What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBT+ Thread (2 Viewers)

I had CFA today for lunch, as luck would have it.  Our food court has CFA, Panda, and some pita place that kind of blows, so I only have two live options if I want to eat on campus.  
Not bad options.  Much better than the typical Burger King or Arbys.     Grilled chicken salad at CFA in my go to, and I have always like Panda.    Black pepper chicken, sweet fire chicken with  veggies  makes it somewhat healthy.

Not bad options.  Much better than the typical Burger King or Arbys.     Grilled chicken salad at CFA in my go to, and I have always like Panda.    Black pepper chicken, sweet fire chicken with  veggies  makes it somewhat healthy.
Here is the Chick-Fil-A thread:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/555816-chick-fil-a/

Please use that in the future to discuss it or other fast food choices instead of posting in this thread, which is devoted to LGBT+ discussion and issues. TIA.

Last link I posted was bad. Here is the correct one for this article.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/supreme-court-takes-lgbt-employment-discrimination/story?id=62551787&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Supreme Court takes on LGBT employment discrimination

The U.S. Supreme Court announced Monday that it will hear three high-profile cases involving employment discrimination against LGBT Americans. Together, the court will determine whether federal civil rights protections extend to include sexual orientation and gender identity.

The cases center on Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of "sex." The justices will consider whether the term covers sexual orientation and gender identity -- a question over which lower courts have divided.

In one case from New York, a sky-diving instructor sued his employer -- Altitude Express Inc. -- after he was allegedly fired for being gay. The Second Circuit Court of Appeals sided with the instructor.

A Georgia man, who alleges he was fired as a child welfare services coordinator because he is gay, lost his legal challenge against Clayton County, Georgia, in the Eleventh Circuit, which said sexual orientation is not a protected class.

In a third case out of Michigan, a transgender woman who was fired by the funeral home where she worked alleges employers penalized her on the basis of gender identity. The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in her favor.

The cases will be heard during the court's fall term, which starts in October.

Yes, indeed. :yes:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/3/21/18275850/chick-fil-a-anti-lgbtq-donations

Chick-fil-A’s charitable foundation kept donating to anti-LGBTQ groups

Chick-fil-A, the Georgia-based fast-food chain known for its juicy chicken sandwiches — and for its executives’ conservative strain of Christianity — has continued donating to anti-LGBTQ charities through its foundation despite claiming it had no political affiliation, ThinkProgress reports.

The Chick-fil-A Foundation donated more than $1.8 million to three groups with a history of anti-LGBTQ discrimination in 2017, according to recently released tax filings analyzed by ThinkProgress. That year, Chick-fil-A’s charitable arm gave $1,653,416 to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, a religious organization that requires its employees to refrain from “homosexual acts”; $150,000 to the Salvation Army, which has been accused of anti-LGBTQ discrimination and advocacy for years and whose media relations director once claimed gay people “deserve death”; and $6,000 to the Paul Anderson Youth Home, a Christian residential home that teaches young boys that same-sex marriage is a “rage against Jesus Christ and His values.”

These donations were made five years after Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy said the US was “inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and we say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.” Cathy’s comments prompted a nationwide boycott — as well as a counter-boycott, called “Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day,” created by then-Fox News host Mike Huckabee — and an eventual apology from the company, which claimed it would “leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and the political arena.”
Please keep this in the Chick-Fil-A thread.  

Still too much overlap. The "plus" is about as hackneyed as Gilligan's "and the rest".

Really just need 2 letters here. One to describe sexual orientation and one to describe gender orientation.
LG? Isnt that a brand?
"Lesbian" and "Gay" overlap each other. And "Bisexual" overlaps both of them. (All lesbians are gay; all bisexuals are part gay.)

You just need one term to cover all 3 -- Gay, Homosexual, Queer, etc.

Still too much overlap. The "plus" is about as hackneyed as Gilligan's "and the rest".

