What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR D.J. Moore, CHI (1 Viewer)

D.J. Moore caught 6-of-8 targets for 131 yards in Week 15 against the Packers.

Moore was the leading receiver in this game despite two players seeing more targets. His highlight was an early 40-yard lofted pass along the left sideline, where Teddy Bridgewater asked Moore to win in the air against two defensive backs and the receiver accepted the challenge. This was actually Moore's first game since Week 12, as he missed Week 14 while being on the COVID-19 list following the team's bye week. Still, Moore now has four straight games of at least 61 yards and eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark on the season.

Dec 20, 2020, 12:03 AM ET

D.J. Moore caught 5-of-10 targets for 37 yards in Carolina's Week 16 win against Washington.

Teddy Bridgewater, who wasn't afforded much time behind third-string LT Michael Schofield, also missed Moore running wide open for a touchdown at one point. It's still encouraging for Moore that he's seen at least eight targets in four consecutive games with a stint on the team's COVID list sandwiched in between. He'll need 84 receiving yards against New Orleans in the regular season finale to set a new career-high in only his third year with the Panthers.

Dec 28, 2020, 6:34 AM ET

He needs a new QB...Teddy is very limited....if he gets a decent one his value will go way higher....may be a good time to buy low as there is a lot of negativity about him this yr
It’s strange how things evolve. With his RAC ability, Moore was supposed to really eat this year with Robby expected to be the field stretcher he was with the Jets.

Yet it’s turned out to be basically the opposite - perhaps due to Rhule and Teddy’s familiarity with Robby.

IMO it’s a testament to Moore’s ability that even in this uneven year for him, he’s only about 80 yards shy of his yardage total from last year. Receptions are way down due to Robby siphoning targets and Moore’s own drop issues.

As for next year, I also hope they bring in someone else, but unless they decide to go QB in the first round, it’ll be another year of Teddy (who they did give a pretty big contract to).

Last edited by a moderator:
He needs a new QB...Teddy is very limited....if he gets a decent one his value will go way higher....may be a good time to buy low as there is a lot of negativity about him this yr
x10000000

Teddy has missed him countless times this year when he had nobody around him at all. I would buy DJ on the cheap and pray Bridge goes away.

How is he going to come cheap after he just finished top 10 in yards as a 23 year old?
Maybe not that cheap, but I doubt many see him as a top-10 fantasy receiver. He finished as a WR2 in most 10 team standard scoring formats. I think with better QB play he can really take off.

I think he may come at a discount in some leagues, just because of perceptions that he fell well short of the preseason hype that he would ascend as a top 5-type dynasty WR this year. That didn't happen, but the trajectory still seems there. Anderson's proximity in production plays in too, as he was widely regarded as more of a role player before this season. It all depends on your trading partners of course, but Moore was a subject of persistent frustration all season, even though his numbers we better than perceived.

I think he may come at a discount in some leagues, just because of perceptions that he fell well short of the preseason hype that he would ascend as a top 5-type dynasty WR this year. That didn't happen, but the trajectory still seems there. Anderson's proximity in production plays in too, as he was widely regarded as more of a role player before this season. It all depends on your trading partners of course, but Moore was a subject of persistent frustration all season, even though his numbers we better than perceived.
I remember preseason talk calling for regression for Moore due to a change in coaching/offensive philosophy.

The frustration was more for what could have been...  Settling for a good game when a missed opportunity cost you a great one.     A little up and down, but relative to his peers, he was solid.  I don't see much of a discount at his age or track record.  In fact, his value could jump if they go QB in the draft.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Had McCaffrey not been hurt most of the year, IMO Moore’s numbers would have been worse due to targets going C-Mac’s way. As mentioned, I think DJ’s numbers only go up with a QB change. Samuel possibly departing via FA may also help.

Had McCaffrey not been hurt most of the year, IMO Moore’s numbers would have been worse due to targets going C-Mac’s way. As mentioned, I think DJ’s numbers only go up with a QB change. Samuel possibly departing via FA may also help.
I considered the absence of CMC but it is hard to gauge the impact.  Does McCaffrey force teams to defend them differently, improve the offense, extend drives and provide more opportunities? One would think that, after a injury plagued season, they would reduce CMC's touches some  (he had huge volumes).  

Looking back at this past season, it is interesting to note that the Panthers had three receivers in the top 25 or so.

Panthers exercised WR D.J. Moore's fifth-year option for 2022.

Inevitable. Moore, who has eclipsed 1,000 receiving yards in back-to-back seasons despite experiencing some turbulence under center, will make $11.1 million in 2022. The Panthers are still expected to remain in the market for another receiver since Robby Anderson is on the final year of his contract, but it would not be surprising if the team attempts to negotiate a multi-year deal with Moore beginning next offseason.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 29, 2021, 9:07 AM ET

Big night for D Moore's value.....if Car goes QB or OL should get a bump....they go WR and its a big hit.....

Big night for D Moore's value.....if Car goes QB or OL should get a bump....they go WR and its a big hit.....
I don’t see how them taking a WR hits his value. Anderson’s contract is up after this year. I doubt Moore is going anywhere. 

I don’t see how them taking a WR hits his value. Anderson’s contract is up after this year. I doubt Moore is going anywhere. 
It may have been more of a Teddy issue but DJ was overlooked many times for Samuel.....him leaving opens up a lot of targets and lessens the impact of CMC IMO....DJ is definitely there to stay but Id rather not have him competing with a new WR for catches....invest in OL as Sam has shown to be very shaky when under pressure.  

It may have been more of a Teddy issue but DJ was overlooked many times for Samuel.....him leaving opens up a lot of targets and lessens the impact of CMC IMO....DJ is definitely there to stay but Id rather not have him competing with a new WR for catches....invest in OL as Sam has shown to be very shaky when under pressure.  
In fact, I think there is a good chance he sees a boost in targets with Darnold.  Darnold sure peppered Crowder with targets in the slot.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

Who is most likely to improve upon his 2020: DJ Moore or Robby Anderson?

Moore, particularly when it comes to scoring in the red zone. He had only four receiving touchdowns last season. Look for that to at least double. Anderson thrived as a possession receiver last season. Some of his production is likely to go to rookie wideout Terrace Marshall Jr. and running back Christian McCaffrey. -- David Newton

D.J. Moore caught 6-of-8 targets for 80 receiving yards in the Panthers' Week 1 win over the Jets, adding a rush for 14 additional yards.

Moore was second to Christian McCaffrey in targets on the day, showing a good connection with Sam Darnold. He was used deep downfield but also set up for yards-after-catch plays, even taking an end-around rush. Moore can be started confidently in the Panthers Week 2 matchup with the Saints.

D.J. Moore caught 8-of-12 targets for 126 yards in the Panthers' Week 3 win over the Texans. 

This was the blowup Moore hinted at in Weeks 1 and 2 and it still could have been much bigger. He was sitting on 6/100 just minutes into the second quarter. Sam Darnold missed him on a potential 51-yard touchdown in the second half, while he also missed a goal line sequence after getting his leg twisted up. Thankfully he was fine after some time on the stationary bike. Doing work at every level of the field, Moore has now out-targeted Robby Anderson 31-12 through the Panthers' first three games, leaving no doubt who Darnold's first read is. Moore now has 10 days to rest up for a guaranteed shootout with the Cowboys, who may try to slow him with ascending CB Trevon Diggs. That will not stop Moore for easily checking into the top 12 at receiver. 

Sep 23, 2021, 11:20 PM ET

So now how do we evaluate the CMC, Jaycee Horn injuries impacting DJ? Here's my 3 thoughts.

First, more targets have to go elsewhere, DJ has some routes near the line of scrimmage at times. He should see more usage. That's Good.

