What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Air Fryer Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Tater Tots and chicken tenders come out perfect in the AF. It's really hard to tell that they were air fried and not deep fried. Great outer crunch on both. 

We also cook onion sausage and hot dogs in there. If you cook the hot dogs long enough they split open just like the grill. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I Amazon'd an Air Fryer at the beginning of lock down and it was vital to the sanity of the whole family as we've tried just about everything in it.  One of the best finds, of all things, was the most amazing croutons I've ever had; discovered by accident.  When bread was non-existent in grocery stores, my wife grabbed some at CVS, which was awful.  Before tossing it, I Googled up Air Fryer Croutons and gave them a shot with the CVS bread and Penzy's Fox Point Seasoning.  All I do in cut them to size, toss them in Olive Oil & the seasoning and fry them between 3-5 (or a bit more) at 400 depending on the "doneness" desired.  I like them a little less brown, whereas my wife likes them a bit more crunchy.  With some Goggled up home made Caesar dressing, these added to incredible salmon Caesar salads (and a stand-alone snack too).  

i did pretty good making coconut shrimp, but i used an egg/flour/panko dredge.  still not sure if i need to dredge to fry other stuff.

What's your process? You parboiling them, or anything?
For fries, we don't.  We just thin cut them (think McDonalds), soak them for a few hours in olive oil (light just to coat) and fry them at 350 for 13-15 minutes until close to done.  Then, 400 for 3-5 to add crispyness.  Salt with sea salt (or any type of season salt; lots of Penzy's options here).  

What's your process? You parboiling them, or anything?
1.  Peel and cut 3 large russet potatoes into fries

2.  Boil them for 4 minutes 

3.  Soak them in cold water for 10 minutes 

4.  Dry them in a large bowl

5.  Season with 2 table spoons of olive oil and whatever else you prefer (my go to is fresh garlic and Parmesan cheese but you can do anything)

6.  Set in air fryer (in batches) for 25 minutes at 400 degrees flipping a couple times throughout; make sure to season with salt (and black pepper) throughout the cooking as well

Anybody have the emeril air fryer? From the infomercials? Has good reviews actually. I’ve been staring at it for a while now on amazon. 

1.  Peel and cut 3 large russet potatoes into fries

2.  Boil them for 4 minutes 

3.  Soak them in cold water for 10 minutes 

4.  Dry them in a large bowl

5.  Season with 2 table spoons of olive oil and whatever else you prefer (my go to is fresh garlic and Parmesan cheese but you can do anything)

6.  Set in air fryer (in batches) for 25 minutes at 400 degrees flipping a couple times throughout; make sure to season with salt (and black pepper) throughout the cooking as well
Oh and cooking time varies depending on how crispy you want it.  I cut mine a little thick so fried them longer.  

I still don't understand any benefit of the basket style air fryers over the flat tray style :unsure:
There isn’t any 

Unfortunately I didn’t know that when I bought mine a few years ago. Actually, I don’t think I ever saw one with racks when I bought mine 

I still don't understand any benefit of the basket style air fryers over the flat tray style :unsure:
There isn't. Mine is a combo air fryer/pressure cooker/crockpot, so it has the basket. I'd definitely prefer trays. I bought some tiered wire racks that fit inside off amazon, they work ok.

I grabbed this Cuisinart TOA-60 on the low low from Target ($179.99, price matched amazon to $149.99 with a $75 gift card, so $75 net). 

Have made a few things in it so far: 
- Broiled asparagus: Fantasic
- Air Fried Bone in Chicken Thighs - Fantastic
- Air Fried Potato Wedges - Fantastic
- Air Fried 2" thick NY Strip Steaks w/ Dry Rub - Surprisingly good! Nice crust, good even Med-Rare. (14 mins air fry @ 450, 6 mins Convection bake @ 450). 
- Toasting Garlic Bread - Fantasic
- Reheating 2-day old dry fridge pizza by air-frying - Fantastic!

I love the versatility of the unit.. toaster, oven, air-fryer. I'd agree the results aren't quite deep fryer level but are better than my non-convection oven. I also love the added cooking space/function when prepping dinner.  I think the pull out tray is way better than the bucket style. Great capacity. Easy to clean. Versatile array of pans and baskets. Looks nice on the counter as well. 

For $75 I think it was a fantastic buy. 

Just ordered this from Macy’s. On sale for $170 puts it at ~180 with tax. Trying to eat healthier and cook more at home - hoping this helps. 

Just ordered this from Macy’s. On sale for $170 puts it at ~180 with tax. Trying to eat healthier and cook more at home - hoping this helps. 
Used mine tonight to make home made fries. Just cut up some russet potatoes, patted dry, misted with canola spray and seasoning. Delicious and fairly healthy. 

You'll love it. 

I’ll second the pork chop recommendation.  Louisiana’s makes an air fryer pork chop/chicken seasoning, think shake and bake and it’s dynamite in the air fryer.

Wings and homemade fries too like others have mention.  Also Costco has frozen chicken breast bites that’s lightly breaded that are really good too.  Had ours about 6 months and love it

Used mine tonight to make home made fries. Just cut up some russet potatoes, patted dry, misted with canola spray and seasoning. Delicious and fairly healthy. 

You'll love it. 
The more I’m reading the more I’m wondering if this is superfluous. I have a dual door convection oven so I’m thinking maybe I just need something like this. Hmm. 

Wingnut said:
Not really. I've been calling mine a mini convection oven since I got it. Same principle.
Heh neat. I bought this and will try some stuff before deciding the fate of the air fryer. Given the split oven the top one gets up to speed nice and quick and also doesn't heat up the whole house so I'm thinking I might be good sans a separate appliance. 

We're dipping a toe in.  My BIL recommended a small cheap one to my wife that was on some daily deal site for like $25 so she grabbed it.  Smallish and no temp control, but a cheap way to check out the idea.

Used it once so far to reheat some leftover fish & chips and it did great for that.  Haven't actually COOKED anything in it yet.

I unfortunately pulled the trigger to quickly. Would definitely prefer the flat tray style. 

Still love the AF though, use it for just about anything. Not waiting for it to heat up is such a time saver. Just turn it on, punch in the settings and let it fry. 

I've heard the Phillips unit they suggested (and other basket styles) are loud. Some say approaching vacuum cleaner-esque sounds....  Is that the case? 

The Cuisinart Tray unit I have is quite quiet. Ambient noise level in my kitchen is 56.5db (The Cuisinart is next to my Samsung Fridge). On full on "air fryer" mode it only goes up to 65.2db measured just in front of the unit. At ear level (6' tall) its 45db and bumps to 54db. 

Its audible not not much. 

Other benefits to this unit (and I'm assuming other tray units: 
1) Glass window in front offers good view of food cooking (light inside)
2) Lots of flexibility... includes choice of baking sheet, wire rack, or basket. I generally leave baking sheet on bottom with foil on it to catch grease. 
3) Capacity is great. I can comfortably fit 6-8 whole wings or about 20 party wings (drums/flats) without stacking/overlapping.
4) No shaking the bucket
5) Makes a great toaster oven (Garlic bread, reheating pizza slices, etc) or second oven (convection making items when big items are in main oven). 
6) EASY CLEAN : Crumbs that get past the foil covered tray settle on a removeable sheet of metal on the floor. Pull it out, wipe down the door and inside (if you want). and you're done. Basket/rack hold up well in warm water hand-wash or a cycle in the dishwasher. 

The most used appliance in my kitchen for sure.  

I've heard the Phillips unit they suggested (and other basket styles) are loud. Some say approaching vacuum cleaner-esque sounds....  Is that the case? 

The Cuisinart Tray unit I have is quite quiet. Ambient noise level in my kitchen is 56.5db (The Cuisinart is next to my Samsung Fridge). On full on "air fryer" mode it only goes up to 65.2db measured just in front of the unit. Its audible not not much. 
I have a Nuwave. It’s quiet 

The Cuisinart Tray unit I have is quite quiet. Ambient noise level in my kitchen is 56.5db (The Cuisinart is next to my Samsung Fridge). On full on "air fryer" mode it only goes up to 65.2db measured just in front of the unit. At ear level (6' tall) its 45db and bumps to 54db. 

Its audible not not much. 

Other benefits to this unit (and I'm assuming other tray units: 
1) Glass window in front offers good view of food cooking (light inside)
2) Lots of flexibility... includes choice of baking sheet, wire rack, or basket. I generally leave baking sheet on bottom with foil on it to catch grease. 
3) Capacity is great. I can comfortably fit 6-8 whole wings or about 20 party wings (drums/flats) without stacking/overlapping.
4) No shaking the bucket
5) Makes a great toaster oven (Garlic bread, reheating pizza slices, etc) or second oven (convection making items when big items are in main oven). 
6) EASY CLEAN : Crumbs that get past the foil covered tray settle on a removeable sheet of metal on the floor. Pull it out, wipe down the door and inside (if you want). and you're done. Basket/rack hold up well in warm water hand-wash or a cycle in the dishwasher. 

The most used appliance in my kitchen for sure.  

Regarding the toaster oven feature - can it just make toast?

We have limited counter space, but if it could replace the toaster (granted it's bigger) it wouldn't eat up as much additional space

Regarding the toaster oven feature - can it just make toast?

We have limited counter space, but if it could replace the toaster (granted it's bigger) it wouldn't eat up as much additional space
Yes it absolutely makes great toast. I've used for regular toast, garlic bread, grilled cheese, etc. :thumbup:  

The dial has light/dark settings like a toaster oven that replace the function of the standard timer when in toast mode. 

Are these just re-packaged toaster ovens?  Is there some magical convection-esque science that differentiates them?  

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/airfryers/toa-60 even calls them a toaster oven?
Nope. They're multi-function devices with various settings and temp range from "Warm" to 450 degrees. 

Settings on the Cuisinart are:
Warm
Toast
Bake
Convection Bake
Broil
Convection Broil
Air Fry (I believe this is similar to convection bake, but higher temp and more air movement) 

Nope. They're multi-function devices with various settings and temp range from "Warm" to 450 degrees. 

Settings on the Cuisinart are:
Warm
Toast
Bake
Convection Bake
Broil
Convection Broil
Air Fry (I believe this is similar to convection bake, but higher temp and more air movement
This is the crux of my question.  I have a toaster oven with bake/broil/toast options but if the Air Fry setting is significantly different that's important.  My current toaster oven is 14 years old and missing a leg and I just need an excuse about a millimeter wide to jump in here.

This is the crux of my question.  I have a toaster oven with bake/broil/toast options but if the Air Fry setting is significantly different that's important.  My current toaster oven is 14 years old and missing a leg and I just need an excuse about a millimeter wide to jump in here.
Does your toaster oven have convection fan for moving air? If not, then it's a pretty big jump in functionality... even on bake/broil mode. 

Steaks are incredible in these with good dry seasoning.  If you like it medium/medium well.  It cooks it perfect.  Not red inside and doesn't turn to leather, stays juicy.
I stopped reading right here. Steaks in an air fryer (let alone steaks cooked medium well)?

Not at all. How would you prefer I make one for myself? Not feeling the need to clean the broiler for one little rib eye and certainly not firing up the bbq, standing outside in the rain or snow in my boxers, to make it that way. 

Is it blasphemy?
I'm not going to gatekeep how you cook steak. To each their own, and I've never tried an air-fried steak so there's that.

But in my world, this is indeed blasphemy.

I have the instapot air fryer/pressure cooker dual combo.  It’s extremely versatile but agree that the basket style kinda blows.  It was completely my wife’s idea and she did all the research so I didn’t even know there was a tray style.  Regardless, we use it all the time.  

Am I not supposed to preheat?   I usually add on a minute or two to preheat.

I have the instapot air fryer/pressure cooker dual combo.  It’s extremely versatile but agree that the basket style kinda blows.  It was completely my wife’s idea and she did all the research so I didn’t even know there was a tray style.  Regardless, we use it all the time.  

Am I not supposed to preheat?   I usually add on a minute or two to preheat.
I always preheat them it beeps when it’s at temp and I have 5 mins to add my food and begin cook

I use my air fryer for one thing lately. Decarbing my herb for my edibles. I might have made some Reuben egg rolls a couple months ago in there, but I can't remember. 

Does your toaster oven have convection fan for moving air? If not, then it's a pretty big jump in functionality... even on bake/broil mode. 
Well we're gonna find out.  Bought a cheapo basket for mine.  It does have a setting called "convection bake" but pretty much all bake/broil modes involve convection so the real question seems to be the air movement.  I wasn't sure if your model was super-hot or did something fancier than just moving the air.  If this doesn't work out I'll get the Cuisinart.

Boneless pork chops tonight for me and the woman 

Smacked them a few times to get then to about 3/4 “. Panko for me, just salt n pepper for her

400 for 9 mins. Juicy crispy deliciousness 

👍

Chicken wings. Hit with lemon pepper on both sides, 375 for 13 minutes, flip, 375 for another 12, then 400 for 5 minutes. Will be as crispy as any deep fryer. Sauce - 4 tables of butter melted, big pour of frank’s, few pours of Worcestershire, salt and garlic powder and some honey. Wisk it up and go to town. 

Oh hit them with some cooking spray first. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of baking powder to really get them crispy. 
I made these tonight and they were fantastic.   Crunchy/moist and the sauce was really good.  Definitely doing them again.

Heh neat. I bought this and will try some stuff before deciding the fate of the air fryer. Given the split oven the top one gets up to speed nice and quick and also doesn't heat up the whole house so I'm thinking I might be good sans a separate appliance. 
I didn't notice you were asking the same questions I was.  I also went this route.  It was quite solid in the normal oven and should be fine in my toaster oven on convection bake setting.  I do have one that moves air and gets plenty hot - my first time I tried in a weakass toaster oven that had a good fan but only got to 310 degrees.  Those fries were no va.  The basket I bought it too small for my oven but I've got a 12" round one on the way and this is likely to be my final answer.  So far I've spent a grand total of $36 on hillbilly smoker and air fryers!

Does anyone have a good solution they can link me to in order to convert my basket style to trays? I don’t use my air fryer nearly as much as I should largely due to having a big family and not wanting to stack things and end up with some mushy and some crisp areas of food

Ok so the generic basket in the toaster oven on convection bake worked out pretty well.  Fries were nice and crispy though and really good - seasoned them with some kocher salt, garlic powder, and powdered parmesan.  Only caveat was that it took about 30 minutes to fully cook them.  Maybe I didn't have enough oil, I went super light on it since the whole purpose is to reduce the oil/fat intake.  Got a potato slicer machine since I'm a sloth and saved $200 (so far) on buying an official air fryer and pre-cooked the whole potato for 4 minutes in boiling water to make it slide right through the slicer.

Users who are viewing this thread