Really just need 2 letters here. One to describe sexual orientation and one to describe gender orientation.
What would you suggest? As a historical note, first "homosexual" rights organizations in late 60s just used "gay" in the title, but lesbians objected to that, so they were included in the name (and oddly given first billing) so I don't think one letter would suffice today, at a bare minimum it would have to be LGT.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would you suggest? As a historical note, first "homosexual" rights organizations in late 60s just used "gay" in the title, but lesbians objected to that, so they were included in the name (and oddly given first billing) so I don't think one letter would suffice today, at a bare minimum it would have to be LGT.
Aren't lesbians gay?   But what about bisexuals?   We can't REALLY call them gay right?

So should we go with LGBT?   Gee see where this is going?

Aren't lesbians gay?   But what about bisexuals?   We can't REALLY call them gay right?

So should we go with LGBT?   Gee see where this is going?
Yes, when the term "gay" was first adopted it was supposed to be all inclusive. However, lesbians of that day objected to being called "gay" (and may still probably do) - they didn't want to be included with the same label as gay men (I have no idea why and don't get the logic either).

Yes, when the term "gay" was first adopted it was supposed to be all inclusive. However, lesbians of that day objected to being called "gay" (and may still probably do) - they didn't want to be included with the same label as gay men (I have no idea why and don't get the logic either).
Queer should be the one umbrella term as its used in the lgbtq+ but historically we know why it’s not the choice

:shrug:

I dunno. But I do think maybe the lesbians shouldn't be so uptight about being called gay.

Queer should be the one umbrella term as its used in the lgbtq+ but historically we know why it’s not the choice
I agree that "Queer" comes closest to being the one term that could cover everything. And it's a term that has been co-opted by many different groups, both in terms of sexual orientation and gender orientation.

I agree that "Queer" comes closest to being the one term that could cover everything. And it's a term that has been co-opted by many different groups, both in terms of sexual orientation and gender orientation.
See I would say gay covers everything better.   

It’s pretty simple.  If you are stimulated by anything about someone of the same sex that’s gay.  If you are stimulated by acting or dressing like the other sex, that is also gay.  All these letters fit under the umbrella of gay.  

"Gay" would not cover an asexual person (i.e., not attracted to any sex) or a non-binary person (i.e., not identifying as male or female).

It’s pretty simple.  If you are stimulated by anything about someone of the same sex that’s gay.  If you are stimulated by acting or dressing like the other sex, that is also gay.  All these letters fit under the umbrella of gay.  
You are confusing sexual attraction or orientation with gender identity. Transgender folks are those whose gender identity or gender expression differs from their assigned sex - it has nothing to do with being "stimulated" by either sex.

"Queer" is a term that has been used by many different groups, including people who identify as non-binary and asexual.

Not everyone likes the word, though.
Yeah I don't equate the word queer to asexuals....at all........but then again, maybe I have never seen it used in that manner.   Can't asexuals just be nothing?   

"Queer" is a term that has been used by many different groups, including people who identify as non-binary and asexual.

Not everyone likes the word, though.
No because it has a lot of baggage associated with it for being used as a pejorative against gay men for decades.

It has been adopted by some gay men and used in organizations like Queer Nation and on TV series (Queer as Folk and Queer Eye) but the use of the term was intended to be ironic more than anything else, using the term of the oppressor to take the sting out of it (somewhat analogous with blacks using the "N" word).  

The Trans people I know aren't "stimulated" by "acting or dessing like the other sex." It's not about sexual behavior at all.

You are confusing sexual attraction or orientation with gender identity. Transgender folks are those whose gender identity or gender expression differs from their assigned sex - it has nothing to do with being "stimulated" by either sex.
So Gay and Transgender?
"Gay" and "Transgender" are probably the two most accurate words to use.......although many lesbians don't like the term "Gay", and many non-binary people don't like the term "Transgender" (because it implies that they want to transition from one gender to another).

I’m glad we could all get back to the real issue.  Telling people who feel marginalized and dismissed what they should be allowed to call themselves. Again. 

Users who are viewing this thread