Secondly, I mention Jaycee Horn injury because it does downgrade Panthers D. A DST where a Rookie QB and Brandon Cooks were having way more success than I expected. I think the Panther's DST might be overinflated due to their soft early schedule and even if the DST was not inflated, the loss of Horn might make the Panthers secondary even more suceptible to the opponent's passing game in the future. Leading to Panther's gamescript where they might get into more shootout type of games? That's Good.

And lastly I was concerned, maybe the targets aren't as efficient on the CMC less retooled offense? - watching the game, Moore got a lot of his yards in the first half then, CMC injury really kind of put a shock on the team and things were not as smooth. Which makes sense, it basically made them have to change the gameplan and thats adversity. What was encouraging though, was in the second half they made a big shot to Moore and it was only slightly off, in the future they will connect and they might need to since shoot outs are more likely with the weakened DST. 

TLDR: Moore got better

D.J. Moore caught 8-of-12 targets for 113 yards and two touchdowns and a rush for 6 yards in Week 4 against the Cowboys.

Moore's two touchdowns while CB Trevon Diggs (back) was sidelined in garbage time against Dallas shouldn't overshadow the former's 12 targets in back-to-back games, leading the team with a 30.7% target share from Sam Darnold. He was also stopped at the one-yard line on a target inside the 10 during Carolina's second possession, setting up the first of Sam Darnold's two rushing scores on the day. With double-digit targets in three consecutive games, Moore's volume is in no danger of disappearing any time soon — especially with Christian McCaffrey (hamstring) sidelined for the next 2-3 games. Moore will again rank as a low-end WR1 in Week 5 against the Eagles.

Well, now I am only slightly less bummed to have missed Kupp by 1 pick. "settling" for Moore has been tremendous so far. 16.3, 22.4, 23.2 & 34.5 with 3 TDs.

I can't complain at all about that sort of consistency. Seems like every year the WR I pick to be my #2 ends up my #1. Last year Ridley was my 4th round WR2.  This year I picked Ridley 3.01 and Moore 4.12. Weird. 

Moore is my new mancrush though. :wub:

Well, now I am only slightly less bummed to have missed Kupp by 1 pick. "settling" for Moore has been tremendous so far. 16.3, 22.4, 23.2 & 34.5 with 3 TDs.

I can't complain at all about that sort of consistency. Seems like every year the WR I pick to be my #2 ends up my #1. Last year Ridley was my 4th round WR2.  This year I picked Ridley 3.01 and Moore 4.12. Weird. 

I would like to reiterate the bolded. I am with you on this. He looks so fluid out there and should continue to see higher usage with no CMC. 

Going into the season I thought my WR's of Kupp and Moore were going to be the downfall of my team, now it is looking like the strength. 

I would like to reiterate the bolded. I am with you on this. He looks so fluid out there and should continue to see higher usage with no CMC. 

Going into the season I thought my WR's of Kupp and Moore were going to be the downfall of my team, now it is looking like the strength. 
I knew he would be a target monster, but seeing him get the touchdowns puts him over the top as a locked and loaded WR1 this year.

I have CMC as well, so I’m certainly hoping he keeps this up after McCaffrey comes back

That's funny. Last year I actually picked Moore as my WR1 (after getting Kamara and AJones in the first two rounds). That wouldn't have worked out very well for me, except that a few weeks in I packaged him and Swift for AJ Brown.

This year, drafted him as my WR2 and have been very happy. I guess that so far he's outperformed my WR1 (Metcalf) but I don't necessarily see that lasting all season.

I knew he would be a target monster, but seeing him get the touchdowns puts him over the top as a locked and loaded WR1 this year.
He was definitely due for some positive regression in that department

I have CMC as well, so I’m certainly hoping he keeps this up after McCaffrey comes back
 Based on the first half of that Houston game (which, granted, Houston) they had a really nice thing going where they would use the threat of play-action to CMC to open up opportunities for Moore down the field.

