What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Wilkins - RB - Colts (1 Viewer)

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
I think he is. Problem is, there are at least two of them, and maybe even three.
I can't understand why they gave Michael most of the carries with the first team. Hopefully Wilkins gets a chance with the starters in the third game.

According to ESPN Colts reporter Mike Wells, fifth-round RB Jordan Wilkins is the "frontrunner" to start if Marlon Mack (hamstring) is unable to play against the Bengals in Week 1.

Mack is still working back from a hamstring injury and looks questionable at best for next week's opener. With Robert Turbin suspended and fellow rookie Nyheim Hines coming off a hellish preseason, Wilkins figures to get the first crack at leading Indy's backfield. The NC State alum didn't find much daylight as a ball-carrier this summer (2.8 yards per carry on 27 rushing attempts), but was effective as a pass-catcher, nabbing all five of his targets for 57 yards during preseason play. None of the Colts running backs make for great fantasy options, but if you have to pick one for next week, Wilkins would probably be your best bet.

Related: Marlon Mack

Source: ESPN.com 

Sep 2 - 11:38 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what is going to happen in that backfield but I don't see why people are so hot on Mack. 350 yards at 3.8 ypc is not impressive. Fourth round pick is not elite. The team drafted two RBs in this draft so obviously they were not fully convinced. And now he has missed most of the pre-season.  

az_prof said:
I don't know what is going to happen in that backfield but I don't see why people are so hot on Mack. 350 yards at 3.8 ypc is not impressive. Fourth round pick is not elite. The team drafted two RBs in this draft so obviously they were not fully convinced. And now he has missed most of the pre-season.  
it's just a mess of a situation. Hines has looked terrible. Mack was supposed to get first crack at starting. Turbin seems better suited to short yardage duties. And then there is always the Michael supporters. I think Wilkins owners would feel better if he looked more ready to seize the opportunity and quell the jitters. Wilkins has looked like he belongs, imo, but he's shown himself to be a banger between the tackles rather than explosive (which gets people excited). i think the Colts offense will be shaky while Luck gains confidence and returns to form. 

it's just a mess of a situation. Hines has looked terrible. Mack was supposed to get first crack at starting. Turbin seems better suited to short yardage duties. And then there is always the Michael supporters. I think Wilkins owners would feel better if he looked more ready to seize the opportunity and quell the jitters. Wilkins has looked like he belongs, imo, but he's shown himself to be a banger between the tackles rather than explosive (which gets people excited). i think the Colts offense will be shaky while Luck gains confidence and returns to form. 
Tough to analyse because nothing opened up for anybody. I would have liked to see Wilkins dominate leaving no question. Now we are left wondering what's in store. I'm inclined to maintain Wilkins is their best option, but thats tinged with biase.

But at least he's way better than Hines. I'd label him a solid hold. 

Yeah I agree it’s a shaky year for thecolts offense. If luck can truly push the ball downfield then maybe not, but if he’s playing the Sam Bradford dink and dunk with no defense and no running game it’s not going to work. 

Wilkins can win this job and keep it and be a fantasy relevant RB
I agree. It's not like Mack is a stud.

It would be a real boon for those of us who were able to get Wilkins in the 4th round of rookie drafts. He instantly reminded me of Matt Forte when I started scouting him & I later saw where GM Chris Ballard mentioned the same thing. The Colts really like him which always helps.

I was super-high on Forte when he came out, but while I'm not nearly as high on Wilkins, he's got enough talent to surprise.

I agree. It's not like Mack is a stud.

It would be a real boon for those of us who were able to get Wilkins in the 4th round of rookie drafts. He instantly reminded me of Matt Forte when I started scouting him & I later saw where GM Chris Ballard mentioned the same thing. The Colts really like him which always helps.

I was super-high on Forte when he came out, but while I'm not nearly as high on Wilkins, he's got enough talent to surprise.
Mack and Hines have the athletic traits to do well with a hole provided, but lack the vision to negotiate one. Wilkins reactions and instincts will help for running behind a crappy o-line, which didn't look improved in the pre-season. But I just don't see him having any performance so good as to force the Colts hand. He can get and extra yard or two every play but he won't knock your pants off. I'm hoping otherwise, but looks like RBBC to me.

Mack and Hines have the athletic traits to do well with a hole provided, but lack the vision to negotiate one. Wilkins reactions and instincts will help for running behind a crappy o-line, which didn't look improved in the pre-season. But I just don't see him having any performance so good as to force the Colts hand. He can get and extra yard or two every play but he won't knock your pants off. I'm hoping otherwise, but looks like RBBC to me.
Yeah, RBBC is the likely outcome if Mack isn't the feature back.

That said, Wilkins is one of those guys whose upside is "sneaky" enough to be a surprise.

With Mack officially out I'm throwing Warm Body Wilkins up against the wall in PPR flex2 over Stills and Kerryon. 

Anyone else rolling the dice with the rookie and hoping for volume?

Jordan Wilkins will be the Colts' starting running back in Week 1.

He'll face a Bengals run defense that is missing WLB Vontaze Burfict (hamstring) but remains largely stout up front. Of more concern for Wilkins' fantasy outlook is his RBBC with Christine Michael and Nyheim Hines. New Colts coach Frank Reich was a committee-backfield proponent during his time in Philadelphia.

Sep 9 - 12:02 PM

I didn’t watch the game, and the numbers were underwhelming. Anyone who watched the game care to chime in on how he actually looked?

We might have something here, guys. 10 carries for 61 yards & a couple catches.

Wilkins got hurt early, but came back & was their choice to protect the lead with the finishing drive in the 4th quarter.

That said, I haven't watched the game yet (I'm behind this week), but the YPC was great. Wilkins also has some upside as a receiver so feature back duties are still a real possibility if he can separate himself from Mack & Hines a little bit.

Any thoughts?

Wilkins got hurt early, but came back & was their choice to protect the lead with the finishing drive in the 4th quarter.

That said, I haven't watched the game yet (I'm behind this week), but the YPC was great. Wilkins also has some upside as a receiver so feature back duties are still a real possibility if he can separate himself from Mack & Hines a little bit.

Any thoughts?
When I watched the game (diehard colts fan) I thought Mack looked like the clear superior runner.  With that being said I believe I saw Mack on the injury report again. 

When I watched the game (diehard colts fan) I thought Mack looked like the clear superior runner.  With that being said I believe I saw Mack on the injury report again. 
Mack was 10-34, but that obviously doesn't tell the whole story. I'm not a big Mack guy, though.

I'll watch & report back. Numbers can lie so I'll give my take (whatever that can be from one game), but seems like Indy likes Wilkins quite a bit.

Any thoughts?
Solid. Best back on the team by my eye. I wish he had a little more burst though. He's a smaller less powerful Jordan Howard. With Mack continually out he might steal the show if not for the Colts insistence on keeping Hines involved. There's no reason the little guy should get carries in the fourth quarter while nursing a lead. But maybe the arbitrary usage keeps them both from game script fails.

Solid. Best back on the team by my eye. I wish he had a little more burst though. He's a smaller less powerful Jordan Howard. With Mack continually out he might steal the show if not for the Colts insistence on keeping Hines involved. There's no reason the little guy should get carries in the fourth quarter while nursing a lead. But maybe the arbitrary usage keeps them both from game script fails.
Like I said, I need to watch the game, but Wilkins REALLY reminded me of Forte while scouting him for my rookies drafts this past offseason. In fact, it was interesting when GM Chris Ballard mentioned the same thing after the draft (& after I had noticed it).

I actually need to watch week 1, too (I'm way behind), but any similarity in his play to Forte so far in the pros? That's one thing I want to check out, but I realize it's only been 2 games & limited opportunities so it's hard to get a good feel.

I like Wilkins and he's great from an NFL perspective, but I also like Mack and think he's every bit as good, if not better, than Wilkins.  This will hamper the value of both players fantasy wise.  They seem to compliment each other very well. As I stated in a post somewhere on footballguys land, I think the Colts OL is better than it was last year and I really like Quenton Nelson and Ryan Kelly.  Constanzo has been out and I think he's a little overrated, but the Colts need him.  I do think he gets beat on pass protection too often when going up against top tier DL.

I watched both his games (because he is on my team). He seems pretty avg running so far and not much burst. He can catch pretty good tho. He had a couple good runs where the offense line got him a good start.

Frank Reich said Jordan Wilkins and Jonathan Williams are battling for a spot.

Reich explained the running back rotation he expects to use in 2019, and it's basically the same as last year. Marlon Mack is the "main guy" and Nyheim Hines is the third-down back. That leaves Spencer Ware, Jordan Wilkins, and Jonathan Williams left with crumbs. As a rookie last year, Wilkins averaged 5.6 yards per carry and caught 16-of-17 targets. It would be a surprise if Wilkins didn't have a spot.

SOURCE: 1070 The Fan

Jun 11, 2019, 9:27 PM ET

Colts RB Jordan Wilkins (ankle) said he feels like he'll "be ready to go" for Week 12 against the Texans.

Wilkins didn't practice at all leading up to Indianapolis' win over the Jaguars but said his ankle progressed faster than expected throughout the week. His presence would obviously throw a wrench into the Colts' backfield even with Marlon Mack (hand) done for the foreseeable future. Johnathan Williams played 31 snaps in the interim on Sunday and is expected to get the first crack at Houston's front-seven even if Wilkins is cleared Thursday.

SOURCE: George Bremer on Twitter

Nov 18, 2019, 2:20 PM ET

Not sure how this split is going to work out but Wilkins should receive a fair amount even if Williams is the starter.   

Wilkins is coming back sooner than expected.  It might mean he isn't 100% but the 6-4 Colts are desperate playing on the road against 6-4 division rival Texans.  I'll roster Wilkins, Williams, and/or Hines but would only start one of them if my fantasy team was truly desperate.  I doubt Indy will show their hand this week.  They might do the opposite of what they say they will do.

Colts' Jordan Wilkins: Heightened role awaits

Coach Frank Reich said Monday that Wilkins (ankle) and Jonathan Williams will likely split most of the work available in the backfield while Marlon Mack (hand) is out indefinitely, Joel A. Erickson of The Indianapolis Star reports.

After undergoing surgery to repair the fractured right hand he sustained in Sunday's 33-13 win over the Jaguars, Mack has already been ruled out for the Colts' Week 12 game against the Texans and will most likely miss a few more contests beyond that. With Wilkins' own ankle issue keeping him inactive Sunday, Williams shouldered the load effectively, rushing 13 times for 116 yards and taking his lone reception for a 31-yard gain. That strong outing may give Williams a leg up over Wilkins in picking up work, especially with the latter shaking off an injury and now facing a quick turnaround with the Colts playing in Houston on Thursday night. Nyheim Hines also lingers as another option in the backfield, but Reich suggested the 5-foot-9 scatback would mostly remain in a change-of-pace role.

Jordan Wilkins (ankle) returned to Colts practice Tuesday, getting in a limited session.

It's a big deal, as Wilkins' return would mean Jonathan Williams was no longer a plug-and-play RB2 in Marlon Mack's absence. It's quite possible Wilkins even takes the lead, though a few limited practices after a 10-day absence might not be enough for Wilkins to be ready. This is a waive wire situation to monitor closely. It's probably worth hedging your Williams bets a little.

RELATED: 

Jonathan Williams

Nov 19, 2019, 4:19 PM ET

I'm about to spend 20-25% FAAB on this brocacho. Maybe more as it's already week 12...

Just spent the rest of my FAAB on this guy (10%) while the rest of my league scrambled for Williams. 

Just spent the rest of my FAAB on this guy (10%) while the rest of my league scrambled for Williams. 
WEEK 12 PROJECTION

4.6points

An uptick in touches is expected for Wilkins in Week 12 with Marlon Mack ailing, but the Colts relied on the explosive Jonathan Williams far more often than Wilkins in Week 11. Likely still third in line for meaningful touches, it's best to avoid Wilkins for this division matchup with Houston.
What's up with this ESPN Outlook for this week? I was looking to add Wilkins but this made me hesitate. Seems off base maybe?

It would be a bit weird for Wilkins to go from inactive to ready to roll 4 days later, but we don't know how close to healthy he was last week I guess. 

I'm guessing Wilkins steals a few touches, but Williams or Hines is the primary back depending on what the game script looks like. 

ESPN and CBS has ridiculously bad quality fantasy content 15-20 years ago.  They have both improved dramatically.  Now, they are just bad instead of laughably bad.

ESPN and CBS has ridiculously bad quality fantasy content 15-20 years ago.  They have both improved dramatically.  Now, they are just bad instead of laughably bad.
It's true that nobody is laughing. More like shaking your head at an uncle who has told the same joke at Thanksgiving like 20 times. It was almost funny once but now the telling of the joke has become the joke itself. 

Seriously though everyone picked up Williams but maybe Wilkins is the smarter play. ??

I'm about to spend 20-25% FAAB on this brocacho. Maybe more as it's already week 12...
A guy who will probably split carries with Williams, lose receptions to Hines in negative game scripts and faces the two toughest defenses vs RB on the road in weeks 14 and 15.  No thanks.  

Would have to have serious stones to play this guy this week. 

Picked him up, but will probably sit to see how it shakes out. If he does regain the backup role and Mack is out a while that would be huge. Anyone can run behind that line.

Would have to have serious stones to play this guy this week. 

Picked him up, but will probably sit to see how it shakes out. If he does regain the backup role and Mack is out a while that would be huge. Anyone can run behind that line.
They might announce a starter before the game.  That would help a lot.

Added him and JWill. I think even if a starter is announced, I’m going to roll with Montgomery to give it a wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread