Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft: WR D.J. Moore, Panthers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Panthers coach Matt Rhule wants D.J. Moore to be "that physical, dominant, go-to receiver."

It's the next step Rhule is looking forward to in his top receiver. Last season, Moore posted an 87-1,175-4 receiving line with the Panthers passing the ball the second-most times in the NFL. Another 135-target season for Moore is within the range of outcomes with Carolina hosting arguably the worst and youngest defenses in the NFL. To solidify Moore's standing as a top-12 fantasy receiver, Moore needs to be more than a zone beater with nice yards after the catch abilities. If he can beat man coverage at a higher clip in year three, the sky's the limit. Moore belongs in the Round 3 conversation in PPR leagues.

SOURCE: Joseph Person on Twitter

Aug 20, 2020, 7:13 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ponchsox said:

6 or so TDs would be nice 

I feel like 6+ tds is a lock.  He had 1 td through 11 weeks last year, basically didn’t play weeks 16-17 and still ended up with 4 for the season. Quality of target should improve as well.   I have him as a wr1 this year. 

Edited by Skeletore Eh

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

He's not top five.  Too many mouths to feed IMO.  The good thing is that the Carolina D will be historically bad.  

I don’t see all the mouths. CMC will get a ton, DJM will, Samuel had a disappointing offseason and I doubt anything is forced his way, and Ian Thomas seems to always be dealing with nagging or worse injuries. Teddy is going to be throwing a lot and I don’t see a reason not to project DJM to catch a ton of balls.

Edited by ConnSKINS26

20 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don’t see all the mouths. CMC will get a ton, DJM will, Samuel had a disappointing offseason and I doubt anything is forced his way, and Ian Thomas seems to always be dealing with nagging or worse injuries. Teddy is going to be throwing a lot and I don’t see a reason not to project DJM to catch a ton of balls.

Robby Anderson is there too. He played for Coach Rhule at Temple. Anyway, I think DJ will have a great year. It will be interesting to see what the Panthers offense looks like this season. 

21 minutes ago, simey said:

Robby Anderson is there too. He played for Coach Rhule at Temple. Anyway, I think DJ will have a great year. It will be interesting to see what the Panthers offense looks like this season. 

It will be the surprise offense of the year.  Their defense will be so bad it will make Winston's 2019 garbage time numbers look tame.

35 minutes ago, simey said:

I’ll be honest I briefly forgot about Anderson there, but to me he is more a role player to stretch the field then a target hog. It all rests on Bridgewater’s shoulders either way I guess

12 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Is this the new "passes the eye test?"  

I have to admit being biased as I watch the Panthers most weeks.  Moore looks pedestrian after seeing CMac carve up the field.  Moore may be a giant and I'm not seeing it with CMac towering over him.

2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

I have to admit being biased as I watch the Panthers most weeks.  Moore looks pedestrian after seeing CMac carve up the field.  Moore may be a giant and I'm not seeing it with CMac towering over him.

Haha, I live near Charlotte but the Titans are my team. But Moore looks absolutely the part to me. I think Teddys the perfect QB for him. I’m honestly expecting 1300+ yards this season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Haha, I live near Charlotte but the Titans are my team. But Moore looks absolutely the part to me. I think Teddys the perfect QB for him. I’m honestly expecting 1300+ yards this season. 

So good for number two on the team in Receiving yardage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

There are only 9 wr's in the history of the game that have more yards from scrimmage by the same age.  Thats with Kyle Allen throwing to him for a large part of it

• Like 1

Best bets to lead NFL in receiving yards: DJ Moore, A.J. Brown have elite upside

Excerpt:

DJ Moore (+2800)

Few players have started their career with as much promise as Moore. He finished ninth last year with 1,175 receiving yards, and his yards per game would have ranked fourth if not for an injury early in Week 16. It was a historic campaign nonetheless - his receiving yardage was the 14th-highest in a season in NFL history for a player before their 23rd birthday, cracking a list littered with current and future Hall of Famers.

The injury prematurely ended a torrid stretch for Moore, who'd amassed 711 receiving yards over his previous seven games - good for a ridiculous 1,625-yard pace. He did that despite unstable quarterback play, so his upside is even higher with Teddy Bridgewater manning Joe Brady's offense in Carolina. This might be the best price he sees for his entire career.

• 3 weeks later...

D.J. Moore caught 2-of-4 targets for 65 yards in the Panthers' Week 3 win against the Chargers. 

It was a relative dud for Moore after a hopeful Week 2 in which he was targeted 13 times, catching eight for 120 yards. The LA secondary looked determine to stop Moore, often shading coverage his way and leaving Robby Anderson open. Game script didn't force Carolina to be aggressive through the air against the Chargers. That likely won't be the case in Week 4 when Carolina takes on the Cardinals. 

Sep 27, 2020, 9:05 PM ET

Really thought Moore was a great value play this year and would build on a solid 2019 with being a key piece of this offense.

Seems the key is Robbie Anderson. Moore is getting about 7 points per game which is consistent involvement, but volume and spread between him, Anderson, and Samuel cap his upside.

Not sure I can trust putting him in every week -- even as a flex -- as upside seems limited.

Another guy I was wrong about coming into this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Really thought Moore was a great value play this year and would build on a solid 2019 with being a key piece of this offense.

Seems the key is Robbie Anderson. Moore is getting about 7 points per game which is consistent involvement, but volume and spread between him, Anderson, and Samuel cap his upside.

Not sure I can trust putting him in every week -- even as a flex -- as upside seems limited.

Another guy I was wrong about coming into this year.

I haven't watched the games yet, but I have to think Moore is a better all around receiver. Not sure why Anderson is way more invlovled. I'll have to watch some of Carolina's games this week.

16 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

I haven't watched the games yet, but I have to think Moore is a better all around receiver. Not sure why Anderson is way more invlovled. I'll have to watch some of Carolina's games this week.

It would make some sense to me if teams are doubling Moore and that is opening things up for Anderson.  Although I also haven’t seen enough to say.

Even if that were the case, there are a lot of WRs who get doubled and still produce. Just seems like Anderson is outplaying Moore.

1 minute ago, zamboni said:

It would make some sense to me if teams are doubling Moore and that is opening things up for Anderson.  Although I also haven’t seen enough to say.

Even if that were the case, there are a lot of WRs who get doubled and still produce. Just seems like Anderson is outplaying Moore.

Like I said, I'll have to watch the game rewind. I'm not sure what's going on there. I can say fairly confidently that Samuel is not playing better than Moore but he's even getting close to as many opportunities.

Panthers' D.J. Moore: Season low in receiving

Moore caught four of his six targets for 49 receiving yards during Sunday's 31-21 win against the Cardinals.

The Maryland product enjoyed a lucrative Week 2 outing against Tampa Bay, racking up eight catches for 120 yards on his 13 targets. In Moore's other three appearances of 2020, however, the 23-year-old wideout has accumulated 3.3 catches and 56 receiving yards per contest -- certainly not pedestrian production in the fantasy realm, but averages that would land him well short from his 87-catch, 1,175-yard campaign of 2019. Moore's next matchup offers a "get right" opportunity, as he faces a banged-up Falcons defense that entered Week 4 allowing the second-highest total of WR receiving yards (736).

So I went back and watched Carolina's last 2 games against the LAC and Arizona. Moore and Anderson both are playing well really. Their usage is pretty strange to me though. Moore is very much known as a good after the catch receiver, but hasn't helped himself by dropping a few easy opportunities; maybe why Anderson gets most of the designed plays for a receiver to run. He's running a bunch of crossing routes. I would never think to use him in this way, having thought of Anderson as a more of a deep threat. But to be fair he has taken advantage. For Moore, this is quite the opposite of last year where Samuel ran down field so he could get the intermediate and underneath looks.

I don't see why their roles would change if Anderson keeps doing well. With Bridgewater under center, this is not great for Moore. Teddy would much rather throw short over the middle than sling it outside the numbers. He's not close to a timing, anticipation passer. Moore has been wide open several times on deep comebacks without his quarterback looking his way. He has caught some deep balls over the top, but I do not want to hang my hat on those types of plays in a ppr league.

I'm not seeing Moore putting up WR1 numbers the rest of this year in Carolina; he's more of a WR2. A solid 9.0 yard per target is good, but catching 56% of them is not so good. Again, this is less than ideal in a ppr league. McCaffrey's return will not help the situation either, especially in the TD department where Moore has exactly 0. Beyond this year, I sincerely hope Moore does not tie himself long term to an offense with Bridgewater, or McCaffrey commanded by Rhule. I still say he's a special talent who belongs in an offense where he can be a focal point. It is what it is for now though.

Edited by cloppbeast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/6/2020 at 11:35 AM, cloppbeast said:

So I went back and watched Carolina's last 2 games against the LAC and Arizona. Moore and Anderson both are playing well really. Their usage is pretty strange to me though. Moore is very much known as a good after the catch receiver, but hasn't helped himself by dropping a few easy opportunities; maybe why Anderson gets most of the designed plays for a receiver to run. He's running a bunch of crossing routes. I would never think to use him in this way, having thought of Anderson as a more of a deep threat. But to be fair he has taken advantage. For Moore, this is quite the opposite of last year where Samuel ran down field so he could get the intermediate and underneath looks.

I don't see why their roles would change if Anderson keeps doing well. With Bridgewater under center, this is not great for Moore. Teddy would much rather throw short over the middle than sling it outside the numbers. He's not close to a timing, anticipation passer. Moore has been wide open several times on deep comebacks without his quarterback looking his way. He has caught some deep balls over the top, but I do not want to hang my hat on those types of plays in a ppr league.

I'm not seeing Moore putting up WR1 numbers the rest of this year in Carolina; he's more of a WR2. A solid 9.0 yard per target is good, but catching 56% of them is not so good. Again, this is less than ideal in a ppr league. McCaffrey's return will not help the situation either, especially in the TD department where Moore has exactly 0. Beyond this year, I sincerely hope Moore does not tie himself long term to an offense with Bridgewater, or McCaffrey commanded by Rhule. I still say he's a special talent who belongs in an offense where he can be a focal point. It is what it is for now though.

This is spot on. I only have Moore in one league and I'm holding because I can't see getting fair value for him, but I'm not too hopeful for the remainder of the season. He broke a long TD to put up good numbers this week, and he has a high-target game, but I don't see him being fed with the current approach. In fairness what CAR is doing right now is working so why change it? It seems like Bridgewater will be more than a short term solution at QB (especially with the team surprising/not looking at a top pick). Maybe they change things next year or injuries cause some reshuffling sooner. But he feels a little stuck to me right now. 

D.J. Moore caught 5-of-11 targets for 93 yards in the Panthers' Week 6 loss to the Bears. 

This makes it back to back weeks for Moore securing 93 yards in the air. It should have been more, as D.J. created plenty of separation on a vital 4th and 2 conversion, but Teddy Bridgewater simply missed him. While that was not his fault, Moore also claimed a couple of drops throughout the game. While Robby Anderson remains a significant piece of the offense, Moore is starting to secure his spot as a WR2 moving forward. The Panthers take on the Saints in Week 7.

Oct 18, 2020, 5:44 PM ET

On 10/6/2020 at 8:35 AM, cloppbeast said:

I, too, think this take was spot on all the way around.

Moore dropped at least one if not more catchable balls he should have reeled in. This has been a consistent issue all year, and with more happening in this game, it's a persistent problem that hampers both his productivity and any hope of changing Anderson as the cemented #1 and first look. 

In my system (2/3 PR), Moore is averaging 12.4 points per game which isn't terrible, it just has some wide variance that makes him less dependable. With that average, and an average a hair shy of 16 PPG in my league system, I'll be looking to ship Moore off of this game for a more consistent reception target and ball catcher.

Who do you see as a potential upgrade if you were trading Moore -- someone who will net more targets and get more with them.

Is Kupp out? Terry McLaurin? Sanders or Boyd maybe more realistic?

How about cross-position at RB? David Johnson? Gaskin? Who do you think is an upgrade and attainable?

I’m a little more encouraged after consecutive good games. He’s not the clear top target I was expecting and I’m really surprised by the continued drops. 

If you’re selling in redraft I could see trying to move him though I’m not sure how you can get more than a lateral move (but I don’t play in redraft any more). 

In dynasty I still have a high value on him. I think this season may continue to be uneven and I remain a little concerned about his ceiling with Bridgewater. But he’s young, has a track record of production, and his athleticism still jumps out to me. Maybe he’s just pressing. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

Who writes the Rotoworld blurbs?  They are soooooo bad now.  Moore flat out dropped a TD pass, and while Teddy overthrew Moore, he secured it with one hand, tucked it into his belly, and let it slip out.  That's a drop.  If you are able to pull it into your body and you don't secure it that's on you.  I own Moore in 3/6 dynasty leagues so i'm not being a homer for Teddy.  I was starting both together in a league and those two DROPS cost me big.  Teddy had a bad game against a really good defense (threw four TD's on them last year) , but the poster that said he can't throw guys open or anticipate throws is clueless. 

I'm not panicking on Moore.  I bought him for two 1st last week.  Young, talented, and isn't going anywhere.  Joe Brady is going to want it to be balanced between Moore and Anderson, and CMC will draw more attention to the LOS than Mike Davis.

Edited by BINGBING

21 minutes ago, BINGBING said:

Who writes the Rotoworld blurbs?  They are soooooo bad now.  Moore flat out dropped a TD pass, and while Teddy overthrew Moore, he secured it with one hand, tucked it into his belly, and let it slip out.  That's a drop.  If you are able to pull it into your body and you don't secure it that's on you.  I own Moore in 3/6 dynasty leagues so i'm not being a homer for Teddy.  I was starting both together in a league and those two DROPS cost me big.  Teddy had a bad game against a really good defense (threw four TD's on them last year) , but the poster that said he can't throw guys open or anticipate throws is clueless. 

I'm not panicking on Moore.  I bought him for two 1st last week.  Young, talented, and isn't going anywhere.  Joe Brady is going to want it to be balanced between Moore and Anderson, and CMC will draw more attention to the LOS than Mike Davis.

He had to spin around the other direction and pull it in with one hand while falling down. No way that’s a drop imo. It looked to me like Teddy lobbed it over the wrong shoulder and a well thrown ball is a TD

1 hour ago, BINGBING said:

More on the side of @Ilov80s on this one -- that wasn't a gimme catch. While it looked like he could have hung on to the ball, it was a one-hander to begin with (never a sure thing) and he was twisting/falling to the ground in a way where the impact shook any handle may have had loose. Yes, that could have been thrown much better, and yes, Moore had a shot, but can't fault him for that not being a catch.

He had a much clearer drop later on, IIRC, where Teddy hit him perfectly and it kind of went through his hands. That for sure is on him, and I hate to see it continue. 

11 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

More on the side of @Ilov80s on this one -- that wasn't a gimme catch. While it looked like he could have hung on to the ball, it was a one-hander to begin with (never a sure thing) and he was twisting/falling to the ground in a way where the impact shook any handle may have had loose. Yes, that could have been thrown much better, and yes, Moore had a shot, but can't fault him for that not being a catch.

He had a much clearer drop later on, IIRC, where Teddy hit him perfectly and it kind of went through his hands. That for sure is on him, and I hate to see it continue. 

But he's posted 58,000 times on a fantasy football message board, so he knows that Moore ran the right route, even though throwing to the sideline seemed like what was expected to be run, and completely makes sense in that scenario.  He still dropped a TD that hit him in the numbers.  The rotoworld blurb was inaccurate as usual, which is my point.  The Panthers have run a FB dive on 4th and 1 in week 1 with the game on the line with CMC available, and threw a 30 yard pass on 4th and 2 with the game on the line this week.

7 hours ago, BINGBING said:

But he's posted 58,000 times on a fantasy football message board, so he knows that Moore ran the right route, even though throwing to the sideline seemed like what was expected to be run, and completely makes sense in that scenario.  He still dropped a TD that hit him in the numbers.  The rotoworld blurb was inaccurate as usual, which is my point.  The Panthers have run a FB dive on 4th and 1 in week 1 with the game on the line with CMC available, and threw a 30 yard pass on 4th and 2 with the game on the line this week.

We disagree on the level of difficulty of the catch and neither of us knows where exactly Moore was supposed to be on the route. As for the RW blurbs, they are written by CD Carter, Pat Daugherty, Hayden Winks and John Daigle. Each guy gets a certain number of games and writes the blurbs for the games they were assigned to watch.

I agree that Anderson looks like the safer weekly play in ppr, especially if Moore continues to struggle with efficiency/drops. That said, I could also see this becoming a situation where they are essentially the WR1a/1b and one marginally outproduces the other in any given week. They've been converging around that the past few weeks (obviously very small sample size). That's not what people (like me) who were really high on Moore had in mind. But maybe not the doom and gloom scenario that the fist few weeks looked like.  

Anderson

week 6: 4-77-0 on 5 targets

week 5: 8-112-0 on 12 targets

week 4: 8-99-0 on 11 targets

Moore:

week 6: 5-93-0 on 11 targets

week 5: 4-93-1 on 5 targets

week 4: 4-49-0 on 6 targets

18 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I, too, think this take was spot on all the way around.

Moore dropped at least one if not more catchable balls he should have reeled in. This has been a consistent issue all year, and with more happening in this game, it's a persistent problem that hampers both his productivity and any hope of changing Anderson as the cemented #1 and first look. 

In my system (2/3 PR), Moore is averaging 12.4 points per game which isn't terrible, it just has some wide variance that makes him less dependable. With that average, and an average a hair shy of 16 PPG in my league system, I'll be looking to ship Moore off of this game for a more consistent reception target and ball catcher.

Who do you see as a potential upgrade if you were trading Moore -- someone who will net more targets and get more with them.

Is Kupp out? Terry McLaurin? Sanders or Boyd maybe more realistic?

How about cross-position at RB? David Johnson? Gaskin? Who do you think is an upgrade and attainable?

Dynasty I think he is a hold, would not advise selling.  In theory I would trade Moore for some older receivers, but nobody would give up D Hopkins or M Thomas. The guys around his value are all older and producing about the same. Example: keeptradecut.com has T Lockett and A Robinson pretty close to Moore while they have similar stats at ages 27+.

In redraft there's a lot of guys in that WR2 range where its pretty much take your pick: A Robinson, T Lockett, D Moore, T McClaurin, C Kupp, T Boyd, R Woods, J Smith-Schuster. I don't see much difference between any of those fellas. You might be better off moving him for a rb since you can never have too many. D Swift or D Singletary would be interesting. I don't know about M Gaskin though; he makes me nervous.