What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Michael Gallup Puns Galore (3 Viewers)

This is why.

This is the post that both @STEADYMOBBIN 22 and I were responding to and you have since moved the goal posts, which is fine but I don't think you will find many people arguing that Dak didn't decline as an NFL QB from 2016 to 2017.
Well crap, I didn't mean the fantasy part. I meant real life. I apologize for my mistake

I didn't mean fantasy production but real life production. I am not sure why you would get fantasy numbers when I mentioned that this is a make or break year for him. Dak will get fantasy points because of his legs, I know that. As far as being an effective QB and leading the Cowboy offense, I think his cast like I mentioned above is the main factor if he will do well or not, which is debatable. 
Dak isn't just a mobile QB, I think that is also a tad lazy analysis IMO.  He is a 65% passer in two seasons which is very darn impressive for seasoned veterans let alone a second year player, and it's not just dink and dunk safe stuff either.  He is closer to Aaron Rodgers than Cam Newton at this point. NO, I am not saying he is as good as Aaron Rodgers just that he has dangerous mobility AND dangerous accuracy like Aaron Rodgers. He puts pressure on defenses in many ways.

As far as his supporting cast, you are absolutely correct.  However I already pointed out that you can say that same thing about virtually every other QB in the league. There are maybe five exceptions and while they might get numbers they won't win games without help. So why is Dak being held to a different standard?

Dak isn't just a mobile QB, I think that is also a tad lazy analysis IMO.  He is a 65% passer in two seasons which is very darn impressive for seasoned veterans let alone a second year player, and it's not just dink and dunk safe stuff either.  He is closer to Aaron Rodgers than Cam Newton at this point. NO, I am not saying he is as good as Aaron Rodgers just that he has dangerous mobility AND dangerous accuracy like Aaron Rodgers. He puts pressure on defenses in many ways.

As far as his supporting cast, you are absolutely correct.  However I already pointed out that you can say that same thing about virtually every other QB in the league. There are maybe five exceptions and while they might get numbers they won't win games without help. So why is Dak being held to a different standard?
just my two cents, but i think a large part of it is not the statistics, but just how he looked over the second half of the season.  people always talk about passing the eye test, well he did the exact opposite.  he looked really bad to completely awful, and totally lost at times. 

everyone talks about losing his oline and zeke, and obviously that is going to hurt, but if he struggled while looking the part i think things would be different

just my two cents, but i think a large part of it is not the statistics, but just how he looked over the second half of the season.  people always talk about passing the eye test, well he did the exact opposite.  he looked really bad to completely awful, and totally lost at times. 

everyone talks about losing his oline and zeke, and obviously that is going to hurt, but if he struggled while looking the part i think things would be different
I barely trust my own interpretation of what I see on the field let alone anyone else's.

As has been pointed out repeatedly over the years; Unless you are a coach on the team in question no amount of film study will tell you what the players should have done on any given play.

ETA: Actually I don't even trust my own interpretation I just have nothing else to go on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I barely trust my own interpretation of what I see on the field let alone anyone else's.

As has been pointed out repeatedly over the years; Unless you are a coach on the team in question no amount of film study will tell you what the players should have done on any given play.

ETA: Actually I don't even trust my own interpretation I just have nothing else to go on.
so i guess we should't even bother to watch the games? 

not saying i'm an nfl scout, but i've watched enough football to recognize when a qb looks lost/bad

so i guess we should't even bother to watch the games? 

not saying i'm an nfl scout, but i've watched enough football to recognize when a qb looks lost/bad
You don’t have to watch the games but if you look at the box score you’ll see that Prescott was sacked 32 times last season. 22 times in the last eight games. 

FWIW coming from a niners fan Dak reminds me a lot of Alex Smith. Sure he can post good FF #s, but his performance is going to be dictated by game tempo, not the other way around.

FWIW coming from a niners fan Dak reminds me a lot of Alex Smith. Sure he can post good FF #s, but his performance is going to be dictated by game tempo, not the other way around.
To me this is partially true.  There is a bit of Alex Smith to his game, but that's also a reflection of how bad a coach Jason Garrett is.  The second they step on the field for week 1 there will be little doubt in my mind that Dak is going to finish as a top10 fantasy QB and be an improved NFL QB in the process. 

I think missing Zeke is a big part of his struggles last year as a real life QB but that won't be a problem this (at least not right now).  There's always a chance of another suspension or something, but his cast is not nearly as bad as people might think.  Their WR's are actually pretty good in my mind, partially because I believe in Gallup quite a bit.  But I also think Hurns and Beasley get underrated way too often for the roles that they play. 

Cowboys team reporter David Helman noted that third-round rookie Michael Gallup has shown a "good rapport" with Dak Prescott.

Per Helman, Gallup has "found ways to generate space" and has been a reliable pass-catcher when thrown to. The Colorado State alum will have a good opportunity in year one following the offseason departures of Dez Bryant and Jason Witten. Beat writer Jon Machota previously projected Gallup for around 450 yards and four touchdowns.

Source: dallascowboys.com 

Jun 17 - 10:06 AM

I haven't heard much of any hype surrounding Gallup so far other than the "good rapport" line with Dak in Faust's last quote.  I've heard fluff pieces from plenty of other guys but not a word about Gallup.  America's team not hyping him up enough, or lack of impression being made?  Anyone have insight?

I haven't heard much of any hype surrounding Gallup so far other than the "good rapport" line with Dak in Faust's last quote.  I've heard fluff pieces from plenty of other guys but not a word about Gallup.  America's team not hyping him up enough, or lack of impression being made?  Anyone have insight?
Many people believe Hurns will be the man, I don’t. I believe Gallup will eventually become the main target. I know he’s been working a lot with Dak but that’s all I’m hearing.

Tex

Zyphros said:
In my opinion, he's a third round pick on a team that doesn't want to focus on throwing the ball and has a receiving corps that had a complete upheaval to begin the offseason. We won't hear anything about Gallup until preseason I don't think

I think he's slightly overrated this year. Maybe next year.
How can he be overrated this year when he’s really not being talked about by anyone? Trust me I love the fact that people view him as a no factor......at least until after my draft. I mean he’s barely in most people’s top ten that I’ve seen personally.

Tex

I think he's slightly overrated this year. Maybe next year.
Care to elaborate?

FBG has him as:
Redraft: WR 67, WR 66 for PPR
Dynasty: WR 53
Rooke: 13 overall
ADP: 150 overall (13th round)

So FBG has him as a WR 6 in redraft PPR. Is that overrated? I think that is vastly UNDERRATED

Hurns hasn't played a full season since 2014 and the last time he showed any signs of being a true #1 WR was 2015

Tavon Austin is more of a swiss army knife, better suited as a RB and return man. Terrance Williams has shown he's JAG out there. 

Let's talk targets...

Dak threw for 490 attempts last year. I'd say let's round up to 500 but knowing where I'm posting I'd probably get flak for it, so let's say 490 in 2018 again

Terrance Williams can eat up the same 80 targets that he did last year
Let's say Hurns stays healthy and gets a career high 120 targets (assuming a lot IMO) 
Beasley, 60 targets. Pretty typical for him
Whomever they have at TE... let's say 50 combined. I think the consensus is the offense won't move through the TE this year. 
RBs, 60 targets, unchanged from last year. 

We are still 120 targets left short. Gallup is projected to be the WR3 at a minimum. How many of those targets go to him? 

Even if Gallup gets half of those targets only, would that put him at WR66 in PPR? That's laughable. 

IMO I see Gallup gathering about 80 targets, possibly 90. I think he holds tremendously underrated value as WR66, and even Rookie 13 in dynasty

90 targets, 60 receptions, 825 yards, 7 TDs, and that's if he's the WR3 and Hurns plays at least 15 games. If he earns WR2 or if Hurns misses any time (which I expect to happen), then I would vastly increase those numbers

IMO Gallup has realistic potential to be the #1 targeted receiver on this offense

Care to elaborate?

FBG has him as:
Redraft: WR 67, WR 66 for PPR
Dynasty: WR 53
Rooke: 13 overall
ADP: 150 overall (13th round)

So FBG has him as a WR 6 in redraft PPR. Is that overrated? I think that is vastly UNDERRATED

Hurns hasn't played a full season since 2014 and the last time he showed any signs of being a true #1 WR was 2015

Tavon Austin is more of a swiss army knife, better suited as a RB and return man. Terrance Williams has shown he's JAG out there. 

Let's talk targets...

Dak threw for 490 attempts last year. I'd say let's round up to 500 but knowing where I'm posting I'd probably get flak for it, so let's say 490 in 2018 again

Terrance Williams can eat up the same 80 targets that he did last year
Let's say Hurns stays healthy and gets a career high 120 targets (assuming a lot IMO) 
Beasley, 60 targets. Pretty typical for him
Whomever they have at TE... let's say 50 combined. I think the consensus is the offense won't move through the TE this year. 
RBs, 60 targets, unchanged from last year. 

We are still 120 targets left short. Gallup is projected to be the WR3 at a minimum. How many of those targets go to him? 

Even if Gallup gets half of those targets only, would that put him at WR66 in PPR? That's laughable. 

IMO I see Gallup gathering about 80 targets, possibly 90. I think he holds tremendously underrated value as WR66, and even Rookie 13 in dynasty

90 targets, 60 receptions, 825 yards, 7 TDs, and that's if he's the WR3 and Hurns plays at least 15 games. If he earns WR2 or if Hurns misses any time (which I expect to happen), then I would vastly increase those numbers

IMO Gallup has realistic potential to be the #1 targeted receiver on this offense
This is a great post. I hope less people are connecting these dots and Gallup stays under the radar

This is a great post. I hope less people are connecting these dots and Gallup stays under the radar
I’ve been tooting this guys horns especially after he got drafted by Dallas and it seems no one is listening so you’ll be fine.

Giddy Up!

Tex

Had to read this 3 times because I didn’t believe you actually posted what you did. He is one of the most underrated players in the draft this year and I’ll be grabbing him. 
Well if you have that much faith in Dak then I get it. I think Dak will regress again this year and the TE will get a lot as teams stack the box and force him to throw. He's a good player that went to a good situation but how good their passing O is going to be is where you're overvaluing imo..

Well if you have that much faith in Dak then I get it. I think Dak will regress again this year and the TE will get a lot as teams stack the box and force him to throw. He's a good player that went to a good situation but how good their passing O is going to be is where you're overvaluing imo..
Targets and opportunity, pretty well explained. Perhaps a te emerges, but 80 targets is fairly conservative imo. Don’t expect him to hit 90/1100/12 or anything, but as a late redraft flyer or as a tier 2 dynasty pick there’s a lot of opportunity. He could be the cowboys wr1 by default at some point. He also has extremely sure hands, so he may end up with lots of 6/45 type games. 

which TE do you think gets enough targets to render Gallup as worse than a WR6?

I'm not a big fan of Dak either, but Alex Smith was able to produce some relevant pass catchers in his time in the league so far, and I compare Dak to Alex Smith

which TE do you think gets enough targets to render Gallup as worse than a WR6?
I like Gallup. I just think that if they stack the box to stop Elliott then he'll look to the TE first as he panics. Whichever TE emerges will be able to catch passes I'm sure.

I like Gallup. I just think that if they stack the box to stop Elliott then he'll look to the TE first as he panics. Whichever TE emerges will be able to catch passes I'm sure.
Dak doesn’t panic, for a young player he has proven to be professional, poised even though he’s still learning. If you’re banking on him panicking therefore throwing to his TEs you might as well ball those notes up and throw them in the trash. If a QB never panicked as a Freshman or Sophomore he sure is less likely to panic as a Junior with more experience under his belt. Dak does a great job of going through his progressions and sticking with the plan.

:twocents:

Tex

When I think of panicking QB's I think of Gabbert, that's not what Dak does at all.  He's very composed when under fire.  

When I think of panicking QB's I think of Gabbert, that's not what Dak does at all.  He's very composed when under fire.  
I'm not a dak fan in the least. I think hes a great game manager. he wont win you games but he won't lose you games either.  hes very poised under pressure. that's what has impressed me the most. even as a rookie he looked like an experienced vet

BigTex said:
Dak doesn’t panic, for a young player he has proven to be professional, poised even though he’s still learning. If you’re banking on him panicking therefore throwing to his TEs you might as well ball those notes up and throw them in the trash. If a QB never panicked as a Freshman or Sophomore he sure is less likely to panic as a Junior with more experience under his belt. Dak does a great job of going through his progressions and sticking with the plan.

:twocents:

Tex
100%. Kid has ice in his veins for someone his age. Yes, your typical young QB can show an uptick at the TE position as they rely on their safety net but Dak is the exception to the rule. The only thing holding back Gallup is the fact that Dallas has a game plan that works and works very well. And that is to pound the rock. 

you like Washington too? I was offered something recently with Washington and I declined because I really dont like his situation
I’ve been a fan of Washington for some time now. I see his situation in Pitt as a positive. I won’t reach for him but if he falls to me I’ll certainly take him. I think he’s actually one of the better WR in this past draft. I have JuJu and getting Washington is a plus. Pitt also draft Rudolph who maybe several years away from getting the gig but my plan is to snag him off the WW in a year or two. There’s a reason Pitt drafted them both.

Tex

I’ve been a fan of Washington for some time now. I see his situation in Pitt as a positive. I won’t reach for him but if he falls to me I’ll certainly take him. I think he’s actually one of the better WR in this past draft. I have JuJu and getting Washington is a plus. Pitt also draft Rudolph who maybe several years away from getting the gig but my plan is to snag him off the WW in a year or two. There’s a reason Pitt drafted them both.

Tex
I landed Washington at 2.08 in a 14 teams league, 3 idp went before him and kicked him down to me. Brown won’t play forever, and in the meantime JW can use his rac ability in the slot. 

I landed Washington at 2.08 in a 14 teams league, 3 idp went before him and kicked him down to me. Brown won’t play forever, and in the meantime JW can use his rac ability in the slot. 
You got a steal, I’v been moving people around on my roster to be able to add my targets. Of the 3 that I really want Washington is the one I believe my league mates would pass on that I may be able to draft in the 2nd round.

Tex

In one draft I have an early 2nd rounder and assume I will be looking at these three. Today it would be Miller > Gallup > Washington. 
I agree with your ranking even though I think talent wise they are close and all of them will be starters this year! Miller is definitely top of the food chain. Being in Cowboy Country I think someone will reach on Gallup and grab him before me but we’ll see.

Tex

sitting at 2.12 (16 team, full IDP dynasty) and Gallup and Washington are both still available. Currently pick 2.10 is on the clock and hoping one of them fall to me. Prefer Gallup but would gladly take Washington

I bet we'll see Mekale McKay step up or Thompson.

It seems like Hurns always gets hurt when he becomes the focus of the D and gets too many passes. As a complimentary guy, he's fine and I like him but when it's time to step up- I swear he always gets hurt. Burned in FF, I think the Boys only have a #2 in him.

Gallup needs some coaching and experience. I think it's often too much for a rookie to be a #1.

Austin is for "cute" plays and not very good otherwise. This is pretty well established so I don't know why people keep acting like he just got drafted and the sky's the limit.

I like Beasley. He's a get'r done type.

I really think they lack a #1 and with the absence at TE, it's really concerning. Dak had Dez and Witten to panic to and those two made some really nice clutch catches. He simply can't throw some throws anymore that he threw to Witten. I mean Witten was a gem in traffic. He'll get an INT if he tries with someone else right now. 

McKay is a giant with nice mitts. He could find a home here for some sub work or be cut. Not sure, but I could see a rapport developing in camp with this big target. Long shot but Hurns doesn't play like a big box out type WR so size isn't really his game. There's a need for a big guy.

Thompson is another get'r done guy. Lesser than Beasley but when pressed, I bet the coach is just thinking results and Thompson will probably give it.

I really think there's going to be some move made for the Boys to get one more WR, a player who can lead this unit. Everything will fall into place nicely if so.

Gallup should run a couple plays, come out and chat with WR coach, runs a couple more etc. I'm real leery of throwing him to the wolves. His ADP is too low, he's getting crazy opportunity

I bet we'll see Mekale McKay step up or Thompson.

It seems like Hurns always gets hurt when he becomes the focus of the D and gets too many passes. As a complimentary guy, he's fine and I like him but when it's time to step up- I swear he always gets hurt. Burned in FF, I think the Boys only have a #2 in him.

Gallup needs some coaching and experience. I think it's often too much for a rookie to be a #1.

Austin is for "cute" plays and not very good otherwise. This is pretty well established so I don't know why people keep acting like he just got drafted and the sky's the limit.

I like Beasley. He's a get'r done type.

I really think they lack a #1 and with the absence at TE, it's really concerning. Dak had Dez and Witten to panic to and those two made some really nice clutch catches. He simply can't throw some throws anymore that he threw to Witten. I mean Witten was a gem in traffic. He'll get an INT if he tries with someone else right now. 

McKay is a giant with nice mitts. He could find a home here for some sub work or be cut. Not sure, but I could see a rapport developing in camp with this big target. Long shot but Hurns doesn't play like a big box out type WR so size isn't really his game. There's a need for a big guy.

Thompson is another get'r done guy. Lesser than Beasley but when pressed, I bet the coach is just thinking results and Thompson will probably give it.

I really think there's going to be some move made for the Boys to get one more WR, a player who can lead this unit. Everything will fall into place nicely if so.

Gallup should run a couple plays, come out and chat with WR coach, runs a couple more etc. I'm real leery of throwing him to the wolves. His ADP is too low, he's getting crazy opportunity
Reports show that McKay has stiff competition for a practice squad spot. WR has the most bodies signed than any other position on the Cowboys. Thompson and McKay are unlikely to make the final roster according to 247sports. Plus Thompson is 29... Dallas has numerous young talents that I think they'd rather hold onto. 

If you want to bet on a sizable no-namer. I would go with Noah Brown or Cedrick Wilson

So far Gallup is projected as starting the season as WR1, Hurns 2, Beasley 3. After that likely Brown, Wilson. The WR6 is a toss up. I'll go with Lenoir since he was on the practice squad last year and has a year of experience in the system. 

Users who are viewing this thread