dude can't block worth a #### A Turnstile out there does just as good as him as a blocker. His only route he runs consistently is the deap thread where he can use his physicality for 50/50 balls. I watched a lot of PSU this year even though I'm not a fan just because I wanted to see what all the Barkley hype was (Still don't seeing as I saw three SEC RBs who could be just as good and had later in the draft) and Gesiscki did have issues dropping very catchable passes. I think overall he's a nice fit for the Saints. I just don't see him unless he works on more routes and becomes a better blocker being anything more then a situational down guy. 

I’m not sure where people are coming from Fantasy-wise - drafting pre NFL draft? Because it all depends on situation of where he’s drafted. I know that’s obvious but it’s worth stating.

Brees btw was lobbying hard & publicly for Graham to be resigned. In fact I think it was one of his inducements to resign. But even though the Pack got him I think the Saints are still on the hook to get Brees a weapon he wants. If Gesicki is there I think they get him or maybe they get Moore if he’s not. But Goedert seems like a reach in the 1st. If he’s available in the 3rd the Saints would get him but they don’t have a 2nd. I only say all this because you will struggle to find a team where TEs really matter like they do with the Saints. And before you bring up Fleener look at what he did vs the Redskins all in the 4th (5/91) only after all else failed. Brees can dial that up whenever he wants.
Brees was very outspoken about SProles being traded as well. I remember not liking the Sproles trade for the Eagles stand point as I felt SProles is a luxury guy a team like say a NE can splurge on where my Eagles at the time were rebuilding. At the time there was silly talk from some Eagles fans trading Shady and having SProles replace him as the lead back and I was like "Uh Sproles can't really be a lead back at this point in his career". Either way I remember Bress not being pleased about SProles being gone either. 

Users who are viewing this thread