What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Was this slide dirty? (1 Viewer)

There are multiple issues here and I have no skin in the game.  I like the slide as a baseball play.  But it's a slide for old timey baseball, 1970s and 1980s style.  The new rule makes the slide iffy, only because MI don't expect it anymore; however, I don't believe that is the issue.  The issue to me, as I used to play MI, is that Holt was acting as a 1b on the play, much in the same way a C acts when they stretch for a force at home.  So, Holt had no intention of trying for 2, but there was no way Austin could know this.  Austin has to assume 2 and slide to break it up.  Holt may have given himself up on the play, but he needs to better protect himself.  When there is a force at home and catchers clearly are not trying for 2, they get the force and move out of the way.  It is the fielders' responsibility to get out of the way IMO.  I like what Austin did, but I can see why Holt took offence, from the standpoint he was 'giving himself up'.  Austin shoulda patted Holt on the ### and Holt shoulda known it's a solid baseball play. 

According to today's game, yes it was. Just a few years ago perfectly legal. Everyone knew Austin would get thrown at except for him apparently. What I think he got most mad at is Kelly threw at him twice.

Notwithstanding the above, a slide shall not be a “bona fide slide”

if a runner engages in a “roll block,” or intentionally initiates (or

attempts to initiate) contact with the fielder by elevating and kicking

his leg above the fielder’s knee or throwing his arm or his upper

body.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2018's ####ified version of baseball, its dirty. We wouldn't have blinked at it 2 years ago. 
It was chicken####. He was trying to hurt the guy. I thought we didn't do that anymore. It was nothing like the egregious take-out slides of yesteryear, but still not acceptable by today's standards

There are multiple issues here and I have no skin in the game.  I like the slide as a baseball play.  But it's a slide for old timey baseball, 1970s and 1980s style.  The new rule makes the slide iffy, only because MI don't expect it anymore; however, I don't believe that is the issue.  The issue to me, as I used to play MI, is that Holt was acting as a 1b on the play, much in the same way a C acts when they stretch for a force at home.  So, Holt had no intention of trying for 2, but there was no way Austin could know this.  Austin has to assume 2 and slide to break it up.  Holt may have given himself up on the play, but he needs to better protect himself.  When there is a force at home and catchers clearly are not trying for 2, they get the force and move out of the way.  It is the fielders' responsibility to get out of the way IMO.  I like what Austin did, but I can see why Holt took offence, from the standpoint he was 'giving himself up'.  Austin shoulda patted Holt on the ### and Holt shoulda known it's a solid baseball play. 
I didn't know you were Canadian.

Imo, if you are going to try and break up a play with your feet, it at least needs to be "cleats down."

Tyler Austin intentionally lifts his foot and intentionally cleats the 2nd baseman in the leg.

Holt took offense because it wasn't necessary and probably hurt like a sob. 

... then Austin has a huge issue when someone "intentionally" hurts him? What a punk.

Very satisfying to see him take a fastball to the rib-cage and I'm glad skinny little Joe Pitcher got the better of him in the exchange.

(and what the heck was the catcher doing when he didn't bother to get between Austin and his pitcher? ... or at least tackle the guy from behind. Sheesh.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyler Austin intentionally lifts his foot and intentionally cleats the 2nd baseman in the leg.

Holt took offense because it wasn't necessary and probably hurt like a sob. 

... then Austin has a huge issue when someone "intentionally" hurts him? What a punk.

Very satisfying to see him take a fastball to the rib-cage and I'm glad skinny little Joe Pitcher got the better of him in the exchange.

(and what the heck was the catcher doing when he didn't bother to get between Austin and his pitcher? ... or at least tackle the guy from behind. Sheesh.)
Yea I thought that was kind of amusing.  Guy slams his bat and helmet, and I'm sure expected catcher, umpire, or both, to get in between him and pitcher.  Nope.  Then Kelly drops his glove and gives the "come on," now you gotta charge.

It was chicken####. He was trying to hurt the guy. I thought we didn't do that anymore. It was nothing like the egregious take-out slides of yesteryear, but still not acceptable by today's standards
I agree with this.

Guy did it to me once while I was playing 3B and I didn't take too kindly too it. Ended with both of us getting thrown out

Users who are viewing this thread