I think the bigger threat to Moore's production is if the coaches remember that Anderson is still on the roster

Rough last 4 weeks after great first 4 weeks, he has the targets but Darnold is sucking. He had a pretty could have been TD this past week, but couldn't hold onto the ball when he hit the ground. Do you think it will get better when CMC comes back? Any correlation with Darnold being bad because CMC isn't back there? I don't watch enough Panthers game to know. 

Rough last 4 weeks after great first 4 weeks, he has the targets but Darnold is sucking. He had a pretty could have been TD this past week, but couldn't hold onto the ball when he hit the ground. Do you think it will get better when CMC comes back? Any correlation with Darnold being bad because CMC isn't back there? I don't watch enough Panthers game to know. 
I think having CMC back can only help. Probably a lot of correlation to Darnold's struggles(Darnold is a bad QB in general) as dump offs to CMC extend drives often. Darnold had a quote early this season, saying the difference between Carolina and NY was he always felt he had to make a big play in NY, and with CMC, checking down can be the big play. 

i been watching R Anderson and it's the same. targets are there in the stat lines, but hardly any catches. in the three games i watched, the ball seems to be getting to the receivers, all receivers, but the amount of obvious dropsies for all CAR receivers is very apparent. From my untrained eyes the problem really isn't Darnold, though it does look like the timing just isn't there with any receiver for Darnold. Moore looked like he was the guy to start the season, but it's painful watching this team's passing game.

I don't know how getting CMC back would fix this, it would just force Darnold to pass to CMC 90% of the time. so status quo? I feel like Moore still has a chance to be a regular WR2/3 type though. he's getting good looks. if i had him, I'd keep using him as my WR3/4 I think. with anderson, not so much.

Timmay said:
After 4 weeks only 2 WR's were top 4 in targets, receptions, yards, and fantasy points.  Kupp is one, and Moore is the other.  Moore's targets have dropped from 43 to 38 if you separate his first 4 from his last 4.  To me, the small decline is nothing to worry about, because his target share has actually increased.  The largest decline has been his catch percentage.  First 4 was 70% (30/43), and the second 4 dropped (pun intended) to 53% (20/38).  My guess is he will improve on his catch %, but probably not too much.  A few TD's in the last 4 games and I doubt people would've seen the drop in catch %.

Sure, it would be nice to have someone else throwing to him, but just remember, Darnold has been the starter all season, and Darnold knows who to throw the ball to.  I will only worry if the targets disappear.  He will be fine ROS, and I will start him with confidence every week.

D.J. Moore caught 3-of-7 targets for 32 yards in the Panthers' Week 9 loss to the Patriots, adding two carries for 14 additional yards. 

The receiving yards were a new season-low for Carolina's would-be superstar wideout, who is simply being killed by Sam Darnold's awful play. There was also a scary moment in the second half where Darnold led Moore directly into a brutal ribs shot. Thankfully Moore was able to shake it off and return without an injury designation. Moore is now averaging 56 yards over his past five contests, a span in which Darnold has accounted for zero touchdowns and a gaggle of turnovers. We aren't sure what Moore is supposed to do when Darnold is doing things like tossing the ball directly to linebackers. The Cardinals' feisty pass defense is on tap for Week 10, rendering Moore a borderline WR2/3 as fantasy managers wait for Carolina to make the switch from Darnold to P.J. Walker. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

I am this week.  Luckily I have Godwin, Diontae and Pittman, along with Lockett.  Really thought he’d turned a corner, and was going to be a WR 1, but their qb situation (Darnold) is brutal.  Maybe the new qb jumpstarts the offense, but I’ll need to see it for a week or two. 

I'm starting him in my flex only because Montgomery is on a bye and Damian Harris is nursing a concussion. Starting Kupp and Pittman at WR. I'm hoping Walker focuses on him, but I have a feeling it will be a lot of CMC getting the passes. 

I’m on the bubble. May put Cordarelle in his spot if Ingram gets the start. Still a lot of moving pieces this week. 

One last time mainly because I have little better in the way of choices. Hoping the new QB and CM's presence help somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread