What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Michael Gallup Puns Galore (3 Viewers)

That spider chart doesn't look good but his numbers are more than adequate.  36" vert and over 10' broad jump with a sub 7 3-cone drill are pretty solid.  Has more than enough to not raise any red flags along with a 4.51 40 time.

From this year, Kirk is a pretty explosive player and his looks even worse.

And, of course, there's Antonio Brown

In other words, that spider chart is pretty worthless, IMO.

That spider chart doesn't look good but his numbers are more than adequate.  36" vert and over 10' broad jump with a sub 7 3-cone drill are pretty solid.  Has more than enough to not raise any red flags along with a 4.51 40 time.

I think it's a tool, not the be all and end all.

By showing the one clear example of a star WR with a bad MockDraftable chart in Antonio Brown, you are showing the exception that proves the rule. If you also showed past top WR superstars like Dez, Calvin, Julio, AJ Green, Fitz, GordonSteve Smith, and so on, you would demonstrate pretty clearly that having elite metrics (and subsequently an impressive MockDraftable profile) matters, and matters a lot. Even a slot guy like Julian Edelman shows a lot in his chart. P.S. D.J. Moore looks pretty good. 

I’m taking Gallup when I can. I was a Big fan before the draft and now I’m a HUGE fan. I think he has the tools and will prove to be a true WR1.

Tex

By showing the one clear example of a star WR with a bad MockDraftable chart in Antonio Brown, you are showing the exception that proves the rule. If you also showed past top WR superstars like Dez, Calvin, Julio, AJ Green, Fitz, GordonSteve Smith, and so on, you would demonstrate pretty clearly that having elite metrics (and subsequently an impressive MockDraftable profile) matters, and matters a lot. Even a slot guy like Julian Edelman shows a lot in his chart. P.S. D.J. Moore looks pretty good. 
I think @massraider said it best that it's a tool. I shouldn't have been so dismissive of the chart itself. There's no doubt that some of the top WRs have elite spider charts. But, I honestly didn't look for many.  In fact, Brown was the first and only one I looked at. Hopkins is another guy with a poor chart. Or Jordy.  And I'm sure there are others.

Similarly, there are some freaks that are awful WRs (DHB, Stephen Hill among others showing up as comps on Julio's page). 

Bottomline is that it's worth noting if a WR you like has poor measurables. And it's not a guarantee that a great spider chart will equal greatness. I was more trying to point out that his actual numbers are decent (10'2" broad, 36" vert, 4.51 speed, sub 7 second 3-cone) even though it doesn't look like it on the spider chart. It's not a death sentence for him if you like him, IMO.  And Moore does get a little bonus for his. I just think it's a tool to be taken with a grain of salt. 

That's exactly what I was thinking about Smith in NO. If we're saying that the great situation is what is (for some) elevating Gallup above Miller, despite being drafted a round later, then we need to be talking about Smith as well.
I think the difference is that Gallup had a lot more pre-draft hype than Smith, and that carries over for a lot of people.

The same reason that ESB will regularly be drafted ahead of the other two WRs that were drafted early to his own team.

Is there any actual data on how correlated it is?

My worry would be it essentially looks like a graphical representation of Sparq score, and Sparq's own creator measured that Sparq is terribly unpredictive of NFL WR success.

I think it matters, but you’re also comparing 1st rd picks that have had success. There’s also the devante Parker’s, Patterson’s, DHB, perriman, etc that can also be hand picked as good charts that didn’t pan out. I don’t think it’s to be ignored, but I don’t think it’s an overall indicator. Like the site and how it’s presented. 

It does confirm one belief, Kerryon Johnson has long arms. 

The other problem I have with th charts is that they aren’t all consistent with their metrics.  Some show 3-cone and some have it replaced with short shuttle, etc..  some have 6 metrics , others have 10-12.  Since players are missing some stats it looks like they just populate it with whatever stats they have available.  Not really apples to apples  

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it matters, but you’re also comparing 1st rd picks that have had success. There’s also the devante Parker’s, Patterson’s, DHB, perriman, etc that can also be hand picked as good charts that didn’t pan out. I don’t think it’s to be ignored, but I don’t think it’s an overall indicator. Like the site and how it’s presented. 

