What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBT+ Thread (1 Viewer)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/07/business/burger-king-chick-fil-a-lgbt/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_content=2021-06-08T13%3A00%3A11&utm_source=twCNN&utm_term=link

Burger King trolls Chick-fil-A with LGBTQ+ donations

New York (CNN Business)Burger King is making a statement during pride month: It's trying to get a leg up in the chicken sandwich wars by taking a not-so-subtle dig at rival Chick-fil-A's fraught history with the LGBTQ+ community.

The fast-food chain tweeted last week that it would donate 40 cents to the Human Rights Campaign for every Ch'King chicken sandwich sold in June. The Human Rights Campaign is America's largest LGBTQ civil rights organization.

Burger King added it will make those donations "even on Sunday," tweeting the eyes emoji. Chick-fil-A, because of its devout Christian ownership, closes its restaurants on Sundays.

https://twitter.com/BurgerKing/status/1400618810571362305

[...]
They committed to 250k from this promotion. I wonder how much they usually give to lgbtq+ annually ? 

Sly move by Burger King. Too bad their food tastes like crap. This probably won’t move the needle much as far as their overall sales go, although there’re likely some who will subject their taste buds to crap for the cause. 

They committed to 250k from this promotion. I wonder how much they usually give to lgbtq+ annually ? 
I don't know the amount annually given, but they have been publicly supportive of the LGBT+ community for years, going back at least to 2014 where they unveiled a Proud Wopper, which was a limited edition version of the Whopper burger to celebrate LGBTQ Pride in San Francisco, featuring a rainbow wrapper with “we are all the same inside” inscribed.

https://www.metroweekly.com/2014/07/burger-king-unveils-its-proud-whopper/

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw the Blue clues video that was causing some outrage in certain circles and I'm not outraged by it, but I do find it unnecessary for that age group.

I take issue with some of the messaging too. I fully support the LGB community, but there are certain aspects of the Trans movement that are more nuanced and require discussion vs the blanket "I support all LGBTQ+ movement"

I just saw the Blue clues video that was causing some outrage in certain circles and I'm not outraged by it, but I do find it unnecessary for that age group.

I take issue with some of the messaging too. I fully support the LGB community, but there are certain aspects of the Trans movement that are more nuanced and require discussion vs the blanket "I support all LGBTQ+ movement"
I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with a video like this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4vHegf3WPU

I don't see the harm in acknowledging to children that there are families that exist with two mommies, two daddies or have trans members, that is the reality of the world in this country in 2021. Pretending that LGBT+ people don't exist is not the answer IMO. 

Equality under the law in all 50 states. In 26 or so states (don't have the exact number) you can be married on Sunday if you are LGBT+ and fired on Monday for being LGBT+ with no recourse.
Is it just some outdated laws? Or can the states literally use LGBT as the stated reason to fire someone?

Is it just some outdated laws? Or can the states literally use LGBT as the stated reason to fire someone?
There is no protection for LGBT+ folks, so even if they actually say "I am firing you for being queer after seeing you got married"  there is no recourse as there is zero employment discrimination protection for LGBT+ people.

You'll have to show some evidence of how widespread this is.  I don't trust Twitter.
https://www.upworthy.com/29-states-can-fire-you-for-being-gay-is-your-state-one-of-them

29 States Can Fire You For Being Gay. Is Your State One Of Them?

And in 34 states it is legal to fire someone solely for being transgender. If you think this is as ridiculous as I do, you're going to want to see what Michigan's hilarious "Don't Change Yourself: Change the Law" campaign is doing about it.

https://www.upworthy.com/29-states-can-fire-you-for-being-gay-is-your-state-one-of-them

And in 34 states it is legal to fire someone solely for being transgender. If you think this is as ridiculous as I do, you're going to want to see what Michigan's hilarious "Don't Change Yourself: Change the Law" campaign is doing about it.
I didn't look at your link because the excerpt you posted is just the same thing you asserted previously.  I asked for evidence that it happens; not that it could.  You know, like the voter fraud you say is non-existent so we don't need laws to ensure voter integrity.

Edit - I tried to look at your story, from some website I've never heard of.  But it appears to just be a headline.  It won't take me to a story when I click on it.  And it's almost 10 years old.  How do I know those states haven't added protections in the last 9+ years?

I didn't look at your link because the excerpt you posted is just the same thing you asserted previously.  I asked for evidence that it happens; not that it could.  You know, like the voter fraud you say is non-existent so we don't need laws to ensure voter integrity.
:rolleyes:  Yeah, there isn't a shred of proof that it does exist...but OK...if you say it does I won't spend any more time, um, discussing this with you. 

Absolutely insane if there are still archaic laws like that still on the books but your link doesn’t have much info in it

:rolleyes:  Yeah, there isn't a shred of proof that it does exist...but OK...if you say it does I won't spend any more time, um, discussing this with you. 
I was willing to entertain the issue, but when asked for evidence you posted a 10 year old link from a dubious source that doesn't even provide the evidence I requested.  So yeah, you should probably bow out of the discussion.

I was willing to entertain the issue, but when asked for evidence you posted a 10 year old link from a dubious source that doesn't even provide the evidence I requested.  So yeah, you should probably bow out of the discussion.
Fine, research yourself where and in what states in 2021 employment discrimination against LGBT+ folks still is legal and exists in this country (26 states I think). If you don't want to believe it does, then don't. 

I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with a video like this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4vHegf3WPU

I don't see the harm in acknowledging to children that there are families that exist with two mommies, two daddies or have trans members, that is the reality of the world in this country in 2021. Pretending that LGBT+ people don't exist is not the answer IMO. 
I agree with what you’ve written here 100%. That said, the video is pretty terrible.  Not because of the content, but because the song is annoying, the production is horrible, and I think it mostly fails at its educational goal.

I agree with what you’ve written here 100%. That said, the video is pretty terrible.  Not because of the content, but because the song is annoying, the production is horrible, and I think it mostly fails at its educational goal.
Yeah, if I had any school age kids I probably wouldn't want them to see it, only because it so amateurish. 

https://www.courierpress.com/story/opinion/columnists/jon-webb/2020/06/16/despite-supreme-court-you-can-still-get-fired-being-gay-trans/3197494001/

Despite Supreme Court ruling, you can still get fired for being gay, transgender  

[...]

It doesn’t protect everybody, though. Depending on where you work, you can still get fired for being gay or transgender.

Under U.S. law, religious organizations are basically exempt from protections baked into the Civil Rights Act. Sometimes called the “ministerial exception,” it bars ministers from suing for discrimination.

According to Evansville attorney Erin Borcherding Bauer, with Barber & Bauer LLP, Monday’s decision won’t do anything to overturn that. Gorsuch’s opinion made that clear, she said.

[...]

https://www.courierpress.com/story/opinion/columnists/jon-webb/2020/06/16/despite-supreme-court-you-can-still-get-fired-being-gay-trans/3197494001/

Despite Supreme Court ruling, you can still get fired for being gay, transgender  

[...]

It doesn’t protect everybody, though. Depending on where you work, you can still get fired for being gay or transgender.

Under U.S. law, religious organizations are basically exempt from protections baked into the Civil Rights Act. Sometimes called the “ministerial exception,” it bars ministers from suing for discrimination.

According to Evansville attorney Erin Borcherding Bauer, with Barber & Bauer LLP, Monday’s decision won’t do anything to overturn that. Gorsuch’s opinion made that clear, she said.

[...]
You just moved the goal posts.  Originally you were going on about how employers in a bunch of states could fire you just for being gay, which is flatly untrue.  Now that you've been called on it, you're trying to retreat to "Well, religious employers can still fire gay people."  Which is true, of course, but not what you were talking about before.

I recommend that you stick to copy and pasting from Twitter.  That's very low quality content, but it's better than the stuff that you come up with on your own.

Edit - I tried to look at your story, from some website I've never heard of.  But it appears to just be a headline.  It won't take me to a story when I click on it.  And it's almost 10 years old.  How do I know those states haven't added protections in the last 9+ years?
You're arguing with a person who doesn't know what he's talking about, cherry-picks out-of-date and unreliable sources to win arguments with strangers on the internet, and would sooner eat broken glass than let somebody else have the last word even after being shown that he's wrong.  Don't you have better things to do, like watch paint dry?

You're arguing with a person who doesn't know what he's talking about, cherry-picks out-of-date and unreliable sources to win arguments with strangers on the internet, and would sooner eat broken glass than let somebody else have the last word even after being shown that he's wrong.  Don't you have better things to do, like watch paint dry?
Oh, the irony.

Because cartoons are for kids. There are millions of kids that either have two moms or dads or know someone who has two moms or dads. Kids don't play with guns nor do they have or perform abortions.
some people would argue that kids shouldn't be exposed to guns and pro-life and many other things because of the influences it has on kids

guess what? some people would argue that pro-LGBTQ shouldn't be shown to kids. In fact, for like the history of the USA until maybe the 1990's it was highly shunned

things have changed, many more people are open to LGBTQ but my point is, if we flooded tv kids shows with pro-gun and pro-life then in 10-20 years the next generation would have been raised in pro-gun pro-life world and they'd be way more open an accepting to guns and pro-life

kids have ALWAYS played with guns - and toy army sets and cowboys and indian's etc and kids have always played with dolls and babies

kids were never really exposed to anything LGBTQ until last 15-20 years if even

https://youtu.be/Xprabkl1LD4

This was another video on Nickelodeon introducing kids to drag queens and trans. 

I feel the outrage stems from parents wanting to have the conversation with their kids first, not being exposed to adult issues without supervision or clarification on the issue.

How on earth did the guy that runs the LBGTQ+ thread miss the Supreme Court ruling? Like, the one that made huge news last year because it extended protections under the Civil Rights Act of 1964. How could you miss that?
It was arguably the biggest supreme court ruling on the subject of gay rights.  The only other two in the conversation are Lawrence v. Texas and Obergefell.  And he couldn't be bothered to remember it.

It would be as if a Saints fan was in here talking about how the Saints were going to be great next year and you ask him why and he starts off with how awesome Drew Brees is.

It was arguably the biggest supreme court ruling on the subject of gay rights.  The only other two in the conversation are Lawrence v. Texas and Obergefell.  And he couldn't be bothered to remember it.

It would be as if a Saints fan was in here talking about how the Saints were going to be great next year and you ask him why and he starts off with how awesome Drew Brees is.
He would probably start talking about their need to sign Kaepernick

Users who are viewing this thread