What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Air Fryer Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Hankmoody said:
Ok so the generic basket in the toaster oven on convection bake worked out pretty well.  Fries were nice and crispy though and really good - seasoned them with some kocher salt, garlic powder, and powdered parmesan.  Only caveat was that it took about 30 minutes to fully cook them.  Maybe I didn't have enough oil, I went super light on it since the whole purpose is to reduce the oil/fat intake.  Got a potato slicer machine since I'm a sloth and saved $200 (so far) on buying an official air fryer and pre-cooked the whole potato for 4 minutes in boiling water to make it slide right through the slicer.
Usually I do fries at hot as hell (400-450) and they're done in like 15 mins IIRC... but that burns the outside before the inside is cooked if they're thick/wedges :lol:   30 mins isn't too bad, and if the results are good it sounds like you've got an impromptu airfryer setup :)

Usually I do fries at hot as hell (400-450) and they're done in like 15 mins IIRC... but that burns the outside before the inside is cooked if they're thick/wedges :lol:   30 mins isn't too bad, and if the results are good it sounds like you've got an impromptu airfryer setup :)
Yep mine gets up to 450 so heat isn't an issue which is why I thought maybe I need more oil to get the cook on.  My slicer does have a wedge option (although that I could do by hand, just not skinny-### fries F that) and those are what I wanna try next.

What do people do for chicken?  Just a buttermilk dredge with flour seasoning?  I love me some legs and have a pack ready to go.

Bumping this with the thought of buying one. Any input and brand recommendations are appreciated 

Finally going to get an air fryer (lol) so who loves theirs ? What kind do you have ? Would you buy that same one again ? We are a family of four.

Bonus for air fryer recipes too :)

Thanks all !! And happy new year 🥳
We have a 6 in 1 Ninja foodi that we use almost every day. There are only 3 of us so it is perfect for cooking small meals. It has air fry, grill, bake, roast, and dehydrate I think. Living in northeast Ohio it is not a great time to go outside and grill. I've used that thing to make all kinds of boneless chicken breasts on the grill setting... Even hamburgers. Bacon air fried at 350 for 6 minutes comes out great. Love that stupid gadget.  :D

My list of very simple things I commonly prepare in the air fryer (minutes @ degrees Fahrenheit). (All times in pre-heated Instant Vortex Plus, 6 Quart.)

Grilled cheese 9 @ 380
Frozen pizza 10 @ 380
Refrigerated pizza 9 @ 380
Chicken thighs 24 @ 370
Chicken wings 19 @ 400
Hot dogs 9 @ 380
French fries (fresh) 24 @ 380
Frozen burger patty 11 @ 370
Cooked (refrigerated) gyro slices 6 @ 400
Bacon 10 @ 350
Soft boiled eggs 10 @ 270 (then dunked in ice water for a minute)
Kale chips 20 @ 180

My list of very simple things I commonly prepare in the air fryer (minutes @ degrees Fahrenheit). (All times in pre-heated Instant Vortex Plus, 6 Quart.)

Grilled cheese 9 @ 380
Frozen pizza 10 @ 380
Chicken thighs 24 @ 370
Chicken wings 19 @ 400
Hot dogs 9 @ 380
Bacon 10 @ 350
Kale chips 20 @ 180
🎶 One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is doing his own thing 🎶

We bought a smaller one a few months ago to see if we like it, now we want the best large air fryer - any recommendations?

Looking for the best combo of size, trays and easy to clean.

Chicken thighs 24 @ 370
I do 20 min at 400 - come out perfect. I’m sure they do for you also.
Honestly if I’ve ever had better fried chicken, I don’t remember it. I’m making it tonight in fact.
How do you prepare it?
I just dip in this coating: https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Se...874344&sprefix=chiucken+coati,aps,109&sr=8-39

Put in air fryer at 400 degrees for 20 minutes - flipping the thighs over after 10 minutes.

At some point, we're going to take the air fryer plunge.

They've been out for a good while now. With most technology, the price point of the "decent no-frills" options steadily drops over the years. Are we now at the point where someone can get a perfectly good air fryer for, say, $80-100**? Or if not, what is the price point for a basic but decent-quality model?

I know a lot can depend on exactly what someone wants to do with their air fryer. I think we'd want one that can easily air-fry eight pieces of chicken. It would also be getting used a ton for chicken nuggets, battered chicken strips, and all manner of french fries.

** I see them frequently at, say, WalMart for under $100, but it makes me wonder if they're pieces of junk that will only last a few months and might not cook that well to begin with. I've even seen small air fryers at discount stores like TJ Maxx for around $50, but those look like toys almost.

Chicken thighs 24 @ 370
Honestly if I’ve ever had better fried chicken, I don’t remember it. I’m making it tonight in fact.
How do you prepare it?
For what it's worth, I'm fine doing nothing. Just put the thighs in, skin side down, and flip them over 2/3 of the way through. Add salt and pepper if you want.

Alternatively, I'll put some soy sauce or buffalo sauce or whatever on them after they come out. But it's not necessary.

I'm also going to be in the market for one of these as the wife keeps hearing about them from her friends. Is the 6 quart size plenty big enough for the two of us? And is Maurile's Instant Vortex Plus, 6 Quart the gold standard? Amazon seems to think highly of it.

And is Maurile's Instant Vortex Plus, 6 Quart the gold standard? Amazon seems to think highly of it.
And accordingly, I was expecting it to be a $400 device.

@Maurile Tremblay , is this your air fryer? If it's only $110, that's a heckuva deal compared to the "who knows?" air fryers WalMart is selling.

EDIT: Shoot, the 10-quart model is only $139. That might be [Elton John] The One [/Elton John].

EDIT2: Can't vouch for the model, but this 10-quart is only $90. They must've gone down in price a ton over the last year or so.

EDIT3: WalMart online has an Instant Pot Vortex 6-quart for $99! Though it looks different from the one at the Amazon link. Wonder what the difference is?

Last edited:
Put in air fryer at 400 degrees for 20 minutes - flipping the thighs over after 10 minutes.

What kind of air fryer do you have, @Dr. Octopus ? What capacity?
It’s Sboly. Not sure of the capacity but I’m alone now so it’s smaller size. I only make two thighs at a time but could fit 5-6 in there.
That's one of the WalMart ones (at least online), and they're dirt cheap (~$60 - $80). Nice to know they still do the trick at that price point.

This reminds me of when DVD players went critical. One day, they were $300 ... and it seemed like maybe a year later, I looked around and there many models around $50.

What kind of air fryer do you have, @Dr. Octopus ? What capacity?
It’s Sboly. Not sure of the capacity but I’m alone now so it’s smaller size. I only make two thighs at a time but could fit 5-6 in there.
That's one of the WalMart ones (at least online), and they're dirt cheap (~$60 - $80). Nice to know they still do the trick at that price point.

This reminds me of when DVD players went critical. One day, they were $300 ... and it seemed like maybe a year later, I looked around and there many models around $50.
I ordered mine through Amazon - think it was $119 at the time. It was about a year and a half ago.

Chicken thighs 24 @ 370
How do you prepare it?
I just dip in this coating: https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Seasoned-Crispy-CHICKEN-Batter/dp/B00F863QT8/ref=sr_1_39?crid=7RT455BRYMGY&keywords=oven+fry+chicken+coating&qid=1663874344&sprefix=chiucken+coati,aps,109&sr=8-39

Dumb question time. You’re talking bone in thighs, correct?

Chicken thighs 24 @ 370
How do you prepare it?
I just dip in this coating: https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Seasoned-Crispy-CHICKEN-Batter/dp/B00F863QT8/ref=sr_1_39?crid=7RT455BRYMGY&keywords=oven+fry+chicken+coating&qid=1663874344&sprefix=chiucken+coati,aps,109&sr=8-39

Most of the time it’s bone in, but I’ve done boneless a few times at same setting.

Chicken thighs 24 @ 370
How do you prepare it?

Most of the time it’s bone in, but I’ve done boneless a few times at same setting.
The boneless take around 15 mins?

The beauty of an air fryer to me is no preheating needed. Pop stuff in and on.

I make salmon in mine at least once per week.

Lightly coat with olive oil. Generous sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, red chili flakes and then cover all with grated Parmesan cheese.

I then get flour street taco shells ready with light mayo, shredded Parmesan cheese and tobasco sauce.

350 degrees for 15 mins.

Chicken thighs 24 @ 370
How do you prepare it?

The boneless take around 15 mins?
Maybe 16 but yeah it’s done quicker. I once accidentally didn’t realize they were boneless and did 20 minutes and it was still juicy.

Grilled cheese 9 @ 380
Frozen pizza 10 @ 380
Chicken thighs 24 @ 370
Chicken wings 19 @ 400
Hot dogs 9 @ 380
Bacon 10 @ 350
Kale chips 20 @ 180
Maurile, how are you doing the fresh fries? Just giving them a shake every once in awhile? Any oil?

This thing has just been such a game changer for me on chicken breasts.. I always struggled to do them on the grill(always ended up drying them out) but this is completely idiot proof.

Soak them in a store bought marinade for 4-6 hours, 9 minutes on each side brushing them down with more marinade when flip. (Occasionally an extra couple of minutes if they're really thick) and they come out perfect every time. Insanely juicy, even 2 days later reheated in the microwave.

Only downside is the cleaning. The marinade makes a mess in the tray.

Grilled cheese 9 @ 380
Frozen pizza 10 @ 380
Chicken thighs 24 @ 370
Chicken wings 19 @ 400
Hot dogs 9 @ 380
Bacon 10 @ 350
Kale chips 20 @ 180
Maurile, how are you doing the fresh fries? Just giving them a shake every once in awhile? Any oil?
I don't do any soaking or drying. I cut the fries using a french fry cutter. Then I put them in a bowl and massage them with olive oil while the air fryer is preheating. Then I put a single layer of fries in the fryer with some space between them, which usually means doing multiple batches. If I get lazy and do a single batch with overlapping fries, they don't come out nearly as well. Then I fry them and give them a shake about 2/3 of the way through. When multiple batches are done, I put them all back in together for a minute or two so that they all come out hot together. Salt at the end.

This thing has just been such a game changer for me on chicken breasts.. I always struggled to do them on the grill(always ended up drying them out) but this is completely idiot proof.

Soak them in a store bought marinade for 4-6 hours, 9 minutes on each side brushing them down with more marinade when flip. (Occasionally an extra couple of minutes if they're really thick) and they come out perfect every time. Insanely juicy, even 2 days later reheated in the microwave.

I was under the assumption that flipping isn't necessary in air fryers. The concept of it (I think anyways) is that the air circulates around it to cook evenly on both sides. I never flip or shake anything in mine and always comes out great.

I don't do any soaking or drying. I cut the fries using a french fry cutter. Then I put them in a bowl and massage them with olive oil while the air fryer is preheating. Then I put a single layer of fries in the fryer with some space between them, which usually means doing multiple batches. If I get lazy and do a single batch with overlapping fries, they don't come out nearly as well. Then I fry them and give them a shake about 2/3 of the way through. When multiple batches are done, I put them all back in together for a minute or two so that they all come out hot together. Salt at the end.

Another, I don't think is needed.....the beauty of air fryers is that you don't have to do any preheating. Just add a couple minutes onto the time for it to get up to the temp.

Grilled cheese 9 @ 380
Frozen pizza 10 @ 380
Chicken thighs 24 @ 370
Chicken wings 19 @ 400
Hot dogs 9 @ 380
Bacon 10 @ 350
Kale chips 20 @ 180
Thanks 👍

I was under the assumption that flipping isn't necessary in air fryers. The concept of it (I think anyways) is that the air circulates around it to cook evenly on both sides. I never flip or shake anything in mine and always comes out great.

Any meat recipe I've seen online has recommended flipping half way through. Also allows me to brush them down with sauce/marinade which probably helps (along with the direct contact with the tray) generate some "Crust".

Probably not necessary in terms of actually getting the meat cooked, but I've had great results (with both Chicken and pork chops. Haven't tried any red meat in there. Can't imagine not just making my steak or burgers on the grill) so I'll probably stick with it.

Do you always only do a single layer with no gaps? We have a Ninja Foodie, so maybe it's not big enough, but really can't do enough in there without stacking.

Do you always only do a single layer with no gaps? We have a Ninja Foodie, so maybe it's not big enough, but really can't do enough in there without stacking.

Like fries they can be stacked and still cook evenly. But salmon or chicken strips I go single layer.

Good weekend to bump this thread.

My air fryer has only been uses for reheating things like fries, chicken fingers, etc.

However, my local butcher has all sorts of marinated chicken wings for sale this weekend. I may have to buy some and actually "cook" them. Based on this thread it seems easy. Any newbie advice for wings?

My air fryer has only been uses for reheating things like fries, chicken fingers, etc.

However, my local butcher has all sorts of marinated chicken wings for sale this weekend. I may have to buy some and actually "cook" them. Based on this thread it seems easy. Any newbie advice for wings?
23-25 mins @ 400 for split wings. Get the skin as dry as possible, flip halfway through

If you have left over baked potato, the air fryer is a quick way to make it into hashbrowns the next morning

Don't do it if there is any kind of sugar in the marinade. Good chance they will burn.

Don't do it if there is any kind of sugar in the marinade. Good chance they will burn.
You nailed that! I should have known better from grilling. The BBQ ones had to be thrown away. The Buffalo ones were great. More of a rub than a sauce.

Are we still using air fryers or have they gone to the same dusty corner of the garage as the instapot and Foreman grill?

So, I bought a Cosori Pro (Model number was CP-158AF) back in 2019, used it for years with no problems at all, it was great in fact. About a year ago I got a notice from Amazon that there was a recall. So, I did the right thing and ignored it. At some point, I got a reminder email that said something like "hey ding dong, read the recall or would you rather have your house burn down. . . oh, and we'll send you a brand new air fryer. . . do we have your attention now?" So, I mean I had to think twice because I do need a new kitchen and the old was working fine but I did the dance, cut the electrical cord, took pictures of it, filled out the recall and I got a brand new one. Same thing, less house burny, seems just as good as the old one. New model number is CP-159AF, it goes for $95 on Amazon, I recommend it and I do like they stood behind their product and sent me a brand new one. I got 4.5 years out of the old one, I don't see myself buying another for 5 or 10 years.

Figured out the wings thing and now it's our preferred method. Lightly oil, dry seasoning and cook 25 min at 400. Take out, coat with favorite sauce and back in for 3-4 minutes. Been adding a little baking soda at the beginning for extra crispness.

Figured out the wings thing and now it's our preferred method. Lightly oil, dry seasoning and cook 25 min at 400. Take out, coat with favorite sauce and back in for 3-4 minutes. Been adding a little baking soda at the beginning for extra crispness.
Will have to try this. You mix the baking soda with the dry seasoning? Or is it a coat on it's own first before the dry seasoning?

Users who are viewing this thread