It does confirm one belief, Kerryon Johnson has long arms. 
I agree that it is not an overall indicator, but useful for weeding out players, at least for me. If I miss out on a 6th round pick with poor metrics that becomes Antonio Brown every decade or so, I can live with that. 

My point (which is pretty simplistic) is that the vast majority (95%+ as a pure guess) of historically elite wide receivers had elite metrics in some form or fashion, while a mere handful of elite WRs had poor metrics yet became elite, which makes the tool useful. 

You are correct that I did not mention wide receivers with elite metrics that busted but I also did not mention the many more hundreds of wide receivers with awful metrics that also busted, which would be the apt comparison when discussing how useful the tool is.

I agree that it is not an overall indicator, but useful for weeding out players, at least for me. If I miss out on a 6th round pick with poor metrics that becomes Antonio Brown every decade or so, I can live with that. 

My point (which is pretty simplistic) is that the vast majority (95%+ as a pure guess) of historically elite wide receivers had elite metrics in some form or fashion, while a mere handful of elite WRs had poor metrics yet became elite, which makes the tool useful. 

You are correct that I did not mention wide receivers with elite metrics that busted but I also did not mention the many more hundreds of wide receivers with awful metrics that also busted, which would be the apt comparison when discussing how useful the tool is.
Maybe I need to go upthread, but I don’t think anyone is comparing Gallup to prime 1st rd talent. The guys you list are top picks in their fantasy drafts, not 2nd rd Guys. He’s in a prime spot to get opportunity because the depth chart kind of sucks. I won’t hate on someone liking him as the best wr in a weak class, but I probably take Moore if given the option. I certainly won’t avoid him because Dallas “will certainly add a prime wr next year.” They were certain to do it this year, and now we have Gallup.

Edit: WR2 in ATL >>> WR2 in Dallas. 
I don't think this is necessarily true. There are several factors for WR that matter, but the primary two are quantity of targets and quality of targets. Dak threw the ball 490 times last year and Ryan threw it 529. I could be wrong, but I expect the upward trend to continue for Dak just as it did Wilson. Outside of one fluke season, Ryan has not been that impressive. Dak could easily surpass him in efficiency. Julio is a known top talent. Dallas' 2019 WR1 that you presume is coming is a total unknown and may never even exist. Like I said, your logic is solid there, but things change fast in the NFL. I'd say there's at least a 30% chance they don't bring in a true WR1 for 2019 and a 99% chance they don't bring in someone as good as Julio. So Julio will still be commanding targets in ATL while this unknown guy will probably not command as many, leaving more for the Dallas WR2 and less for the ATL WR2. I also believe Sanu >> Terrance Williams. 

I've seen a study before that shows there's no correlation between combine metrics and WR success. So you are correct, that chart is worthless.

That being said, if a guy is on an extreme end of the chart, I think it is notable. Gallup is not on an extreme end, so I think we can safely move on to more pertinent evaluations of his talent.

Is there any actual data on how correlated it is?

My worry would be it essentially looks like a graphical representation of Sparq score, and Sparq's own creator measured that Sparq is terribly unpredictive of NFL WR success.
I saw a breakdown of each combine measurement and how it correlated to NFL success. I can't remember which ones, but for RBs some of them had a decent positive correlation (none were overwhelming) and some of them did not. But for WRs, none of them had any correlation to success.

I'm still wary of any WR that runs a 4.7 and a little more intrigued by one that runs a 4.4, but for the most part I ignore those numbers and focus on things like breakout age and college dominator rating. Matt Harmon's reception perception is also a great resource. 

Is anyone taking into consideration Miller being 24 in Oct and Gallup just having turned 22? I really don't know how to weigh that, along with situation, perceived ceiling, competition for targets, etc. 

And then I find myself wondering, should we be talking about Tre'quan Smith in the same area of rookie drafts, given the fit with Brees and playing across from MT? And also being a 3rd round pick like Gallup?
Age is a consideration, for sure.  

Your above example, the age thing that jumps out to me is Brees' age (and no first rounder next year) vs. Trubisky's age.  

I have Gallup as my WR3 behind Ridley and Moore.  I kind of like Ridley as 1, but I love what Moore can do with the ball in his hands to give him the nudge as my #1.

Moore
Ridley
Gallup
Miller
Washington are my top 5

I think @massraider said it best that it's a tool. I shouldn't have been so dismissive of the chart itself. There's no doubt that some of the top WRs have elite spider charts. But, I honestly didn't look for many.  In fact, Brown was the first and only one I looked at. Hopkins is another guy with a poor chart. Or Jordy.  And I'm sure there are others.

Similarly, there are some freaks that are awful WRs (DHB, Stephen Hill among others showing up as comps on Julio's page). 

Bottomline is that it's worth noting if a WR you like has poor measurables. And it's not a guarantee that a great spider chart will equal greatness. I was more trying to point out that his actual numbers are decent (10'2" broad, 36" vert, 4.51 speed, sub 7 second 3-cone) even though it doesn't look like it on the spider chart. It's not a death sentence for him if you like him, IMO.  And Moore does get a little bonus for his. I just think it's a tool to be taken with a grain of salt. 
1000%.  His numbers are not so terrible that is would be crazy if he becomes their #1.  Stefon Diggs:  https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/stefon-diggs

He has more potential WR1 size than most of the rest of the top WR.  Ridley is shorter and lighter, Moore is shorter, Kirk is 5'100, it's a stretch to project him as a WR1 for a team.  

By the way:  Calvin Ridley  

He could be what baldwin is for Seattle. Maybe a better fit as a number 2 but until they find a number 1 he could end up de facto wr1.

I'm rather low on gallup.  Great numbers but when you watch the video i dont see a whole lot of contested plays nor much that really jumps out at me compared to other receiver highlight reels in this draft.  I do see a mobile qb scrambling to buy time a lot of the time and with him getting open because of that then throwing to him and hitting him in stride while on the run, or him catching passes while left wide open by shoddy Ds,  things like that.  Factor in questionable qb play in Dallas (ie. if a talent like Dez couldnt excel what are the odds Gallup does?) and its a pass for me.  If I'm going to look for a sleeper wr it'll be one or both of Baltimore's receivers, Scott/Lasley, both of whom could be had more cheaply. Similar athleticism and college success with them, and their highlights are both pretty impressive to me as well.

I'm low on gallup.  Great numbers but when you watch the video i dont see a whole lot of contested plays nor much that really jumps out at me compared to other receiver highlight reels in this draft.  I do see a mobile qb scrambling to buy time a lot of the time and with him getting open because of that then throwing to him and hitting him in stride while on the run, or him catching passes while left wide open by shoddy Ds,  things like that.  Factor in character concerns and questionable qb play in Dallas (ie. if a talent like Dez couldnt excel what are the odds Gallup does?) and its a pass for me.  If I'm going to look for a sleeper wr it'll be one or both of Baltimore's receivers, Scott/Lasley. Similar athleticism and college success with them, and their highlights are both pretty impressive to me as well.
I’ll take a late rd flyer on those guys, but I wouldn’t take them ahead of Gallup. I guess I’ll have to look back at character concerns, that’s the first I’ve heard. And dez simply isn’t that talented anymore or he would have a job. 

I’ll take a late rd flyer on those guys, but I wouldn’t take them ahead of Gallup. I guess I’ll have to look back at character concerns, that’s the first I’ve heard. And dez simply isn’t that talented anymore or he would have a job. 
scratch the character part, i'd already edited that part out before you replied, think i'd confused him with somebody else.  That said i dont consider any of the above-mentioned receivers to be "likely" wr 1s in fantasy, so if i take one or more it'll be whoever drops farthest (which probably wouldnt be gallup).

Callaway is the one with character concerns btw (big-time), always good to know those ones ahead of time.

Went to the Browns of all places too.  Good luck young man!   :D

Gallup is and will be a #1 WR.

Tex
Even I'm not pimping him up to be that... come on now.

He's a very solid #2 with a chance to be more, more like the 1b to someones 1a in the very best of situations.  On most teams he's a luxury WR3-4 that can develop into a really good role player.  On the Cowboys he has the chance to cement himself early and be considered a staple in the offense.  I think he'll do that, but I don't think he has true #1 ability.  

Even I'm not pimping him up to be that... come on now.

He's a very solid #2 with a chance to be more, more like the 1b to someones 1a in the very best of situations.  On most teams he's a luxury WR3-4 that can develop into a really good role player.  On the Cowboys he has the chance to cement himself early and be considered a staple in the offense.  I think he'll do that, but I don't think he has true #1 ability.  
He’s a 1WR don’t over think this my friend. If he’s available with my 6th pick I’m taking him. If not I’ll go Ridley or DJ Moore.

Tex

Does this feel like a Stefan Diggs rookie year type situation to anyone? Guy walks on to an offense with very little quality options in front of him, a strong run game, and a mobile qb? Big differences being that there are a ton of vacated targets (as opposed to with Diggs who just took them from Patterson and Johnson) and Dak has shown he can be a better qb than Teddy

Gallup is and will be a #1 WR.

Tex
This is always fun:

Michael Gallup: 6'1", 205 lbs -- 4.51 forty, 36" vert, 122" broad, 4.37 twenty yard shuttle

DeAndre Hopkins: 6'1", 214 lbs -- 4.57 forty, 36" vert, 115" broad, 4.50 twenty yard shuttle

:ph34r:

This is always fun:

Michael Gallup: 6'1", 205 lbs -- 4.51 forty, 36" vert, 122" broad, 4.37 twenty yard shuttle

DeAndre Hopkins: 6'1", 214 lbs -- 4.57 forty, 36" vert, 115" broad, 4.50 twenty yard shuttle

:ph34r:
Obviously a bad comparison because Hopkins has had way better qbs in his career... you know, in bizarro world anyway. Will say that Hopkins makes his cheddar with his route running (which we won’t see how Gallup really fares on that front until he is against nfl dbs and schemes) and did have a hall of famer opposite of him while he developed.

People mean different things when they say "#1 WR".

Some mean guys that are prototypical WRs. By my count, there are eight of those in the world. OBJ, Dez, Julio, Evans, Fitz, DT, Hopkins, AJG. And Hopkins might not even belong in that list. 

Then there are guys that are #1 on their team and produce #1 numbers, they just don't look like the guys above. That list is a lot longer: ABrown, Hilton, ESanders, KAllen, THill, Diggs, Thielen, Tate, DAdams, MThomas, DBaldwin.

In other words, I think the argument is kind of silly to say Gallup isn't a #1 WR. It may be true that he isn't an "impose his will" type #1. But that doesn't mean he can't put up good to WR1 type numbers. 

All of the "non-prototype" guys on that list have a place where they win that allows them to do what they do, though--a trump card. Either excellent routes, speed, or the ability to catch in traffic from an elite QB...does Gallup fit? He seems more like a Marvin Jones type. Which also has upside 

All of the "non-prototype" guys on that list have a place where they win that allows them to do what they do, though--a trump card. Either excellent routes, speed, or the ability to catch in traffic from an elite QB...does Gallup fit? He seems more like a Marvin Jones type. Which also has upside 
I guess it remains to be seen for Gallup.

But I don't remember anyone saying any of the Non-prototype guys would end up as #1 receivers because of the thing that allows them to win with that thing.

Wow. That's quite the sentence. :unsure:

I don't know much about Gallup, but a guy with decent size and athleticism who runs elite routes and has elite college production and good ball skills sounds like an early 1st round pick of the NFL draft, yet Gallup was taken in the mid 3rd, so it seems like something has to give on the descriptions I'm seeing in here as the NFL doesn't seem to see that combination in him.

Everyone saying he runs elite routes is mistaken in my mind.  He doesn't.  He has lots of wasted movement and he's not smooth in his breaks a lot of the time.  Very choppy I'd call it.  That choppiness has sort of helped him in a way, but he does have a few tricks and nuances in his routes that he does really well.   

I think he's in the ballpark of Keenan Allen, Hakeem Nicks, and Michael Thomas. Might be slightly less athletic than those guys, but similar in skill set and style. Plus size, but not huge. Mobile, but not a burner. Tough and competitive as a possession target.

Well, I bailed yesterday for Mike Williams. I do really like Gallup's skillset and his opportunity, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to flip a 3rd rounder on a run-first offense with a QB I don't believe in for a former 7th overall pick, second year WR playing with Rivers...who is 6'4". 

I just can't resist that pedigree, despite the disappointing rookie year for Williams and the fact that Gallup is the new exciting guy. 

I might have made the wrong call here if Williams busts and/or Gallup turns into a fantasy WR2 type, but in general even if I'm wrong this time I think you'll never go wrong in the long term flipping hyped 3rd round rookie WR's for 2nd year top-10 pick WR's. 

Well, I bailed yesterday for Mike Williams. I do really like Gallup's skillset and his opportunity, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to flip a 3rd rounder on a run-first offense with a QB I don't believe in for a former 7th overall pick, second year WR playing with Rivers...who is 6'4". 

I just can't resist that pedigree, despite the disappointing rookie year for Williams and the fact that Gallup is the new exciting guy. 

I might have made the wrong call here if Williams busts and/or Gallup turns into a fantasy WR2 type, but in general even if I'm wrong this time I think you'll never go wrong in the long term flipping hyped 3rd round rookie WR's for 2nd year top-10 pick WR's. 
Your logic makes sense, but my gut says you chose poorly.

You could definitely be right about that
Skins, Mr. Mayor here...this reminds me somehow of your affection a few years back for Philip Dorsett.  You may be right, and your logic is sound and likely works out over the long term.  Sometimes, I like to trust my gut.  In this case, I'd go Gallup.

But having played against you, you have proven to be a formidable foe so you too need to trust your instincts.

Skins, Mr. Mayor here...this reminds me somehow of your affection a few years back for Philip Dorsett.  You may be right, and your logic is sound and likely works out over the long term.  Sometimes, I like to trust my gut.  In this case, I'd go Gallup.
I prefer Anthony Miller over Gallup.  They are going just a couple picks apart in most drafts.

Funny you say that.  I got both in a rookie draft two weeks ago at 2.2 and 2.3
I traded for lots of early to mid 2nd rd picks in my dynasty leagues and didn't draft Gallup in any of them.  In my non-devy leagues he's gone 2.5, 2.6, 2.3, 2.2, and 1.13.

It's really all over the map once the main RB's are gone in my experience.  Becomes a matter or preference late in the first round, and is entirely dependent on league scoring.

But having played against you, you have proven to be a formidable foe so you too need to trust your instincts.
Happy to hear from you Mayor! Hope all is well. Miss you and the gang

God I hope you're wrong equating Williams to Dorsett haha. That one stings. I do think Williams is a demonstrably better football player than Dorsett was with a skill-set that should be more translatable, and an even higher pedigree. Dorsett was partially trusting his draft position and partially dreaming of Luck's deep threat, before Hilton re-signed. He was obviously a reach of epic proportions and I bought into his potential where I could. So you're right that sometimes buying high-pedigree guys going into their 2nd or 3rd years can be a dangerous game. I stand by thinking its good process, but there are plenty of ways you can miss. People who made moves similar to this with guys like Kevin White, Josh Doctson, etc are probably not too happy right now, although the jury is still out on Doctson. 

To me, if Gallup has a good rookie year I probably screwed up, but the potential return on flipping him won't be TOO high unless he is legitimately a Michael Thomas/Keenan Allen type of possession guy. There will be this perceived cap on his value (fair or not) even if he has a good rookie year. Whereas if Mike Williams has a similar year, his pedigree and size will have people jumping to conclusions and seeing him as a potential WR1 type. Fair or not, when I acquire guys like this I usually am envisioning flipping them in the future for something safer, usually in some kind of consolidation move. I'm basically just gambling that Mike Williams will be worth more in that type of deal than Gallup, but who knows. 

I don't know much about Gallup, but a guy with decent size and athleticism who runs elite routes and has elite college production and good ball skills sounds like an early 1st round pick of the NFL draft, yet Gallup was taken in the mid 3rd, so it seems like something has to give on the descriptions I'm seeing in here as the NFL doesn't seem to see that combination in him.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2018/04/27/post-draft-press-conference-rounds-2-3

Director of Player Personnel Stephen Jones: “I will tell ya, we had some people in that room that were rooting for Gallup with our second pick.”

General manager Jerry Jones: “There’s a lot to like about him. He’s big and athletic. He plays the game the right way. He’s been a productive player for them doing a lot of different kinds of things. He can get vertical down the field. He’s got stature to him. He’s a good run-after-the-catch guy… [He] leaps off the screen at you. Great reports from the school… And we feel he has a real upside too. A lot of qualities that you want in a young receiver… A developmental receiver. But again, a lot of production too.”

They really wanted him in the 2nd round and firmly believe he was a bargain in the 2nd. They got a gift, he be that one WR people regret passing on.

Tex

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread