What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car Dealership trying to screw me? WTF? (1 Viewer)

SHIZNITTTT

Footballguy
Anyone in the car business? Went in for an oil change and service guy said I am due for 800 dollars worth of maintenance at 30k miles.  Chevy Silverado. 2016. Only 30k miles. All maintenance is done by the dealer. They have been doing BG service with engine oil treatment since the first service. I am just confused to think that a truck under warranty would need 800 dollars worth of service.    I have only used my 4x4 on my truck once. No issues, no warning lights. drives great.    

https://imgur.com/a/RPnwj  

edit to add:   I did not have the "recommended work" 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone in the car business? Went in for an oil change and service guy said I am due for 800 dollars worth of maintenance at 30k miles.  Chevy Silverado. 2016. Only 30k miles. All maintenance is done by the dealer. They have been doing BG service with engine oil treatment since the first service. I am just confused to think that a truck under warranty would need 800 dollars worth of service.    I have only used my 4x4 on my truck once. No issues, no warning lights. drives great.    

https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2016/Chevrolet/Silverado/2016 Chevrolet Silverado1500.pdf

Exactly. Basically nothing required at 30,000, especially because you aren’t using 4WD. 

Even at 45,000 it seems ridiculous to change transfer case oil on a little used rig.

I’d talk to the service manager with your concerns. He’ll likely say they’re just watching out for you to protect the investment, but that’s BS. I want a straight shooter that would only recommend items based on reality, not simply the schedule, and only things he would do to the truck if he owned it himself. Stay alert with these guys and consider another dealership if within your area. GL

Technical mumbo-jumbo on that quote to screw you. Report them to the BBB. 

Or just poop on their driveway and drive off.

Terrible....and they can "justify" offering it as preventative maintenance. 

This is why dealership mechanics have such a bad rap. I mean, fine offer me something for $40-100 bucks that maybe seems reasonable but go for the effin jugular?

All the flushes are BS.  BG and other flush companies pay the tens and the advisors cash per flush they sell. Ford has come out with letters to the dealer body asking them not to sell unneccesary flushes - it is killing our reputation. 

Use the scheduled maintenance guide that came from the manufacturer.  At 30K I would guess oil change, tire rotation, air filter, maybe cabin air. 

I am a service manager at at GM dealership.  We would recommend doing the Transmission flush and driveline service at 50k miles unless you do a lot of heavy pulling. Check if the "4X4 service" includes both the front and rear differentials and the transfer case.  Not sure what their fuel service includes, but I would ask.  The key is preventive maintenance, but 30k miles does seem fairly early.  Doing or not doing them would not have any effect on your factory warranty, but if you plan on keeping the truck a long time it could save you money in the long run.

Exactly. Basically nothing required at 30,000, especially because you aren’t using 4WD. 

Even at 45,000 it seems ridiculous to change transfer case oil on a little used rig.

I’d talk to the service manager with your concerns. He’ll likely say they’re just watching out for you to protect the investment, but that’s BS. I want a straight shooter that would only recommend items based on reality, not simply the schedule, and only things he would do to the truck if he owned it himself. Stay alert with these guys and consider another dealership if within your area. GL
Um all the stuff they requested was from the 22500 service. 

That’s why I never take cars to the dealer for even oil changes. They try to screw you in both the front and back of the house.
Find a better dealer.  Ours (Honda) is primo.  No rip-offs.  They always loan us a car if the repair will take any kind of time.  Always excellent.  No upsells and no weird s###.

snellman said:
I am a service manager at at GM dealership.  We would recommend doing the Transmission flush and driveline service at 50k miles unless you do a lot of heavy pulling. Check if the "4X4 service" includes both the front and rear differentials and the transfer case.  Not sure what their fuel service includes, but I would ask.  The key is preventive maintenance, but 30k miles does seem fairly early.  Doing or not doing them would not have any effect on your factory warranty, but if you plan on keeping the truck a long time it could save you money in the long run.
Do you still see issues with Chevy transmissions at around 75,000 miles? Had to have mine rebuilt on my Suburban, and if I remember Silverados were having the same issues. 

This was probably 5 or 6 years ago. 

Thanks for all the tips.   Just thought that I wouldn't get the upsell at my local dealer.    Called them today to say I will take my business and future car purchases elsewhere. Twins will be driving in 2 years. 

Thanks for all the tips.   Just thought that I wouldn't get the upsell at my local dealer.    Called them today to say I will take my business and future car purchases elsewhere. Twins will be driving in 2 years. 
I hate the upsell but if you go by the "manual" posted.  They weren't wrong :shrug:

Are you trying to tell me all car manufacturers recommended service manuals are lies?!

I don't follow them by the letter but I do the recommended services at some point at my local mechanic

But I drive my Honda's for like 12 years

I hate the upsell but if you go by the "manual" posted.  They weren't wrong :shrug:
At 45k miles

And even then changing all those fluids at a local shop wouldn't cost nearly close to $800

Doctor Detroit said:
Shiznuck is one of the few guys I have on ignore.  Did he try to help his kid with math homework again?
I have this guy on ignore so could somebody please tell me what he said? 

I have this guy on ignore so could somebody please tell me what he said? 
He is an angry old man.  He put me on ignore when I called him out on his racist statement awhile back.  He is pretty paranoid as well.  He thought I would waste the energy to report him for something in the past. :lol: He used to supply witty banter, but he is just an angry guy.  Hope he doesn't do something to himself before he gets help.  The only joy he seems to get anymore is trying to ridicule or bully other posters.  

TLDR:  you didn't miss anything

SHIZNITTTT said:
He is an angry old man.  He put me on ignore when I called him out on his racist statement awhile back.  He is pretty paranoid as well.  He thought I would waste the energy to report him for something in the past. :lol: He used to supply witty banter, but he is just an angry guy.  Hope he doesn't do something to himself before he gets help.  The only joy he seems to get anymore is trying to ridicule or bully other posters.  

TLDR:  you didn't miss anything
I think you are living in some kind of alternative universe.  

Users who are viewing this thread