What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR D.J. Moore, CHI (2 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2018 NFL Draft 3.0

Excerpt:

Moore is a thick, muscled-up wideout with outstanding toughness, burst and savvy. He lines up both outside and in the slot for the Terrapins. He powers through press coverage and understands how to set up defenders before snapping off his route. He collects a lot of quick hitters in this offense, but he flashes the ability to work down the seam as well as over the top. He tracks the ball naturally. He can adjust and finish on poor throws. He's at his best after the catch. Moore routinely breaks tackles, makes defenders miss or runs away from them. His competitiveness is off the charts. I won't be surprised if Moore ends up being the best receiver in this draft class.

Last edited:
NFL Media's Mike Mayock moved Maryland's D.J. Moore up to WR No. 2.

As usual with these updates, Mayock does not offer reasoning. That will come later on television hits. But the jump up from No. 5 to No. 2 absolutely is noteworthy, as it shows the impact Moore made at the NFL Combine. Every year, Mayock is the closest at setting his board in relation to how picks are made during the draft, so we will be monitoring Moore's continued rise.

Mar 13 - 10:03 AM

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld's Josh Norris believes Maryland WR D.J. Moore's 97th percentile athleticism shows up in games.

Norris presented Moore's games against Texas and UCF as evidence. On one snap, Moore slow played a cornerback in man coverage, forced him to take a false step, then sprinted to the corner of the end zone for a touchdown, displaying the multiple gears in his game. Against UCF, Moore fully extended for a catch over the middle but did not miss a beat when landing, returning to a full sprint to outrun the defense for another score. As the process goes along, Moore continues to propel towards a top two receiver selection. 

Mar 12 - 8:48 AM

Source: Josh Norris on Twitter

In recapping the NFL Scouting Combine's biggest risers, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. referred to Maryland WR D.J. Moore as "the most impressive wide receiver in Indianapolis."

Moore (6'0/210) was one of the combine's standout performers, posting an NFL athletic profile in the 97th percentile by Three Sigma Athlete metrics. Among his shining marks in Indy, a 4.42-second sprint through the 40-yard dash in addition to huge jumps of 39.5 inches (vertical) and 132 inches (broad). He also aced on-field drills. Kiper believes he's worked his way into the Day 1 mix. We'd agree with that assessment.

Source: ESPN Insider 

Mar 6 - 2:15 PM

I'm starting to come around on him, but I just can't get fully on board.  On one hand, when I watched him he was pretty average to my eyes when it came to his skills, and being a technician, except his numbers were pretty good for 2017 even with horrid QB play.  There's something to be said for that. 

On the other hand, he kind of looks like a bigger version of Christian Kirk in that he's unlikely to be just a slot guy like Kirk will likely be.  And since I really like Kirk, I should really like Moore right?  Either way, I know I won't be bumping him a lot in my rankings so he won't be on my teams when it's all said and done, which I'm fine with.  

I'm starting to come around on him, but I just can't get fully on board.  On one hand, when I watched him he was pretty average to my eyes when it came to his skills, and being a technician, except his numbers were pretty good for 2017 even with horrid QB play.  There's something to be said for that. 

On the other hand, he kind of looks like a bigger version of Christian Kirk in that he's unlikely to be just a slot guy like Kirk will likely be.  And since I really like Kirk, I should really like Moore right?  Either way, I know I won't be bumping him a lot in my rankings so he won't be on my teams when it's all said and done, which I'm fine with.  
He just hits on everything for me: dominated in college as he was basically the whole Maryland passing offense, played big time competition, has good size, elite athlete. He turns into RB after the catch which means I think he could really cause a lot of trouble out of the slot. He has the size and athleticism to also play outside. 

The NFL isn’t overlooking D.J. Moore like it did with Stefon Diggs

Maryland WR D.J. Moore's hype train is out of control among Ravens fans

DJ Moore should be drafted higher than Torrey Smith and Stefon Diggs

2018 NFL Scouting Report: Scouting Maryland wide receiver D.J. Moore

"The 30": 2018 Cowboys draft prospect WR D.J. Moore

2018 NFL Draft: Why Maryland receiver D.J. Moore could be the Falcons' first-round pick

2018 NFL Draft: Pro comparisons for top wide receiver prospects

Excerpt:

One such player is D.J. Moore out of the University of Maryland, who turned heads with an excellent performance at the NFL Scouting Combine. Moore checked in bigger than he was listed in school, at 6-foot and 210 pounds, then proceeded to make noise in the testing portion. Moore blazed a 4.42-second 40-yard dash and leapt 39.5 inches in the vertical and 11 feet in the broad jump, top-five marks at the position in all three drills. The public took notice, with NFL.com draft analyst Mike Mayock bumping Moore up three spots in his most recent positional rankings.

I spoke with Moore in the weeks following the combine, and he confirmed there was a little more attention on him. When I asked what stood out to him from the draft process, he pointed to "people sending links and stuff of me moving up the charts to the top among the wide receivers." 

Of course, while it was great to see Moore show some objectively freaky athleticism at the combine, the evidence that he is a high-end prospect is all over his collegiate film, with his game being quite reminiscent of current Detroit Lions wide receiver Golden Tate. 

"I would say that's a good comparison," Moore said, agreeing when I ran it by him. "Watching him, he's physical, he does things after the catch that I do similar." Moore also offered up Jarvis Landry as another player who approached the wide receiver assignment with a physical nature. 

As we discussed those two players, I mentioned that most NFL passing games today run through the middle of the field and, like Landry and Tate, you must be a badass to play receiver that way. 

"Oh, yes, absolutely," Moore replied, with a laugh that confirmed he intends to adopt that same combative nature to his game. 

Tate has racked up 90-plus catches in each of his four seasons with the Lions as their primary slot receiver, but he's no stranger to chipping in outside. Tate saw 68 percent of his targets when lined up in the slot in 2017, per Next Gen Stats tracking, but just 31 percent the year prior. Moore sees himself as a player who can execute similar assignments. "Oh, I could play all across the field, play outside or inside. It's in my arsenal to play both and be wherever the team needs me," he proclaimed when asked if he believed his primary home would be inside.

If Moore wants to become a starting-caliber outside receiver in addition to his work from the slot, he'll need to hone his route-running acumen. Luckily, he's already shown he has the potential to be that type of player, having consistently earned separation in college. The key to being a top route-runner is preparation and "just being able to run a route the same way, over and over and over again," Moore told me. He also relayed that his favorite route was the curl, which -- no surprise -- I charted as the pattern he ran most often and consistently gained separation on in college.

As to why he enjoyed running the curl, Moore said, "you can work man or zones. Work behind the zones, sit down in it, come back to the quarterback if it's man." He agreed it was his best route, which is good news for his NFL projection. The curl route is one of the most commonly run routes in the NFL -- if not the most commonly run route -- a major source of chunk passing production in the intermediate area of the field. 

As with all prospects, there is room for improvement in Moore's game. He believes the key is continuing to develop as a route-runner, "coming in and out of my routes quicker than what I usually do, because I just know at the next level, they're going to be right there." Honing that quickness against press coverage to consistently earn a clean release at the line of scrimmage will go a long way in Moore's quest to become a No. 1 receiver in the NFL. 

After studying his profile and getting a chance to pick his brain about the position, it's impossible not to be optimistic about Moore's chances at NFL success. It should surprise no one if he's the first receiver off the board in April. Moore told me he's had interviews with teams like Dallas, Arizona, Green Bay and others in need of a breath of fresh air in the wide receiver room.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is highly likely that Moore is going to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft. The question is which team will select him?

NFL teams tried to unsettle DJ Moore with strange questions. He says it didn’t work.

Here’s five NFL teams we’d be excited to see draft D.J. Moore

Dallas Cowboys: D.J. Moore the only acceptable offensive target at No. 19

Maryland WR D.J. Moore visits with Ravens

The NFL isn’t overlooking D.J. Moore like it did with Stefon Diggs

2018 NFL Draft: Former Maryland wide receiver D.J. Moore visiting the Carolina Panthers today

NFL Media's Chad Reuter writes that Maryland WR D.J. Moore will be an "Odell Beckham-like playmaker in the NFL."

Reuter likes Moore as the top receiving prospect in this class, ranking him ahead of both Calvin Ridley and Courtland Sutton. The Panthers are a team to watch for the 6-foot, 210-pounder, as he visited Carolina this week and was recently pegged to the outfit by Draftwire's Luke Easterling in a four-round mock draft, with Easterling forwarding the possibility of a trade up to the No. 18 pick with the Seahawks in order to acquire the explosive receiver.

Source: NFL.com

Apr 12 - 4:48 PM

I agree that he could improve his route running. But that's a preferable negative. A receiver producing as much as Moore did, in a crappy situation, without using perfect technique, implies great talent. 

In this draft, Moore has the best chance at greatness with his size and speed. He can sink his hips for quick cuts, so he should be able get open when he improves his routes. And he already knows how to use his hands to create some separation. A concerning quality though: He has some inconsistent hands. You'll credit him for putting himself in position to make a tough catch but manages then just drop the ball at the last second. In his defense, his quarterbacks didn't always help him with good ball placement or timing.  

Moore's easily the most talented receiver coming out. I'd much rather take a chance on him than one of the others destined to serve as a role player on an NFL team.

I agree that he could improve his route running. But that's a preferable negative. A receiver producing as much as Moore did, in a crappy situation, without using perfect technique, implies great talent. 

In this draft, Moore has the best chance at greatness with his size and speed. He can sink his hips for quick cuts, so he should be able get open when he improves his routes. And he already knows how to use his hands to create some separation. A concerning quality though: He has some inconsistent hands. You'll credit him for putting himself in position to make a tough catch but manages then just drop the ball at the last second. In his defense, his quarterbacks didn't always help him with good ball placement or timing.  

Moore's easily the most talented receiver coming out. I'd much rather take a chance on him than one of the others destined to serve as a role player on an NFL team.
I completely agree and think he doesn’t run ‘crisp routes’ argument is laughable. He shouldn’t be as polished as a guy like Ridley who is in his mid 20s. Also he got the job done at Maryland where he was half their offense. I hope this causes him the fall in fantasy drafts.

MMQB's Albert Breer reports "more than one team prefers" Maryland WR D.J. Moore to Alabama WR Calvin Ridley.

Productive despite a myriad of quarterback issues at Maryland, Moore is an explosive athlete (39.5-inch vertical and 132-inch broad) with exceptional ability after the catch. He is certainly not as refined as Ridley, but his physical skills give him a higher ceiling. It would not be a surprise to hear Moore's name called before Ridley's next week.

Source: MMQB

Apr 19 - 11:19 AM

One anonymous scout speaking with Bob McGinn Football panned Maryland WR D.J. Moore as "not nearly as good as Mohamed Sanu."

Moore finished WR2 behind Calvin Ridley in McGinn's annual poll of NFL evaluators. "I didn’t think he’d run that well," said the scout of Moore's 4.42 40 time at the NFL Combine. "I thought he’d be 4.6. He’s a good little player. Good hands. I just thought he was really slow. You didn’t see a whole lot of quickness and speed. More of a third receiver, to be honest with you. Not nearly as good as Mohamed Sanu." Other scouts polled by McGinn were higher on the Terps star. "He earns your respect because he has excellent hands, he’s fast enough, he’s big enough and he’s a really good route runner," another scout said. "Plus, he doubles as an effective punt returner." Said a third: "He can go deep and catch over the shoulder. He’s really good at that. He will go over the middle and go get the football. He snatches it out of the air. Off the film he looks like a 6-2 or 6-3 kid."

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Apr 24 - 3:24 PM

Why? He was a clear but top WR 
Guess I’d prefer my rookie WR to not be in an offense attempting to catch passes from Cam Newton, and competing for limited targets not only with the other WRs but with elite options at TE and RB. He’ll obviously play a lot, but I don’t see much upside.

Guess I’d prefer my rookie WR to not be in an offense attempting to catch passes from Cam Newton, and competing for limited targets not only with the other WRs but with elite options at TE and RB. He’ll obviously play a lot, but I don’t see much upside.
Oh I thought you were a Panther fan hating on the Moore pick which is a mistake by me. I hear that Cam is inaccurate but that is countered by a huge need to a good WR. I don't think Olsen is an elite option anymore and could be retired in a year. 

Oh I thought you were a Panther fan hating on the Moore pick which is a mistake by me. I hear that Cam is inaccurate but that is countered by a huge need to a good WR. I don't think Olsen is an elite option anymore and could be retired in a year. 
 Right, I like him and thinknit feels a need for Carolina.  Gross for ffball.

Right, I like him and thinknit feels a need for Carolina.  Gross for ffball.
Eh, to me it is neutral. The volume of passing stats available in Carolina is low but there is also a lot of room for someone to soak up a significant concentration. 

I loved Moore, but I'm really sad about this landing spot. Sort of crowded offense which doesn't pass for 4,000 yards or many touchdowns. No thanks.

Moore has enough raw ability to be a FF stud. Really high ceiling

One of the surprises of FF drafts for me this year was seeing how late Moore typically went. Many times he went after the big-8 RBs & that's simply a steal, IMO.

This is why I passed on Moore at 1.08 and actually traded down to 1.11. Hoping to land Kirk but he was taken 1.10. In hindsight I wish I had taken Kirk 1.08; my one and only regret of my entire draft. 

Moore has some great talent and could be good some day. But he is really 5th in the pecking order for Carolina in terms of touches:

1. CMC
2. Olson
3. Cam himself
4. Funchess 
5. Moore

You could argue that Moore will get more targets over Funchess, and I guess even if I conceeded that and said that Moore would get Funchess' targets in 2018, we're still talking about 60/800. Hardly a "stud" and definitely not a WR1. 

Furthermore, we are counting on Cam Newton to not throw it into the dirt 5 yards ahead of Moore
Moore was drafted in one of the worse spots for a top 5 talent. I too will pass, Ridley will be my first target otherwise I will trade that pick to try and grab Corey Davis from the owner who doesn’t have a 1st this year.

Tex

Moore was drafted in one of the worse spots for a top 5 talent. I too will pass, Ridley will be my first target otherwise I will trade that pick to try and grab Corey Davis from the owner who doesn’t have a 1st this year.

Tex
Moore ended in a bad spot for FF but Cam and the Panthers got a great WR.  If Steve Smith gives his stamp of approval, that is good enough for me.  If nothing else, the kid is going to be fun to watch. 

Moore ended in a bad spot for FF but Cam and the Panthers got a great WR.  If Steve Smith gives his stamp of approval, that is good enough for me.  If nothing else, the kid is going to be fun to watch. 
Me speaking strictly from a Dynasty owner’s point of view.

Tex

:blackdot:

given the fact i have oodles of dynasty leagues - and a glut of higher picks in said leagues - i did get moore and like what i read/see thus far

Max Henson @PanthersMax

Gonna tweet some spring takeaways,  because why not. 

1. Rookie WR DJ Moore looks more than ready to contribute. Smooth. Can really run. And we haven’t even seen what he does best - making guys miss who are actually trying to tackle him.

2018-06-14, 6:55 PM

I'm really looking forward to seeing what this cat can do. Moore is a natural receiver & really dynamic after the catch.

It wouldn't surprise me if he had a very productive rookie season.

D.J. Moore - WR -  Panthers

MMQB's Albert Breer writes Panthers first-round WR D.J. Moore "has looked the part" this offseason.

The first receiver off the board at No. 24 overall, Moore is a dynamic weapon who is dangerous after the catch, and he apparently showed off those traits during OTAs and minicamp. In addition to Breer's praise, Panthers.com's Max Henson wrote Moore is "more than ready to contribute." Even with Devin Funchess, Greg Olsen, and Christian McCaffrey all vying for targets, Moore has the talent to make a fantasy impact as a rookie.

Source: MMQB

Jun 18 - 8:56 AM

Panthers.com's Max Henson writes first-round WR D.J. Moore "looked more than ready to contribute" during the offseason.

Devin Funchess, Greg Olsen, and Christian McCaffrey should handle the majority of the targets, but there will still be room for Moore to produce if he is ready. Every indication has been he is, and Henson believes the rookie's "unique" ability to create after the catch will be used "as much as possible." Moore is an upside target in the later rounds.

Source: panthers.com 

Jul 16 - 11:33 AM

Was able to get him in 2 rookie drafts over the last week. he is my #1 rookie WR by far and #4 rookie overall. 
Was able to land him at 1.9 and was thrilled.  I traded up from 1.11 and it cost a 4th.  I wanted to ensure myself Moore or Ridley (Ridley ending up sliding till 2.1)

Kirk went 10th, Miller 11th, Washington 12th, Gallup 14, Sutton 15.  Crazy year for rookie WR's

Users who are viewing this thread