What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBT+ Thread (1 Viewer)

Because her way of thinking is backwards and archaic. 

I see no difference between this and someone saying “I won’t play on a team with black people.”
Interesting.

I assume the womens soccer team has some openly gay women on it. So she had no trouble playing on a team with gay people, just didn't wanna wear the patch on her jersey.

I see no difference between this and Kramer not wanting to wear the ribbon. He was of course against aids, but just didn't want to wear the ribbon. What's the big deal right?  :shrug:

Interesting.

I assume the womens soccer team has some openly gay women on it. So she had no trouble playing on a team with gay people, just didn't wanna wear the patch on her jersey.

I see no difference between this and Kramer not wanting to wear the ribbon. He was of course against aids, but just didn't want to wear the ribbon. What's the big deal right?  :shrug:
She's not for gay pride.

She's not for gay pride.
"At the end of the day, I'm still going to be friends with her. We have no problems with each other. She's never said anything bad about me. She never said anything bad about anybody. So, for people to pass on that kind of judgement on another human being, I think it's sort of uncalled for. She's got her opinions. That's fine. Everybody does. It hasn't affected our team at all."

From one of her teammates. If it doesn't bother them, I don't know why it would bother anyone else , or cause someone that never met her to call her a goon :lol:

"At the end of the day, I'm still going to be friends with her. We have no problems with each other. She's never said anything bad about me. She never said anything bad about anybody. So, for people to pass on that kind of judgement on another human being, I think it's sort of uncalled for. She's got her opinions. That's fine. Everybody does. It hasn't affected our team at all."

From one of her teammates. If it doesn't bother them, I don't know why it would bother anyone else , or cause someone that never met her to call her a goon :lol:
I didn't say it bothered them, I said she's not for gay pride.

They aren’t.  She is being persecuted by others for her beliefs.  
How is she being persecuted? By being required to wear an identical jersey that all of her teammates will be wearing? Are you suggesting she should be the only team member allowed to wear a different jersey because of anti gay pride views?

And just for purposes of comparison, do you also feel that Kaepernick is being persecuted for his beliefs? He is also objecting to participating in something because of his beliefs, in his case by kneeling, in hers to wearing clothing she feels is promoting something.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is she being persecuted? By being required to wear an identical jersey that all of her teammates will be wearing? Are you suggesting she should be the only team member allowed to wear a different jersey because of anti gay pride views?

And just for purposes of comparison, do you also feel that Kaepernick is being persecuted for his beliefs? He is also objecting to participating in something because of his beliefs, in his case by kneeling, in hers to wearing clothing she feels is promoting something.
She hasn’t been called back up to the National team since she refused to wear a gay pride jersey. 

Not even close to Kaepernick. His protest has nothing to do with the NFL.  He just chose to pee in the NFL’s swimming pool. Gay Pride jerseys should not be forced on the National soccer team.  

She hasn’t been called back up to the National team since she refused to wear a gay pride jersey. 

Not even close to Kaepernick. His protest has nothing to do with the NFL.  He just chose to pee in the NFL’s swimming pool. Gay Pride jerseys should not be forced on the National soccer team.  
Of course it does. Standing for the anthem should not be forced on NFL players. They should have the right to kneel respectfully. He does not wish to participate in a public show of patriotism, while she does not wish to participate in a public show of wearing a jersey with a message she finds offensive.

Of course it does. Standing for the anthem should not be forced on NFL players. They should have the right to kneel respectfully. He does not wish to participate in a public show of patriotism, while she does not wish to participate in a public show of wearing a jersey with a message she finds offensive.
They do. They can kneel in the locker room.

Functionally i just can't understand this...i didn't read the decision but does this mean we can go back to white only restaurants for example?
No and I think the court said specifically that this case doesn’t set any precedents.

As times change, so do labels. Back in the 1970s, those advocating for sexual or gender minorities often summed up the whole spectrum as “gay and lesbian,” never mind bisexual or transgender people. The acronym LGBT didn’t come into vogue until the 1990s, but like its predecessor, people have found those four letters too reductive. And so this acronym is about to go mainstream as a party of five.

Media advocacy organization GLAAD is releasing the tenth edition of its style guide, a language bible for journalists covering these issues, which asks that all major media outlets to use LGBTQ from now on. The “q” stands for queer.

“On one level, it is just adding another letter,” says Sarah Kate Ellis, GLAAD’s president and CEO. “But really it is bringing a whole new definition to the way we describe ourselves. It’s the start of a bigger shift.”

“Queer” existed as a slur for a long time, an arrow slung at people to make them feel like freaks or deviants. The oldest meaning, going back to the 1500s, is strange, peculiar or questionable, and the word will still ring pejorative in many older people’s ears. Yet around the time of the AIDS crisis groups really started to reclaim it (“We’re here, we’re queer, get used to it!”), and today young people are increasingly gravitating toward this label, one with no precise definition related to sexuality or gender. Which is the point.

That shift Ellis refers to is one toward thinking about sexuality and gender in a more fluid way, as parts of our identities that are more complicated than any binary choice, multifaceted things that might evolve over time or be best described by a label that hasn’t even been invented yet. “Fluidity means just what the word is, that it’s ever flowing, and you don’t have to check a box or live within constraints,” Ellis says. “There is no limit to who you can be.”

Some see the word queer as an umbrella term, encompassing any identity that isn’t straight and cisgender. Some see it as a middle finger to the very idea that two options—man or woman, gay or straight—is sufficient for the natural variety of feelings that people have. Some see it as a tool for spreading the message that being inclusive, without needing all the details, is what it’s all about. “I see it as much more encompassing,” says Jeremy Charneco-Sullivan, a teacher in Missouri who previously used the label gay but now uses queer. His feelings about attraction haven’t changed, but his political ideas have: “I’ve grown to see the community as one united force

Christ almighty can you please use the correct term . Stop being disrespectful with your passive aggression 

LGBTQ
Either is acceptable as they are used interchangeably by those in that minority community. Quoting from the article link:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/13/mike-pence-met-dancing-drag-queens-ohio/698031002/

Vice President Mike Pence would have been in high school when ABBA's Dancing Queen hit the charts. He'll have the opportunity for some nostalgia on Friday in Columbus when drag queens and LGBT advocates hold a dance party outside his hotel.

Pence is scheduled to speak at the Renaissance Hotel Friday afternoon. The Vice President has long been criticized for his stance on LGBT rights. While governor of Indiana, he signed the 2015 Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which some said encouraged discrimination. [...]

"We want to counter that anti-LGBT attitude that they have with a big, positive, loving dance party," said Jay Smith, one of the organizers."

This isn't the first time LGBT activists have challenged Pence through the art of dance. Before Trump inauguration, a dance party was held outside his rental home in Washington, D.C.
Perhaps you should contact the Cincinnati.com/Cincinnati Enquirer website and inform them that both the reporter Cameron Knight, along with Jay Smith, one of the organizers of this event, are being disrespectful by using LGBT rather than LGBTQ.

Either is acceptable as they are used interchangeably by those in that minority community. Quoting from the article link:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/13/mike-pence-met-dancing-drag-queens-ohio/698031002/

Perhaps you should contact the Cincinnati.com/Cincinnati Enquirer website and inform them that both the reporter Cameron Knight, along with Jay Smith, one of the organizers of this event, are being disrespectful by using LGBT rather than LGBTQ.
I’m talking to you about your usage. Evidently you are a poser when it comes to the issues in the LGBTQ community 

I’m talking to you about your usage. Evidently you are a poser when it comes to the issues in the LGBTQ community 
Seems silly to complain about a poster who didn't actually do what you are claiming.....the reporter of the linked article did. If squistion had altered the article you'd probably jump on your horse and tell us why we shouldnt trust anything he posts. Grow up please. 

Seems silly to complain about a poster who didn't actually do what you are claiming.....the reporter of the linked article did. If squistion had altered the article you'd probably jump on your horse and tell us why we shouldnt trust anything he posts. Grow up please. 
I’m addressing @squistion about a long standing issue he has with this . Circle the wagons even when he is dead wrong and knows it.

good day to you

Technically he did do this. 

squistion said:
The NFL and MLB will participate in New York City’s LGBT Pride March for the first time ever this month, according to Out Sports.

https://www.outsports.com/2018/6/1/17389274/nyc-pride-march-nfl-nba-nhl-mlb-wnba-lgbtq-athletes
He removed the Q. It is in the article. It is even in the hyperlink. 

Technically he did do this. 

He removed the Q. It is in the article. It is even in the hyperlink. 
That was a different article that Ruffrody was referencing. Again, the two terms are used interchangeably and are acceptable to most in that minority community (at least on social media).

And I was actually quoting Kyle Griffin, who is gay and uses LGBT over LGBTQ all the time:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1006488783879983104

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 Jun 12

The NFL and MLB will participate in New York City’s LGBT Pride March for the first time ever this month, according to Out Sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread